(Topic ID: 246421)

Help: Alltek MPU Over Voltage (Memory Lane)

By westofrome

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5B2FC392-FE23-49FE-A641-87C3C6F56EFF (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I picked up a non-working Memory Lane and am trying to get it up and running, but have run into a road block.

I started at the rectifier board. All fuses are correct values and buzz continuity. Then I plugged in J2 and turned the game on, and tested all five test points for proper voltage - they all checked out properly.

Next I turned the game off, plugged in J1 and J3 to the rectifier board, and turned it back on. All I get are GI lights, and a solid red light on the original Stern MPU.

Then I take out the power driver board with the intent of recapping it and performing standard mods. While I have it out, I decide to put in a working Alltek driver board from another game, to see if that solves the issue, but I still get the solid red light on the MPU. The Alltek has green LEDS indicating the proper power, including the cyclone LEDs.

Then I tried putting in an Alltek MPU set to Memory Clear (was in another machine) which is when I get the Over Voltage light on the MPU. So it seems like the trouble is in the power the MPU is getting.

All connectors to the MPU appear to be seated properly and with keys that line up. As I'm reading the schematic, it looks like J4 provides the power from the driver board? I could repin but I figure if that was the issue it would only reduce voltage, not increase it?

I'd appreciate help with next steps in terms of troubleshooting. Thanks!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2 4 years ago

Send your issue(s) to Dave at [email protected] he'll surely point you in the right direction!

#3 4 years ago

The state of the overvoltage LED is based on the relationship between the 5V and 12V power rails at the MPU board. It can and more than likely in your case is coming on because your 12V is low.

Post the actual voltages you measured.

#4 4 years ago

Repin the bottom right connector. Probably solves your problem

#5 4 years ago

Are you getting any mpu green flashes? I had this Altek over-volt problem with my EBD, it (and this group) helped me get closer to nailing it down by powering the game up with a different connector unplugged each time, like on the lamp board, mpu etc. until I could get past the overvolt and boot up.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I am only getting ~3VDC on the Altek MPU TP1 and TP4, so that is likely the source of the voltage differential. I was thrown by the "over voltage", thinking this must mean a specific voltage point was high, which didn't make sense in light of the new driver board and rectifier with proper test points.

In any case, I'm going to begin repinning. I know I should do it all, but to get things running I should begin with the MPU J4 and the driver board J3, correct?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I am only getting ~3VDC on the Altek MPU TP1 and TP4
In any case, I'm going to begin repinning.

Have you first determined if your solenoid driver board is outputting 5 volts DC? Before repinning anything find the source of the voltage loss/drop.

#8 4 years ago

Driver board output tested ok. But the pins for the J4 MPU connector were only pushing out 3vdc when tested so I pulled them from the connector and one look told me they were the likely culprit. A nice shade of green.

Replaced J4 16 and 17 and it boots right up.

Gonna get to repinning everything but it’s nice to know where the issue is.

Thanks for the help guys.
5B2FC392-FE23-49FE-A641-87C3C6F56EFF (resized).jpeg5B2FC392-FE23-49FE-A641-87C3C6F56EFF (resized).jpeg

#9 4 years ago

Great to hear you sorted it out!
Is the plan to fix the original boards or leave the Allteks in there? I presume the original MPU board has extensive battery corrosion with those green connector terminals you found?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Crystal Lake, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-alltek-mpu-over-voltage-memory-lane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.