(Topic ID: 102806)

Help a DMD guy pick an EM? (Update: Picked!)

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KingNine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3053.JPG
DSCN3049.JPG
IMG_20140930_185422_036.jpg
IMG_20140930_185321_698.jpg
IMG_20140930_185308_807.jpg
image.jpg
0441-2011-0443_1.jpg
IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg
291516-i.jpg
master-po.jpg
th-592.jpeg
image-993.jpg
pinball cop.JPG
3814.JPG
1_zps712e6cab.jpg
Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPG
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's good news! I like it when Robert in Utah puts machines on a plane via Pilot. Two to three days max! Usually a couple of days before I can go pick them up at the depot. My Joker Poker took almost a month to get here from Colorado via SDI.

I was actually surprised to get the call from them today, wasn't counting on hearing from them until the end of the week at best. Fingers crossed that it made the trip from PA okay!

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's good news! I like it when Robert in Utah puts machines on a plane via Pilot. Two to three days max! Usually a couple of days before I can go pick them up at the depot. My Joker Poker took almost a month to get here from Colorado via SDI.

If you are being sarcastic -

If not, Pilot Air is not airlines, just trucks. The fact that they get from terminal to terminal in two to three days is good.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If not, Pilot Air is not airlines, just trucks. The fact that they get from terminal to terminal in two to three days is good.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Not being sarcastic. I pick them up by the airport. If they do come in by truck, they are pretty darn fast. And very affordable.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not being sarcastic. I pick them up by the airport. If they do come in by truck, they are pretty darn fast. And very affordable.

Back in the RGP days Forward Air was pretty popular for transporting games. They are also near the airport here in Kansas City but were and still are just a trucking outfit. Terminal to terminal is about as fast as you can get for transport. Just need to be able to get it packed, dropped off, and ultimately picked up at the destination. Definitely no door to door delivery. But the price is a whole lot better also.

#156 9 years ago

NAVL just dropped ACD off safe and sound.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#157 9 years ago

Congrats Aurich!

And if you failed to read my prior post on ACD, here's a reminder:

DIBS!

#158 9 years ago

A BIG WHOOOO HOOO.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

image.jpg 140 KB

Congrats Aurich…. Happy to see it made it safe and in one piece.

#160 9 years ago

What does an ACD like that go for? I looked at one yesterday that seemed like it was just pulled from a dumpster and the guy wanted $500 for it. It was the worst pinball machine I had ever seen that was still "playable".

#161 9 years ago

Now you need a Centigrade 37 !

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Congrats on the Abra!
my personal 70's fav's right now
Abra Ca Dabra
Atlantis
El Dorado
Jacks Open
Dimension or 2001

Great line up there. I have 2001 (wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. I go back to it again over and over) Had an Atlantis before I was really into EM's years ago and didn't know how to work on them so we sold it. I'm still kicking myself over that one.

Also, Team One is the sister to Abracadabra and is the add a ball. The art of Abra blows it away but the add a ball is more fun IMO.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Team One is the sister to Abracadabra and is the add a ball. The art of Abra blows it away but the add a ball is more fun IMO.

Can you imagine the homerun a Team One with ACD art would be?? I'd have one.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Chock up another win for the forklift team. Congrats Aurich! Now you have chimes. Just wait until you get one with bells!

#165 9 years ago

Congrats Aurich - is that my old backglass in there where I touched up the wizard? I know you said you were getting a repro.

I keep hearing how good Team One's playability is but honestly Abra is one of my favorites for game play. I guess I need to play a Team One.

#166 9 years ago

Awesome game. Congrats

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

What does an ACD like that go for? I looked at one yesterday and the guy wanted $500 for it. It was the worst pinball machine I had ever seen that was still "playable".

A year or so ago, they were selling around here - SE TX - in the $600, maybe slightly higher, range for decent ones. I turned down several for that price, waiting for the right one to come along. Then Pinsiders started chatting them up, they became the flavor of the month (year?) and prices have gone up considerably.

The right one didn't get here in time.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Can you imagine the homerun a Team One with ACD art would be?? I'd have one.

Or, could you imagine the home run if Abra had the Team One game play? Here's mine. (Thanks Boilerman)

IMG_20140930_185308_807.jpgIMG_20140930_185308_807.jpg
IMG_20140930_185321_698.jpgIMG_20140930_185321_698.jpg
IMG_20140930_185422_036.jpgIMG_20140930_185422_036.jpg

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Congrats Aurich - is that my old backglass in there where I touched up the wizard? I know you said you were getting a repro.

Haha, yup, touched up wizard still in there. It works for now, but yeah, gonna put a Webb repro in and get it looking nice and new. New plastics on their way, along with a new apron decal. Then I'll decide how far I want to take restoring the rest of it.

Probably won't go too crazy at leas until soccer season is over and I'm not coaching kids anymore, don't have a ton of free time to be polishing metal etc.

As for Team One ... I dunno, I'll have to learn if I like Add A Balls I guess. In concept they aren't that appealing, seems like the games will drag on for too long. Rather just see how much I can do with 5 balls I think. But I'm open to trying one!

#170 9 years ago

Aab's definitely add variety in a small collection. You can have very short games too, but those last second saves where you end up just killing it are unique imo.

Beautiful game you have there. Enjoy!

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Aab's definitely add variety in a small collection.

There's that I suppose. I don't really intend to have a large EM collection. But if I want variety I'll go play Metallica or something, so not overly worried about getting bored. Definitely not about to sell off all my DMDs and convert full hog or anything.

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't really intend to have a large EM collection.

Famous last words!

#173 9 years ago

So you're saying... there's still a chance of converting you?

(Add Jim Carey gif here)

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

So you're saying... there's still a chance of converting you?

If he runs out of room and wants more EMs, I'm sure his buddy Greg wouldn't mind putting up a few.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Famous last words!

Heh, I do know better than to make broad sweeping pronouncements (one pin will be enough!) but I really enjoy modern, deep, games. I have no real interest right now in trading them out for EMs. Maybe if I wanted to let Elvira go I could go from System 11 to an EM, but I'd be more likely to find an 80s solid state if I wanted "old school" swapping.

I just like pinball. Would I like to put another wedgehead next to ACD? Sure! I'll keep an eye out for something fun. But I don't have the space to really have a large EM collection without giving up games I'm not really interested in losing.

The hunt is half the fun, I'll just take it as it comes, no need to make grand plans.

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The hunt is half the fun, I'll just take it as it comes, no need to make grand plans.

You got that right! I had no grand plans when I started buying. A few of my favorite DMDs, a couple of solid states, and a few choice EMs from my youth. The DMDs showed up real quick, but finding those EMs was a challenge. Solar City was my only one for quite some time and it wasn't even on my list.

But now I am finding that there are no more DMDs that entice me, and half my collection is EMs. Some times the newer games don't even get turned on, but the chimes and bells of the EMs are playing a sweet song in harmony. Many of my guests are now gravitating to them instead of the newer ones.

I will probably end up keeping some of my modern games, but from now on it looks like any incoming will be stylish relics from the past.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Many of my guests are now gravitating to them instead of the newer ones.

I'm trying to remember the last time I was there when I spent more time on your DMDs than your EMs?

#179 9 years ago

Yep. Rob is always the last one left in the garage these days. But now that the nights are a little cooler, I'm spending a lot more time there myself. I finally got around to finishing up the clean-up and shop job on Flipper and it turned out pretty nice! It's not perfect, but there aren't too many things 50+ years old that are.
Excuse the glare. I'm too lazy to take off the glass. Wingnuts don't ya know!
DSCN3049.JPGDSCN3049.JPG

#180 9 years ago

That's a very significant game you have there, O-Din.

#181 9 years ago

Thank you! It is a lot of fun to play too.

What have I done?

DSCN3053.JPGDSCN3053.JPG

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh, I do know better than to make broad sweeping pronouncements (one pin will be enough!) but I really enjoy modern, deep, games. I have no real interest right now in trading them out for EMs. Maybe if I wanted to let Elvira go I could go from System 11 to an EM, but I'd be more likely to find an 80s solid state if I wanted "old school" swapping.
I just like pinball. Would I like to put another wedgehead next to ACD? Sure! I'll keep an eye out for something fun. But I don't have the space to really have a large EM collection without giving up games I'm not really interested in losing.

It's hard to plan. You just have to be open to what comes available. We have run so many games through our collection just taking in games as we find them then turning the ones we don't won't in the permanent collection over to others that do like them. I said I'd never own early 80's solid states and now have 3 so never say never. I like our collection and think it is very diverse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-dmd-guy-pick-an-em/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.