(Topic ID: 102806)

Help a DMD guy pick an EM? (Update: Picked!)

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KingNine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3053.JPG
DSCN3049.JPG
IMG_20140930_185422_036.jpg
IMG_20140930_185321_698.jpg
IMG_20140930_185308_807.jpg
image.jpg
0441-2011-0443_1.jpg
IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg
291516-i.jpg
master-po.jpg
th-592.jpeg
image-993.jpg
pinball cop.JPG
3814.JPG
1_zps712e6cab.jpg
Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPG
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 9 years ago

Agree with all the others that playing a game first (and ideally play it multiple times 5-10+) is critical - unless you don't mind 'shifting' through games to find what you really like.

I started with mainly 3" flipper games since that is what I remember as a teen and have had some good ones (Jacks Open, Abra ca Dabra, etc.) but really found I liked playing the 2" games better.

I also hear you on wanting a specific theme/artwork. I love the pop-culture and aesthetic qualities of the games. Ideally you can find 'the one' that hits both look and play. For me it is my Sing Along. Good hunting!

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Sorry about that.
Target Alpha is a pretty good game. But, like Rob mentioned, I too really like the traditional lines of the wedgehead cabinets. 1 player is cool. The only other EM I'd like to have is a Diamond Jack. Bank-a-Ball is a replay game, and Diamond Jack is an Add-a-Ball (playing for extra balls instead of credits).
Good luck with your search! Maybe you can bring it to League when it's all ready.

Diamond Jack is the aab of King of Diamonds (replay)
Flipper Pool is the aab of Bank-a-Ball (replay)

All good games there

#53 9 years ago

top of page double post

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

Sorry about that.
Target Alpha is a pretty good game. But, like Rob mentioned, I too really like the traditional lines of the wedgehead cabinets. 1 player is cool. The only other EM I'd like to have is a Diamond Jack. Bank-a-Ball is a replay game, and Diamond Jack is an Add-a-Ball (playing for extra balls instead of credits).
Good luck with your search! Maybe you can bring it to League when it's all ready.

Your game was just gorgeous, it was a lot of fun seeing something that was new, or maybe even better than new looking. I can do all that paint and clearing if I decided I want to. I dunno, we'll see about that part.

I'm in no rush to buy a new pin, the hunt is the fun part, just trying to build a list of titles to look out for.

I would totally bring it to league play, but it's not riding in my coupe, so I'd have to figure that part out. Maybe I could bring Kyle and we could use his truck.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Come play too Rob!!

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Let me know when this happens

I will have to reinforce my screen door.

#56 9 years ago

Agree with the others here. The Ed Krynski/Gordon Morison machines are both cool looking and fun.

Fewer players = less stuff to go wrong and lighter.
Solar City, Target Alpha are great drop target games but why stop there? Get a Canada Dry!

Just know Rare Hero will loose respect for ya.

True story from one of my first pin parties:
RH: I'm gonna go play that Jacks Open
ME: Cool. Enjoy!
(90 seconds later. RH comes back)
ME: What's wrong? Someone playing it?
RH: No, I plunged the ball and I got bored before the ball made it to my flipper!

LOL.

So to repeat what others have said here. Play some and find what you like to play.

Best of luck with your search!

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Just know Rare Hero will loose respect for ya.

He was already texting me last night to give me shit.

#58 9 years ago

I forgot to mention I have a fairly nice Fireball as well. Being a four player it may not have the deepest rules, but the fricken thing is awesome. Multiball!

DSCN3012.JPGDSCN3012.JPG

#59 9 years ago

If you have time to come south to Carlsbad I have few Em's you can sample. None are for sale though.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

None are for sale

Quoted from o-din:

Not for sale

th-162.jpegth-162.jpeg

#61 9 years ago

I went with the artwork and designer first then fell in love with the games. I have three Greg Kmiec/Dave Christensen games and love them all...Wizard, Capt. Fantastic, and Old Chicago. Owned a wedgehead Volley for a while and if you like drop targets I'd check one out...18 drop targets if I remember right. EMs definitely bring up the nostalgia of the old bowling alleys and bars I went to when I was a kid (mostly bowling alleys due to my age)...good luck and have fun.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

He was already texting me last night to give me shit.

…AND - I also gave you a good suggestion! I played this one at PPE and thought it was cool…and fits your 70's space theme!

Moonflight_backglass.jpgMoonflight_backglass.jpg Moonflight_playfield.jpgMoonflight_playfield.jpg
#63 9 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Agree with the others here. The Ed Krynski/Gordon Morison machines are both cool looking and fun.

Agree with this.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I started with that era. Sold them all and went to 60s!

Shhhhh....Don't give away our secrets. I like having all the 60's games rather ice cold and cheaper to buy. Let everyone buy / fight for Atlantis, Abra-Ca-Dabra , El Dorado and C-37.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Shhhhh....Don't give away our secrets. I like having all the 60's games rather ice cold and cheaper to buy. Let everyone buy / fight for Atlantis, Abra-Ca-Dabra , El Dorado and C-37.

After buying DMDs they all seem dirt cheap!

Honestly while I totally get the appeal of a room full of EMs, it's not gonna happen with me, or at least not any time in the foreseeable future. I like modern games, fast and loud and deep, and I have limited space. I have 7 games in my garage now, I could probably fit an 8th if I wanted it badly enough, but then I'm tapped. Solid states are gonna take priority.

I could rotate an EM spot maybe, but really I'm just looking for one for now. So paying extra for a popular one in nice shape just isn't an issue.

#66 9 years ago

If you like them Fast, you may want to focus on some late model WMS EMs. They went DC first and tended to kick A$$. Since for the most part, many of the Single Players are kind of shallow, you might just as well go for a multiplayer. But nothing comes to mind in the art set you are looking for. DC started at Swinger in 1972. For Bally, it happened around Hi Deal in late 75.

#67 9 years ago

Aurich, judging by the games you have you would be bored shitless of an EM of any type after about a week. Play them at O-din's place before you take the plunge. It's like buying a 72 Camaro just because it looks cool in your driveway. You have to want to drive it.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

If you like them Fast, you may want to focus on some late model WMS EMs. They went DC first and tended to kick A$$. Since for the most part, many of the Single Players are kind of shallow, you might just as well go for a multiplayer. But nothing comes to mind in the art set you are looking for. DC started at Swinger in 1972. For Bally, it happened around Hi Deal in late 75.

Not too long ago I shopped a 1976 Williams Aztec for a guy and, man was it wicked fast when I was done with it. Not the greatest looker when compared to a Gottlieb wedgehead but the DC pops and slings combined with sensitive switches and a waxed playfield made it a wicked fast game for an EM.

Right now I'm working on a 1977 Williams Liberty Bell. This game don't seem to get too much lovin' especially when compared to the other bi-centennial, Gottlieb's Spirit of 76. Bally had Freedom as well. Anyway, I got me some plans for this baby and, either Pinsiders are gonna love it or curse me up a storm.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Aurich, judging by the games you have you would be bored shitless of an EM of any type after about a week. .

100% disagree! My first 5+ pins were DMDs.

I admit it took me a few before I found what I liked, but I also have impulse bought just about every pin I've had.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Aurich, judging by the games you have you would be bored shitless of an EM of any type after about a week. Play them at O-din's place before you take the plunge. It's like buying a 72 Camaro just because it looks cool in your driveway. You have to want to drive it.

I have to disagree with this.

If you looked at my collection (current and past) you would have said the same thing to me about being bored shitless of an EM after a week, and that has not turned out to be the case at all.

In fact, quite the opposite. Even though I am buying TWD LE, I have sold 3 DMDs, and I have added 2 EM's, with one more EM coming. And I am scouring CL every day for another EM.

Aurich has played EMs, and in fact it was after he played a super nice Bank a Ball that he was hooked enough to want one.

#71 9 years ago

Playing a badly shopped/restored em will sour a person. There's always a few of those every year at Pinball Expo in Chicago. Playing one that is shopped/restored correctly and dialed in will get peoples attention and make them want one.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Playing a badly shopped/restored em will sour a person. There's always a few of those every year at Pinball Expo in Chicago. Playing one that is shopped/restored correctly and dialed in will get peoples attention and make them want one.

Good point - I hated EMs until I played a well functioning one.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

If you like them Fast, you may want to focus on some late model WMS EMs.

I'm honestly not looking to duplicate what I have. I can play Star Trek or Tron or Metallica or Shadow any time if I want a more intense game with faster moving balls and ramps etc.

And if I wanted a faster game with just some cool psychedelic art there are plenty of older solid states that fit the bill. I might get an 80s game like Scorpion or something some day too. But I want an actual old school EM experience. If I get bored with it I can always sell it, and frankly if I lose a few hundred buck on that, oh well. It's just not a concern.

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Aurich, judging by the games you have you would be bored shitless of an EM of any type after about a week.

Heh. I've played plenty of EMs, I just haven't done my homework on them to really know what's out there, what has better gameplay, who's got the better art, if I really just want a single player wedgehead or should focus on multi-player, that kind of stuff.

Like I said, I want different. I'm not gonna put bricks under the back legs and wax the playfield every day and try and make it play like a DMD game, slow and nudge-heavy is all good. It's for a change of pace. Not replacing all my other games.

#74 9 years ago

Mars Trek

#75 9 years ago

There have been a couple of those listed near me lately actually.

#76 9 years ago

It took me five years to find a C37. There are so many great EMs it is hard to zero in on just one or you will let a bunch of good ones slip by in the process. I would suggest that you either pick a type of game you are looking for or have a list of at least ten titles. Then buy one when it pops up at the right condition and the right price. Unless you have a good tech on standby I suggest buying one that you can play a game on without a bunch of trouble before buying.

Edit: Outer Space and Orbit are great playing games.

#77 9 years ago

The hunt is part of the fun, I'm not really in a rush, but point taken.

Someone's already offered me an Abra Ca Dabra, but I'd have to ship. Not out of the question, but shipping stresses me out, and is expensive.

#78 9 years ago

I have owned all the games except Elvira in your collection. I used to have 100% dmd, now I am down to 2 dmd - IM and Metallica. But I also want Tron and ACDC.

To me the above games are intense, addictive, short ball times - usually!

But em's apart from the nostalgia, great artwork, have that addictive, one more game feature. Gottliebs in particular were designed to always make you feel close but you never quite get there.

Games that have a deeper ruleset, i.e progressive and that will drive you nuts are - 70's

Abra ca Dabra
Atlantis
Jacks Open
El Dorado

Those are all drop targets as well.

In terms of 'one more game' the Gottliebs from 61 -67 had this big time. Wow, those games can humble anyone. And I hear Gottlieb's 51 - 55 are some of the best games ever made, but yet to experience them.

#79 9 years ago

Coming into Ems from DMDs, I would go for a good condition Multi ball, Like 4million BC or fire ball.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The hunt is part of the fun, I'm not really in a rush, but point taken.
Someone's already offered me an Abra Ca Dabra, but I'd have to ship. Not out of the question, but shipping stresses me out, and is expensive.

Abra Ca Dabra would be a great choice. Love the artwork and if I remember its a pretty darn fun player.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Abra Ca Dabra would be a great choice. Love the artwork and if I remember its a pretty darn fun player.

I can vouch for that

Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPGAbra Ca Dabra 001.JPG
#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have 7 games in my garage now, I could probably fit an 8th if I wanted it badly enough, but then I'm tapped.

That's what living rooms are for.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's what living rooms are for.

Haha, not in our house! Just not big enough even if my wife was tolerant of the idea. And I wouldn't even ask her, she doesn't care about pinball in the slightest and is super supportive of my crazy money and time pit hobby.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have owned all the games except Elvira in your collection. I used to have 100% dmd, now I am down to 2 dmd - IM and Metallica. But I also want Tron and ACDC.

To me the above games are intense, addictive, short ball times - usually!

But em's apart from the nostalgia, great artwork, have that addictive, one more game feature. Gottliebs in particular were designed to always make you feel close but you never quite get there.

I can't see replacing my collection with EMs, but I'm smart enough to know by now that in this hobby you never say never. I definitely get the appeal of a line of wedgeheads, they look so nice in a row. If I had more space I'd probably try to have a small collection. Would make choosing much easier too!

I absolutely hear you on the "one more game" aspect. I definitely recommend Tron for that, of all my games it's the one I can just bang START on again the most easily.

#84 9 years ago

If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped over the nostalgia part and started buying 2 inch flipper games from the 60s first. I have a few 70s games left, but the earlier ones give me that one more game feeling way more than the later models.

I still have a few 70s machines that are keepers, but from now on all incoming will be the older games where nudging is king! The older games also used bells instead of chimes and in many cases have much classier artwork. Of course "classy" is in the eye of the beholder.

#85 9 years ago

Speaking of incoming, Robert is sending me a little bonus to go along with that very nice Kings and Queens. I haven't always been a big fan of Stenholm's artwork, but I think I can live with this one.

1_zps712e6cab.jpg1_zps712e6cab.jpg

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped over the nostalgia part and started buying 2 inch flipper games from the 60s first. I have a few 70s games left, but the earlier ones give me that one more game feeling way more than the later models.

The journey and hunt is part of the fun though! You wouldn't really want to replace finding and playing all those machines and learning what you really liked would you?

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The journey and hunt is part of the fun though! You wouldn't really want to replace finding and playing all those machines and learning what you really liked would you?

Yes they are! Most of the games I originally went after, like that EM Joker Poker were games I had played on route. Mostly games I had played a lot because they were easy to win games on. Money was scarce back in the day. Now I am after the harder games. The ones that took my money and ones like them.

I have never played Palooka before. But I think it looks cool and is the same era as my Big Daddy.

For you being younger and not having that experience it makes sense for you to try them all! And then decide what you really want. In my case I like having a variety from all eras, but for now I am going to concentrate on the older ones.

1 week later
#88 9 years ago

Thanks to boilerman I have an Abra Ca Dabra on its way to me. Already ordered new plastics and an apron decal from Pinball Rescue and I'm on the waiting list for the new Webb backglass.

I'll post pics once I get it all set.

#89 9 years ago

Abra Ca Dabra. Well, a great choice!
This game is very frustratingly fun to play. While having the 'Special Lit" does not mean you are going to hit it every time. As that centre target has to be hit just right or the ball will just drop SDTM. I play ACD almost every day. It can really piss me off, then, I am right back at it. This game must have been very good earner in the arcades.

#90 9 years ago

I'll make sure to wear my SDTM t-shirt while I'm playing.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Thanks to boilerman I have an Abra Ca Dabra on its way to me. Already ordered new plastics and an apron decal from Pinball Rescue and I'm on the waiting list for the new Webb backglass.

But..but..."there's nothing to do"!

Congrats!

Oh, and....dibs!

#92 9 years ago

nice aurich! grats! let me know how you like it, there's other strange people in this world that are starting to like EM's too! whats going on here

#93 9 years ago

Abra's pretty cool. I find it to be way too easy most of the time, but it's definitely got that "one more game" ness to it.

#94 9 years ago

Welcome to the EM club!

#95 9 years ago

forget the em pinballs.... how about a em gun game

3814.JPG3814.JPG

forgot to mention... congrats on the new pin!

#96 9 years ago

You can't go wrong with any card themed wedge head. Jacks Open is my favorite followed by Centigrade 37 and Atlantis.

#97 9 years ago

Great choice…. love that game!

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Play them at O-din's place before you take the plunge. It's like buying a 72 Camaro just because it looks cool in your driveway. You have to want to drive it.

This part is SO true.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Congrats! That's a fun one - I played it for the first time last weekend, and thought it was fun.

#100 9 years ago

ACD is just OK

All kidding aside congrats on your first EM..........and certainly not your last.

Now play away

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-dmd-guy-pick-an-em/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.