Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by NPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 days ago

hi guys im looking to buy a BDS the seller tell me that the mystic ball was not working right,that was "moving by it self"(?) but that he set it to off on the the settings because it wasent working right,what should i ask about this issue to know if its a little fix of a big deal.
also any tips on to what to look when buying this title

thanks!

#2 5 days ago

Mist ball.

Optos in the pocket on either side or across the playfield aren't working.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Opto_Switches This will help you understand the optos.

Look at over all condition. And price. Hard to clean areas clean or dirty ? Boards in the head look good or hacked to death and battery damage on cpu ?

Be fair in your estimation too. Don't expect a $5K game for $1K.

LTG : )

#3 5 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Mist ball.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Opto_Switches This will help you understand the optos.
Look at over all condition. And price. Hard to clean areas clean or dirty ? Boards in the head look good or hacked to death and battery damage on cpu ?

thank you for your tips!so you dont think that its a big deal?the machine seems clean but i need more pictures i saw a video and the flippers seems to be strong.if the price its good how much of a deal breaker its it?

#4 5 days ago

I had a bsd years ago. The mist issues are kind of a pain in the ass. I was always fiddling with optos on that game.

#5 5 days ago

The mist ball is probably one of the coolest things in pinball. And to not have it work isn't a deal breaker, but it's something you definitely want to get working.

The mist ball is a magnet, motor, couple long range optos and a opto control board. Most likely it's the optos or the opto control board that are likely suspects.

Other things to look for are faded reds in the cabinet, broken ramps, planking of the playfield wood and cracked inserts. This game is supposed to have lightning flippers but if they were changed that's an easy thing to put back in.

#6 5 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

The mist ball is probably one of the coolest things in pinball. And to not have it work isn't a deal breaker, but it's something you definitely want to get working.
The mist ball is a magnet, motor, couple long range optos and a opto control board. Most likely it's the optos or the opto control board that are likely suspects.
Other things to look for are faded reds in the cabinet, broken ramps, planking of the playfield wood and cracked inserts. This game is supposed to have lightning flippers but if they were changed that's an easy thing to put back in.

I just redid one of these.. mist is a pain to troubleshoot, but seems like the usual fix is to shotgun replace the two capacitors and the one inductor on the control board.

The inserts particularly the letters in Dracula are print to lifting, and the big moon “faces insert” is prone to edge wear.

Check the scoops for wear.

As others have said the reds usually fade badly.

Underneath the apron on the left side (you can see by lifting the instruction card) there will be a big SP or LS. SP is more desirable, allegedly LS made playfields were more prone to planking.

#7 5 days ago

Well, mist ball is supposed to "move by itself". It runs itself everytime you turn on the game, just for a self diagnosis. Optos could just be dirty. But there are still ways to fix it if its something more.

Check the far right loop for wear, specifically, where the ball enters the playfield.

BSD is a killer game and I think more people are beginning to realize it. I've had mine close to 5 years and it's a keeper.

#8 5 days ago

what happen when you disable the myst ball from settings?,even that you dont have such a cool feature you can still play for a bit untill you have it fixed?the mist multiball starts like if you hitted the mystic ball?

#9 5 days ago

If you disable mist, when you get the ball in the scoop to start mist multiball, it just kicks that ball out of the scoop and an additional ball from the shooter lane. Basically, you get to play the 2 ball multiball without having to knock the ball off the magnet.

#10 5 days ago

I haven’t owned one (but almost) and love BSD. Having talked to other owners though, fixing this mech is a major deal. Not major in the way that you couldn’t do it but major in how finicky it is to get working correctly and time needed to learn how to fix and trial and error etc.

This mech is a major part of the game and very cool so must be working to enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played (unless you like broken games).

So, IMO, pass and buy a fully working one. Or ask the seller to fix first and then you buy. If you are saving *big* dollars and you want to take this on then go for it but just know there is a reason why the seller won’t fix before selling.

One final note, even if it is working, be prepared to have to learn how to fix it eventually as this is pinball. But if you start with a finely tuned one, it is worth a lot. This is a great game so good luck either way just know it’s not an easy fix.

#11 5 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Mist ball.

BSD not a 5k game. With this feature not working i would say 3-3500.

#12 4 days ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

I wouldn’t pay more than 2800 without mist working personally

#13 4 days ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

I wasn't saying BSD is an expensive game. I was trying to point out to be realistic about how much you can spend and what you'll get.

#14 4 days ago

Mist is the main feature of the game. No way to know what is wrong with the game without digging into it. You can figure a few things out by looking at the game. You should hear the motor run when you start the game. If I remember right, it also releases the ball, cycles the motor, and puts the ball back in place after exiting the menu. It would be handy to know how to get into settings and go into switch tests. You can then test if the opto is working by moving your hand across the middle of the playfield. If this is your first game and you are not familiar with any of this, I suggest finding a game that works 100%.

#15 4 days ago

When I turn my BSD on, it does NOT cycle through mist upon initial power-up. I think that is a setting you can have happen IF you have the game set to where castle locked balls from a previous game return to the ball trough when first firing the game up.

#16 4 days ago

this game is labor intensive to take apart to clean first time and wax. my tunnels underneath were black and fuzzy. may I suggest getting condiment cups with lids to place screws in when dissasembling components and keep them separated from other components

#17 4 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wasn't saying BSD is an expensive game. I was trying to point out to be realistic about how much you can spend and what you'll get.

You said it was a 5k game, Am i reading it wrong?

#18 3 days ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

You said it was a 5k game, Am i reading it wrong?

Yes, I was giving an example to illustrate to the OP to not expect a top of the line game for cheap. To be realistic about his budget and what he can get.

#19 3 days ago

OP, dont buy one without mist working unless you like figuring things out and tinkering. The circuit is stout WHEN it is working, but when it is not, it can be quite trying to determine what is wrong. There are some decent YT videos that walk you through it (very big overview, not nitty gritty details), and there are probably 100s of posts about it in the owners thread here on Pinside.

It is an essential part of the game, similar to the hand on Johnny Mnemonic. Without it working, the game is 60% less fun. Buy one that works from the beginning. You'll keep more of your hair in the long run.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 14.95
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 109.99
Sale Pending!
Bakersfield, CA
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
Boards
PinSound
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside