(Topic ID: 7848)

Hello everyone, first post and in search of first pin.

By Chinchilla

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Hi everyone my name is Frank and I found the Pinside just over a month ago and I really love the site and how helpful the members advice is by reading the forums. A little bit about how I got into pinball was when I was about 11 years old at a local arcade; I saw and played Black Knight for the first time and knew instantly I was hooked on it. Over the years I have dropped quarters in various machines whenever I had an opportunity to play, about 5 years ago I started seriously considering owning pins for myself and wish I had money at the time because prices were considerably lower. In the future I want to have 20+ pins for myself and all to enjoy, but right now I can only have room for 1 or 2 until I have my own house. Thanks to the Pinside I was able to visit a place called the Silverball Museum in New Jersey and have been visiting quite frequently which also made me make up my mind on which machine I would like to own first after playing roughly 30 games on it.
    The first Pin I would like to own is a 1980 bally's "Xenon". My only hope is it has both the sound cards with a decent trans lite and playfield, I wouldn't mind rebuilding the machine from the ground up because I know it would be one that I will not part with in the future. I'm a bit weary to search now for a Pin because this is the holiday season and I was going to wait until after it's done but after reading many posts one thing kept showing up and that is whenever you're after a particular machine it disappears off the face of the earth or when it show up its triple the price. I'm prepared with a second choice and that is a 1992 Bally's "Black Rose" but that is at the max of my budget I feel for right now. I hope my wall of text is not too bad on your eyes and would like to add that I feel that an introduction topic would help the site. Thanks

#2 12 years ago

welcome! Ya Pin's are addictive when you buy them. My first pin I didn't even know existed, it isnt my favorite. But I got it to get me started and knowing I could sell it in the future and not miss it...that much. I haven't played Xenon I dont think, or Blackrose but I hear BR is good. I like the DMD games myself, but it seems the 80's pins are growing on me.....

When looking for a pin. It seems when you find a deal on one of the ones you want, that is the time to jump on it. If you are looking for that ONE machine, and want a deal, be prepared to wait.

#3 12 years ago

Hi northvibe, your advice makes a lot of sense and I was curious does the condition of a pin affects the price people sell it for? or that if it works or not?

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

nd played Black Knight for the first time and knew instantly I was hooked on it

The first pin I got was a BK. In fact, after looking for quite some time for a nice collector example, I decided to look over at the pinball owners database (http://www.pinballowners.com/). However, others are more easily found in the wild. Xenon does seem to be one that shows up in various places and in various conditions, so it may not be too difficult to find one. The real question is going to be the condition you're willing to accept - and more prioritizing and compromising on what needs to be OK vs what you can/want to work yourself vs whats available. The more narrow your requirements, the longer you can expect to look.

welcome to pinside

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

Hi everyone my name is Frank and I found the Pinside just over a month ago and I really love the site and how helpful the members advice is by reading the forums. A little bit about how I got into pinball was when I was about 11 years old at a local arcade; I saw and played Black Knight for the first time and knew instantly I was hooked on it. Over the years I have dropped quarters in various machines whenever I had an opportunity to play, about 5 years ago I started seriously considering owning pins for myself and wish I had money at the time because prices were considerably lower. In the future I want to have 20+ pins for myself and all to enjoy, but right now I can only have room for 1 or 2 until I have my own house. Thanks to the Pinside I was able to visit a place called the Silverball Museum in New Jersey and have been visiting quite frequently which also made me make up my mind on which machine I would like to own first after playing roughly 30 games on it.
    The first Pin I would like to own is a 1980 bally's "Xenon". My only hope is it has both the sound cards with a decent trans lite and playfield, I wouldn't mind rebuilding the machine from the ground up because I know it would be one that I will not part with in the future. I'm a bit weary to search now for a Pin because this is the holiday season and I was going to wait until after it's done but after reading many posts one thing kept showing up and that is whenever you're after a particular machine it disappears off the face of the earth or when it show up its triple the price. I'm prepared with a second choice and that is a 1992 Bally's "Black Rose" but that is at the max of my budget I feel for right now. I hope my wall of text is not too bad on your eyes and would like to add that I feel that an introduction topic would help the site. Thanks

Welcome to Pinside,Prices are on the rise but you do find good prices on Pins
    from time to time.The best thing to do right now would be to find some member
    or members who are close to you and see if they have any games for sale.Check
    CL and Ebay on a daily basis and deals can be worked out if your close to the seller
    and meet in person.

#6 12 years ago

Welcome chinchilla! I would say that patience will be you best virtue. Like pinmike said, check craigslist constantly. There are apps you can get for your cell phone that will alert you anytime a pin is posted in your area. Ebay will be more pricey, but checking craigslist constantly will yield good finds as long as you can wait. Also check out Mr pinball which has classified ads as well, but these are typically other collectors. heres the site:

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/classified/data/machines_for_sale.html

good luck!

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Ebay will be more pricey,

That's right Ebay will be higher but if the seller is in your area you can
    contact him and work out a deal off of Ebay at a cheaper price.Most
    sellers would rather sell locally and not have to go through the Ebay
    process fees,Some just use Ebay as a advertising tool and make sales
    on the side.

#8 12 years ago

Hello wizzardz, that's a good sign they are popping up, and I don't think I mind condition but the only thing that I'm afraid of is the artwork on the playfield really. Hi pinmike do you know any pinsiders near the New York City area? I'm technically New Jersey too and feel that I could cover the surrounding states too. Hey practicalsteve I agree that waiting will be the best thing but I'm hoping that other members might have one for sale or even spot one if they aren't searching for one themselves. Do you think the guy that is selling that one "Xenon" really wants $4,500 pinmike? Is there some people on ebay that you guys know I should avoid and are way overpriced? Also thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

Hi pinmike do you know any pinsiders near the New York City area? I'm technically New Jersey too and feel that I could cover the surrounding states too

There are members here near you,Have you tried the Pinsider map?
    Edit-Yes there's plenty,Just click on the Community on top of the page
    and select Map then narrow down on your state.

Quoted from Chinchilla:

Do you think the guy that is selling that one "Xenon" really wants $4,500 pinmike?

Oh No!! That's way too high and that guy has been talked about recently
    on RGP,I don't think anyone wants to deal with him and his bad attitude.I am
    really surprised that's the only Xenon around on Ebay,I know one or a couple
    will pop up sometime soon...Just keep your eyes peeled

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

I'm hoping that other members might have one for sale

This is where pinball owners registry will help. It will list those who have specifically mentioned they have one, and if they are willing to sell. If you're looking for a specific title, this is certainly a first pass.

Otherwise, I use http://www.searchtempest.com to do a CL radius search a few times a day. Your neck of the woods should have a decent market for pins - certainly better than here in the south.

I also use the Boston Pinball eBay sales data (http://www.bostonpinball.biz) for general idea as to price range

#11 12 years ago

Yes Pinmike but I'm not sure if they just want someone they do not know first, contacting them?, and I'm brand new here. I figured that was extremely high and thought maybe it came with solid gold pinball's I'm glad I know now, and what is the RGP?

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

and what is the RGP?

RGP=rec.gamespinball is another site and has been around for
    a long time,You might want to sign up there also and put up
    a want to buy thread looking for a Xenon in your area.

#13 12 years ago

I see wizzardz I will definately go through the pinball owners registry list then. I haven't used search tempest before too, now I know. I did look through a pinball price book from 2009 was that too outdated now?

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

RGP=rec.gamespinball is another site and has been around for
    a long time,You might want to sign up there also and put up
    a want to buy thread looking for a Xenon in your area.

Is that the google group pinmike?
    I'm also curious what you guys think of acquiring parts before you have the machine? is that a good idea and how do I know what is a decent price for certain parts?

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

Is that the google group pinmike?
    I'm also curious what you guys think of acquiring parts before you have the machine? is that a good idea and how do I know what is a decent price for certain parts?

Try rgparchive-removed.com
    http://rgparchive-removed.com/

There are parts stores online marcospecialities,Pinballife,Mad amusements,Pinbits,
    bay area amusements that carry parts for all kinds of games.I normally stock up
    on coils,switches,doides etc. One machine is pretty easy to maintain but when you
    have 8 machines like i do extra parts always come handy.

#16 12 years ago

Xenon rules, scope my avatar, I'm sure you'll recognize it. Welcome to the pinside Frank!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Try rgparchive-removed.com
    http://rgparchive-removed.com/

There are parts stores online marcospecialities,Pinballife,Mad amusements,Pinbits,
    bay area amusements that carry parts for all kinds of games.I normally stock up
    on coils,switches,doides etc. One machine is pretty easy to maintain but when you
    have 8 machines like i do extra parts always come handy.

Yep that worked, So would there be a specific part that would be really hard to find other than Xenon's speech board, more so like would there be a list of general parts and tools that I should have for a specific brand like "Bally" so I'm prepared.

Yeah I actually saw that one but not sure if that is too far for me to pick up. I would drive 5-6 hours away from NY.

Quoted from guymontag451:

Xenon rules, scope my Avatar, I'm sure you'll recognize it. Welcome to the pinside Frank!

Hi, yes I do recognize your avatar guymontag451 . Do you have a Xenon yourself?

#19 12 years ago

Welcome to pinside. This community of pin collectors is second to none.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

Hi, yes I do recognize your Avatar guymontag451 . Do you have a Xenon yourself?

Nope, skipped a beater that I saw for sale awhile back. Someday though! Love the art/ gameplay package, a true classic! It's just one of my fav's.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from JDub1006:

Welcome to pinside. This community of pin collectors is second to none.

Hi JDub1006, I can tell it definitively is.

Quoted from guymontag451:

Nope, skipped a beater that I saw for sale awhile back. Someday though! Love the art/ gameplay package, a true classic! It's just one of my fav's.

Damn was it that bad that you couldn't save it? I hope you find one, do you at least have one in the area you can play?

Should I list a wanted ad in all of the sites you guys mentioned or just 2? I'm a little confused how to list it on Mr. Pinball Classified site, I'm not sure if I should make another email just for it, what have you guys done for it when placing a wanted ad?

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Chinchilla:

Should I list a wanted ad in all of the sites you guys mentioned or just 2? I'm a little confused how to list it on Mr. Pinball Classified site, I'm not sure if I should make another email just for it, what have you guys done for it when placing a wanted ad?

Did you place a wanted thread on RGP? I would start there and see what
    results come up.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Did you place a wanted thread on RGP? I would start there and see what
    results come up.

Yes pinmike I just posted on RGP, I also listed an wanted ad on pinballowners as well as on pinsiders as well. now comes the fun waiting game...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hello-everyone-first-post-and-in-search-of-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.