2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dooskie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC03071 (resized).JPG
    post (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

(Mods, feel free to move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum if this is posted in the wrong place. I am still having trouble figuring out how to navigate these forums correctly, so I apologize in advance.)

I've been looking for a good forum to discuss and learn anything and everything about pinball for a while now. I've come to the conclusion that this is by far the most active, helpful, and genuinely friendly forum on the internet; pertaining to pinball. And so about an hour ago, instead of ghosting around as a guest, I finally made an account.

A little about myself: I am twenty-five years old. I've been an avid fan of video-games for my entire life. That's how it started. I own just about every system ever made. Multiples of some, not that it matters. Anyhow, as I've gotten older I began to collect older systems. SEGA, ATARI, Nintendo, Sony, Reyarch ~.What started as an obsession with graphics and building PCs, modding hardware, etc. turned into an obsession with old school arcade cabinets; which subsequently lead to pinball.

About a year ago my girlfriend left me, and then I lost my job. So I started hanging out at a pizza shop that had a little mini-arcade in the back. And I randomly dropped a quarter into an old Williams machine. It was F-14 Tomcat, and I fell in love. After spending twenty two dollars in quarters, I finally had my first high score. #1 baby. That was the beginning of a wonderful and subsequently terrible obsession with pinball. But I am still very new to this. Many of you have been playing for scores of years. I am a baby when it comes to pinball, which is why I am glad to be here.

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to be an active member on this forum. Please be patient with me, I may ask stupid obvious questions, but anything helps. I am thoroughly convinced pinball is one of the weirdest, greatest things on planet earth. I intend to be the best. I have high scores on machines all over my city at the moment. But I am looking into going to tournaments soon. I just need to read and read and practice extensively.

Anyway, thanks for having me!

Cheers,

-ks

#2 2 years ago

Clench up your butthole, post-haste. There's a dark underbelly to the "nice" here, and you'll find quick enough. =P

#3 2 years ago

No job and no girlfriend?

You are perfect for this place! Welcome!

Cool that you found an old F-14 on location. When you get some scratch together you'll be happy to find that's a cheaper game to own and very common.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No job and no girlfriend?

That didn't take long.

And yeah, I snagged a F-14 out of a barber shop for 400 once. Wasn't a beatuy queen, but it did end up playing real nice.

#5 2 years ago

Welcome aboard!

#6 2 years ago

Welcome to pinside!

#7 2 years ago

Soon you'll forget about arcade games in no time. Welcome to the club!

#8 2 years ago

See you there in two weeks... http://wp.freeplayflorida.com/

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kinetik-Systems:

My girlfriend left me and then I lost my job.

Pretty much the basis for every country western song ever written.

Welcome to Pinside!

#10 2 years ago

Welcome to pinside, watch out for the Market after you buy one pin you won't be able to stop.

#12 2 years ago

Welcome!

Also, MM is not worth $14,000

#14 2 years ago

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask
    Pinside is a great place to learn, help is never far away

#15 2 years ago

Pinside - Came here for learning, stuck around for the drama

#16 2 years ago

Welcome. We were all 100% noobs at one point. Except Lloyd. Lloyd's baby crib was a Gottleib Alice in Wonderland cabinet.

#17 2 years ago

Welcome to Pinside

Mike

#18 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Glad to be here

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Clench up your butthole, post-haste

Eloquently stated

Welcome to Pinside

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

This.

Of all the message boards I have browsed and still browse, this one has *THE BEST* drama.

Pinball machines are exactly like cars, for arguments sake.

#21 2 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!!

#22 2 years ago

Welcome my friend to the wonderful world of pinball !

LTG : )

#23 2 years ago

I don't buy it. Probably a kaneda alias.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Welcome!
    Also, MM is not worth $14,000

Dooskie, are you literally going to downvote everything I post? It's like 3 in a row now. How's your King Kong coming along?

#25 2 years ago

Welcome

#26 2 years ago

Oh, where to begin?
    Welcome! It's really great hobby and Pinside is certainly a fun part of it. As someone who is relatively new to the hobby and Pinside myself here a few things I have learned over the last couple of years that might be helpful:

(1) It's addictive. Particularly the drama threads. They're like watching a snake eat a goat: excruciating, but you can't stop watching.
    (2) The hobby is bigger than Pinside and Pinside is bigger than the people you see posting all the time.
    (3) How good a game is is VERY subjective.
    (4) The prices are too high.
    (5) People will keep paying these prices anyway.
    (6) Your opinion is empirically wrong to everyone and everyone has selected one individual to inform you that over and over again on this forum.
    (7) Even though it may not make logical sense, repeating your opinion over and over again ABSOLUTELY WILL make it more valid, regardless of what other people on the forum have to say.
    (8) Stern sucks.
    (9) Stern is awesome.
    (10) JJP sucks.
    (11) JJP is awesome.
    (12) You are probably Kaneda.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Dooskie, are you literally going to downvote everything I post? It's like 3 in a row now. How's your King Kong coming along?

