Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 11 years ago

I am super stoked that I just picked up a DE Rocky & Bullwinkle. It was a little dirty, but a little cleaner and polish made the colors really pop again. I wanted to access the service mode so I could check out the switches and lamps testing stuff, but I can't seem to get the machine to enter into it. I have the original service manual, tried various things, even tested the two service switches for continuity, etc. No matter I do, I can't get it into service mode. What am I missing?

The seller said that he just got the game board back from service (he didn't say what the problem was that required service).

I'm not pin tech by any means, but I'm not luddite either.

help!!

#2 11 years ago

Is the wiring from the switches to the board in the head good ?

There isn't much to it, one is enter other up/down.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

As Lloyd said. Perhaps the seller didn't plug everything back in correctly in the backbox when he got the board back.

viperrwk

#4 11 years ago

I've owned my R&B for about three weeks, and I haven't figured out how to get too deep into the service menu either. Mine seems like it's short a button on the control panel..

I haven't consulted the manual yet, though.

#5 11 years ago

One of my favorite games of all time and one of the greatest cartoons ever. Good luck with the issue.

Sounds like I don't want to be one, but in the event I am, what in the world is a luddite?

Dan

#6 11 years ago

Can you get into the audits?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

what in the world is a luddite?

Short answer: Technophobe
Long answer: Related to the Industrial Revolution and the Brittish textile industry. Look at Wikipedia, it's a goofy story.

#8 11 years ago

On TFTC at least, there are two buttons. One moves through the options and the other one makes you go through the list forwards or backwards. Depending on whether you have that second button pushed in or not will decide whether you see audits and adjustments or diagnostics. You get about 10 or so options by default, and the last one will be an option to expand the options, which gives you a lot more in both audits and adjustments and in diagnostics, when you press the start button. The start game button on the front of the cab is my 'enter' button.

From Pinwiki:
The East-A-Just system is very similar to the menu system in Bally/Williams System 11 machines. The control panel is located in the cabinet just inside the coin door. The forward/reverse (green) button is an up/down positional switch and the step (black) button is a momentary switch. To enter the East-A-Just system press the step button. If the green button is in the down position the game will enter the diagnostics menu. If the green button is in the up position the game will enter the audits and adjustments menu. Diagnostics are game dependent so check your game manual for specifics. All games do have a switch test with the diagnostics section that can be used to diagnose switch problems. To exit the Ease-A-Just system hold down the Step button. This will rapidly send you to the last setting and will put the game in attract mode.

Post edited by videobrain : quote didn't work

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from videobrain:

On TFTC at least, there are two buttons. One moves through the options and the other one makes you go through the list forwards or backwards. Depending on whether you have that second button pushed in or not will decide whether you see audits and adjustments or diagnostics. You get about 10 or so options by default, and the last one will be an option to expand the options, which gives you a lot more in both audits and adjustments and in diagnostics, when you press the start button. The start game button on the front of the cab is my 'enter' button.
From Pinwiki:
The East-A-Just system is very similar to the menu system in Bally/Williams System 11 machines. The control panel is located in the cabinet just inside the coin door. The forward/reverse (green) button is an up/down positional switch and the step (black) button is a momentary switch. To enter the East-A-Just system press the step button. If the green button is in the down position the game will enter the diagnostics menu. If the green button is in the up position the game will enter the audits and adjustments menu. Diagnostics are game dependent so check your game manual for specifics. All games do have a switch test with the diagnostics section that can be used to diagnose switch problems. To exit the Ease-A-Just system hold down the Step button. This will rapidly send you to the last setting and will put the game in attract mode.
Post edited by videobrain : quote didn't work

What he said...

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from videobrain:

Translation:

If you want Service and Diagnostics do this:

1 - turn on the pin
2 - open the coin door, and
3 - locate the service buttons on the left edge of the coin door opening.
4 - press the CENTER button once
5 - press the button closest to the rear of the game to proceed into Diagnostics and adjustments

with any luck, that'll work for you.

p.s. as others have said, when you see a setting you desire to delve into, use the start button on the front of the cabinet to select it. I think the service button then lets you change the setting and the start button saves the change...

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

MrWizzo said:
what in the world is a luddite?

Short answer: Technophobe
Long answer: Related to the Industrial Revolution and the Brittish textile industry. Look at Wikipedia, it's a goofy story.

Thanks. In that case I am a reformed or converted or ex luddite. Will check Wiki out.

Dan

#12 11 years ago

When you press the black button on the menu control panel down does it do anything? It should go into audits or diagnostics depending on the position on the green button. My last data east had a similar problem. I couldn't get into my menus. When I tested the buttons for continuity they tested good. They were not though. I replaced them and it worked fine. Take a jumper wire and jump around the black button, this should get you into the menu. If it does not than you have a problem with your connection at the board. If it does you can try to spray some contact cleaner in the switch. Not likely its going to fix it permanently if at all. Best to replace it. They're less than $10 for the set.

#13 11 years ago

thanks for all your responses.

i will recheck the wiring connections to make sure they are all well seated.

when i press either of the two buttons, or both at the same time, nothing happens. the screen still goes through it typical animation. i cannot access the diagnostics/service/audit mode at all.

the machine functions as if in standard arcade mode, 50 cents per play, the only way to add credits is to drop quarters or to manually work the coin mechanism. i suck at pinball, so ideally i would like to set the pin to easy, with 5 balls per credit. please, no flaming about how thats cheating when it get better i'll reset the machine. hahaha.

#14 11 years ago

WooHoo! You guys are the bomb!

As suggested, I opened up the back box, visually chased the wires and voila! one of the plugs was not attached to the mobo. I don't know how i totally missed that. Ugh

Now I set the game to "I totally suck at pinball/noob" mode and play until I develop carpal tunnel syndrome!

Mahalo for everything!!!

#15 11 years ago

My god girl, what language are you speaking?

Glad we could help.

#16 11 years ago

mobo = motherboard!

Great job on getting it figured out! I would love to have some more time on R&B

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-girl-out-rocky-bullwinkle-service-access and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.