• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00-90 Unit (resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

So, I've got a 1975 Chicago Coin Blue Max pinball. It's been working well, but for some reason, the tens stopped scoring. When the ball rolls over something that is worth ten points- nothing. All other scoring is working.

A couple things I've checked:
- The tens relay in the back box is not stuck on. If I manually press the tens relay, the tens reel will advance and the chime will ring.
- The wiring to the tens switches seems to be good. I don't notice any wires that have come loose.

Can you give me some advice? What should I check next? Any idea why the tens would just stop scoring?

Thanks in advance!

Barky

#2 8 years ago

Can you activate any 10 point switch and at the same time observe the 10 point relay to see if it moves at all? Is it completely dead or does it move a little bit?

You know the 10 point relay works as it should when you push it manually, so that part is good.

Not sure about this machine, but on mine (Bally) there is a lock-in for the 10 point relay that is tied to the NC 10 point reel solenoid "end of stroke" switch. When the 10 point relay is briefly activated by a switch on the playfield, the lock-in switch keeps it closed until the solenoid has gone all the way to the end. When it gets to the end, the end of stroke switch opens up and the 10 point relay shuts off.

If that lock-in switch on the 10 point relay is misadjusted (or needs cleaning), or the end of stroke switch on the 10 point score reel solenoid is misadjusted, it might cause this. In the words of the Bally guide: "The lock-in circuit is used to insure a proper advance of the drum unit".

Do you have a schematic?

#3 8 years ago

schematic?

Does this happen on all four players or just player 1?

have you tried each of the 10pt switches individually to see if they score or not? If none then it is most likely due to the 10-90 relay having a misgapped switch. or the EOS on the 10 point reel as mentioned by xsvtoys.

#4 8 years ago

Hi Barky
I must make a copy down onto my computer: "Right-hand-side Mouse-Click" -> "Save Target as .." then I can have a look at the schema "Cinema": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=513

In the schema at A-10 I see the coil of the "10-Point-Relay (10-90 Re.)" - and nearby I see a 0.7 Amp Slow-Blow-Fuse. DoesYour Blue Max have such fuses ? Greetings Rolf

#5 8 years ago

All,

Thank you for your replies. I swear this is the most helpful and knowledgeable board on the internet. I'm not joking!

Rolf- You definitely pointed me in the right direction. I had no idea that the 10-point circuit had its own fuse. You guessed it - blown. It was difficult to see with the slo-blo fuse. Replaced the fuse and she's back up and running.

Last time I used it I seem to remember cleaning a contact under the playfield and accidentally sparking two contacts. That's what must have blown the fuse. I didn't notice it until we fired it up again today. Problem solved.

Thanks again for all your help!

Barky

1 year later
#6 7 years ago

So… I realize I’m new to this addiction, and this may look like I’m just opening an old thread for nothing – but this really does apply…
I’ve got a 1975 CCM Blue Max that I'm pulling out of hibernation (about 18-20 years) and while it' probably 95% working, I've got a problem scoring 10’s. I was so excited to read the post about the fuse. But wouldn’t you know it – it’s not that simple. And since it’s not working – I don’t even know what scores a 10. Is it just hitting a regular side bumper? All other targets and the thumper bumpers say “100” at a minimum…. So just hitting a rubber side bumper seems logical. I’m going to go home and troubleshoot based on these posts – but I have another issue I’d like some assistance on, if someone could help.

The picture I’m attaching is of the 00-99 Unit – and as you can see, the 1st and 3rd connection have been jumpered – along with the 3rd and 5th. I’m no genius – but I don’t think this looks right. I’m not 100% sure what this unit actually does, though I suspect it has to do with the bonus games at the end of a game – where your last two digits match something from 00 through 90. But since my 10’s aren’t working, my last two digits for each player is always 00.

Can anyone look at this and point me in a direction?

Many thanks, in advance.

00-90 Unit (resized).jpg00-90 Unit (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-blue-max-tens-not-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.