Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chalkup8
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN6437.JPG
    IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

hello

i could use some advice on building out this basement room into a game room.
    there is underfloor heating, which keeps out the moisture.

i was going to use a wire brush on the stone and brick and then put a glaze type thing on it.
    maybe carpet?
    not sure what to do about the windows.

all advice welcome.

IMG_0063.JPGIMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPGIMG_0064.JPG
    #2 9 years ago

Hey,

I put carpet down in mine. Standing on concrete for any length of time is kind of hard on the feet, or so I find...

Luke

#3 9 years ago

What are the dimentions of the room?

#4 9 years ago

1) Move boxes out
    2) Put a keg in the room
    3) Move games into room and plug them in

GAME ROOM COMPLETE!

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from KillyKillall:

1) Move boxes out
    2) Put a keg in the room
    3) Move games into room and plug them in
    GAME ROOM COMPLETE!

Than call us up for a grand opening.

#6 9 years ago

I put backglasses in my basement windows. You could also go to a car skin shop and have them make vinyl sheets the exact size of your windows.

#7 9 years ago

For the bright windows,you could put slated timber blinds on them to match the doors.The stone /brick is a bonus to have in a gameroom.Enhance that for sure.Can you fit your 5 games on the right wall as you walk in?

#8 9 years ago

FWIW; the keg is the best option.

#9 9 years ago

the room could easily fit 6 games without even thinking about it.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from aveamike:

the room could easily fit 6 games without even thinking about it.

Then you'll probably manage to 10 in there!

#11 9 years ago

Whats the budget?

Are you doing the drywall work yourself?

Looks like some purging (the boxes and stuff) is first.

Patch the ceiling drywall.

I would tear all the plaster/drywall off the old fireplace up to the ceiling. Sandblast or otherwise clean the stone/brick and see if you like the look. If you don't like the look, I would drywall over the brick/stone rather than painting it.

Have the concrete floor ground smooth and stained or just carpet it.

Replace the trim on the windows to make it consistent or just stain/varnish if it already is.

Wire and install a TV above the fireplace (power and cable).

One problem you may have (can't see it in the pictures) is power for the machines. If you are installing 6 machines, you should have a dedicated electrical circuit or 2 installed to power them. It's likely most of your basement is on one circuit and 6 machines, the lighting and other electrical item (kegerator, for example) will consume that whole circuit causing the circuit breaker to blow when you try and run them all at once.

#12 9 years ago

window tint film will help before going venetian blinds curtains or whatever. some of the film is like partially mirrored to reflect away outside heat, helps insulate in winter, and increase some privacy, very easy to apply. that stonework shelf looks like its a bar already? definite YES about having a couple electric circuits so they arent overloaded, I'm also a fan of Uninterruptable Power Supplies aka surge protecting power conditioning battery backup units for computers, pinball machines have integrated them so that kind of protection isnt a bad idea at all. sheetrock paint carpet all easy enough, I'd want to wire in a bunch of recessed lighting "can" fixtures overhead which might not be fun when the sheetrock is already in place, so there I'd maybe go with indirect lighting instead between ceiling and walls? I'd call it a coin-toss on that, either way you're probably going to have to get through some sheetrock to power up the lights and it isnt that hard to redo, texturing is gonna hide seams etc anyway.

#13 9 years ago

I did a bunch of rehabs on older houses and we would clean up the brick or stone, repoint them if needed and then polyurethane them , looks awesome and locks everything in, I always did a high gloss finish but you can do satin if you don't want it too shiny, I always used minwax oil base

#14 9 years ago

Our fireplace was painted several times and one underlying layer would not come off using chemical strippers and sand blasting was not an option so I ended up painting it. People don't know it's painted, they think it's original.
    IMG_0315.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_0234.jpgIMG_0234.jpg

#15 9 years ago

hehehe, that's pretty awesome! Looks great!

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

People don't know it's painted, they think it's original.

That turned really well.Probably kind of fun to do.

I recently stripped the paint successfully off mine after stupidly painting it 12 years ago.DSCN6437.JPGDSCN6437.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-basement-gameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.