(Topic ID: 263309)

Help! Brittle mylar not coming off well.

By cbartal

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RonSS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0082 (resized).JPG
DSC_0081 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cbartal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I read a bunch of posts about mylar removal and have tried the heat gun, freezing, and the goo gone/razor blade method, but none of them are working very well. The freezing seems to be the worst as it has removed chunks of the base paint. When I use heat, the mylar(?) melts and shrinks and hardens before the glue softens. The goo gone kind of works, but it's taking super long. I plan on repainting a significant portion of the playfield due to the damaged paint from previous owners plus the stuff I've pulled up. Any other suggestions to speed up the process but limit the damage? It took me over an hour to do a 9"x9" area badly. Does that sound about right? This is my first restoration, and I've chosen a really rough pin to do, but it is Space Mission and in the end should be worth it . Any tips or advice will be appreciated. Money is an object, so I'm trying to use more sweat equity than throwing money at it.

DSC_0081 (resized).JPGDSC_0081 (resized).JPG
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is there reason why the mylar needed to be removed?
Personally, I never attempt it unless the mylar is actually damaged in some way, especially on playfields with just a topcoat, rather than a clearcoat. Otherwise, yes, you risk paint loss.

I was hoping to remove all the tape/mylar because there are little pieces of it all over instead of one big piece, so it looks patchy and it's causing ball wear around the edges. Plus some of the covered areas need repainted because they're over already worn areas. I know I'll have to repaint a lot, but I definitely don't want to trash the playfield. As I mentioned, I'm trying to do it as inexpensively as possible but still trying to get it to look as good as I can. I'm decent with paint and don't mind that part of the work. I just need a faster way to remove the tape/mylar.

DSC_0082 (resized).JPGDSC_0082 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I think it is mylar,a very thin type. I had the same problem on a game but I used heat and it came off nicely.

I think that it may have been mylar, but I finally figured out that if I hit it with the heat gun for 5-10 seconds, it was enough to soften the adhesive and pull a little bit up at a time without causing the mylar to shrink and become brittle . I still lost a little paint on some of the very bad parts, but it came up much easier and took off much less paint than my first attempts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cbartal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-brittle-mylar-not-coming-off-well?tu=cbartal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.