Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 163 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by cj69
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EBFBCB29-687A-4487-92A3-F13035389C5E (resized).jpeg
    72CFBD17-B871-4285-AADE-8DC43685B55E (resized).jpeg
    2D4D1058-1775-42D9-8812-0FDEFA660359 (resized).jpeg
    F1263FDD-058F-43B2-8A58-A13B913D721A (resized).jpeg
    379416D8-E253-4CB0-BB4E-8F13C659B356 (resized).jpeg
    9E0CCF38-A88A-4184-81B9-3E8A478202DC (resized).jpeg
    7BAD2B0F-3C06-48CC-A537-9AEF71CF87BA (resized).jpeg
    8D11CCCD-6ABA-4783-9A88-7AD9DE062D65 (resized).jpeg
    C253AAC4-C7A9-4D08-8F6A-1E49023FDCB8 (resized).jpeg
    E422CBE0-6769-4BD1-B5C4-0F19B94A9D91 (resized).jpeg
    9CDC0B9C-388A-4762-8E41-2F202B6505F7 (resized).jpeg
    114061 (resized).jpeg
    5A4CDB49-12A8-4075-AD39-3F943CF30C8D (resized).jpeg
    713D6C2F-C3BC-4638-8866-55A1BC91EA66 (resized).jpeg
    F97C0A60-1FBF-471F-9DCC-0237D3786214 (resized).jpeg
    54B046EF-D844-4ABD-9EFC-B1003542B2E0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 2 years ago

Hi Pinside, there are so many ideas of new pinball titles that our fellow pinball enthusiasts come up with on the forums and I've made my suggestions also. We all may hope to see a specific theme that we would like to see come into fruition someday, but come to the realization that it will probably never happen. So many of us either build our own from scratch, which is without a doubt an amazing accomplishment and something I cannot do or pick up an already existing machine that has a layout and rules that they can integrate their own theme to. This project I took on of converting a Devils Dare into a Hellraiser Pinball machine started well over a year ago and always knew it would be a system 80 game with a layout that I liked. The donor game DD wasn't in the best or worst shape when I got it just a players game at best. For me it was the perfect candidate to re-theme, If a game is in excellent condition it is my personal belief that a re-theme of such an example wouldn't be appropriate.
    Here are some of the New features that will be added to the original design by Tom Szafransky's already great game. If your familiar with the movie Hellraiser then you are well aware of the Lament Configuration aka known as the puzzle box or just the box. Having a functional transforming puzzle box was a must if I were to do this even close to right and for me with no robotics or mechanical experience took a bit of trial and error but I made it through and it will transform. The box will make one maneuver each time you complete a 5 drop target bank and lock a ball . Once you've completed the box then multi-ball will begin. the Characters I've chosen to be in the game are Pinhead, Chatterer, The Engineer and Kirsty. Kirsty is basically the player of the game and like the movie she "mistakenly" opens the box and is introduced to her new unfortunate friends, this will be relative to starting a game. Once the game begins the intimidation at every turn becomes kirsty's fight for survival and to undo opening the box by reversing the maneuvers and lock the cenobites back into the puzzle box. Completing drop target banks and spot targets get you the player closer to finding the cenobites protected secret algorithms that lock them away.
    At the ball lock saucer on the left there will be an up-kicker that sends the ball into a wire form habitrail that travels across the playfield and ends up on the right side in-lanes which will give the player control to get the ball in a position to rollover either in-lane to light up the spinner shot/ball 2 lock or prepare for two ball multi-ball . Originally it would take some nudging or chance to get the ball to rollover these in-lanes but i wanted it to become something to shoot for. There are a few other surprises I have but I'll save them for the near future to share.
    The original rules of this game are quite easy to understand but not necessarily easy to accomplish. I'm hoping it comes out to be a fun game , I've commissioned professional illustrator Brian Allen to do the playfield Art were almost done with that, I have expert pinball tech Matt Malone in my corner to integrate or connect the new features into the game. Looking forward to getting this done and sharing this project with you . thank you !!
    Hellrasier backbox translite poor quality (resized).jpgHellrasier backbox translite poor quality (resized).jpgpinball 2 (resized).pngpinball 2 (resized).pngpinball 3 (resized).pngpinball 3 (resized).pnghellraiser pinball rules idea (resized).jpghellraiser pinball rules idea (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

Perfect holloween post Clint! Can't wait for the art to get done so we can put our heads together on some custom changes!

#4 2 years ago

Love that you have the Engineer in there! Would love To See More photos. Goes without saying but please only use images of Doug

#5 2 years ago

Thank you metal-mods. Rdoyle1978 The Engineer was a must have because he’ actually chases Kirsty which is the feel I’m trying to accomplish in this game. The pics I put up are not the finish product. The Backglass will most likely be a real Backglass printed on the glass. The photo is a translite . But I’ll keep the pics coming.

#6 2 years ago

Yes Matt ! Once the Playfield is printed and populated it is going to be quite a project from there.I Couldn’t of taken this on without ya. Much advanced thanks .

#7 2 years ago

I love this idea. cj69 I may be able to help with some Hellraiser-like plastics... I have some black and gold laser-engravable acrylic, a laser, and vector art of the puzzle box to work from. Happy to contribute some stuff if it will help.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #8 2 years ago
    Quoted from horseflesh:

I love this idea. cj69 I may be able to help with some Hellraiser-like plastics... I have some black and gold laser-engravable acrylic, a laser, and vector art of the puzzle box to work from. Happy to contribute some stuff if it will help. [quoted image]

Hi and thank you ! So yes I would like to use this product to cover the apron. I was considering either using this or the same brass etching technique that I will use for the lament configuration (the puzzle box) but the apron is quite large and it would make more sense to use your product . please let me know what type of file you need so I create the template from scans. The apron is 24" wide by 8" . thanks again.

#9 2 years ago

Here is a short raw video of the puzzle box's 1st three maneuvers in action. The box is 2 3/4 inches (1/4 smaller than the screen used box) And had to be 3-D printed smaller so that when reached full elevation it would not exceed 6 inches or it could hit the glass. It is in two parts, one will remain stationary and the 2nd be the movable part that is connected to the motors (in this video it is literally just resting on the metal tubing. The box will be sanded smooth and brass etchings will be used in its place to replicate the screen used prop as close as possible. there is still work to be done on the mech, for example both motors will need an adjustable speed control so that it transforms at the same speed as the movie and be connected to the game using triggers and or relays. I'm always open for any suggestions or ideas to make a better game. thank you !

puzzle box 3D printed and elevating (resized).jpgpuzzle box 3D printed and elevating (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

Suuuuuuper rad.

#11 2 years ago

The puzzle box might be the coolest toy in a pin! Absolutely awesome!!

#12 2 years ago

Very cool - following

#13 2 years ago

Yep, you killed it with that mach!

#14 2 years ago

"We have such sights to show you"

This will be a fun game!

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from cj69:

please let me know what type of file you need so I create the template from scans. The apron is 24" wide by 8"

I'll PM you, no one will want to read the details.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

This will be a fun game!

"Ah, Kirsty, so eager to play, so reluctant to admit it"

#17 2 years ago

Hellraiser is my favorite horror movie of all time, can’t wait to see how this turns out!

#18 2 years ago

Thank you !

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

The puzzle box might be the coolest toy in a pin! Absolutely awesome!!

Thank you! I'll take the compliment, just hope it turns out worthy of such a comment. I'm hopeful that even non fans of the movie will be excited to see the transformation during gameplay. That "what is happening moment" is what I'm shooting for.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from metal-mods:

Yep, you killed it with that mach!

Thank you Metal-mods ! The first mech I made was a little long so I had to re-design it but initially had trouble trying fitting the mech under the playfield.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

This will be a fun game!

Quoted from gjm:

"Ah, Kirsty, so eager to play, so reluctant to admit it"

Thank you guys! Both of these quotes will be used in the game and thanks for the support, I hope so.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

Hellraiser is my favorite horror movie of all time, can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Thank you , Freeplay 2022 ? Ill keep going. maybe it'll show up there.

1 week later
    #23 2 years ago

Anyone have these books they want to sell?
    I promise not to: "Tear your soul apart"

Publication Order of Clive Barker's Hellraiser (2011) Books
    Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1 (2011) Hardcover Paperback
    Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 2 (2012) Hardcover Paperback
    Clive Barker’s Hellraiser Vol. 3 (2012) Hardcover Paperback
    Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 4 (2012) Hardcover Paperback
    Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 5 (2013) Hardcover Paperback

2 months later
    #24 2 years ago

Any updates on the project?

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Any updates on the project?

Hello gjm , yes there are quite a few things happening in regard to the playfield art. The Illustrator (Brian Allen) who was very excited to take this project on as a hellraiser movie fan, is presently now working on the background art for the playfield. The 4 characters (Pinhead, Chatterer, The Engineer and Kirsty are completed at this time so i'm leaving Brian to it and should be done within a few weeks.

The Art is going to be Printed directly to the wood playfield and most likely clear-coated by myself. when the time comes, I will post some video of that process. it should fall into the catagory of "such sights to show you".

If you or anyone has any suggestions or "must haves" in this re-theme please share, the only thing in stone at this point and quite unchangeable is the playfield art, BUT, I may be able to sneak something on the playfield last minute without driving Brian too Crazy. Tell me your thought. thanks again-Clint

#26 2 years ago

Dunno if the art package would accomodate this... but it seems like it might look sweet to touch up the printed playfield art with some gold paint where there are elements of the puzzle box. I've never seen a playfield that had special inks/paint/textures under the clearcoat. In my head, that could look amazing... the black and gold theme is just so iconic.

#27 2 years ago

Here is a another peek at the playfield art of The Chatterer. There is no background art yet but soon there will be.He will be located on the left side of the playfield at the area presently known as the captive cave and will now be referred to as the Chatterer’s Lair where we have a cutout on the playfield where a figure of the Chatter Beast will under the playfield and only visible when it’s time to lock a ball. Any suggestion for background ideas are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

B374E669-25F0-4E23-9542-412E9E809A71 (resized).jpegB374E669-25F0-4E23-9542-412E9E809A71 (resized).jpeg

#28 2 years ago

Very cool, following. See my avatar

#29 2 years ago

Yes! Awesome avatar. Before coming to my senses And hiring an illustrator, I was considering doing some of the art myself this was going to be the centerpiece on the playfield.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Very cool, following. See my avatar

Thank you!

#31 2 years ago

Nice! Following

5 months later
    #32 1 year ago

Hello people, it's been a short while since I've posted an update on the Hellraiser re-theme and I'm glad to say that the playfield art has been completed and the file is in my possession. I'd like to share a few pics with you guys to get your input. I know Brian (Allen) worked very hard to get this playfield as close to my description as humanly possible, (quite frankly i drove him a little nuts ) but I have one shot at the art before it gets printed on the playfield then clear coated. I'm very pleased with what he's done, what do you guys think? (Suggestions, must have's, etc.) keep in mind i still haven't selected insert colors, some borders may be missing and the plastics (shown in blue in one pic, stone in another) may be changed, looking for suggestions.

HellRaiser playfield small resolution (resized).jpgHellRaiser playfield small resolution (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Middle and center chatterer and engineer low res (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Middle and center chatterer and engineer low res (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Playfield lower picture of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield Playfield lower picture of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield full pic of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield full pic of monitor (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield top center pop bumper and kirsty small res (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield top center pop bumper and kirsty small res (resized).jpg

Hellraiser playfield lower left (resized).jpgHellraiser playfield lower left (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower center (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower center (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower right (resized).jpgHellraiser Playfield lower right (resized).jpg
    #33 1 year ago

Something seems off on pinhead head in center, very cool thou

9674393E-4A8A-4DB5-A033-D7DBED5EAB85 (resized).jpeg9674393E-4A8A-4DB5-A033-D7DBED5EAB85 (resized).jpeg

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Something seems off on pinhead head in center, very cool thou
    [quoted image]

Too much cheekbones, too much snarl on the upper lip, chin is too square, and the brow above the eyebrows should probably be knocked down a bit.

There aren't really any deep shadows on his head or face, and there aren't a lot of angular lines--pretty much all his features are rounded or sweeping curves.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Too much cheekbones, too much snarl on the upper lip, chin is too square, an the brow above the eyebrows should probably be knocked down a bit.
    There aren't really any deep shadows on his head or face, and there aren't a lot of angular lines--pretty much all his features are rounded or sweeping curves.

Agreed.
    But that aside, quite frankly, it looks incredible. The art style strikes me as a modern Marvel Comics, so if you were aiming for that, you nailed it. Very talented artist.
    Congratulations on your effort.

#36 1 year ago

Art looks fantastic!

#37 1 year ago

Oh wow, this will be amazing. Love the artwork style. Fresh and clean, but still in line with the original theme.

I always thought Hellraiser would make a great pinball theme, if only for the Pinhead - Pinhead connection. But I figured it was too much of a niche franchise. It's great to see this amazing homebrew being made!

I do agree on Pinhead's head. Some tweaks are welcome there to make him look more like his menacing self.

As a lover of the original movie, I kinda miss the female cenobite and Butterball. I realise they're not a character in your game, but maybe they deserve a small depiction? They're so intriguing and dramatic in the way they look: perfect for pinball art. Remenber, early 80s pinball art often goes much deeper than the game itself (Flash Gordon is a good example), so I'd say there's no shame if the art would show them without them being part of the storyline. I also miss Frank a bit, but to a lesser extent.

Again, this is just my opinion. The current design is already amazing as it is. Can't wait for your future updates. Thanks for updating us. And good luck with the build!

#38 1 year ago

Agree with comments about pinhead. Overall though it looks outstanding.

#40 1 year ago

Thank you folks for all your input on this, I appreciate your forthright input here, ( Jappie was especially polite) there is still some time for adjustments and tweaks that are going to be made for I am still working on some details before sending this out to print on the playfield (within the next 30 days). I'm glad to see some of our fellow fans still quite passionate about the classic film and its characters. Early on when i chose to have the art appear to have a comic art style appearance, I realized that the artist rendering may not emulate our favorite villains and the actors that portrayed them exactly. let's face it none of us could accept any other actor besides Doug Bradley for the roll of Pinhead-lead cenobite, the love for these classics run deep.
    The colors for the inserts have still not been chosen and many have suggested to use Clear on all of them and change the bulbs, and i may do that in some sections (drop target areas). There is the opportunity to use color matching inserts to help the player connect the dots so to speak by using the colors to determine where to shoot and what could be the result, so I'm open to suggestions on that. Thanks again!

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

Oh wow, this will be amazing. Love the artwork style. Fresh and clean, but still in line with the original theme.
    I always thought Hellraiser would make a great pinball theme, if only for the Pinhead - Pinhead connection. But I figured it was too much of a niche franchise. It's great to see this amazing homebrew being made!
    I do agree on Pinhead's head. Some tweaks are welcome there to make him look more like his menacing self.
    As a lover of the original movie, I kinda miss the female cenobite and Butterball. I realise they're not a character in your game, but maybe they deserve a small depiction? They're so intriguing and dramatic in the way they look: perfect for pinball art. Remenber, early 80s pinball art often goes much deeper than the game itself (Flash Gordon is a good example), so I'd say there's no shame if the art would show them without them being part of the storyline. I also miss Frank a bit, but to a lesser extent.
    Again, this is just my opinion. The current design is already amazing as it is. Can't wait for your future updates. Thanks for updating us. And good luck with the build!

Thank you Jappie, I agree it would be great to have that all the characters from the film, they all stopped me in my tracks for one reason or another. The few of the contributing factors were trying to keep the game rules a little less confusing along with the difficulty I had with integrating the theme to the game rules or the Doner game (Devil's Dare). The budget was also something to keep in mind because each character can add hours more of work and illustrator hours can add up quickly. The plastics are still fair game for art and they could certainly be snuck in there somewhere. I'm open for any suggestions on this. I was considering putting Butterball and the female cenobite on the two right side pop bumpers. The left pop bumper will be visually blocked to some degree because the Functioning Puzzle box will surely block it when it extends upward.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from r0nin:

Agreed.
    But that aside, quite frankly, it looks incredible. The art style strikes me as a modern Marvel Comics, so if you were aiming for that, you nailed it. Very talented artist.
    Congratulations on your effort.

Thank you rOnin.

#43 1 year ago

I do think design by committee usually results in something subpar. Trust the artist. You chose him because you like his work. Let him do his thing!

#44 1 year ago

Dare I say something about the 'I am into Pinball - Help me' line?

Hmm. Yes I dare. You are looking for opinions, right?

Let me start with: It's very funny. I mean, it reasonates with a lot of pinheads quite a lot. And when you spend this effort in making a high quality homebrew game like you're doing... well, again. Very fitting line.

But, here's the but. For me, I'm not sure if this type of humor fits the theme very well. The original line (and scene) from the second movie is quite powerful... What's your own opinion on this? Have you contemplated both options? The pinball version and the hell version that is? I'm curious!

Again. Just my humble opinion, genuine interest and enthousiasm.

#45 1 year ago
    084c7e61ffd6f61cee60d226d9d8045e.jpg084c7e61ffd6f61cee60d226d9d8045e.jpg
    #46 1 year ago

Aahhh Kirsty, so eager to play, so reluctant to admit it.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jappie:

Dare I say something about the 'I am into Pinball - Help me' line?
    Hmm. Yes I dare. You are looking for opinions, right?
    Let me start with: It's very funny. I mean, it reasonates with a lot of pinheads quite a lot. And when you spend this effort in making a high quality homebrew game like you're doing... well, again. Very fitting line.
    But here's the but. For me, I'm not sure if this type of humor fits the theme very well. The original line (and scene) from the second movie is quite powerful... What's your own opinion on this? Have you contemplated both options? The pinball version and the hell version that is? I'm curious!
    Again. Just my humble opinion, genuine interest and enthousiasm.

Still can't stop chuckling about the "yes i dare" comment, LOL. Of course, I'm here to interact with whomever wants to add something to the project, positively, negatively (to a certain degree of course) or indifferent. So, I'm pretty aware of how intense this theme is, more so the reason to take a deep breath and remember this is pinball, where throwing in a little humor, couldn't be a bad thing. I did in fact have the original text from the 2nd film in there but then remembered that when I started this project that I was seriously considering going a very different route, a humorous route in fact with silly callouts and puns etc. that would make the game a little more inviting and fun for different age groups and even those who have never even heard of the film.
    I'll never forget when I had a Freddy pinball how my little ones would cautiously walk right by it, they did not want to play this machine nor look at it. I expect this machine will have a similar effect on some. Anyway, I clearly chose the more serious route however I don't believe a little subtle humor could ever be a bad thing. Each of the characters are holding a Sphere (except for Chatterer) that is clearly a pinball. This is just another level in the Labyrinth where Kirsty, pinball and the cenobites meet.

#48 1 year ago

"The box, you opened it, we came"

#49 1 year ago

Maybe one of the playfield plastics can have the bloody mattress and chains on it....??

#50 1 year ago

I think the art looks sick as-is. SEND IT!

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hellraiser-re-theme-of-a-dd-is-both-legendary-pain-amp-pleasure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.