Lay off the Dooks! He's a Stars owner!

(allegedly)

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(allegedly)

Me too! I bought it at an estate sale for $75. It's with my electrician now getting serviced and restored. Don't ask for pictures, though, because I'll get mad.

#29 2 years ago

Another one of 'Dooskie's Doozies'. He sends crude pms too, so there's that.

Oh, and welcome to Pinside!

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Oh, where to begin?
    Welcome! It's really great hobby and Pinside is certainly a fun part of it. As someone who is relatively new to the hobby and Pinside myself here a few things I have learned over the last couple of years that might be helpful:
    (1) It's addictive. Particularly the drama threads. They're like watching a snake eat a goat: excruciating, but you can't stop watching.
    (2) The hobby is bigger than Pinside and Pinside is bigger than the people you see posting all the time.
    (3) How good a game is is VERY subjective.
    (4) The prices are too high.
    (5) People will keep paying these prices anyway.
    (6) Your opinion is empirically wrong to everyone and everyone has selected one individual to inform you that over and over again on this forum.
    (7) Even though it may not make logical sense, repeating your opinion over and over again ABSOLUTELY WILL make it more valid, regardless of what other people on the forum have to say.
    (8) Stern sucks.
    (9) Stern is awesome.
    (10) JJP sucks.
    (11) JJP is awesome.
    (12) You are probably Kaneda.

Haha I don't know who Kaneda is, but I'm fairly certain I am not him. At least I think I'm not. Thanks for the advice! Every forum I've ever been on is addictive due to drama. Everyone just slams one person constantly, and then members become really defensive. I love when that happens. Don't worry, I can handle a forum like this. I already like it here; I'm fairly certain I'll fit right in.

#31 2 years ago

Welcome to pinside. It's a great community full of helpful people. I would never have lasted in the hobby without the people here.

#32 2 years ago

Welcome to Pinside. Pinball is good fun!!!

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Another one of 'Dooskie's Doozies'. He sends crude pms too, so there's that.
    Oh, and welcome to Pinside!

It wasn't a crude PM. I told you to grow up.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from mesmashu:

I don't buy it. Probably a kaneda alias.

Nailed it.....

#36 2 years ago

run away now while you still can...

#38 2 years ago

I've been looking for a good forum to discuss and learn anything and everything about pinball for a while now.

Given your location, I would also look here:
    http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html

#39 2 years ago

Anybody want to bet this thread goes off the rail and gets locked? LMAO Welcome aboard!

#40 2 years ago

Haha I don't know who Kaneda is, but I'm fairly certain I am not him. At least I think I'm not.

We already know your not just by the style of your writing. Welcome, hope you got plenty of room and a strong back.

#41 2 years ago

AND, where else can you get drama on a "hi, I new post" except here. Personally I have never had drama here. It's what you make of it. Don't give drama and you won't get any.

#42 2 years ago

Welcome! I too am kinda new to pinball. I hadn't seen a pinball machine since I was about 20 years old until 17 months ago when I ran across an F-14 Tomcat and was able to buy it. That was my first pin ever and I have been hooked ever since.

#43 2 years ago

Hi, I am also a new post.
    And new for pinball, it is so interesting to see so many discussion about this

#44 2 years ago

welcome!
    tons of great info and people here!

and now and then some paranoia and drama

have fun!

#45 2 years ago

post (resized).png

#46 2 years ago

Hi New Here! Welcome

#47 2 years ago

Welcome.

If you're truly wanting to compete in tournaments I'd suggest playing the pinball arcade app. It has lots of real games so that you can learn rules to maximize scoring, the physics are off but its a help. Also YouTube has tons of gameplay videos. They're great resources for new players to learn the style of game that you like. Once you find the right game hold off on buying it....they multiply and can easily take over your home.

There's so much useful information here, just look around at some of the old threads, you'll be amazed what you'll learn.

Over the last decade I've went from building MAME arcades to repairing old pins to finally buying a new in box game. The hobby is quite addictive.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

No lack of that...

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(allegedly)

I've had it for a little over a week now. This can be a brutal machine.

DSC03071 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,500.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 19.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside