Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm a total noob when it comes to fixing issues. I don't have any "pinball" tools to fix machines. All I have is what anyone would have around the house. I am willing to buy new tools if needed as I'm getting deeper in this crazy hobby.

My JD has the following 2 issues:

1. Air Raid function no longer registers. The ball goes in the air raid ramp and kicks out without the chance to fire it at the drop targets for extra points. Where should I start?

2. I have the Deadworld lock mod where balls actually lock on the ring. After 2 balls are locked, an extra ball is put in the shooter lane. I then have 2 balls in play. If one drains, then it acts as if that ball is over. If I can lock one of the 2 before 1 drains, the Deadworld multiball will start.

I've had a couple very generous local pinsiders say they would come over to fix it. I really want to start learning how to fix things myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

If I were you, I would take their generous offer and have them come over and fix it. And just learn and ask questions along the way. Having someone explain over the forum how to fix things and seeing how its done in person is two totally different thing.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

If I were you, I would take their generous offer and have them come over and fix it. And just learn and ask questions along the way. Having someone explain over the forum how to fix things and seeing how its done in person is two totally different thing.

What he said??

#4 7 years ago

Ok not sure why my emoji did not work?

#5 7 years ago

I've thought the same thing. Hard to get schedules matched up and I should have some time this weekend with Memorial Day.... until the wife comes up with the dreaded honey do list

#6 7 years ago

The deadworld mod is very sensitive to all opto switches working. Go into switch edge test and check all of the opto switches.

Item 1 also sounds like it could be a switch issue.

Probably the best thing you can do as a noob is go into the diagnostics menus and figure out how they work. That's often the first step in troubleshooting a problem. The manual will provide info on how the diagnostics.

#7 7 years ago

Is the ball going into the "air raid ramp" up on the right and then going down to the left via the wire form and then kicking out automatically? Or is it doing this? -> if it goes over to the left without going via the "air raid ramp" it will by design kick out automatically.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Is the ball going into the "air raid ramp" up on the right and then going down to the left via the wire form and then kicking out automatically? Or is it doing this? -> if it goes over to the left without going via the "air raid ramp" it will by design kick out automatically.

It goes to the left ramp via the air raid ramp shot and automatically kicks out.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

The deadworld mod is very sensitive to all opto switches working. Go into switch edge test and check all of the opto switches.
Item 1 also sounds like it could be a switch issue.
Probably the best thing you can do as a noob is go into the diagnostics menus and figure out how they work. That's often the first step in troubleshooting a problem. The manual will provide info on how the diagnostics.

I did a switch test, but didn't know what I was looking for. I have the manual so will get that out while I am going through the switch test. What happens during switch test if something is messed up?

#10 7 years ago

You have to go around and activate all the switches, one-by-one, by hand, or any switch(es) you suspect not working. The display will show you if they're working or not, usually by displaying the switch number. If you find one or more that do not respond as working, the next step would be to check the wiring on any switches that do not respond in the test, and replace the switch if needed. Many times, a wire has just come off, and you'd have to solder it back on.

#11 7 years ago

What KenH said, plus opto switches are a little different than mechanical switches. A mechanical switch will show open and then closed when you press the switch. An opto will show closed and then open when a ball blocks the beam.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-noob-fix-jd-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.