(Topic ID: 102806)

Help a DMD guy pick an EM? (Update: Picked!)

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KingNine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3053.JPG
DSCN3049.JPG
IMG_20140930_185422_036.jpg
IMG_20140930_185321_698.jpg
IMG_20140930_185308_807.jpg
image.jpg
0441-2011-0443_1.jpg
IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg
291516-i.jpg
master-po.jpg
th-592.jpeg
image-993.jpg
pinball cop.JPG
3814.JPG
1_zps712e6cab.jpg
Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPG
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

forget the em pinballs.... how about a em gun game

That Haunted House is so awesome. I don't think I'd want to own one myself, but I think it's super cool.

I haven't played Abra Ca Dabra yet. If I get tired of it it will find a happy home in SoCal. But first I'll get it looking super clean.

#102 9 years ago

I'm curious to hear what you think of ACD. It is the latest EM in my collection after collecting for 17 years now. Mine is not set up yet so your point if view will be interesting. Have fun with it.

Mike O.

#103 9 years ago

Congrats on the Abra!

my personal 70's fav's right now

Abra Ca Dabra
Atlantis
El Dorado
Jacks Open
Dimension or 2001

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Abra Ca Dabra
Atlantis
El Dorado
Jacks Open
Dimension or 2001

Those are all titles that would be on my short list for a second game.

#105 9 years ago

Atlantis is the holy grail.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Those are all titles that would be on my short list for a second game.

And so it begins.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And so it begins.

And yet never ends.

#108 9 years ago

pinball cop.JPGpinball cop.JPG

#109 9 years ago

Shipping people picked up my game today, now I gotta make room for it!

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Shipping people picked up my game today, now I gotta make room for it!

It could easily read "Just got my Abra Ca Dabra set up and playing and now I have to make more room for some more em's I want to buy" deja vu maybe?

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

It could easily read "Just got my Abra Ca Dabra set up and playing and now I have to make more room for some more em's I want to buy" deja vu maybe?

Well the plan is to make room for two ...

I have a Jurassic Park that I'm holding for a friend since he lost the space for it, but I'll probably help him sell it shortly, and that would free up a slot too. Past that I'd have to start selling solid states, and I'm not ready to say I'm that smitten yet. See how it goes.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well the plan is to make room for two ...
I have a Jurassic Park that I'm holding for a friend since he lost the space for it, but I'll probably help him sell it shortly, and that would free up a slot too. Past that I'd have to start selling solid states, and I'm not ready to say I'm that smitten yet. See how it goes.

Two means doubling your em's - yeah!

#113 9 years ago

Jeeezzzzz those two pops are close to the flippers!

And people complain about Wolverine. Lol

rd.

image-993.jpgimage-993.jpg

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Jeeezzzzz those two pops are close to the flippers!
And people complain about Wolverine. Lol

I'm gonna LED the game and add two giant wizard figures on top of each pop.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm gonna LED the game and add two giant wizard figures on top of each pop.

Funny! How ever there is not much clearance between the pops and the glass. Its an EM thing.

#116 9 years ago

Abracadabra! Good choice! I have only 6 EM games and Abra is one of those games I come back to and play over and over again! Love it!

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Funny! How ever there is not much clearance between the pops and the glass. Its an EM thing.

No problem, I'll just cut two holes in the glass.

Quoted from jodini:

Abracadabra! Good choice! I have only 6 EM games and Abra is one of those games I come back to and play over and over again! Love it!

Glad to hear it, because I haven't actually played an ACD. Decided to just take a chance since I love the art and it's favorably reviewed by so many. Not a fan of shipping games, but eh, so it goes sometimes.

#118 9 years ago

Just read all the way through this thread and it was a blast. Great stuff, everyone.

I definitely agree with those who have said that EMs can play surprisingly fast. I just finished a Novus 2 clean/wax job (3 coats of Mother's California Gold) on mine and I can not believe how fast it is playing. Mine is a 1970s Williams with DC flippers and pop bumpers. I just re-built the flippers and pops in August and they really slap the ball around now.

Enjoy your new baby!

#119 9 years ago

I mean, I'll get it all set up, but I'm not worried about it playing fast. I can play Tron or Metallica or Star Trek or Shadow if I want a fast game. Gonna just enjoy it for what it is.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, I'll get it all set up, but I'm not worried about it playing fast. I can play Tron or Metallica or Star Trek or Shadow if I want a fast game. Gonna just enjoy it for what it is.

You still want it to play fast enough.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

pinball cop.JPG 250 KB

Rick Grimes!

#122 9 years ago

I just love that there's little (if any) drama in the EM subforum. It's like a different site! I'm a newbie to owning EMs and will be purchasing a few soon. EMs were what I first started playing as a pre-teen in the mid 70s and I just loved them, especially the Gottlieb wedgeheads.

I've already had conversations with some of the guys (Boilerman, poppapin, Vic Camp) and they are great people.

#123 9 years ago

I have a 1972 William's Swinger, I traded an old laptop for it sight unseen and it's still sitting in my garage on the hand truck. I went to PAPA 17 and they had one there, I think I played it about 40 times over the course of the event. The last day it was out of order, so I think I broke it.

I was suprised to learn that it had kickback and a shooter return gate, It's a really fun game! There is a 2 player version also, but I can't recall it's name at the moment.

Anyway, Swinger seems like a great game, it was also the first EM with DC flippers. I'm already making room in the workshop so I can get it up and playing.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I just love that there's little (if any) drama in the EM subforum. It's like a different site!

Truer words have never been spoken!

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can play Tron or Metallica or Star Trek or Shadow if I want a fast game.

And you can sell any of those to get more EMs if the bug bites you. Except for one of course.

th-592.jpegth-592.jpeg

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And you can sell any of those to get more EMs if the bug bites you. Except for one of course.

Shadow is going nowhere! Metallica is definitely staying too. No plans to sell anything else, but it's at least possible, though I'm not likely to give up Tron any time soon either.

I'm really not playing Scared Stiff and Elvira much these days, but damn I do love owning them both.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No plans to sell anything else, but it's at least possible

Anything is possible young grasshopper.

master-po.jpgmaster-po.jpg

#128 9 years ago

O-din, I like being in a small niche of EM owners. I don't want to be in another EM bubble of the late 90s with over priced machines. Let everyone buy those DMDs.

#129 9 years ago

It's OK rat. For some it's just a faze. Let them import them all! In the meantime, I'll start planning an extension for my garage.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's OK rat. For some it's just a faze. Let them import them all! In the meantime, I'll start planning an extension for my garage.

When the DMD guys get sick of the EMs, you might scoop up some bargains.

Start saving!

rd.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When the DMD guys get sick of the EMs, you might scoop up some bargains.

Start saving!

I've been saving my TronLE for just such an occasion.

#132 9 years ago

I have the aab of Abra, Team One. Different art and some added features.

Question...I see a lot of ems set with flippers at an angle. I always put mine parralel with the lower wire guides. What's correct?

Dave
291516-i.jpg291516-i.jpg

#133 9 years ago

Here's mine.
IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpgIMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg

#134 9 years ago

Its all preference. I have mine lined up the same way you have yours. Mine are all flush with the wire.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Question...I see a lot of ems set with flippers at an angle. I always put mine parralel with the lower wire guides. What's correct?
Dave

I set them up with the centerline of the flipper bat parallel with the line of the wire lane guide. So, basically, a little lower than you have set up.

I find the pin guides on WPC games give this same alignment.

#136 9 years ago

I'm an EM newb, but I'd line them up with the wire, wouldn't occur to me to do otherwise. Even with the guide is how all DMD games are meant to be.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Dave

291516-i.jpg 58 KB

These flippers look correct - the flipper should be in line with the lane wire guide.

#138 9 years ago

Thinking most shots are in the 'up-to-across range', I would think it gives the player more accuracy. ???

Quoted from MikeO:I set them up with the centerline of the flipper bat parallel with the line of the wire lane guide. So, basically, a little lower than you have set up.
I find the pin guides on WPC games give this same alignment.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Here's mine.

IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg 128 KB

This flipper is too low because you used the lower wire guide as a reference. I use the lane wire guide as my reference.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

This flipper is too low because you used the lower wire guide as a reference. I use the lane wire guide as my reference.

Exactly.

The wrong wire guide was used as the reference.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
The wrong wire guide was used as the reference.

I always use the wire guide.

Wire guide.

Wire guide.

Everyone use the wire guide.

Use the wire guide now.

(More beer please)

rd.

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

This flipperis too low because you used the lower wire guide as a reference. I use the lane wire guide as my reference.

Thank you.

Quoted from rotordave:I always use the wire guide.
Wire guide.
Wire guide.
Everyone use the wire guide.
Use the wire guide now.
(More beer please)
rd.

But which wire, and when does this apply to the guide that is inline?

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

More beer please

Yes yes.

#144 9 years ago

You should always use the wire that feeds the flipper as your reference AFAIC, it's the only one that counts. Unless there's some weird EM thing I don't know about!

#145 9 years ago

Thanks. I trolled a bit.

#146 9 years ago

So Aurich, it is Saturday. Where is the ACD now? Was it shipped by a bicycle courier? LOL. LOL.
We are just waiting for the photos.

#147 9 years ago

0441-2011-0443_1.jpg0441-2011-0443_1.jpg

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

So Aurich, it is Saturday. Where is the ACD now? Was it shipped by a bicycle courier? LOL. LOL.
We are just waiting for the photos.

Well it's coming from PA to CA. Was picked up last Monday. So maybe end of next week?

#149 9 years ago

Got the call today from STI, ACD should be here tomorrow afternoon. Little faster than I expected.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

ACD should be here tomorrow afternoon.

That's good news! I like it when Robert in Utah puts machines on a plane via Pilot. Two to three days max! Usually a couple of days before I can go pick them up at the depot. My Joker Poker took almost a month to get here from Colorado via SDI.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-dmd-guy-pick-an-em/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.