Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mrgone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0609121759a.jpg
0609121759.jpg

#1 7 years ago

i was replacing the coil on the left flipper on lotr. the one on there is getting hot,getting weak etc. ordered new parts from pinball life. i took the old one off and put the new one on the same way. nothing. it not doing anything. i had the game off while i was working. i checked the left flipper fuse and its fine. the right flipper functions properly. im a noob so please forgive my noobness.

#2 7 years ago

If you have a multimeter check the fuse first

#3 7 years ago

and while checking the fuse, check the transistor to, you have to look at the manual to know which one controlling the flipper.

#4 7 years ago

i have a multimeter. noob question again. im clueless as to how to use it.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Google and YouTube can help.

Or turn the meter on, set to ohms ( a kind of horse show shaped symbol open at the bottom ) and short the leads together.

See what the meter reads ? Okay now using a fuse, so you short the leads together with the fuse between the leads, you should get the same reading as when you first shorted them.

LTG

#6 7 years ago

this is probably important. when i powered up and started a game the first time i hit the left flipper button it reset the game.i blew a transistor didn't i?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

the easiest way to do it is, remove the fuse first. set the multimeter on the continuity test mode "looks like an arrow to the right". take your probes and touch them to both ends of the fuse. A good fuse reading will generate a beeping sound or will read 0.

try comparing it to other fuses just to make sure if they all read the same or not.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

this is probably important. when i powered up and started a game the first time i hit the left flipper button it reset the game.i blew a transistor didn't i?

Or wired it up wrong.

LTG

#9 7 years ago

Visually check all your wiring versus the other flipper. If something blew you need to find the problem first.

The following articles covers how to use a DMM.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/ss-tutorials/122-electronics-tutorial-4-test-equipment

#10 7 years ago

i looked at the other flipper it look the same to me but im new at repair. im pretty good with mechanical things but i know less than nothing about electrical.

#11 7 years ago

Make sure the stripe on the diode is oriented the same as the other flipper. That would quickly blow a fuse or transistor. Post a picture of the problem flipper and wiring.

#12 7 years ago

here are 2 pics. i hope this helps.

0609121759.jpg

#13 7 years ago

here are 2 pics. i hope this helps. 0609121759a.jpg

#14 7 years ago

Need better quality pictures to be of any help. I can't even see the band on the diode.

#15 7 years ago

i am using my camera phone. sorry,i will try to send better pics.

#16 7 years ago

i have looked and looked in the owners manual. what transistor does the flipper use?

#17 7 years ago

Just my personal opinion, but don't worry about the transistor until you figure out what blew it. Otherwise your just going to blow another transistor.

Again, I would be very suspicious the diode is reversed or the hot and ground leads to the solenoid are reversed (the same result as reversing the diode).

#18 7 years ago

after looking at the manual i realized i had the wires crossed which blew the transistor.
i redid the wires to the correct position and now i need to find the right transistor.
i found it on the board but the writing is too mall for me to see.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

i found it on the board but the writing is too mall for me to see.

if you've got a better camera, take a photo of it and then zoom in to read the writing on the board.

I was going to comment about why you're going to malls with small writing, but I decided to try and help instead

#20 7 years ago

i got out a magnifying glass out its a p20n10

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I can't even see the band on the diode.

That's a funny one...lol...as if a band could fit on that little diode! Even a 3 person rock band, say a Lead guitar, Bass guitar and a drummer would not fit.

TOO SMALL A SPACE!!!!!!!!!!

#23 7 years ago

cool,thank you 1 and all for helping me. pinside is great because of you folks.

#24 7 years ago

great plains says out of stock. i think pinball life has one that is a replacement also.

#25 7 years ago

Is it an LOTR LE or regular LOTR? The diode needs to be removed from the new coil if it is an LE version.

#26 7 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=190&parent=0

Terry has it.

LE or regular has the same board. LE isn't SAM System.

LTG

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is it an LOTR LE or regular LOTR? The diode needs to be removed from the new coil if it is an LE version.

its a reg.verson.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Terry has it.
LTG

cool,thanks. i will order some now. that is the same one that is used for the magnet.

#29 7 years ago

My guess is that you swapped the coil wires. Wiring the coil backwards would cause exactly this and would have blown your transistor on your board.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

My guess is that you swapped the coil wires. Wiring the coil backwards would cause exactly this and would have blown your transistor on your board.

yep. im a noob. well i have learned quite a bit today.i learned how to ue a multi meter and i learned to always take pics of any part before i remove it. oh,and crossing the wires is bad.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Terry has it.
LTG

Doesn't matter. The Sam uses the same part for flipper coils. (Just swapped one on my spiderman)

#32 7 years ago

i replaced the transistor. im getting proper readings on it and from the fuse. still no power to the left flipper. every time i power up and start a game i press the left flipper button nothing happens and the fuse blows.
what am i doing wrong?

#33 7 years ago

FIXED! i pulled the diode on the coil,installed new diode. installed new transistor and reconnected the wires correctly. thank you to everyone here who offered advice and support to the repair noob. it works great with no flipper buzz and i learned alot about how these wonderful machines work. thank you again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Machine - For Sale
Billings, MT
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Akron, OH

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside