image.jpg
image-480.jpg
image-699.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I was recently given this neglected Miss Annabelle which spent the last 40 years in family game room out of the sun but never got any service. After 4 hours sorting out some issues and removing duct tape from the gobble hole I have managed to bring her back to life now its onto full restoration. Figured I'd share a few pix.

image.jpgimage.jpg

A little dirty!

image-49.jpgimage-49.jpg

But a quick once over, a few bulbs and she is beautiful!

image-977.jpgimage-977.jpg

Maybe all the grime protected that playfield

image-658.jpgimage-658.jpg

Nice color for a 55 year old lady!

image-511.jpgimage-511.jpg

The backglass is broken but mostly intact.

image-637.jpgimage-637.jpg

Any suggestions how to flatten out 55 year old plastic?

#2 9 years ago

Great find! I love Miss Annabelle. I've had my eye on a local one for years but the owner wants solid gold for it.

Now, how to flatten 55 year old plastic? I don't believe you can. I've experimented with pieces and they're just made differently than the 70s and newer stuff you can flatten in an oven or between sheets of glass on a hot day. I end up re-making all my old plastics that are curled.

Quick tip, photograph or carefully scan any plastics that have curled and you want to repair before they get worse. I've had plastics just shatter or splinter like slate in games due to subtle temp changes. The worst was a game I brought out of 50+ years in a dark basement. One week in our gameroom and the plastics were destroyed.

Cheers,
Art.

#3 9 years ago

Nice find, congrats !

#4 9 years ago

Yeah I am a bit skeptical about trying to flatten out that plastic, I can buy a new one fairly cheap and I may go that route instead. I'm more concerned about getting a couple of the bumber caps that are broken in this machine. Oh here's one more photo I forgot to post, I'm sure we all have run across this.....

image-842.jpgimage-842.jpg

I was wondering what happened to all the paper on every single coil!

#5 9 years ago

Looks like it's cleaning up real nice.

Enjoy!

Ken

#6 9 years ago

Miss Annabelle is great old machine. The plastics and BG have avaliable reproductions. Mine had the fan and girl warped the same as yours, there was no way for it to be saved. I went with the repo. A great pin to play but I've had mine for sale for a long time with no bites.

http://www.pinballrescue.net

#7 9 years ago

@ JBK any suggestions on a good source for backglass repro?

Never mind you included a link. Thanks!

#8 9 years ago

http://www.pbresource.com/special.html

Scroll Down through the Back Glasses. I think steve said he has one left $295.

#9 9 years ago

second pinball rescue..not only do they have the plastics..they also sell thr background scenery with the woman and the animation wheel..

best repro plastics on the market imo

#10 9 years ago

Looks like the mice liked Annabelle too! I had a machine where the mice cleaned off all the paper on the coils but left the wire part alone! Luckliy I still worked!

JBK....good find! Wonder if the one Steve has is original or a repo?

#11 9 years ago

I would like to get one of these machines someday. My daughter's name is also Annabelle and I have a new glass hanging on the wall in her room. Would be cool to have the machine too.

#12 9 years ago

Nice score. Looks like a fun project for sure

--Jeff

#13 9 years ago

Congrats on your find.

One of the neatest backglasses out there.

#14 9 years ago

I remember him telling me it was a repo. I was looking as my Annabelle has a soild BG but is peeling BAD! The price is a little high for me. Miss Annabelle is not a keeper for me and I haven't been able to sell it, So $300+ for a BG is not in the cards.Miss Annabelle Backglass.JPGMiss Annabelle Backglass.JPG

#15 9 years ago

I scraped all the old scotch tape off the backglass today, it turns out that somebody in the past not only taped the front of the glass but the backside to and they sealed the backglass as well, they went to great detail to mask off the transparent parts so I'm going to leave it as is. I don't think I can justify $300 for a backglass at this point as this will be a keeper/player machine and its easy to look past the cracks. I hand sanded all the bare wood today, installed the rubber kit that arrived in the mail, got all three bells working and fixed the match circuit. I'm having a lot of fun working on this machine, they sure knew how to build them back in the day and she plays really good now.

Note: I used razor blade to scrape down the duct tape residue on the play field and used a small amount of clear camp fuel on a rag to remove the rest from the playfield and it worked like a champ! I was a little worried that it was not going to come off.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 9 years ago

It is good to see it working. I guess the animated backglass is skill related.

#17 9 years ago

Hi 72Devilz that looks like a perfect project machine. I'm glad to see it landed in the right hands. Please keep us posted in the progress with lots -O- pics!

#18 9 years ago

First Gottlieb with score reels. The gobble hole moves the fan, this feature is a carry over bonus from game to game.

#19 9 years ago

One of the best wood rails every made.

1 week later
#20 9 years ago

Progress is moving right along and Miss Annabelle shines up real nice! I have started a new thread as I am looking for pictures of labels inside this machine as the mice made off with all the labels in this one, the thread is here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-shout-out-to-miss-annabelle-owners

Here is my progress thus far.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 9 years ago

I played one of these recently that was lovingly restored. It's an unsung woodrail; one of the later ones. The knock on it (no pun intended) is that it has no "specials", but nonetheless I think it's a lot of fun and gorgeous as well.

#23 9 years ago

I put up some of the requested pictures in the above mentioned thread.

#24 9 years ago

I filled in the divots around the gobble hole last night and started touch up today, of all the items on my punch list this one was the one that bugged me the most..... Why must people put duct tape on playfields I'm not quite sure why the flower in the top left doesn't have an outline like all the others and it just looked out of place to me so I added the outline while touching up the gobble hole.

Divots filled

image.jpgimage.jpg

Touch up first stage

image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 9 years ago

Here's a few cringe worthy pictures of the flattening of the Miss Annabelle window plastic. After a good 15 to 20 minutes of slow heating with a hairdryer the plastic was pliable enough to flatten out between two pieces of heated glass. 15 minutes later once everything cooled the plastic was flat enough for my liking, I didn't want to push my luck any further with 55 year old plastic so I'll call this good.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image-699.jpgimage-699.jpg

image-480.jpgimage-480.jpg

#26 9 years ago

You're inspiring me 72Devilz. Picked up this title a few months ago and it's in my project cue. Playfield is nice, but BG has lost almost all its blues. Will decide after bringing it back to life if a new repro BG is justified. Mine didn't have legs. What does yours have? Wood or metal?

Steve

#27 9 years ago

Mine has metal legs and they are red, not sure that red was the color from the factory as I'm seeing white on all the pictures I pull up on the net. The next big restore will be the cabinet artwork, not sure I'm quite ready for that yet so looks like I'll get the door hardware and cigarette holder chromed first. I look forward to your restoration thread when you get going Steve!

#28 9 years ago

Mine had standard Gottlieb metal legs. I sandblasted them and found only one layer of paint. As long as they were the original legs they were standard charcoal grey/black. As best I can figure I am the second owner of my Annabelle. It spent its life in a bowling alley. When it stopped earning the owner took it home for his kids to play. It spent forty plus years in a garage until I bought it from children of the original owner.

#29 9 years ago

Miss Annabelle should have 31" metal legs that are cream/ivory in color (same color as the coin door and bottom playfield tray).

#30 9 years ago

Hi 72!
If it were mine I'd make some attempts at an Annabelle replacement. First I'd scan her and fix the image on the computer, print and mount on some spare plastic and see how it looked. If it wasn't satisfactory then I'd opt for a professional printer and be sure to keep the original warped Annabelle stored with the machine. (Along side the schematic etc)
Not sure if that would work, just an idea.

#31 9 years ago

If the image fits on 8.5" x 11" size paper, then a waterslide decal onto a piece of plexi might work.

#32 9 years ago

One thing I did on mine (and any game with a root-target behind the back glass like Sunshine or Queen of Diamonds) is to take few washers and use them to shim the unit so it sits about 3/8 of an inch farther away from the back glass.

That way any warp in the plastic doesn't drag against the glass and ruin it by making a scratch. If you study it, most of the Miss Annabelle's have a pretty good gouge where the fan has been dragging against the back glass. You can't tell it's been shimmed, at least I can't.

#33 9 years ago

Sanded the old red paint and repainted the legs the correct color yesterday, now the cabinet is begging for some attention. I always put off the hardest till last, the sides don't look half bad but the front is missing most of the paint.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 9 years ago

Lots of progress today. I got the coin door sanded and painted as well as sanding all the rust off and polishing all the metal hardware. I also experimented making a replacement Annabelle window transparency using a vectorized version of Annabelle and printing on velum and bond paper then fixing both together. Only scrap carpet was harmed in processes pictured below.

Door bolt before
image.jpgimage.jpg

Door bolt after 40 seconds of drill and 220 grit sandpaper
image-948.jpgimage-948.jpg

Cabinet protectors before and after sanding prior to tumbling
image-257.jpgimage-257.jpg

Coin door repainted and hardware reattached.
image-637.jpgimage-637.jpg

Cabinet protectors tumbled, re sanded and attached
image-9.jpgimage-9.jpg

Annabelle replacement transparency fan closed and open
image-100.jpgimage-100.jpgimage-49.jpgimage-49.jpg

#35 9 years ago

Great work 72! I love reading threads with photos of restores that guys do to bring old pins back to life. Keep up the good work.

#37 9 years ago

Looks great!
If you feel inclined, a good buffing with #0000 steel wool can make stainless steel really shine.

#38 9 years ago

Well she passed the test and made her way out of the garage and into her new home next to her younger Gottlieb brothers.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 9 years ago

Your game is coming along nicely!

#40 9 years ago

Yikes! I thought you were referring to this:

image.jpgimage.jpg
#41 9 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

Yikes! I thought you were referring to this:

image.jpg 18 KB

I don't get the reference but I'd so hang that doll in my game room, she's the stuff nightmares are made of!

#42 9 years ago

This article explains it:

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2013/10/annabelle-the-true-story-of-a-demonic-doll/

It's also referenced in the movie The Conjuring

Your game looks awesome, btw

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hello-miss-annabelle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.