Help, Best crimp tool for repinning connectors?

(Topic ID: 182234)

Help, Best crimp tool for repinning connectors?

By Mark66

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Budwin
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Amp Tool (resized).JPG
Amp Head-1 (resized).JPG
Amp Head-2 (resized).JPG
b (resized).png
IDC (resized).jpg
IMG_3265 (resized).JPG
IMG_2955 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I need your professional opinions on the best crimp tool for repining connectors on a early Bally SS pin. Best brand and or where to purchase. Thanks, I know there has been some past suggestions on other threads cant seem to find them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Any links would be great.

#2 1 year ago

I'm not a professional by any means, but I've been using my Waldom branded crimpers for quite some time, and it hasn't led me astray. I've successfully crimped entire games (mostly Gottlieb System 1s) with them with no troubles. I picked it up at Great Plains Electronics, model W-HT-1921.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=138

For the larger .156 connections you see on rectifier boards, you'll want to pick up the red handled crimper (although, I've used my crimper for the larger connectors with no troubles--you just have to be more careful. Probably not recommended to do, but it works in a pinch.)

#4 1 year ago

I've got the expensive and the cheap and this is the one I always use now:

amazon.com link »

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

amazon.com link »

hailrazer Is this for the .156 or .100?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

hailrazer Is this for the .156 or .100?

I got same one (HT-225D) and it does both

#7 1 year ago

Get these

IMG_2955 (resized).JPG

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from chas10e:

I got same one (HT-225D) and it does both

So it has 4 different sizes? Wire and instillation on both sizes?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

So it has 4 different sizes? Wire and instillation on both sizes?

2 .... it crimps the conductor and the strain-relief at the same time for both sizes

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from chas10e:

2 .... it crimps the conductor and the strain-relief at the same time for both sizes
» YouTube video

Awesome! Thanks.

#11 1 year ago

Ok a little off topic but, is there a tool for these connectors? The little screwdriver just doesn't seam right.

IMG_3265 (resized).JPG

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok a little off topic but, is there a tool for these connectors? The little screwdriver just doesn't seam right.

I would think a "punch down tool" for telephone/communication for IDE headers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_down_tool

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

is there a tool for these connectors?

Marco's website isn't working right now, but here's the tool you'd want from pinrestore. It's about halfway down the page.

http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Marco's website isn't working right now, but here's the tool you'd want from pinrestore. It's about halfway down the page.

Thanks, I seen one a while back that had handles like a pair of pliers. Haven't been able to find it again.

#15 1 year ago

I use this one from ebay 181112865104 looks the same as the HT-225D, but with three sets of dies, and does a good job. Close the jaws a little bit and the ratchet holds the terminal and then feed the wire in then the crimp does the conductor and strain relief simultaneously. Does 0.156 and 0.100" terminals.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

throw those in the garbage and use the molex ones. 10x's better. These are just crap.

And the crimper that pin restore sells is top notch. it's expensive. But I have yet to ever have a bad crimp from it. You do NOT want to go cheap in this department. Just going to leave you frustrated.

#17 1 year ago

Absolute best crimpers are Certicrimp crimpers from AMP. Those generally start in the $300s and aren't found in a lot of places.

IMHO - best crimpers are the ones with locators such as the Molex HTR2445A (Sargent 3136CT). No holding the pin - push up tab, drop pin in hole, release tab. locator holds pin in proper place. Locator doubles as a wire stop to keep you from inserting wire too far, crimper then crimps both wire and insulation at same time. But these crimpers tend to run $100+. You can OFTEN find them on ebay at <$40 per pair.

The sub $50 crimpers -- this tends to be a Ford versus Chevy type issue. Lots to pick from - some suck ... some work quite well. But I don't use any in this category - I bought a full set of Molex crimpers off ebay.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

amazon.com link »

^^^^ Yes ^^^^^, you want the ratcheting type: HT-225D . This is a good one. I bought the regular type and it was tedious to work with.

#19 1 year ago

Well all of you well informed have been a huge help, the HT-225D it is.. I had checked this one out on Amazon, just wasn't sure it was the right one. Thanks for all the recommendations and help!!

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

amazon.com link »

Not saying the crimper is bad, but according to the description, it's only for 3 and 4 pin Molex Connectors.

#21 1 year ago

... so if it's a 2 pin connector, I'm hosed?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

... so if it's a 2 pin connector, I'm hosed?

Exactly!

#23 1 year ago

I don't know what you mean...but then again I only use trifuricon pins, so the size of the connector is not relevant.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

If you're going to be doing a lot of those a good ratcheting tool is a must, but if you don't use them often or only for a few connectors, these are fine:

IDC (resized).jpg

There's one for .100 and .156 spacing connectors. Just don't use a screwdriver or something else with a blade edge. it's sloppy, can damage the connector and you can hurt yourself.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Mark66:

I need your professional opinions on the best crimp tool for repining connectors on a early Bally SS pin. Best brand and or where to purchase. Thanks, I know there has been some past suggestions on other threads cant seem to find them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Any links would be great.

I did a whole video on the repin process using these crimper. They are great. Here is a link to the video and the crimper. Hope this helps.

amazon.com link »

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from hailrazer:

amazon.com link »

Will this work with both 22-26AWG wire (Smaller wire size), and 18-20AWG size wire (Larger wire size)?

#27 1 year ago

Ok simple question. What is correct length of exposed wire? 1/2 1/4?

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Will this work with both 22-26AWG wire (Smaller wire size), and 18-20AWG size wire (Larger wire size)?

The link says 28 to 18 AWG.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok simple question. What is correct length of exposed wire? 1/2 1/4?

Size it based on your connector. It should protrude slightly beyond the crimp, but not far enough that it would impede the connector's action.

b (resized).png

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yes it has 2 crimp sections, one for 18-20 and one for 22-26

1 week later
#31 1 year ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Absolute best crimpers are Certicrimp crimpers from AMP. Those generally start in the $300s and aren't found in a lot of places.
IMHO - best crimpers are the ones with locators such as the Molex HTR2445A (Sargent 3136CT).

I have both Sargent 3136-CT for .156, and Sargent 3135-CT for .100
They are kind of spendy at $110 ea but worth every penny IMO. got them at Great Plains Electronics. Nice tools made in USA!

2 weeks later
#32 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

There are ratcheting tools from AMP that work well.

Get off eBay cheaper.

Amp TE Series = Molex

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-williams-cpu-board-connector-j209

Pistol Grip: Tyco/AMP 58074-1
0.100" Crimp Head : Tyco/AMP 58246-1
0.156 Crimp Head : Tyco/AMP 58247-1

Amp Head-2 (resized).JPG

Amp Head-1 (resized).JPG

Amp Tool (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside