Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by cj69
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EBFBCB29-687A-4487-92A3-F13035389C5E (resized).jpeg
    72CFBD17-B871-4285-AADE-8DC43685B55E (resized).jpeg
    2D4D1058-1775-42D9-8812-0FDEFA660359 (resized).jpeg
    F1263FDD-058F-43B2-8A58-A13B913D721A (resized).jpeg
    379416D8-E253-4CB0-BB4E-8F13C659B356 (resized).jpeg
    9E0CCF38-A88A-4184-81B9-3E8A478202DC (resized).jpeg
    7BAD2B0F-3C06-48CC-A537-9AEF71CF87BA (resized).jpeg
    8D11CCCD-6ABA-4783-9A88-7AD9DE062D65 (resized).jpeg
    C253AAC4-C7A9-4D08-8F6A-1E49023FDCB8 (resized).jpeg
    E422CBE0-6769-4BD1-B5C4-0F19B94A9D91 (resized).jpeg
    9CDC0B9C-388A-4762-8E41-2F202B6505F7 (resized).jpeg
    114061 (resized).jpeg
    5A4CDB49-12A8-4075-AD39-3F943CF30C8D (resized).jpeg
    713D6C2F-C3BC-4638-8866-55A1BC91EA66 (resized).jpeg
    F97C0A60-1FBF-471F-9DCC-0237D3786214 (resized).jpeg
    54B046EF-D844-4ABD-9EFC-B1003542B2E0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cj69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi Pinside, there are so many ideas of new pinball titles that our fellow pinball enthusiasts come up with on the forums and I've made my suggestions also. We all may hope to see a specific theme that we would like to see come into fruition someday, but come to the realization that it will probably never happen. So many of us either build our own from scratch, which is without a doubt an amazing accomplishment and something I cannot do or pick up an already existing machine that has a layout and rules that they can integrate their own theme to. This project I took on of converting a Devils Dare into a Hellraiser Pinball machine started well over a year ago and always knew it would be a system 80 game with a layout that I liked. The donor game DD wasn't in the best or worst shape when I got it just a players game at best. For me it was the perfect candidate to re-theme, If a game is in excellent condition it is my personal belief that a re-theme of such an example wouldn't be appropriate.
    Here are some of the New features that will be added to the original design by Tom Szafransky's already great game. If your familiar with the movie Hellraiser then you are well aware of the Lament Configuration aka known as the puzzle box or just the box. Having a functional transforming puzzle box was a must if I were to do this even close to right and for me with no robotics or mechanical experience took a bit of trial and error but I made it through and it will transform. The box will make one maneuver each time you complete a 5 drop target bank and lock a ball . Once you've completed the box then multi-ball will begin. the Characters I've chosen to be in the game are Pinhead, Chatterer, The Engineer and Kirsty. Kirsty is basically the player of the game and like the movie she "mistakenly" opens the box and is introduced to her new unfortunate friends, this will be relative to starting a game. Once the game begins the intimidation at every turn becomes kirsty's fight for survival and to undo opening the box by reversing the maneuvers and lock the cenobites back into the puzzle box. Completing drop target banks and spot targets get you the player closer to finding the cenobites protected secret algorithms that lock them away.
    At the ball lock saucer on the left there will be an up-kicker that sends the ball into a wire form habitrail that travels across the playfield and ends up on the right side in-lanes which will give the player control to get the ball in a position to rollover either in-lane to light up the spinner shot/ball 2 lock or prepare for two ball multi-ball . Originally it would take some nudging or chance to get the ball to rollover these in-lanes but i wanted it to become something to shoot for. There are a few other surprises I have but I'll save them for the near future to share.
    The original rules of this game are quite easy to understand but not necessarily easy to accomplish. I'm hoping it comes out to be a fun game , I've commissioned professional illustrator Brian Allen to do the playfield Art were almost done with that, I have expert pinball tech Matt Malone in my corner to integrate or connect the new features into the game. Looking forward to getting this done and sharing this project with you . thank you !!
    Hellrasier backbox translite poor quality (resized).jpgHellrasier backbox translite poor quality (resized).jpgpinball 2 (resized).pngpinball 2 (resized).pngpinball 3 (resized).pngpinball 3 (resized).pnghellraiser pinball rules idea (resized).jpghellraiser pinball rules idea (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago

Thank you metal-mods. Rdoyle1978 The Engineer was a must have because he’ actually chases Kirsty which is the feel I’m trying to accomplish in this game. The pics I put up are not the finish product. The Backglass will most likely be a real Backglass printed on the glass. The photo is a translite . But I’ll keep the pics coming.

#6 2 years ago

Yes Matt ! Once the Playfield is printed and populated it is going to be quite a project from there.I Couldn’t of taken this on without ya. Much advanced thanks .

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from horseflesh:

I love this idea. cj69 I may be able to help with some Hellraiser-like plastics... I have some black and gold laser-engravable acrylic, a laser, and vector art of the puzzle box to work from. Happy to contribute some stuff if it will help. [quoted image]

Hi and thank you ! So yes I would like to use this product to cover the apron. I was considering either using this or the same brass etching technique that I will use for the lament configuration (the puzzle box) but the apron is quite large and it would make more sense to use your product . please let me know what type of file you need so I create the template from scans. The apron is 24" wide by 8" . thanks again.

#9 2 years ago

Here is a short raw video of the puzzle box's 1st three maneuvers in action. The box is 2 3/4 inches (1/4 smaller than the screen used box) And had to be 3-D printed smaller so that when reached full elevation it would not exceed 6 inches or it could hit the glass. It is in two parts, one will remain stationary and the 2nd be the movable part that is connected to the motors (in this video it is literally just resting on the metal tubing. The box will be sanded smooth and brass etchings will be used in its place to replicate the screen used prop as close as possible. there is still work to be done on the mech, for example both motors will need an adjustable speed control so that it transforms at the same speed as the movie and be connected to the game using triggers and or relays. I'm always open for any suggestions or ideas to make a better game. thank you !

puzzle box 3D printed and elevating (resized).jpgpuzzle box 3D printed and elevating (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago

Thank you !

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

The puzzle box might be the coolest toy in a pin! Absolutely awesome!!

Thank you! I'll take the compliment, just hope it turns out worthy of such a comment. I'm hopeful that even non fans of the movie will be excited to see the transformation during gameplay. That "what is happening moment" is what I'm shooting for.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from metal-mods:

Yep, you killed it with that mach!

Thank you Metal-mods ! The first mech I made was a little long so I had to re-design it but initially had trouble trying fitting the mech under the playfield.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

"We have such sights to show you"
    This will be a fun game!

Quoted from gjm:

"Ah, Kirsty, so eager to play, so reluctant to admit it"

Thank you guys! Both of these quotes will be used in the game and thanks for the support, I hope so.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

Hellraiser is my favorite horror movie of all time, can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Thank you , Freeplay 2022 ? Ill keep going. maybe it'll show up there.

2 months later
    #25 2 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Any updates on the project?

Hello gjm , yes there are quite a few things happening in regard to the playfield art. The Illustrator (Brian Allen) who was very excited to take this project on as a hellraiser movie fan, is presently now working on the background art for the playfield. The 4 characters (Pinhead, Chatterer, The Engineer and Kirsty are completed at this time so i'm leaving Brian to it and should be done within a few weeks.

The Art is going to be Printed directly to the wood playfield and most likely clear-coated by myself. when the time comes, I will post some video of that process. it should fall into the catagory of "such sights to show you".

If you or anyone has any suggestions or "must haves" in this re-theme please share, the only thing in stone at this point and quite unchangeable is the playfield art, BUT, I may be able to sneak something on the playfield last minute without driving Brian too Crazy. Tell me your thought. thanks again-Clint

#27 2 years ago

Here is a another peek at the playfield art of The Chatterer. There is no background art yet but soon there will be.He will be located on the left side of the playfield at the area presently known as the captive cave and will now be referred to as the Chatterer’s Lair where we have a cutout on the playfield where a figure of the Chatter Beast will under the playfield and only visible when it’s time to lock a ball. Any suggestion for background ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

B374E669-25F0-4E23-9542-412E9E809A71 (resized).jpegB374E669-25F0-4E23-9542-412E9E809A71 (resized).jpeg

#29 2 years ago

Yes! Awesome avatar. Before coming to my senses And hiring an illustrator, I was considering doing some of the art myself this was going to be the centerpiece on the playfield.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Very cool, following. See my avatar

Thank you!

5 months later
    #32 1 year ago

Hello people, it's been a short while since I've posted an update on the Hellraiser re-theme and I'm glad to say that the playfield art has been completed and the file is in my possession. I'd like to share a few pics with you guys to get your input. I know Brian (Allen) worked very hard to get this playfield as close to my description as humanly possible, (quite frankly i drove him a little nuts ) but I have one shot at the art before it gets printed on the playfield then clear coated. I'm very pleased with what he's done, what do you guys think? (Suggestions, must have's, etc.) keep in mind i still haven't selected insert colors, some borders may be missing and the plastics (shown in blue in one pic, stone in another) may be changed, looking for suggestions.

HellRaiser playfield small resolution (resized).jpgHellRaiser playfield small resolution (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Middle and center chatterer and engineer low res (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Middle and center chatterer and engineer low res (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Playfield lower picture of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Playfield lower picture of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield full pic of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield full pic of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield top center pop bumper and kirsty small res (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield top center pop bumper and kirsty small res (resized).jpg

Hellraiser playfield lower left (resized).jpgHellraiser playfield lower left (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower center (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower center (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower right (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower right (resized).jpg
    #40 1 year ago

Thank you folks for all your input on this, I appreciate your forthright input here, ( Jappie was especially polite) there is still some time for adjustments and tweaks that are going to be made for I am still working on some details before sending this out to print on the playfield (within the next 30 days). I'm glad to see some of our fellow fans still quite passionate about the classic film and its characters. Early on when i chose to have the art appear to have a comic art style appearance, I realized that the artist rendering may not emulate our favorite villains and the actors that portrayed them exactly. let's face it none of us could accept any other actor besides Doug Bradley for the roll of Pinhead-lead cenobite, the love for these classics run deep.
    The colors for the inserts have still not been chosen and many have suggested to use Clear on all of them and change the bulbs, and i may do that in some sections (drop target areas). There is the opportunity to use color matching inserts to help the player connect the dots so to speak by using the colors to determine where to shoot and what could be the result, so I'm open to suggestions on that. Thanks again!

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

Oh wow, this will be amazing. Love the artwork style. Fresh and clean, but still in line with the original theme.
    I always thought Hellraiser would make a great pinball theme, if only for the Pinhead - Pinhead connection. But I figured it was too much of a niche franchise. It's great to see this amazing homebrew being made!
    I do agree on Pinhead's head. Some tweaks are welcome there to make him look more like his menacing self.
    As a lover of the original movie, I kinda miss the female cenobite and Butterball. I realise they're not a character in your game, but maybe they deserve a small depiction? They're so intriguing and dramatic in the way they look: perfect for pinball art. Remenber, early 80s pinball art often goes much deeper than the game itself (Flash Gordon is a good example), so I'd say there's no shame if the art would show them without them being part of the storyline. I also miss Frank a bit, but to a lesser extent.
    Again, this is just my opinion. The current design is already amazing as it is. Can't wait for your future updates. Thanks for updating us. And good luck with the build!

Thank you Jappie, I agree it would be great to have that all the characters from the film, they all stopped me in my tracks for one reason or another. The few of the contributing factors were trying to keep the game rules a little less confusing along with the difficulty I had with integrating the theme to the game rules or the Doner game (Devil's Dare). The budget was also something to keep in mind because each character can add hours more of work and illustrator hours can add up quickly. The plastics are still fair game for art and they could certainly be snuck in there somewhere. I'm open for any suggestions on this. I was considering putting Butterball and the female cenobite on the two right side pop bumpers. The left pop bumper will be visually blocked to some degree because the Functioning Puzzle box will surely block it when it extends upward.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from r0nin:

Agreed.
    But that aside, quite frankly, it looks incredible. The art style strikes me as a modern Marvel Comics, so if you were aiming for that, you nailed it. Very talented artist.
    Congratulations on your effort.

Thank you rOnin.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

Dare I say something about the 'I am into Pinball - Help me' line?
    Hmm. Yes I dare. You are looking for opinions, right?
    Let me start with: It's very funny. I mean, it reasonates with a lot of pinheads quite a lot. And when you spend this effort in making a high quality homebrew game like you're doing... well, again. Very fitting line.
    But here's the but. For me, I'm not sure if this type of humor fits the theme very well. The original line (and scene) from the second movie is quite powerful... What's your own opinion on this? Have you contemplated both options? The pinball version and the hell version that is? I'm curious!
    Again. Just my humble opinion, genuine interest and enthousiasm.

Still can't stop chuckling about the "yes i dare" comment, LOL. Of course, I'm here to interact with whomever wants to add something to the project, positively, negatively (to a certain degree of course) or indifferent. So, I'm pretty aware of how intense this theme is, more so the reason to take a deep breath and remember this is pinball, where throwing in a little humor, couldn't be a bad thing. I did in fact have the original text from the 2nd film in there but then remembered that when I started this project that I was seriously considering going a very different route, a humorous route in fact with silly callouts and puns etc. that would make the game a little more inviting and fun for different age groups and even those who have never even heard of the film.
    I'll never forget when I had a Freddy pinball how my little ones would cautiously walk right by it, they did not want to play this machine nor look at it. I expect this machine will have a similar effect on some. Anyway, I clearly chose the more serious route however I don't believe a little subtle humor could ever be a bad thing. Each of the characters are holding a Sphere (except for Chatterer) that is clearly a pinball. This is just another level in the Labyrinth where Kirsty, pinball and the cenobites meet.

2 months later
    #52 1 year ago

Hello Pinside, Does anyone know someone that laser cuts or water jets designs/text in Siderails? I remember someone that etches lockdown bars but for now I'd like to get the siderails cut through.

Siderail LEFT 2 HOLE Side READY  YOU OPENED IT WE CAME.pdfSiderail LEFT 2 HOLE Side READY YOU OPENED IT WE CAME.pdfSiderail Right side NO BG ONE HOLE No tear please its a waste.pdfSiderail Right side NO BG ONE HOLE No tear please its a waste.pdf
    #53 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Any updates to report?

HI Gjm so yes the latest is the playfield is at the printer Graphic Dimensions (Lonnie Mihin). when it returns, I will Be handling the clear-coating process myself (not a newbie, don't worry). once that's done and cured well enough, I'll do the playfield swap, that's always fun (Gottlieb flat head screws, ya know).

I created well over 100 WAV files quotes sound etc. that will be selected and used during gameplay. and the sound system is 90% done.
    I have a few ideas/options for background music for the game, but still open to some suggestions.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

Hellraiser by Ozzy or Motorhead would rock

Haha glad I got another vote on that, that a definite. I have edited a end of game little victory clip of Ozzy’s Hellraiser with the cenobite’s screaming when they are sent back.I’d like to share that with you guys. I’ll try today. It may need tweaking but it’s a start.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

I would send a private PM or phone call to Chris/ HEP, he might know where to turn to or try reaching out to Charlie at Spooky, explain your project to him. He has to know who cut the TNA side rails.

Thank you I will try reaching out to them.

#61 1 year ago

There will be different end game music for different game results, but this one one idea for when you successfully re-solve “The Box” here is the link fellas.

1 week later
    #64 1 year ago

Hope I don’t blow this, I’m embarking on brass etching for the first time so far so good. These etching are to be adhered to the 3D printed, slightly smaller than the movie used prop. I was very tempted to purchase one already made although it’s expensive I now know exactly why, but I couldn’t use the ones out there because when the box is transitioning from closed to open (then turns) the height is a little over 6 inches (because the box is 3” wide and high)and I wouldnt have the clearance under the glass the box would smash through it. So I had someone make me a box that is 2-3/4” so that at its full extension it’s only a little more than 5-1/2”

Keep in mind this is a re-theme of an 80’s Gottlieb so the original cabinet and playfield design only has 2” clearance which meant that I also had to modify the cabinet to look more like a Williams cabinet to accommodate enough depth for this Lament Configuration to do its thing. So the profile of the Hellraiser looks like a Williams now. I can share the transformation pictures of that if you guys care to see it.
    Here are some of the pics showing the prep work getting ready to etch brass.

1CD47CEE-000B-4831-95A3-359A2C49C802 (resized).jpeg1CD47CEE-000B-4831-95A3-359A2C49C802 (resized).jpeg40C253A8-31AA-4135-A3BF-8396B88AFC27 (resized).jpeg40C253A8-31AA-4135-A3BF-8396B88AFC27 (resized).jpeg42C8EF2F-0FEF-43E8-9461-4F9A5E472750 (resized).jpeg42C8EF2F-0FEF-43E8-9461-4F9A5E472750 (resized).jpeg69A2ECE2-3ECF-4873-B39B-C754D3CA2162 (resized).jpeg69A2ECE2-3ECF-4873-B39B-C754D3CA2162 (resized).jpeg7B5A82E1-2954-4061-BBAD-5F501C64F294 (resized).jpeg7B5A82E1-2954-4061-BBAD-5F501C64F294 (resized).jpeg7CC83A95-1ADA-4FBC-B171-80EFDFAC5145 (resized).jpeg7CC83A95-1ADA-4FBC-B171-80EFDFAC5145 (resized).jpegDCE18467-D21E-4386-A5F0-3726064592D4 (resized).jpegDCE18467-D21E-4386-A5F0-3726064592D4 (resized).jpeg
    #69 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can think of another possible option for the puzzlebox detailing.
    Take metallic sticker paper, print out the finer black detailing on it, and then cut it out either by hand or with a Silhouette Cameo, then stick onto the puzzle box.

Thank you Forcedlow this is certainly my backup plan, being this is a custom game I’m trying desperately to make it look as genuine as possible. Etching is a little tough at first but not throwing the towel just yet. Thanks again!

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

In the music department, I recommend "What's Your Pleasure?" by criminally overlooked progressive thrash band Wrathchild America. Tempo might be a little intense for non-metalheads, but the lyrics are full-on Hellraiser, including a Pinhead sample to start the song.

Thanks man I never heard this, pretty cool. There are a few riffs I could loop, Still leaning towards all the background music being instrumental only though. Thanks again

#71 1 year ago

Thanks Honch and Zablon, I also look forward to the final product. This “puzzle box” is probably the biggest pain but should have a pleasing result in the end. Mechs in general have their flaws but there has to be a working box in the game no matter how much trouble”it” gives me.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

"Yooooou caaaan doooo iiiit"- Rob Schneider

Thanks Matt, and to continue the phrase,(and it felt like this) “…all night long”

So little update on how the etching went.
    Let me start by saying the etching kit I bought from mircro-mark Definitely saved me a lot of legwork trying to figure out what to buy. I’m sure there are faster ways to do this. I definitely could’ve avoided multiple mistakes if I would’ve adhered a little closer to the instructions they provide. That being said I chose my first etching to be the least detailed side of the box and feel the 2nd or third try it looked pretty good. I learned that this is a very tedious process and have more respect for Simon Sayce (the artist who designed and made this puzzle box for the movie) as well as other artist that come up with this stuff.
    Here is a pic or two. You’ll notice on the right there is a point missing, I made a rookie mistake when preparing the art in photoshop. There cannot be any floating pieces because once the brass area it etched away the piece vanishes of there are two small. Thanks guys! If you are a professional etcher please contact me.
    5D4D1385-E548-4C27-A21D-138E79C25CC4 (resized).jpeg5D4D1385-E548-4C27-A21D-138E79C25CC4 (resized).jpeg5E6643E5-165F-4F08-ACBB-EFE60C9EEB8C (resized).jpeg5E6643E5-165F-4F08-ACBB-EFE60C9EEB8C (resized).jpeg699253B8-4C07-498D-91A4-3578CE141B1A (resized).jpeg699253B8-4C07-498D-91A4-3578CE141B1A (resized).jpegED174779-EE83-4774-BC5C-AF81D8D552FC (resized).jpegED174779-EE83-4774-BC5C-AF81D8D552FC (resized).jpeg

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

For me, this is one of the best threads I'm following.

Well thank you, the next month or so there should be some major advances in this project. Thanks again, looking forward to sharing.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

The talent on pinside never stops to impress me!

Thanks although I’ll take the compliment, I see these guys doing things I could never even fathom. I’d have to agree that there are some people with a lot of technical as well as creative talents. Thank you!

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

I think that when you start a game, the first words you hear are "What's your pleasure sir"[quoted image]

Definitely!! there will be a few different quotes when a game is started, and this is certainly one of them. It will immediately be followed by the LC music box music or overdubbed so both start at the same time. thanks for the input.

4 months later
    #81 1 year ago

Heys guys and gals, so at this time I’m anxiously awaiting the printing of the playfield to get finished, so I can Clearcoat it, let it cure and populate it. I’m hopeful I hope I get it back this week. But there are other aspects of the game happening simultaneously. So I’ll share some of the back box art in the works for now. The side art is yet to be started so please share your cool ideas and Let me know what you think so far in the comments. Thanks!
    The artist is Neil Fraser check out his alternate movie posters.
    https://www.neilfrasergraphics.com/

5810B129-CED0-49D9-901F-E7BE0963DA6D (resized).jpeg5810B129-CED0-49D9-901F-E7BE0963DA6D (resized).jpeg

AB67E973-FC60-4097-922F-8E42C224DADD (resized).jpegAB67E973-FC60-4097-922F-8E42C224DADD (resized).jpeg

#83 1 year ago

Thanks Eric!

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Maybe have the chains and hooks coming out of the top of the box heading for the girls face on the alternate poster above.

The back-box is pretty much done however
    I’ll mention that idea to Neil for the larger side of the cabinet which is just about to begin.

#87 1 year ago

That artwork is excellent.
    </blockquote
    Thank you!

1 week later
    #89 1 year ago

What’s up Pinside?! I’m thrilled to say the playfield printing has been completed.printed strait to wood as of March 11 and picked up today (March 12, Sunday) Lonnie Mihin (shown below) from Graphic Dimensions did an amazing job in aligning, preparing and printing. it’s time to clear this thing and let it fully cure. Then populate the playfield.

44F6B12A-DCA1-42B4-951A-928D4050084B (resized).jpeg44F6B12A-DCA1-42B4-951A-928D4050084B (resized).jpegBBC2D61F-320E-4372-BF48-4E7F1465C7DD (resized).jpegBBC2D61F-320E-4372-BF48-4E7F1465C7DD (resized).jpeg

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

This backbox art is just wonderful! Although I'd choose to make Pinhead on the backbox face the playfield. Then it's as if he oversees the playfield instead of him looking what's going on behind the game.

Interesting idea, the Backglass just may end up getting changed someday I’ll keep that idea in mind that sounds like a good one

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

Love the playfield. Excellent work. This could be a production game easily judged by the quality.

Thank you very much to Playfield definitely took a lot of time from designing having graphics, created and printing. But I also feel it came together nicely again thank you.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Nice playfield. Also nice killswitch shirt.

Thank you!

#98 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

WOW, looks awesome. Great idea for the chain/flame design for the ball lane.

Thank you, this chain in the shooter lane has been extended from its original drawing. Originally Brian (the illustrator) drew this from the template he was given by me that matched the D.D. Playfield then it was discovered that it should continue all the way to the shooter Rod, so I then extended it using Brian’s art, strangly enough I didn’t extend it quite far enough to meet the shooter Rod so then Lonnie (the gentlemen that printed the playfield) had to add a little last minute. The idea of the chain spewing into the playfield really goes to Brian Allen.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from r0nin:

Agreed.
    Congratulations man, it looks incredible! Looking forward to seeing the next steps!

Thank you, very much! Next stop auto body supplies for automotive clear coat.

#101 1 year ago
    Quoted from doghouse:

Badass. Look forward to playing this bad boy when complete!

Thank you, David. I’m shooting to have this done by FreePlay 2023. There’s still a lot of other aspects to go. Slowly, but surely.

2 weeks later
    #106 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaddyManD:

amazing work!!! Love the theme, art and design choices. Can’t wait to see it populated! We are lucky to have just commissioned Brian Allen to do the artwork on our Overwatch homebrew too! He starts end May!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/overwatch-homebrew-pinball

Thank you very much! In regards to working with Brian that will be a fun experience, at first I was overly reliant on Brian for filling in the blanks and realized that He's there to create your vision and a finished product so, i would gather as many details as possible. to give him to work with and specific placement for characters backgrounds etc. I would also consider the text locations as these could interfere or overlap his character art in the end and he'll have to move things around $$. Provide a good template and let him do his thing. Hoping only the best.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Fantastic artwork, and incredible that you find someone able to print it directly on your whitewood !
    What a result !

Thank you! there a few that print on wood that I know of, Lonnie (shown with playfield above) was able to overcome a few difficult issues with this playfield,
    For example being the playfield is over 40 years old, unpopulated and without wood rails there was a slight warp at the upper left side. So he was able to screw the playfield down to another piece of wood to provide a more flat surface to print onto. There were with other small imperfections but still managed to get it done, he even managed to print in the shooter lane groove with no distortion or art. Which was surprising to me.

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Please keep us up to date if it will be ready to play at Freeplay 2023. I will travel down to just play/see that pin and visit my son who attends college at The University of Tampa. Should I bring a wad of cash incase you can be bought on selling it? LOL.

Hey so thank you! I’m working on getting it there and I will keep you posted. Looking forward to seeing you there!

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Everything looks great so far. I’m looking forward to seeing it come together! And I love the Lament Configuration mech, super cool.

Thanks Mudflaps, you gotta having a working Lament Configuration for this theme. But what a ‘PAIN’. Last coat of clear went on tonight. One sand and buff process and ceramic coating. The curing time clock starts ticking.

2 months later
    #111 10 months ago

Hello Pinsiders, here the latest with HR or is it just H? Anyway, so the Plastics file is just about done except for coin entrance plates, I may just leave them red. they will be given to Lonnie this coming week. (the same person who printed the art onto the wood playfield)
    Here is where I'm at with this:

Playfield is clear-coated and populated.
    Labyrinth gate save has been added in right out-lane. (see pic) Getting a credit on a free-play game to complete special seemed moot, so now completing special will open the gate and divert the ball back into shooter lane.
    The Chatter Beast was installed. he hides under the playfield and rears his ugly head when it's time to lock a ball in the Chatterer's Lair. (Not fully complete)
    Plastics were reshaped from original plastics and some new art was implemented.
    The slingshots were finally redesigned, the original art Brian gave me was cool but I felt it took away from the playfield and after numerous ideas I chose to stick with the playfield art using the plaster/lath look with the light shining through. (see pic) There are 3 layers that will be spaced apart either 1/4 of an inch or 3/8, whichever helps the effect.

The cabinet art is just a coin door area away from completion done by Neil Fraser, looking forward to that applying the graphics to the cabinet.(Lonnie Printing again)
    Next on the list is having my Bro Matt Malone make these additions/changes integrated into the gameplay: Puzzle box, gate save etc.
    This is probably the first question i asked before starting this theme, Can you connect it to the game? it ended up being a dumb question, but he was on board. Thank you!
    P.S. If you have any last minute art ideas for the plastics please share, keep in mind that the top left (Pinhead's Domain) will have a Pinhead figure but there is still room there and everywhere for some add-ons. thank you folks!

Labyrinth gate save pic c (resized).pngLabyrinth gate save pic c (resized).pngPlastics pics for pinside (resized).jpgPlastics pics for pinside (resized).jpgchatter beast area a (resized).pngchatter beast area a (resized).pngplastic right sligshot 3 different angles (resized).jpgplastic right sligshot 3 different angles (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #116 10 months ago

Thank you for your support folks. My upcoming challenge that seems to be going good so far is getting Movie quotes and sounds properly allocated to existing switches. I've piggy backed some already which was quite simple. but then there are coils and other mechanical movements that don't have any switches that will require custom brackets and so forth.

#118 10 months ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Don’t forget the Lemmy and Ozzy version of Hellraiser song I mentioned.

You know it!

4 weeks later
    #121 9 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Do you plan on a plastic with Frank hung by the chains being pulled apart saying "Jesus Wept"
    [quoted image]

Hi Greg so the short answer is Frank is not included in the gameplay nor the art. The long answer is, I wanted this re-theme to be primarily about Kirsty and her fight to lock away what she accidentally unleashed (the cenobites). Mistakes are easy to make fixing them takes perseverance. Frank and Julia added to much complexity to the rules that I was limited to. If I were ever to create a fully custom game I could possibly involve those two, but this re-theme is more or less lighthearted compared to the film. let's face it skinless Frank isn't pleasurable to look and keeping the game somewhat approachable was another consideration. Another reason is When Brian Allen (the playfield illustrator) and I were crunching numbers, and even though we both wanted more characters, (Frank was mentioned) I realized there had to be some sort of budget and that's how we ended up without butterball and the Female Cenobite. The art around the pop bumpers was the last part of the playfield design and I was already over budget. Thank you Greg always a pleasure.

#122 9 months ago

Saw the game in person on Sunday, and WOW it's absolutely beautiful. The things in store for this are going to cause PAIN.
    Very nice work so far, Clint!

ha-ha. Yes Matt, I know there will plenty of P-A-I-N for you getting these trinkets to work with the game. And thanks, its getting there whatever there is. All I can do is pray this game isn't the Coup de Grace to our Friendship. I know there are some tricky actions to implement. Couldn't get it done without ya.

#124 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Brian slayed the art, it looks fantastic.

Thanks man! It was pretty cool to see the first time I saw these characters with Brian’s style of art.

2 months later
    #125 6 months ago

So it’s been pretty quiet for a few months, no one’s heard a peep. I’m trying to get this pin ready enough for FreePlay Florida, excluding the functioning puzzle box (it’s possible but not likely) and a surprise feature that will also not be ready in time. Hint: it has something to do with the title.
    Care to guess? Those few who know about it are excluded from this guessing game.

Here are a few pics of the side art illustrated by Neil Fraser (out of the UK) check him out NFG or neilfrasergraphics.com

The sideart and back art are presently being worked on.

Playfield plastics will be done in a few weeks. There is some crazy short problem messing with my MPU that will soon to be annihilated by my Bro’s coming to my rescue. I will be sure to share the reason for the Mayham the Playfield has been creating for me so as to help others with system 80 A problems.

54B046EF-D844-4ABD-9EFC-B1003542B2E0 (resized).jpeg54B046EF-D844-4ABD-9EFC-B1003542B2E0 (resized).jpeg713D6C2F-C3BC-4638-8866-55A1BC91EA66 (resized).jpeg713D6C2F-C3BC-4638-8866-55A1BC91EA66 (resized).jpeg7BFB3BA4-FF35-4D76-B99A-F5170FC32810 (resized).jpeg7BFB3BA4-FF35-4D76-B99A-F5170FC32810 (resized).jpegA423AA91-BB95-4C76-B7AB-F366FB0E2762 (resized).jpegA423AA91-BB95-4C76-B7AB-F366FB0E2762 (resized).jpegF97C0A60-1FBF-471F-9DCC-0237D3786214 (resized).jpegF97C0A60-1FBF-471F-9DCC-0237D3786214 (resized).jpeg

5A4CDB49-12A8-4075-AD39-3F943CF30C8D (resized).jpeg5A4CDB49-12A8-4075-AD39-3F943CF30C8D (resized).jpeg
    #129 6 months ago

Simply beautiful Clint!

Thank Big Matt, now if it would just work without raising hell. Straiten this little pain out for me bro. PLEASE!

#130 6 months ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

This looks amazing! Love the cabinet art. Will you be selling kits?

Hey Jappie, thank you. cabinet art is by neilfrasergrahics.com and you could buy a print of his original art from his site. that's how i discovered his cool style art. I was looking for alternate movie posters and found his site. I loved his version of Kirsty from the movies as shown on the cabinet, So he was asked to rearrange his already existing art for this project and very fairly took the project on. I also think he did a great job but sorry it's not mine to sell.

#131 6 months ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

The entire thing looks rad, but the cabinet and backglass in particular are incredible, could go toe to toe with today’s manufacturers. Can’t wait to try it at Free Play!

well thank you. really the artists are to thank. although my legs are tired. a lot of runnin'. We're working on getting the bugs out to be able to survive a freeplay show without fail, and some major mechs that are doubtful to be ready by November and some esthetics. but if it does make it and you see something generic, it just means it's not done yet. staying positive.

#134 6 months ago

Thanks Matt, we’ll done with Multi tier progressive testing skills. Always impressive to see executed. Now that it’s working I can get back to working on the other stuff.without potentially going nuts.

9CDC0B9C-388A-4762-8E41-2F202B6505F7 (resized).jpeg9CDC0B9C-388A-4762-8E41-2F202B6505F7 (resized).jpeg
    #135 6 months ago

Thank you leeoneil, the slings plastics shape did end up staying the same but they will be multi level, however I did change the lower left and right plastic a bit.
    As long as the ball hits the targets it doesn’t slam back too bad but if you hit the posts that can be unpredictable, for me at least. Thanks!

