(Topic ID: 102806)

Help a DMD guy pick an EM? (Update: Picked!)

By Aurich

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by KingNine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN3053.JPG
DSCN3049.JPG
IMG_20140930_185422_036.jpg
IMG_20140930_185321_698.jpg
IMG_20140930_185308_807.jpg
image.jpg
0441-2011-0443_1.jpg
IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg
291516-i.jpg
master-po.jpg
th-592.jpeg
image-993.jpg
pinball cop.JPG
3814.JPG
1_zps712e6cab.jpg
Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The fever is going around and infecting the DMD guys one by one!

I sure hope I had nothing to do with all this foolishness.

#18 5 years ago

The deeper you get into EMs the deeper you go back. Kind of like that dinosaur movie with Troy McClure. Maybe that was Doug? Well anyway, now for me, it's all about the woodrails. Bring on those gobble holes baby!

Edit-Actually right now I'm stuck in the early 60s. I'm waiting on an overhaul for that flux capacitor.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll take clean and bright over faded and original.

No reason you can't have both! Check out Mr. Shiny!
nice!.JPG
shiny.JPG

#25 5 years ago

Double trouble.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's why I suggested the sci fi or fantasy thoughts. Doesn't have to strictly be in those genres if it's a great design, but it hopefully gives a ballpark idea of what I'm trying to find.

I know what your looking for. The Sci Fi era during EM pinball times art wise was cheesy at best. Just look at the backglass on 2001. But all artwork was hand drawn. Early EMs had rocket themes and such, but the best art was based on pretty pin-up girls. Just my opinion of course.
BigDaddyFTW.JPG

#27 5 years ago

Of course, there is always these-
Backglass-773.jpgimage-8-268.jpg

#28 5 years ago

And this.
image-18.jpg

#29 5 years ago

Me, I'd go with the Space Ship. If I could find one.

#42 5 years ago

I have a Solar City which is the two player version of El Dorado and Target Alpha. It has futuristic artwork that is not too overbearing. It was my first EM and has managed to stick around. It was my only EM for quite a while and served that purpose well. Not for sale, but you are welcome to play it and the others.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks man, I'll have to make a trip out to play with you and Nimble.

Then we can all kick my Shadow.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Come play too Rob!!

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Let me know when this happens

I will have to reinforce my screen door.

#58 5 years ago

I forgot to mention I have a fairly nice Fireball as well. Being a four player it may not have the deepest rules, but the fricken thing is awesome. Multiball!

DSCN3012.JPG

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

None are for sale

Quoted from o-din:

Not for sale

th-162.jpeg

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have 7 games in my garage now, I could probably fit an 8th if I wanted it badly enough, but then I'm tapped.

That's what living rooms are for.

#84 5 years ago

If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped over the nostalgia part and started buying 2 inch flipper games from the 60s first. I have a few 70s games left, but the earlier ones give me that one more game feeling way more than the later models.

I still have a few 70s machines that are keepers, but from now on all incoming will be the older games where nudging is king! The older games also used bells instead of chimes and in many cases have much classier artwork. Of course "classy" is in the eye of the beholder.

#85 5 years ago

Speaking of incoming, Robert is sending me a little bonus to go along with that very nice Kings and Queens. I haven't always been a big fan of Stenholm's artwork, but I think I can live with this one.

1_zps712e6cab.jpg

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The journey and hunt is part of the fun though! You wouldn't really want to replace finding and playing all those machines and learning what you really liked would you?

Yes they are! Most of the games I originally went after, like that EM Joker Poker were games I had played on route. Mostly games I had played a lot because they were easy to win games on. Money was scarce back in the day. Now I am after the harder games. The ones that took my money and ones like them.

I have never played Palooka before. But I think it looks cool and is the same era as my Big Daddy.

For you being younger and not having that experience it makes sense for you to try them all! And then decide what you really want. In my case I like having a variety from all eras, but for now I am going to concentrate on the older ones.

2 weeks later
#125 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can play Tron or Metallica or Star Trek or Shadow if I want a fast game.

And you can sell any of those to get more EMs if the bug bites you. Except for one of course.

th-592.jpeg

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No plans to sell anything else, but it's at least possible

Anything is possible young grasshopper.

master-po.jpg

#129 4 years ago

It's OK rat. For some it's just a faze. Let them import them all! In the meantime, I'll start planning an extension for my garage.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When the DMD guys get sick of the EMs, you might scoop up some bargains.

Start saving!

I've been saving my TronLE for just such an occasion.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

ACD should be here tomorrow afternoon.

That's good news! I like it when Robert in Utah puts machines on a plane via Pilot. Two to three days max! Usually a couple of days before I can go pick them up at the depot. My Joker Poker took almost a month to get here from Colorado via SDI.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

If you are being sarcastic -

Not being sarcastic. I pick them up by the airport. If they do come in by truck, they are pretty darn fast. And very affordable.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

NAVL just dropped ACD off safe and sound.

Chock up another win for the forklift team. Congrats Aurich! Now you have chimes. Just wait until you get one with bells!

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't really intend to have a large EM collection.

Famous last words!

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

So you're saying... there's still a chance of converting you?

If he runs out of room and wants more EMs, I'm sure his buddy Greg wouldn't mind putting up a few.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The hunt is half the fun, I'll just take it as it comes, no need to make grand plans.

You got that right! I had no grand plans when I started buying. A few of my favorite DMDs, a couple of solid states, and a few choice EMs from my youth. The DMDs showed up real quick, but finding those EMs was a challenge. Solar City was my only one for quite some time and it wasn't even on my list.

But now I am finding that there are no more DMDs that entice me, and half my collection is EMs. Some times the newer games don't even get turned on, but the chimes and bells of the EMs are playing a sweet song in harmony. Many of my guests are now gravitating to them instead of the newer ones.

I will probably end up keeping some of my modern games, but from now on it looks like any incoming will be stylish relics from the past.

#179 4 years ago

Yep. Rob is always the last one left in the garage these days. But now that the nights are a little cooler, I'm spending a lot more time there myself. I finally got around to finishing up the clean-up and shop job on Flipper and it turned out pretty nice! It's not perfect, but there aren't too many things 50+ years old that are.
Excuse the glare. I'm too lazy to take off the glass. Wingnuts don't ya know!
DSCN3049.JPG

#181 4 years ago

Thank you! It is a lot of fun to play too.

What have I done?

DSCN3053.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 7,300.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 71.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 199.99
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 109.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside