Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201225_102439 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hey,
so this is my first machine (Bally Big Time) and im going though it. It was a total wreak when i got it, but through many hours of cleaning and obsessing on the schematic ive got it playable.
My last huge hurdle is the search indexing relay on the cu and search relays. The search indexing relay does not trip. when i got the machine the adjusting screw was turned in so far it was permanently engaged. I tested it and the relay is good. Since it never engages the search disk never stops spinning on the cu. When you sink a ball multiple search relays in the bank start randomly clicking. If you engage the indexing relay by hand they stop.
Having never played an em bingo machine is this relay noise normal? Nothing apears to be messing up while im playing it.

20201225_102439 (resized).jpg20201225_102439 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

the search relays powering isn't really random

as the search wipers spin, they are checking to see if balls are in holes in the playfield. If the hole switch is closed, the appropriate search relay is powered. If three+ adjacent search relays power at the same time, the search index coil is powered to stop the wipers on those rivets and the wipers are held there for the duration of the payout.

the info on manual pages 162 and 163 tells you which holes are being checked at each of the 50 wiper positions. Note the wipers are spinning clockwise, so the chart is traversed from the bottom up.

on big time the search wipers spin all the time, and although the search index coil is prevented from powering until the selector lock trip relay trips (4th ball is shot - or 5th ball if you have before 5th lit), search relays start chattering as soon as the first ball lands in a hole.

later bingos locked the search wipers and you had to push a button to release them to scan for a win. The early games preferred the noise and wear-n-tear.

the easy way to test basic function is shoot balls and dump them in holes to light 3+ adjacent numbers, verify the selector lock trip relay tripped, and if the search index coil doesn't power, hold down 3 adjacent search relay armature plates yourself. if the search index coil powers then, the problem is likely cruddy search disc rivets (search relays not powering when they should). If search index coil doesn't power, it's time to debug the circuit thru the search relay switches with a voltmeter and/or jumper wire.

#3 3 years ago

Ok just got home from work and tried it. The indexing relay is locking into place. I guess the relay noise must be normal. At any rate i can check that off. Thanks
Im down to a few more lights, the right washers and screws to holf down the playfield and locating a set of playfield light covers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-bally-bingo-search-relays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.