4 months later
    #136 52 days ago

Haven’t posted in a while, for those interested here’s what’s new.
    The plastics have arrived and are installed in the game , (great work once again by Lonnie Mihin, also printed the playfield on wood)
    The displays were changed from the original light blue ( which I still love ) to the Red, Big Matt encouraged me to change this and I think it looks great, especially with this theme. thank you Matt! Displays provided by Bostonpinballcompany.com.
    Here’s what I’m working on now:
    Installing WAV triggers so that all of the sounds from the movies are integrated into the gameplay. you can’t have a Hellraiser pinball without being taunted by Pinhead. my buddy Marcel Gonzalez has been helping me with this tremendously. thanks man!
    Art blades, they are 90% done some finishing touches needed and ready for print.
    Things to come: The lament configuration (the puzzle box) that is shown in the photo is only a prop. The transforming puzzle box mechanism has been installed in the game/playfield, (power supply, speed controls for the up-and-down mechanism, and the turn mechanism) but is not yet integrated into the gameplay. Big Matt is going to accomplish this using relays and “ a very particular set of skills”.
    There is a secret feature that I have mentioned before, that also needs to be integrated into the gameplay. Big Matt will take care of integrating this feature as well. I think it would be fun.

Any and all suggestions are welcome as this project nears completion. Thanks, everyone!
    2D4D1058-1775-42D9-8812-0FDEFA660359 (resized).jpeg2D4D1058-1775-42D9-8812-0FDEFA660359 (resized).jpeg379416D8-E253-4CB0-BB4E-8F13C659B356 (resized).jpeg379416D8-E253-4CB0-BB4E-8F13C659B356 (resized).jpeg72CFBD17-B871-4285-AADE-8DC43685B55E (resized).jpeg72CFBD17-B871-4285-AADE-8DC43685B55E (resized).jpeg7BAD2B0F-3C06-48CC-A537-9AEF71CF87BA (resized).jpeg7BAD2B0F-3C06-48CC-A537-9AEF71CF87BA (resized).jpeg8D11CCCD-6ABA-4783-9A88-7AD9DE062D65 (resized).jpeg8D11CCCD-6ABA-4783-9A88-7AD9DE062D65 (resized).jpeg9E0CCF38-A88A-4184-81B9-3E8A478202DC (resized).jpeg9E0CCF38-A88A-4184-81B9-3E8A478202DC (resized).jpegC253AAC4-C7A9-4D08-8F6A-1E49023FDCB8 (resized).jpegC253AAC4-C7A9-4D08-8F6A-1E49023FDCB8 (resized).jpegE422CBE0-6769-4BD1-B5C4-0F19B94A9D91 (resized).jpegE422CBE0-6769-4BD1-B5C4-0F19B94A9D91 (resized).jpegEBFBCB29-687A-4487-92A3-F13035389C5E (resized).jpegEBFBCB29-687A-4487-92A3-F13035389C5E (resized).jpegF1263FDD-058F-43B2-8A58-A13B913D721A (resized).jpegF1263FDD-058F-43B2-8A58-A13B913D721A (resized).jpeg

#147 50 days ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Absolutely beautiful. Hats off to you and everyone who has helped you achieve this build.

Thank you Greg I appreciate your support. I know you genuinely love this theme. Any input is well appreciated.

#148 50 days ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Superb result on the slingshot plastics, this "grid effect" is awesome !

Thanks leeoniel, there were quite a few other ideas for the slingshot plastics, but everything seemed to take away from the Playfield. there are three layers. The bottom is a blue translucent plastic.( Lonnie’s idea)
    The middle is the plaster slatted wall art that was used on the Playfield, and the top layer is clear except for the chains. I may shorten the distance between each layer 1/8 of an inch and put the chain plastic in the middle so you can see the chain through the slatted wall effect.

#149 50 days ago

Thank you very much !

#150 50 days ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

And fantastic lighting

Thank you!

#151 50 days ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

I love this so much, absolutely incredible!

Thank you, looking forward to getting the sounds working and maybe bringing it to some shows this year.

#152 50 days ago

Thanks Eric (-E-)!

#153 50 days ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

Looks amazing. Love the art. Also, this is a great novella if you've never read it!

Thank you!

1 week later
    #159 39 days ago

Thanks! I hope to get it out there at some shows this year.

#160 39 days ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I have to say, as a lifelong fan of stacked transparent plastics with small bits of art on them, I love those slingshots now!

Thank you, I wasn’t sure how this would turn out. Always good to hear an positive opinion.

#161 39 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

That is looking amazing! I love the puzzle box inserts. Great detail.
    If I could make one critique, the blue led pop bumpers look a bit out of place compared to the rest of the playfield to me. Are those how you want them or do you have different art/sculps planned for them? Thinking if you want the blue, you could make overlaying plastics between the 3 that are shaped like the lightening when the box is opened that flash.

Thank you, I always knew the center bank of Drop targets was going to be related to the puzzle box. These were designed very early.
    In regards to the pop bumpers there will, in fact be either figures or some type of sculpt from the movie, along with chains draping around it. The LEDs are basically going to be a chains glorifier and lighting upward. Thank you!

#162 39 days ago
    Quoted from lazySUNBATHER:

A M A Z I N G !!! Hats off to you Clint

I definitely appreciate the support. Thank you.

#163 39 days ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Incredible!!!

Thank you, JVSPin!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cj69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hellraiser-re-theme-of-a-dd-is-both-legendary-pain-amp-pleasure?tu=cj69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.