Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Doggles
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3423 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hi y'all.

So I don't know a single thing about fixing pinball machines. Any advice -- keeping that in mind -- would be greatly appreciated.

Basically my dad has a few pinball machines that I love to play, including Star Trek TNG. Just a few minutes ago I was playing it and the display stopped working. It's just totally black. The game itself still runs fine (I mean, as far as I can tell).

I ran the display test and I got a bunch of yellow bars and such and bolded yellow display. Eventually, though, it says PAGE ERROR B(|1|)0|15|

Does anyone have any easy suggestions for me to troubleshoot this problem? Obviously I don't know squat and I'm prepared to just track someone down IRL to help. But I thought this might also be an opportunity to at least learn some (very) basic pinball maintenance.

IMG_3423 (resized).JPGIMG_3423 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Wow. That is a tough one for a newb. Looks like a problem on the CPU board. Here is a direct link to a repair guide that is a little beyond newb level. I am thinking you will need board repair. Might want to pull the backglass and check the batteries to see if they are leaking.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Failed_RAM

www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

#3 6 years ago

Hey, thanks a lot John. I appreciate the answer.

#4 6 years ago

I'd suggest you update your profile to include your location. There may be some local pinheads to help you out.

Good luck,
    faz

#5 6 years ago

If it ends up being a challenge, look Up Coin-Op Cauldron

#6 6 years ago

Will do! I'm just a little south of Hayward, Wisconsin.

I opened the backglass last night and peeked at the batteries -- the three double AAs. I didn't notice any obvious signs of corrosion or leaks or anything, but I also didn't inspect em real closely. Is it possible those just need to be replaced? Or if that were the case, would the entire machine stop working?

#7 6 years ago

While not specific to your game, another good reference site:

http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

#8 6 years ago

Battery acid and boards always bad. I use name brand and still change mine once a year.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Doggles:

Will do! I'm just a little south of Hayward, Wisconsin.
    I opened the backglass last night and peeked at the batteries -- the three double AAs. I didn't notice any obvious signs of corrosion or leaks or anything, but I also didn't inspect em real closely. Is it possible those just need to be replaced? Or if that were the case, would the entire machine stop working?

No, if the batteries die you just get a factory reset warning when you turn on the game and lose all your settings, high scores, etc. However alkaline damage from leaky batteries can cause very serious damage, sometimes it take a long time for that damage to actually occur if the board is not thoroughly cleaned up properly to get rid of the chemicals.

#10 6 years ago

sounds very much like battery acid damage, unfortunately.

#11 6 years ago

Dang, yeah as far I know no one has replaced any of the batteries on any of the machines in 5+ years. That's a shame. I'll replace the batteries on the Twilight Zone and Rollerball though and see about getting a professional for STTNG.

In the meantime I have a "learning how to solder" kit that might help me prepare to understand some of this stuff, hah. This is an awesome forum, btw, I'm hooked.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

No, if the batteries die you just get a factory reset warning when you turn on the game and lose all your settings, high scores, etc.

So when you replace batteries, you're supposed to leave the machine powered on in order to keep the settings/scores? I assumed if it was plugged in, the values would be safe but I haven't tested it.

I should look into the NVRAM upgrade for my T2...

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Doggles:

Hayward, Wisconsin.

Nice! I drove through there on the way to Clam Lake.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

So when you replace batteries, you're supposed to leave the machine powered on in order to keep the settings/scores? I assumed if it was plugged in, the values would be safe but I haven't tested it.
    I should look into the NVRAM upgrade for my T2...

Yep.

I did NVRAM last time I did a CPU board swap. Super cool.

#15 6 years ago

Update -- my dad says he's been regularly replacing the batteries. I'm gonna see if I can maybe get some better pictures of the boards and stuff for y'all tonight. Not sure if this is of any diagnostic value, but when the display cut out, the coin door like shot open?

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Doggles:

Update -- my dad says he's been regularly replacing the batteries. I'm gonna see if I can maybe get some better pictures of the boards and stuff for y'all tonight. Not sure if this is of any diagnostic value, but when the display cut out, the coin door like shot open?

The coin door shot open, say what??

#17 6 years ago

Yah, on further inspection I feel pretty confident that it's just a coincidence though. The locking lever is kind of loose and I think it just fell down to the open position. The door doesn't want to stay closed when it's unlocked.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-total-newb?hl=kvolak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.