(Topic ID: 102806)

Help a DMD guy pick an EM? (Update: Picked!)

By Aurich

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by KingNine
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3053.JPG
DSCN3049.JPG
IMG_20140930_185422_036.jpg
IMG_20140930_185321_698.jpg
IMG_20140930_185308_807.jpg
image.jpg
0441-2011-0443_1.jpg
IMG_20140925_202612_522.jpg
291516-i.jpg
master-po.jpg
th-592.jpeg
image-993.jpg
pinball cop.JPG
3814.JPG
1_zps712e6cab.jpg
Abra Ca Dabra 001.JPG
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

I've been thinking I'd like to try adding an EM to my collection. I like variety, as much as I dig modern Sterns and classic Bally/Williams DMDs it's good to have choice. I have a System 11, a WPC, a WPC95, and the two different backbox styles of modern Sterns. An EM would round me out some more.

I really don't know jack about them though. I'll have to learn my tech, but I don't really know what titles to look out for.

I was hoping maybe people might have suggestions for me if I gave some parameters? I'm thinking probably a 70s machine, drop targets and fuller sets of rules.

I would really love to have something with sci fi or fantasy style art. So for example I love the look of games like Eye of the Tiger, Abra Ca Dabra, Centigrade 37, etc. Doesn't have to be a wedgehead, but man, they look great when cleaned up.

I'm willing to pay more for a nice one, DMDs have me used to paying for pins, but I'd consider doing a full restore, including playfield and cabinet paint for the right game. Ideally it will be something with repro plastic s available, or not impossible to find if I went that route.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips!

#2 9 years ago

Hahahaha!

The fever is going around and infecting the DMD guys one by one!

#3 9 years ago

Aurich, I'm pretty new to the EM stuff myself. Best advice I can give you is to try and play some EMs. Not that you necessarily have to buy the ones that you play, but they will give you an idea of what you like. Drop targets? Spinners? 2 inch or 3 inch flippers? Replay vs Add a Ball? Etc.

Wedgeheads are sweet because of the artwork and the shape of the head. Very appealing lines. But the Wedgeheads are single players. That's fine, but some EM's are superb for multi player games as they tend to have short ball times.

Good luck, and most of all, enjoy the hunt!

#4 9 years ago

It seems like a lot of EMs don't get plastics busted up quite like newer games, so you may not even need to worry about repro plastics, unless you're looking at a game where they're really toasted.

Gottlieb EMs tend to be popular. I'm a big fan of Top Score, and Centigrade 37 and Quick Draw are both great.

Personally, I'd say got for a Gottlieb with 3" flippers, an asymmetrical playfield, and a theme that you like. Within those parameters, it's pretty hard to go wrong.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I sure hope I had nothing to do with all this foolishness.

#6 9 years ago

I love my Jumping Jack and Abra Ca Dabra. I have a C37 in my restoration queue, and I think the art is top-notch, but if don't think I'll enjoy it as much as the others. IPDB reviews can be a good way to get to know your EMs - paying more attention to the comments than the numbers.

#7 9 years ago

Gottlieb El Dorado.

If you can locate a Wade Cross Playfield, the Backglass (webb) and Plastics (PBR) are readily available which would get you pretty close to a new Gottlieb Wedgehead.

Ken

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Hahahaha!

I'm 100% immune.

#9 9 years ago

Just got a C37 a few weeks and me and the kids really like it. I love the sound of the chimes and all the relays going off when you restart the game. Its a nice compliment to a modern pin collection, very retro cool. C37 also has repro glass and plastics available if needed.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I sure hope I had nothing to do with all this foolishness.

You damn well know you had everything to do with it!

Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm 100% immune.

Good! We don't need any more competition for nice EMs in SoCal!

#11 9 years ago

Mid 70s Gottliebs are where I'd start. All but one of mine are from that era and all designed by Ed Krynski. Fast Draw and Jungle Princess are probably my favs.

#12 9 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-buying-an-em-buyers-guide
I made this post at the end of last year, hope it helps.

Since then I've bought 14 EMs and sold 7. My advice:
1. play many and allow yourself to change your mind.
2. Befriend em folks
3. By quality cosmetics
4. Don't over pay. Pins are veryveryvery easy to buy, but can be difficult to sell.
5. Don't give up on 2" flippers. For me it gives a very nice contrast to my more modern pins. I also found that if I want to use big flippers I'll play a dmd. 2" flippers are different and provide good challenge.
6. Learn to rebuild. Pensive, pinwiki, and pinrepair are great resources.
7. Do what DirtFlipper says . I am convinced he is always right. I wouldn't have bought all these and then sold them if I had listened to what he told me last year. I guess I am just one of those people who insist on making their own mistakes.

Good luck!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Mid 70s Gottliebs are where I'd start. All but one of mine are from that era and all designed by Ed Krynski. Fast Draw and Jungle Princess are probably my favs.

I started with that era. Sold them all and went to 60s!

#14 9 years ago

A Playmatic pin.

I used my Playmatic Conquest 200 in my Pinsomnia 2014 tournament as a side classics tourney pin, and it was such a hit that the dude who runs Pinsanity (a pinhead friend) asked if he could use it in his tournament.

It got rave reviews across the board. If I were looking to add another EM, I'd gladly add another Playmatic, they rock.

#15 9 years ago

Abra Ca Dabra has cool art a great ruleset - makes you come back for "one more". C-37 is a looker and a good player. Atlantis probably doesn't fit your theme you're after but it has a great ruleset too..... 2001 and Dimension aren't bad either.

#16 9 years ago

How about just an early ss game. I would recommend a game like countdown, joker poker or strikes and spares.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Good! We don't need any more competition for nice EMs in SoCal!

Don't worry, all 5 of you can duke it out amongst yourselves.

#18 9 years ago

The deeper you get into EMs the deeper you go back. Kind of like that dinosaur movie with Troy McClure. Maybe that was Doug? Well anyway, now for me, it's all about the woodrails. Bring on those gobble holes baby!

Edit-Actually right now I'm stuck in the early 60s. I'm waiting on an overhaul for that flux capacitor.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Hahahaha!

It's kinda Chris' (ColorDMD) fault. He brought his sweet restored wedgehed to last OC League tournament last weekend ( see it here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/65-gottlieb-bank-a-ball-finally-back-together-after-3-years ) and it was kinda the last straw, seeing one so nicely done pushed me over the edge.

I'll definitely play some more, I know where I can do that, but I figured I'd start a short list of pins to keep an eye out for based on themes.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

It seems like a lot of EMs don't get plastics busted up quite like newer games, so you may not even need to worry about repro plastics, unless you're looking at a game where they're really toasted.

Yeah, but I kinda want to bring something to a more like new feeling. Not really worried about warped or broken plastics so much as just the yellowing and fading of age. I get that for some people that's part of the charm, like the patina on vintage Rolex faces, but I'm not that kind of collector.

I'll take clean and bright over faded and original.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Gottlieb El Dorado.
If you can locate a Wade Cross Playfield, the Backglass (webb) and Plastics (PBR) are readily available which would get you pretty close to a new Gottlieb Wedgehead.
Ken

See, I know people love that game, and I'm sure it's fun and great. But the western theme isn't what I'm looking for. If I'm going to get an EM the theme is going to be just as important as the gameplay, the art really matters to me.

That's why I suggested the sci fi or fantasy thoughts. Doesn't have to strictly be in those genres if it's a great design, but it hopefully gives a ballpark idea of what I'm trying to find.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll use them to do more research.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll take clean and bright over faded and original.

No reason you can't have both! Check out Mr. Shiny!
nice!.JPGnice!.JPG
shiny.JPGshiny.JPG

#25 9 years ago

Double trouble.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's why I suggested the sci fi or fantasy thoughts. Doesn't have to strictly be in those genres if it's a great design, but it hopefully gives a ballpark idea of what I'm trying to find.

I know what your looking for. The Sci Fi era during EM pinball times art wise was cheesy at best. Just look at the backglass on 2001. But all artwork was hand drawn. Early EMs had rocket themes and such, but the best art was based on pretty pin-up girls. Just my opinion of course.
BigDaddyFTW.JPGBigDaddyFTW.JPG

#27 9 years ago

Of course, there is always these-
Backglass-773.jpgBackglass-773.jpgimage-8-268.jpgimage-8-268.jpg

#28 9 years ago

And this.
image-18.jpgimage-18.jpg

#29 9 years ago

Me, I'd go with the Space Ship. If I could find one.

#30 9 years ago

Strange World looks great.

I like the wedgeheads, the single player part doesn't matter to me. I have plenty of pins my friends like to play already.

#31 9 years ago

Target Alpha? Fun Sci-fi graphics, same PF layout as El Dorado, 4 player so not as "deep" a ruleset, though I prefer having to knock down 15 drop targets with a single ball instead of 3 or 5. And I know where you can try one locally...

#32 9 years ago

C37 fits your criteria. As does Abra Ca Dabra.

And maybe Jacks Open 1977 wedgehead - drop targets but a much more progressive ruleset. On my wishlist!

Or 2 player drop target, fantasy art - Gemini. But super hard to find and expensive!

Backglass2.gifBackglass2.gif Backglass.jpgBackglass.jpg
#33 9 years ago

Best idea is to get to Arts or Odins place (or of course Pinball Land where you go) and play as many as you can.

I also recommend El Dorado. Who cares about the artwork ... (well you, probably..) but its the gameplay with this one which is killer. The skill is to get 5000 a drop as opposed to 500. Very very addictive.

Space Time is a killer game. There is one for sale on Pinside now in L.A. for $500.

Lots of killer EMs, thats only two.

rd

#34 9 years ago

If you are just getting into EM's and your goal is to work on them as well as play, then a single player is the way to go. Much easier to get your feet wet with the relatively simple design on a wedgehead, than a 4 player beast like Wizard or Royal Flush.

My favorite wedgeheads are the early 60's, games like Slick Chick, Majorettes, Kings and Queens and Bowling Queen. Great art, and the gameplay is addictive!

#35 9 years ago

Gottlieb Atlantis

#36 9 years ago

Start doing some charity work helping people fix up their busted pins and it won't be too long before an EM will fall into your lap. My tech buddy doesn't personally like EMs as they are a ton of wiring. Be prepared to clean all the contacts. We were working on a Genie and the owner took us across the street to see a non-working Spin Out. Just make sure to look into parts availability before you commit to by.
I once saw 2 Night Riders in a guys garage the EM and the SS that would be really neat to play both and compare the 'feel' of play.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Target Alpha? Fun Sci-fi graphics, same PF layout as El Dorado, 4 player so not as "deep" a ruleset, though I prefer having to knock down 15 drop targets with a single ball instead of 3 or 5. And I know where you can try one locally...

Yeah, speaking of trying EMs locally, you let me know when you have some free time.

#38 9 years ago

FIREBALL best EM in my view.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

If you are just getting into EM's and your goal is to work on them as well as play, then a single player is the way to go. Much easier to get your feet wet with the relatively simple design on a wedgehead, than a 4 player best like Wizard or Royal Flush.

Yeah, that sounds like smart advice. I love projects, but honestly I don't have a ton of project time right now, so not biting off more than I can chew for a first game would probably be smart.

Quoted from BMHouze:

Start doing some charity work helping people fix up their busted pins and it won't be too long before an EM will fall into your lap.

Heh, see above about free time. I don't mind paying for one, or even paying for a nice one. When you're used to buying modern DMDs your pain threshold for pin purchases gets stretched pretty far.

#40 9 years ago

I have a Flight 2000 Pin that is not an EM, but it is a fun playing game. It needs a little restoration, but I will sell it with all of the parts that I purchased to do the restoration myself. The game is also a wide body which gets a lot of hate, but in my opinion Flight 2000 is the best of the wide body games. If you have any questions about it, or if anyone is interested just pm me. =)

#41 9 years ago

I'm getting some PMs and offers, so I'll just say this:

I'm not quite ready to buy, the spot this would go in has my friend's Jurassic Park in it right now, we need to fix the t-rex before we can sell it.

Also, while I appreciate the other offers for various neat looking games, I'm really looking for an EM, not a solid state. I could find lots of cool solid state games no problem, I'm really looking to explore territory I'm not so familiar with.

Also, while I'd be willing to ship for the right offer or deal, I'm not in a rush, and would prefer to buy locally. I think the only way I'd even consider shipping would be because I fell in love with a title and someone had a super clean or restored version.

Thanks for the consideration though, I do appreciate it.

#42 9 years ago

I have a Solar City which is the two player version of El Dorado and Target Alpha. It has futuristic artwork that is not too overbearing. It was my first EM and has managed to stick around. It was my only EM for quite a while and served that purpose well. Not for sale, but you are welcome to play it and the others.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have a Solar City which is the two player version of El Dorado and Target Alpha. It has futuristic artwork that is not too overbearing. It was my first EM and has managed to stick around. It was my only EM for quite a while and served that purpose well. Not for sale, but you are welcome to play it and the others.

Thanks man, I'll have to make a trip out to play with you and Nimble.

#44 9 years ago

I played a 4 Million BC at the Seattle Pinball Museum... that was really fun!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Then we can all kick my Shadow.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What am I? Chopped liver?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What am I? Chopped liver?

Come play too Rob!!

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Let me know when this happens

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's kinda Chris' (ColorDMD) fault.

Sorry about that.

Target Alpha is a pretty good game. But, like Rob mentioned, I too really like the traditional lines of the wedgehead cabinets. 1 player is cool. The only other EM I'd like to have is a Diamond Jack. Bank-a-Ball is a replay game, and Diamond Jack is an Add-a-Ball (playing for extra balls instead of credits).

Good luck with your search! Maybe you can bring it to League when it's all ready.

#50 9 years ago

Target Alpha is a good call. 4 player, very cool sci-fi theme and great artwork and it is a 4 player.
It is my favorite game in my small collection. If I had to get rid of all my games but one, it is the one I would keep.
Just my 2 cents worth......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-dmd-guy-pick-an-em/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.