Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160903_170306 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I put my games in storage 5 years ago and I could have sworn I took the batteries out, however upon opening one of the 3 today, I noticed the batteries never got removed from TOM. They have leaked in the battery holder, picture below. What is the best course of action here? I have not yet powered up the game or anything, do I clean the contacts? Do I have to replace the boards? Please advise.

Thanks

Rob

20160903_170306 (resized).jpg20160903_170306 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Pull the battery holder off the main MPU PCB and have a good look at what's under it.

Post some pics.

RM

#3 7 years ago

Doesn't look bad from the photo. Remove holder from board, clean board thoroughly if any corrosion present. Install NVRAM or remote holder.

#4 7 years ago

No corrosion on the board at all from what I can see, I just pulled holder out. So I cannot resuse the existing holder I assume? So what is recommended? NVram or remote holder? I saw Any dmd+ I believe its called, is that the one to get?

#5 7 years ago

i had some battery leakage similar to that and eventually had to redo the connector below it. thought i was safe but started getting intermittent problems that got worse over time

#6 7 years ago

connector below it looks good for now.

#7 7 years ago

For nvram. It appears it's not plug and play? Can someone confirm and I'll just pick up a remote battery.

#8 7 years ago

http://nvram.weebly.com/
6264 is for WPC games.

PM barakandi on Pinside, he's an expert on NVRAM. I linked his site above.

#9 7 years ago

Thank you. Assuming I end up ordering something, can I play without the batteries in for the meantime?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

can I play without the batteries in for the meantime?

Yes. Only thing is if you turn it off, it will revert to factory default settings. It won't remember scores or adjustments you made.

LTG : )

#11 7 years ago

Nvram on that game requires de soldering the old ram, then soldering in a socket then put the chip in.
If your not good with board work I wouldn't recommend it.

#12 7 years ago

brush out holder put batterys in and try to play maybe no trouble for now lol never know

#13 7 years ago

What do you clean it with?

#15 7 years ago

You linked to a good article but you completely contradicted it when you said to use baking soda!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You linked to a good article but you completely contradicted it when you said to use baking soda!

Exactly! Use vinegar and water.

Battery "acid" in the case of pinball is NOT ACID! It is alkaline as we use alkaline batteries.

To neutralise the alkaline you need to use the opposite - an acid.

Vinegar is a very mild acid.

People need to stop saying "acid damage" when referring to this issue and say something like "corrosion damage" or "battery damage" either one but the correct terminology should be used to stop misleading people and potentially causing more problems for the unsuspecting.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

No corrosion on the board at all from what I can see, I just pulled holder out. So I cannot resuse the existing holder I assume? So what is recommended? NVram or remote holder? I saw Any dmd+ I believe its called, is that the one to get?

I would replace the battery holder and install Lithium AAs.

Not as slick as NVRAM but requires no delicate desoldering and the Lithium batteries are very very unlikely to ever leak.

That's what I use in all my WPC games.

DE/Sega/Stern games with socketed RAM get NVRAM.

RM

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Exactly! Use vinegar and water.
Battery "acid" in the case of pinball is NOT ACID! It is alkaline as we use alkaline batteries.
To neutralise the alkaline you need to use the opposite - an acid.
Vinegar is a very mild acid.

You can also use lemon juice.

Quoted from Homepin:

People need to stop saying "acid damage" when referring to this issue and say something like "corrosion damage" or "battery damage" either one but the correct terminology should be used to stop misleading people and potentially causing more problems for the unsuspecting.

They should say potassium hydroxide leak resulting in corrosive potassium carbonate damage.

#19 7 years ago

So I let sit in vinegar and water and all the green is gone. Can I reuse temporarily?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So I let sit in vinegar and water and all the green is gone. Can I reuse temporarily?

No! The damaged holder is garbage. It needs to be removed from the board completely.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I dont see y not bc thst holder is on a separate board above the cpu which it was a great design change at the time.... to bad they went back to it on the board in wpc 95

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

You can do anything you want to, the only concern is that there may be alkaline trapped under the battery holder that will continue to degrade the board, but if this is the case, it's going to happen whether you use it or not. Personally I wouldn't use it as I would be concerned for the connectors under the battery holder, but if you haven't replaced any of those yet, then you will not likely do any more harm by using it.

#23 7 years ago

Extend the wires and mount it remotely. You can even put it in the coinbox. What's the worst that can happen? The batteries don't make good connection and you lose your settings. When you get a new battery holder, the wires are already extended. Of coarse, NVRAM is the best option.

#24 7 years ago

I'll probably just get this

ebay.com link: WPC MPU Security Board Quick Remote Battery Kit for Williams Pinball

Seems simple and cheap. I was thinking of extending the wires on this one, but because of the pins that come out the bottom, mounting it would be a chore.

#25 7 years ago

Do you.live n the USA? If so,.you can .send to me, I will install a NVRAM for you for $25 which includes the NVRAM, socket and return shipping

#26 7 years ago

Working for now.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you.live n the USA? If so,.you can .send to me, I will install a NVRAM for you for $25 which includes the NVRAM, socket and return shipping

Yes, I do, Florida and thank you for the generous offer, But even if I did do that, isn't the vram a problem for TOM? I thought its a problem for games like tom that do midnight madness and such. For NGG and Dr. Dude. I would probably do it.

#28 7 years ago

Take him up on this offer. NONE of your games should have batteries. NVRAMs pay for themselves over time and eliminate the waste of batteries. I won't let a battery anywhere near my cabinets except for my system 3 which has a button cell and no NVRAM solution yet.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

I thought its a problem for games like tom that do midnight madness

Different kind of Midnight Madness. Not dependent on the internal clock.

"There are numerous side goals such as spelling "Theatre" and advancing the clock to Midnight Madness (not to be confused with the midnight madness featured in some other Bally/WMS games)"

#30 7 years ago

I think I will probably send it out. Have to setup one of the other games first though. Kid ain't gonna let me send it out when he just got a game to play with.

#31 7 years ago

Pick a time when you know the game will not be played for at least a week. If you put it in the mail on a Saturday afternoon, You should have it back by that following Saturday. I usually have good luck with USPS priority mail. I'll PM my address.

I do suggest using Lithium batteries in the mean time.

#32 7 years ago

What other games do you have?

#33 7 years ago

What other games do you have?

NGG and Dr. Dude.

#34 7 years ago

Can get those done as well.

#35 7 years ago

Started new thread for NGG in case anyone can help, this one looks pretty bad.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-leak-in-ngg-suggestions-please#post-3332311

#36 7 years ago

And a picture of Dr Dude MPU ?

#37 7 years ago

Don't know, haven't got that one unwrapped yet.

#38 7 years ago

Better unwrap it quickly! Stop the damage from going to other boards if you can.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Better unwrap it quickly! Stop the damage from going to other boards if you can.

I agree!!! These original System 11 MPU boards are hard to find in working condition. Although, they do pop on Ebay now and then. I think even Rottendog MPU boards have been selling out fast, but I would rather have an original board repaired in this case than install a new replacement Rottendog board.

#40 7 years ago

I'm a firm believer in using AA sized lithium batteries, I have never seen one leak even in equipment that is subjected to temperature swings from (-25F to 105F). NVRAM is nice, but if the RAM is soldered in why bother messing with it, it's just too easy to use AA sized lithium and call it done. I use the 9V version in my home smoke detectors, they have now outlasted the 10 year lifespan of the smoke detectors and the last one I measured still read 9V

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm a firm believer in using AA sized lithium batteries, I have never seen one leak even in equipment that is subjected to temperature swings from (-25F to 105F). NVRAM is nice, but if the RAM is soldered in why bother messing with it, it's just too easy to use AA sized lithium and call it done. I use the 9V version in my home smoke detectors, they have now outlasted the 10 year lifespan of the smoke detectors and the last one I measured still read 9V

For those that have the skills (or $20 going rate or less at a show) to install NVRAM it's a far superior option to any type of battery, including alkaline, coin cell and lithium. Also, the fact that a 9V lithium battery still measures near 9V after years of use doesn't mean it's not 1 day away from dropping dramatically. Lithiums do not lose voltage linearly like an alkaline, they are near 100% and then drop off almost instantly. For example - I had a CPS2 arcade board that still had the factory lithium battery installed from 1994. When I replaced it in 2013, the battery still measured near full voltage. No way I was gonna chance it any longer with a nearly 20 year old suicide battery.

3 weeks later
#42 7 years ago

I played my TZ yesterday that I haven't for a while. The settings were reset so I figured the batteries died. During the game, some coil started firing for no reason, some switches not registering, etc. I stopped and looked at the batteries, one had leaked. Luckily, they are on a remote holder so I took everything off and going to replace the holder. Is that normal behavior if the batteries are bad for the game to act like that?

BTW, the batteries were Fuji EnviroMax I bought 2 years ago and had an expiration date of 2021...

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I played my TZ yesterday that I haven't for a while. The settings were reset so I figured the batteries died. During the game, some coil started firing for no reason, some switches not registering, etc. I stopped and looked at the batteries, one had leaked. Luckily, they are on a remote holder so I took everything off and going to replace the holder. Is that normal behavior if the batteries are bad for the game to act like that?
BTW, the batteries were Fuji EnviroMax I bought 2 years ago and had an expiration date of 2021...

I can't speak for TZ but in a typical game what you are describing is an issue other than no batteries. Usually lack of settings and high score saves is the only consequences to lack of batteries. Assuming they didn't leak anywhere else (you said remote holder) you probably have another issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-batteries-leaked-in-tom-game?hl=starwriter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.