(Topic ID: 227269)

Help! Bally Xenon - many lamps out all at once - Lamp Matrix gurus?

By 500VDC

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by 500VDC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Xenon Lamps Out Chart (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Finishing up a Bally Xenon for Expo. All issues were gone, and had everything working. Decided to replace the ratty power cord. On first power up after that (several quick power cycles due to crappy power strip connection), 23 (maybe more) of my playfield controlled lamps are out! This also affected half of the surround lights (numbers 5, 6, 7 & 8 on all four sides). There may be some more on the backbox - I did not note every one, but most of the playfield is correct.

I did check several of these - they all lit fine when grounding the lamp board transistor's anode. That would seem to indicate a bad transistor - but not so many of them at once! Plus, there are lights out driven by the Aux Lamp Board too.

So, it must be upstream? It is not just one decoder out - there are outputs from every decoder leading to the lamps that are out. I made a quick chart with lamp, connector & pin, transistor number, and decoder and channel. See below. But I am not seeing a logical pattern yet - but maybe one of the address lines feeding those decoders? Maybe back to the MPU?

Anyone seen something like this? Full disclosure - I did do some soldering on some of the lamp sockets, but everything was OK until I shut down to replace the power cord. I have scanned for potential solder splatter, but have not found any yet.

Thanks in advance!

Xenon Lamps Out Chart (resized).pngXenon Lamps Out Chart (resized).png
#2 5 years ago
Quoted from 500VDC:

But I am not seeing a logical pattern yet

Look at bit 0. It needs to be high for those lamps to light, including the 5, 6, 7, 8 in the backbox. That lamp address 0 signal is likely shorted to ground somewhere.
Note, the lamp address 0 signal is also used as switch strobe 0 to the playfield and cabinet. Your problem likely exists at a switch somewhere; typically this happens at the start button on the coin door.

You can confirm if it's a short in the switch matrix by disconnecting J2 (playfield switch harness) and J3 (cabinet switch harness) from the MPU board and then see if the lamps work.

#3 5 years ago

I would have suspected power except you confirmed the lamps have power by grounding the anode.
Since it affects every switched lamp I assume off the main lamp board look for something general/ Start by checking the test points on the lamp board. Perhaps the 5v or gnd is missing?? Also as my guy Quench says, see if the strobe line is open. That's pin 13 of J4.

I'll be at expo Thursday evening. Bring your game and if I see it pulled over in the penalty box, (sorry, thats a Power Play joke), I'll stop by.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks, guys!
I just got the chance to try out Quench's suggestion. Starting the game with J2 & J3 off the MPU, all the attract mode lamps were lighting! (except the 30K Side Saucer, but that might be a different issue).

I tried it with J2 plugged in (J3 still out) with the same result.

I had earlier clipped 3 switch caps on the the 4 button switches on the arch to get switches 3 & 4 there working. I did not have replacements, but will have them when I get there. So there could be a solder blob somewhere on the playfield, or a diode or cap shorted?

Since you mentioned Strobe 0, might that narrow it down to the cabinet switches marked with ST0? Credit Reset, Tilt? I will take a look around those areas.

Matt

#5 5 years ago

SUCCESS!!
I went around the cabinet to the cabinet switches using ST0. The tilts were all OK, but then I saw the credit/start game button. I had changed the lock to a new one, and the old one was stubborn coming off. I was cranking on the large nut with a crescent wrench.

Well, the diode on that switch was resting up against the coin door metal! After pulling it away from there, and reconnecting J3, all the lamps are working again! (well, except that 30K lite, but I will look at that at Expo...I am loading the game in my car tonight)

Thanks so much for the spot-on insight! I did not know about that ST0 sharing between the switch and lamp matrices.

Many thanks!

Matt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-bally-xenon-many-lamps-out-all-at-once-lamp-matrix-gurus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.