(Topic ID: 128303)

Help a pinball noob suck less at Metallica!

By keithm

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by keithm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Been worshiping the Metallica pin at the local arcade these last few months. Watched the Papa video tutorial, but I've never gotten heavily into the rules before on any game--just tried to keep the ball alive. Now I want to figure this one out!

I've gotten the basic hang of hitting targets, ramps, snake, mystery, and of course, Sparky to launch the multi-ball. Now what?

Yeah, no one answer for that. The Papa vid talked about hitting the guitar pick targets during Sparky multi-ball. I see the pick lights, but I ain't getting how to hit them. So how do I do that?

And anything else ya'all can recommend. I've read the rulesheets, but being a noob I don't know where to start...

#2 8 years ago

Try for all the multiballs. You will get other stuff along the way. There are other MBs besides sparky. Grave, Coffin and snake.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from keithm:

Yeah, no one answer for that. The Papa vid talked about hitting the guitar pick targets during Sparky multi-ball. I see the pick lights, but I ain't getting how to hit them. So how do I do that?

In any multiball that isn't coffin, completing the 4 pick targets will light the snake, he'll have a green light over him. Hitting the snake then doubles the scores, and adds a ball. So you should always be doing that in multiball.
But all the multiballs are just helping you collect the 4 items you need to get to Crank It Up (CIU), which is where the real points are. So you should always be hitting those shots to get there.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from keithm:

I see the pick lights, but I ain't getting how to hit them. So how do I do that?

You...um...hit them. The 4 guitar pick targets light the pick lights. The pick targets will help you collect the band for Blackened mode...they also open the snake mouth during Multiball so he can capture it for 2x scoring.

-There are 4 Multiballs, each started by hitting their respective shot a bunch - Snake, Sparky, Grave Marker, Coffin. If you start Coffin first, you can stack another MB with it.

-There are Crank-it-Up modes...you start these by collecting the big Snake/Sparky/Grave/Coffin inserts above the flippers. You do this by hitting those things a shitload of times...however you can also collect these by shooting shots with those icons lit. When CIU is active, hit the scoop to start.

-To light those icon inserts, you have to "select" a shot by hitting it (the spider arrow will light when a shot is selected)...then hit Snake/Sparky/Grave/Coffin to light the insert on that shot. So now, those shots will also let you collect for Crank-It-Up qualification. On top of all that - if you get all the inserts on a shot lit, you can shoot that shot to start a Coffin Hurry-Up...collect the Coffin Hurry-Up by hitting the captive ball. If you collect them all, this starts Seek & Destroy Mode.

-Spell Metallica by shooting the ramps to start "Lady Justice" mode

-Spell FUEL a few times to start Fuel mode. Hitting the FUEL targets also lights the spider target in the fuel lane - that will give you 2x scoring if you hit it while lit.

There is tons of other nuance, but those are the basics IMO.

#5 8 years ago

Picks are on either side of the ramps. Hit the target to light the pick insert underneath target. If you light up all 4 during a multiball the snake will lock a ball in its mouth for 20sec (depending on setting). You will get another ball as well as ball save for 10 sec. Hitting the picks also lights up the band members. Need to hit all 4 over 10 times to reach Blackened mode.....got to this about 4 times.

To get to EOL you need to have completed all CIU's and Blackened complete...good luck. I hope to get there one day. Code 1.63 factory 300mil HS.

During multi balls or crank it ups, spell fuel then hit behind targets for double scoring. Can keep this going if you hit behind fuel targets before lite 'pink' insert goes out. Should have 20 sec after each hit.

Not sure what's on video, hope this helps.

Btw I have a monsters but game play is similar to pro I think.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You...um...hit them. The 4 guitar pick targets light the pick lights. The pick targets will help you collect the band for Blackened mode...they also open the snake mouth during Multiball so he can capture it for 2x scoring.
-There are 4 Multiballs, each started by hitting their respective shot a bunch - Snake, Sparky, Grave Marker, Coffin. If you start Coffin first, you can stack another MB with it.
-There are Crank-it-Up modes...you start these by collecting the big Snake/Sparky/Grave/Coffin inserts above the flippers. You do this by hitting those things a shitload of times...however you can also collect these by shooting shots with those icons lit. When CIU is active, hit the scoop to start.
-To light those icon inserts, you have to "select" a shot by hitting it (the spider arrow will light when a shot is selected)...then hit Snake/Sparky/Grave/Coffin to light the insert on that shot. So now, those shots will also let you collect for Crank-It-Up qualification. On top of all that - if you get all the inserts on a shot lit, you can shoot that shot to start a Coffin Hurry-Up...collect the Coffin Hurry-Up by hitting the captive ball. If you collect them all, this starts Seek & Destroy Mode.
-Spell Metallica by shooting the ramps to start "Lady Justice" mode
-Spell FUEL a few times to start Fuel mode. Hitting the FUEL targets also lights the spider target in the fuel lane - that will give you 2x scoring if you hit it while lit.
There is tons of other nuance, but those are the basics IMO.

Rarehero spelled everything out pretty well here. I'll give you my advice for strategy, which differs from the papa tutorial a bit. I'd recommend starting out by just pounding the captive ball. Papa suggests to go for that last because it's a dangerous shot, but at least on the premium, you can figure out how to hit it so that it returns to the left flipper rather than into the slings. Then keep pounding it so you can get coffin multiball first, as you can stack the others with it. On my machine, the grave targets are by far the most dangerous shots -- a slight miss usually hits the standup then insta-drains. So I typically only hit those targets during multiball. Once you get into coffin multiball, start aiming for the stand up targets (to add a ball with the snake) and the grave markers and sparky. Try to stack one into another. A good multiball or two will light up crank it up and allow the real fun of the game to begin.

#7 8 years ago

rarehero summed it up really good...

#8 8 years ago

How do you get coffins multi ball? The others I know. I have gotten 2 balls into the coffin by never 3 but never knew how to really get them in there

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Diesel2627:

How do you get coffins multi ball? The others I know. I have gotten 2 balls into the coffin by never 3 but never knew how to really get them in there

On the Pro just beat the hell out of the ball...Every 10 shots (I think...maybe 15? It's adjustable) gives you a "lock". On the Premium/LE, sorta the same thing, but when lock is lit, the magnet will grab the ball and the Hammer will smash the ball into the Coffin lock.

#10 8 years ago

Coffin is the last thing I go for. On default settings my hi score is 367M and it takes over 262M to get your initials up on my Met Premium. Here is my strategy:

Get the super skill shot that completes a shot. Then complete that hurry up. Then try to complete at least one more hurry up on the first ball. Best are right ramp, graveyard, left ramp, in that order. Picking off graveyard shots is pretty easy from a trap on the left. Once I have a couple hurry ups completed, then start Sparky or Graveyard MB. During MB concentrate on the hurry ups that you have completed to work towards your first CIU. When you come out of MB, trap up and check your progress towards CIU in instant info and then work on completing it. When you start CIU, go with Fade to Black on the premium(spinners) or For Whom the Bell Tolls(pro).

During CIU, it's important to start 2x scoring and keep it going with repeated shots to the fuel lane. It is great if you can have 2x going during CIU, but it's imperative to have 2x going on your collect shot if you want the monster scores.

Important! If you are close to getting CIU started(remember to ck your instant info) AND you are also close to starting one of the MB's, do not start that MB! That way when you come out of your CIU mode, you can quickly start a MB to start building towards your 2nd CIU mode. Another thing that many people speak about is not to complete all your hurry ups and start Seek and Destroy until you are done with at least 1 or 2 CIU modes. If you do you must start from scratch on building up to another CIU mode.

When you do eventually start Coffin, immediately start working on whichever MB(Snake, Sparky, Graveyard) you are closest to so you can stack it in with Coffin.

A few skills to work on. Loop pass from plunge on the SSS to the right flipper. Drop catch on the kick out from the scoop. Live catch on the rebound from the Graveyard.

What an awesome pin. Have fun!

#12 8 years ago

Oh yeah, Adam Becker knows his stuff!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You...um...hit them.

Doh! I just found a closeup online showing the targets. Couldn't see them in the video.

Great pointers, folks. Much appreciated!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-pinball-noob-suck-less-at-metallica and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.