(Topic ID: 102806)

Help a DMD guy pick an EM? (Update: Picked!)

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KingNine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3053.JPG
DSCN3049.JPG
IMG_20140930_185422_036.jpg
IMG_20140930_185321_698.jpg
IMG_20140930_185308_807.jpg
image.jpg
0441-2011-0443_1.jpg
IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg
291516-i.jpg
master-po.jpg
th-592.jpeg
image-993.jpg
pinball cop.JPG
3814.JPG
1_zps712e6cab.jpg
Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've been thinking I'd like to try adding an EM to my collection. I like variety, as much as I dig modern Sterns and classic Bally/Williams DMDs it's good to have choice. I have a System 11, a WPC, a WPC95, and the two different backbox styles of modern Sterns. An EM would round me out some more.

I really don't know jack about them though. I'll have to learn my tech, but I don't really know what titles to look out for.

I was hoping maybe people might have suggestions for me if I gave some parameters? I'm thinking probably a 70s machine, drop targets and fuller sets of rules.

I would really love to have something with sci fi or fantasy style art. So for example I love the look of games like Eye of the Tiger, Abra Ca Dabra, Centigrade 37, etc. Doesn't have to be a wedgehead, but man, they look great when cleaned up.

I'm willing to pay more for a nice one, DMDs have me used to paying for pins, but I'd consider doing a full restore, including playfield and cabinet paint for the right game. Ideally it will be something with repro plastic s available, or not impossible to find if I went that route.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Hahahaha!
The fever is going around and infecting the DMD guys one by one!

It's kinda Chris' (ColorDMD) fault. He brought his sweet restored wedgehed to last OC League tournament last weekend ( see it here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/65-gottlieb-bank-a-ball-finally-back-together-after-3-years ) and it was kinda the last straw, seeing one so nicely done pushed me over the edge.

I'll definitely play some more, I know where I can do that, but I figured I'd start a short list of pins to keep an eye out for based on themes.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

It seems like a lot of EMs don't get plastics busted up quite like newer games, so you may not even need to worry about repro plastics, unless you're looking at a game where they're really toasted.

Yeah, but I kinda want to bring something to a more like new feeling. Not really worried about warped or broken plastics so much as just the yellowing and fading of age. I get that for some people that's part of the charm, like the patina on vintage Rolex faces, but I'm not that kind of collector.

I'll take clean and bright over faded and original.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Gottlieb El Dorado.
If you can locate a Wade Cross Playfield, the Backglass (webb) and Plastics (PBR) are readily available which would get you pretty close to a new Gottlieb Wedgehead.
Ken

See, I know people love that game, and I'm sure it's fun and great. But the western theme isn't what I'm looking for. If I'm going to get an EM the theme is going to be just as important as the gameplay, the art really matters to me.

That's why I suggested the sci fi or fantasy thoughts. Doesn't have to strictly be in those genres if it's a great design, but it hopefully gives a ballpark idea of what I'm trying to find.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll use them to do more research.

#30 9 years ago

Strange World looks great.

I like the wedgeheads, the single player part doesn't matter to me. I have plenty of pins my friends like to play already.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Target Alpha? Fun Sci-fi graphics, same PF layout as El Dorado, 4 player so not as "deep" a ruleset, though I prefer having to knock down 15 drop targets with a single ball instead of 3 or 5. And I know where you can try one locally...

Yeah, speaking of trying EMs locally, you let me know when you have some free time.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

If you are just getting into EM's and your goal is to work on them as well as play, then a single player is the way to go. Much easier to get your feet wet with the relatively simple design on a wedgehead, than a 4 player best like Wizard or Royal Flush.

Yeah, that sounds like smart advice. I love projects, but honestly I don't have a ton of project time right now, so not biting off more than I can chew for a first game would probably be smart.

Quoted from BMHouze:

Start doing some charity work helping people fix up their busted pins and it won't be too long before an EM will fall into your lap.

Heh, see above about free time. I don't mind paying for one, or even paying for a nice one. When you're used to buying modern DMDs your pain threshold for pin purchases gets stretched pretty far.

#41 9 years ago

I'm getting some PMs and offers, so I'll just say this:

I'm not quite ready to buy, the spot this would go in has my friend's Jurassic Park in it right now, we need to fix the t-rex before we can sell it.

Also, while I appreciate the other offers for various neat looking games, I'm really looking for an EM, not a solid state. I could find lots of cool solid state games no problem, I'm really looking to explore territory I'm not so familiar with.

Also, while I'd be willing to ship for the right offer or deal, I'm not in a rush, and would prefer to buy locally. I think the only way I'd even consider shipping would be because I fell in love with a title and someone had a super clean or restored version.

Thanks for the consideration though, I do appreciate it.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have a Solar City which is the two player version of El Dorado and Target Alpha. It has futuristic artwork that is not too overbearing. It was my first EM and has managed to stick around. It was my only EM for quite a while and served that purpose well. Not for sale, but you are welcome to play it and the others.

Thanks man, I'll have to make a trip out to play with you and Nimble.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What am I? Chopped liver?

Come play too Rob!!

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Sorry about that.
Target Alpha is a pretty good game. But, like Rob mentioned, I too really like the traditional lines of the wedgehead cabinets. 1 player is cool. The only other EM I'd like to have is a Diamond Jack. Bank-a-Ball is a replay game, and Diamond Jack is an Add-a-Ball (playing for extra balls instead of credits).
Good luck with your search! Maybe you can bring it to League when it's all ready.

Your game was just gorgeous, it was a lot of fun seeing something that was new, or maybe even better than new looking. I can do all that paint and clearing if I decided I want to. I dunno, we'll see about that part.

I'm in no rush to buy a new pin, the hunt is the fun part, just trying to build a list of titles to look out for.

I would totally bring it to league play, but it's not riding in my coupe, so I'd have to figure that part out. Maybe I could bring Kyle and we could use his truck.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Just know Rare Hero will loose respect for ya.

He was already texting me last night to give me shit.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Shhhhh....Don't give away our secrets. I like having all the 60's games rather ice cold and cheaper to buy. Let everyone buy / fight for Atlantis, Abra-Ca-Dabra , El Dorado and C-37.

After buying DMDs they all seem dirt cheap!

Honestly while I totally get the appeal of a room full of EMs, it's not gonna happen with me, or at least not any time in the foreseeable future. I like modern games, fast and loud and deep, and I have limited space. I have 7 games in my garage now, I could probably fit an 8th if I wanted it badly enough, but then I'm tapped. Solid states are gonna take priority.

I could rotate an EM spot maybe, but really I'm just looking for one for now. So paying extra for a popular one in nice shape just isn't an issue.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

If you like them Fast, you may want to focus on some late model WMS EMs.

I'm honestly not looking to duplicate what I have. I can play Star Trek or Tron or Metallica or Shadow any time if I want a more intense game with faster moving balls and ramps etc.

And if I wanted a faster game with just some cool psychedelic art there are plenty of older solid states that fit the bill. I might get an 80s game like Scorpion or something some day too. But I want an actual old school EM experience. If I get bored with it I can always sell it, and frankly if I lose a few hundred buck on that, oh well. It's just not a concern.

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Aurich, judging by the games you have you would be bored shitless of an EM of any type after about a week.

Heh. I've played plenty of EMs, I just haven't done my homework on them to really know what's out there, what has better gameplay, who's got the better art, if I really just want a single player wedgehead or should focus on multi-player, that kind of stuff.

Like I said, I want different. I'm not gonna put bricks under the back legs and wax the playfield every day and try and make it play like a DMD game, slow and nudge-heavy is all good. It's for a change of pace. Not replacing all my other games.

#75 9 years ago

There have been a couple of those listed near me lately actually.

#77 9 years ago

The hunt is part of the fun, I'm not really in a rush, but point taken.

Someone's already offered me an Abra Ca Dabra, but I'd have to ship. Not out of the question, but shipping stresses me out, and is expensive.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's what living rooms are for.

Haha, not in our house! Just not big enough even if my wife was tolerant of the idea. And I wouldn't even ask her, she doesn't care about pinball in the slightest and is super supportive of my crazy money and time pit hobby.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have owned all the games except Elvira in your collection. I used to have 100% dmd, now I am down to 2 dmd - IM and Metallica. But I also want Tron and ACDC.

To me the above games are intense, addictive, short ball times - usually!

But em's apart from the nostalgia, great artwork, have that addictive, one more game feature. Gottliebs in particular were designed to always make you feel close but you never quite get there.

I can't see replacing my collection with EMs, but I'm smart enough to know by now that in this hobby you never say never. I definitely get the appeal of a line of wedgeheads, they look so nice in a row. If I had more space I'd probably try to have a small collection. Would make choosing much easier too!

I absolutely hear you on the "one more game" aspect. I definitely recommend Tron for that, of all my games it's the one I can just bang START on again the most easily.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped over the nostalgia part and started buying 2 inch flipper games from the 60s first. I have a few 70s games left, but the earlier ones give me that one more game feeling way more than the later models.

The journey and hunt is part of the fun though! You wouldn't really want to replace finding and playing all those machines and learning what you really liked would you?

1 week later
#88 9 years ago

Thanks to boilerman I have an Abra Ca Dabra on its way to me. Already ordered new plastics and an apron decal from Pinball Rescue and I'm on the waiting list for the new Webb backglass.

I'll post pics once I get it all set.

#90 9 years ago

I'll make sure to wear my SDTM t-shirt while I'm playing.

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

forget the em pinballs.... how about a em gun game

That Haunted House is so awesome. I don't think I'd want to own one myself, but I think it's super cool.

I haven't played Abra Ca Dabra yet. If I get tired of it it will find a happy home in SoCal. But first I'll get it looking super clean.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Abra Ca Dabra
Atlantis
El Dorado
Jacks Open
Dimension or 2001

Those are all titles that would be on my short list for a second game.

#109 9 years ago

Shipping people picked up my game today, now I gotta make room for it!

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

It could easily read "Just got my Abra Ca Dabra set up and playing and now I have to make more room for some more em's I want to buy" deja vu maybe?

Well the plan is to make room for two ...

I have a Jurassic Park that I'm holding for a friend since he lost the space for it, but I'll probably help him sell it shortly, and that would free up a slot too. Past that I'd have to start selling solid states, and I'm not ready to say I'm that smitten yet. See how it goes.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Jeeezzzzz those two pops are close to the flippers!
And people complain about Wolverine. Lol

I'm gonna LED the game and add two giant wizard figures on top of each pop.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Funny! How ever there is not much clearance between the pops and the glass. Its an EM thing.

No problem, I'll just cut two holes in the glass.

Quoted from jodini:

Abracadabra! Good choice! I have only 6 EM games and Abra is one of those games I come back to and play over and over again! Love it!

Glad to hear it, because I haven't actually played an ACD. Decided to just take a chance since I love the art and it's favorably reviewed by so many. Not a fan of shipping games, but eh, so it goes sometimes.

#119 9 years ago

I mean, I'll get it all set up, but I'm not worried about it playing fast. I can play Tron or Metallica or Star Trek or Shadow if I want a fast game. Gonna just enjoy it for what it is.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And you can sell any of those to get more EMs if the bug bites you. Except for one of course.

Shadow is going nowhere! Metallica is definitely staying too. No plans to sell anything else, but it's at least possible, though I'm not likely to give up Tron any time soon either.

I'm really not playing Scared Stiff and Elvira much these days, but damn I do love owning them both.

#136 9 years ago

I'm an EM newb, but I'd line them up with the wire, wouldn't occur to me to do otherwise. Even with the guide is how all DMD games are meant to be.

#144 9 years ago

You should always use the wire that feeds the flipper as your reference AFAIC, it's the only one that counts. Unless there's some weird EM thing I don't know about!

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

So Aurich, it is Saturday. Where is the ACD now? Was it shipped by a bicycle courier? LOL. LOL.
We are just waiting for the photos.

Well it's coming from PA to CA. Was picked up last Monday. So maybe end of next week?

#149 9 years ago

Got the call today from STI, ACD should be here tomorrow afternoon. Little faster than I expected.

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's good news! I like it when Robert in Utah puts machines on a plane via Pilot. Two to three days max! Usually a couple of days before I can go pick them up at the depot. My Joker Poker took almost a month to get here from Colorado via SDI.

I was actually surprised to get the call from them today, wasn't counting on hearing from them until the end of the week at best. Fingers crossed that it made the trip from PA okay!

#156 9 years ago

NAVL just dropped ACD off safe and sound.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Congrats Aurich - is that my old backglass in there where I touched up the wizard? I know you said you were getting a repro.

Haha, yup, touched up wizard still in there. It works for now, but yeah, gonna put a Webb repro in and get it looking nice and new. New plastics on their way, along with a new apron decal. Then I'll decide how far I want to take restoring the rest of it.

Probably won't go too crazy at leas until soccer season is over and I'm not coaching kids anymore, don't have a ton of free time to be polishing metal etc.

As for Team One ... I dunno, I'll have to learn if I like Add A Balls I guess. In concept they aren't that appealing, seems like the games will drag on for too long. Rather just see how much I can do with 5 balls I think. But I'm open to trying one!

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Aab's definitely add variety in a small collection.

There's that I suppose. I don't really intend to have a large EM collection. But if I want variety I'll go play Metallica or something, so not overly worried about getting bored. Definitely not about to sell off all my DMDs and convert full hog or anything.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Famous last words!

Heh, I do know better than to make broad sweeping pronouncements (one pin will be enough!) but I really enjoy modern, deep, games. I have no real interest right now in trading them out for EMs. Maybe if I wanted to let Elvira go I could go from System 11 to an EM, but I'd be more likely to find an 80s solid state if I wanted "old school" swapping.

I just like pinball. Would I like to put another wedgehead next to ACD? Sure! I'll keep an eye out for something fun. But I don't have the space to really have a large EM collection without giving up games I'm not really interested in losing.

The hunt is half the fun, I'll just take it as it comes, no need to make grand plans.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-dmd-guy-pick-an-em?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.