Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by stewdogg
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36DF33D2-89E9-4F2E-8AAC-65A5186CE480 (resized).png
    IMG_3905 (resized).jpg
    Photo May 06, 4 28 12 PM (resized).jpg
    South Branch (resized).jpg
    Photo Jan 22, 6 36 14 PM (resized).jpg
    F1C7DABD-03A7-41F6-B464-AA0CA8F4C290 (resized).jpeg
    Pinball Tips Poster (resized).png
    7037B9F6-3F9B-4D81-8992-63C0C1610208 (resized).jpeg
    Bank of Pinball Front Doors After (resized).jpg
    Bank of Pinball Front Doors Before (resized).jpeg
    The next two (resized).jpg
    BoP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20211203_220410078 (resized).jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Hey everyone! My business partner has been here in this community a long time privately collecting and restoring machines. And I recently sold another one of my companies (www.ggcircuit.com) and took some of the proceeds so that he can I can open a new pinball location.

I am sure by reading the tone of many of the members who have been here a long time, we will be seen as kind of an issue for prices going up on the newer pins.

As software folks and after running esports centers (ours locally in Terre Haute is called eBash, www.eBash.com) around the world we are driven by automation, data and technology. So the new Insider Connected system from Stern is what started this project.

Along with a cool old empty bank. Ok, mostly because of the cool empty bank.

And... I might have a slight obsession with Xbox achievements so that probably has something to do with it also.

We have managed the past 3 months to source 16 of the 17 Spike 2 machines that will support Insider Connected. We just got our Godzilla Premium yesterday and got it online and our first retrofit kit arrived for one of the other machines which I am sure my partner will install in the next day or two. We only have Deadpool left to source and have it preordered for their next build sometime next year just in case we don't find one before then.

We will get some before, during and after pics uploaded on this thread, just wanted to say hi and come out of the shadows a bit. So glad a community like this exists of both private and commercial owners. Reminds me of when I started my LAN center in 2004 and we all hung out in an old forum for a group called iGames and helped answer questions and solve issues together.

PXL_20211203_220410078 (resized).jpgPXL_20211203_220410078 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Looks amazing! Good luck with the place.

#3 2 years ago

Looks awesome! Will definitely have to check it out— good luck!

#4 2 years ago

Good Luck!

We opened our place in May and have had a great year so far.

Place looks great. Make sure you get some older games if your customers are more casual. New sterns are intimidating to non pinheads and they give up quick. My EMs and SSs get as much if not more play than modern machines.

#5 2 years ago

Wow! Looks amazing.

#6 2 years ago

Looks like a cool venue.

#7 2 years ago

Good luck, hope it goes well.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Good Luck!
    We opened our place in May and have had a great year so far.
    Place looks great. Make sure you get some older games if your customers are more casual. New sterns are intimidating to non pinheads and they give up quick. My EMs and SSs get as much if not more play than modern machines.

Well, he's been trying to convince me to bring up my Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, Elvira and the Party Monsters and Doctor Who to add to the overall lineup.

He hasn't succeeded yet...

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

Well, he's been trying to convince me to bring up my Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, Elvira and the Party Monsters and Doctor Who to add to the overall lineup.

You learn your customer demos pretty quick. If it's pinheads then those machines and Sterns will do great.

I am in a tourist town and get mostly casuals, so <$2K machines keep people as busy as $7K Sterns or a $10K IJ. Good pinhead machines don't always make for good machines in my place. Iron Maiden is a bust JP OK, I sold my DP and Avengers because they got low marks. I have a few rando EMs that are getting worn out cause kids love bells.

Must have a TAF, as everyone that comes in played one in College, so they are willing to reminisce.

I've got about 30 machines and my target is 1/3 modern 1/3 Classics and 1/3 cheapos. But I could probably do 50% cheapos and no one would notice.

Mix them up physically and they will all get played. As long as they play 100% and are clean, everyone has a good time.

You guys selling beer or food?

#10 2 years ago

You guys selling beer or food?

We are exploring some options there.

#11 2 years ago

Must have a TAF, as everyone that comes in played one in College, so they are willing to reminisce.
    I've got about 30 machines and my target is 1/3 modern 1/3 Classics and 1/3 cheapos. But I could probably do 50% cheapos and no one would notice.

Yep! A huge thing with pinball is nostalgia. What people played when they were at the arcade/college/dating/bowling etc etc.

Addams is always my number one “do you have for sale” request.

Weirdly - very weirdly - another huge request is Gilligans Island. Because there used to be one on location in a very popular bar/pub in Auckland central, and heaps of people played it. So they remember it and want one.

A line up of all new pins would be scary to a lot of old timers I reckon.

rd

#12 2 years ago

An TAF has always been a grail pin for me...but shesh, finding one that doesn't cost both arms and both legs and also a kidney is pretty much impossible these days.

I remember seeing a HEAVILY routed TAF at a coinop auction in Indianapolis 15+ years ago. Dirty, rubbers either dry rotted or just completely missing, half the lights out...but it did still play...I walked away as it was going past 6k...

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

We are exploring some options there.

Should have been your first option. You won’t make rent on machines only.

Quoted from rotordave:

A line up of all new pins would be scary to a lot of old timers I reckon.

Old timers and kids. EMs and SSs are way more approachable.

You guys doing coin drop or hourly?

#14 2 years ago

Old timers and kids. EMs and SSs are way more approachable.

The ones I have had out are coin drop.

Working my way towards a 100+ pin facility.

One day ….

rd

#15 2 years ago

I've never heard anyone say that kids like older games more. I'm a little skeptical, but I could believe that.

#16 2 years ago

I come to Terre Haute once a year or so on business so this makes me very happy!

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

I've never heard anyone say that kids like older games more. I'm a little skeptical, but I could believe that.

Well they will start any game, but I watch what they finish or go back to. Avengers and Turtles just have too many things going on, they are attracted by the theme but get lost quickly. They can keep up with my wedgeheads and keep going back.

I charge $15 for the day, so they will wander around and start a lot of games, so maybe coin drop would create different behavior.

#18 2 years ago

Well they will start any game, but I watch what they finish or go back to. Avengers and Turtles just have too many things going on, they are attracted by the theme but get lost quickly. They can keep up with my wedgeheads and keep going back.
    I charge $15 for the day, so they will wander around and start a lot of games, so maybe coin drop would create different behavior.

Is there a reason that your bar is not listed as a location on the Pinmap? I just found you there as a Pinsider. I was in ATL for training for two months, I hit a few locations. I would have gladly driven up to your place, had I known it was there!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

As a Bloomfield boy that's moved to Bloomington I'd love to get to know you lol.

Just got concrete down in my game room yesterday. Hope to have ot carpeted by may then ill have Stargate (way to much money invested in this one) Playboy stern, X-men LE, DP premium and by feb a TBL.

#20 2 years ago

If we wanted to open just another bar...but Terre Haute already has quite a few of those. We are actually a little bit farther along than just exploring options. But for now, we decided to go ahead and open with the machines initially and add the rest after the holidays. (Although now that I think about it, a New Years Eve party there would be kinda fun...)

I believe for the initial opening we are going to just keep it a simple coin drop.

#21 2 years ago

Also...a couple more machines moved in.

BoP (resized).jpgBoP (resized).jpg
    #22 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

Is there a reason that your bar is not listed as a location on the Pinmap? I just found you there as a Pinsider. I was in ATL for training for two months, I hit a few locations. I would have gladly driven up to your place, had I known it was there!

We are - https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/15032-vertigo-pinball-blue-ridge-ga

We are about 90 miles north of ATL, so you need to expand the map a bit

Its a tourist location so would have been great for a weekend that you didn't go home.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

If we wanted to open just another bar...

Pinball and beer isn't just another bar in most places.

PM me for my contact info, happy to share my learnings over the last year.

I'm a pinhead, tournament player, long time collector, and pretty stubborn, but there are a few things you need to get right in order to make enough money to stay open and be happy doing it.

#24 2 years ago

Pinball and beer isn't just another bar in most places.

Sorry, the way you worded it, I interpreted it as you were saying that we should have opened with drinks first instead of the machines.

There is actually a "Barcade" in Terre Haute, but it is mostly arcade machines. I think they have one pinball machine (a SEGA Independence Day) but I'm not aware of it's condition. My understanding there is the machines are set on free play, but you have to pay a cover to get in.

#25 2 years ago

We are - https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/15032-vertigo-pinball-blue-ridge-ga
    We are about 90 miles north of ATL, so you need to expand the map a bit
    Its a tourist location so would have been great for a weekend that you didn't go home.

Ah. I was looking at the Sandy Springs info. I pass your location weekly, but from the air. But next time I'm in town for an extended period, maybe I'll combine a trip to visit friends in Chattanooga with a stop at your bar.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

Sorry, the way you worded it, I interpreted it as you were saying that we should have opened with drinks first instead of the machines.
    There is actually a "Barcade" in Terre Haute, but it is mostly arcade machines. I think they have one pinball machine (a SEGA Independence Day) but I'm not aware of it's condition. My understanding there is the machines are set on free play, but you have to pay a cover to get in.

That place is kinda lame. I can't imagine making enough money without beer. I'll be there either way but without beer I know ill be spending way less money lol

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhoody:

That place is kinda lame. I can't imagine making enough money without beer. I'll be there either way but without beer I know ill be spending way less money lol

I was trying to stay neutral on that place.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

I was trying to stay neutral on that place.

Lol yeah gotta stay friendly. My friends said it was cool and brought me. I was like "uhhh have you ever been to ANY other arcade bar?" And no they hadn't...

#29 2 years ago

Just a quick update for anyone following along, as Niterider has talked about we are just going to get open with simple coin drop to start. We will gradually increase the extras but we want to see the functionality of the place from a pinball perspective to help make decisions on seating and F&B, especially when it comes to selling pre-packaged versus prepared items and dealing with the health inspector.

We are going to work to hopefully feature the machines in a way with IC that guides each player into creating their IC account and then showing them how the points/achievement system works. There will be a leaderboard for each of our machines showing high score leaders in two categories, straight up game points and then the achievement points.

One thing from my background is that I enjoy achievements on a weighted scale through sites like trueachievements.com. The developers usually pick a point value for achievements without much data, but as players play the machines and data builds it becomes obvious what are "easy" achievements and which ones are more difficult. The points should be weighted based on the # of players that have obtained them.

And the first month or two our place will also be a sandbox for some streaming tests. One thing that we have noticed is playing pinball is fun with others when they can watch your playfield, but in most venues you can't give 3 feet around each machine for folks to gather around the machines to watch. We want to stream the fields along with stats and maybe even a camera on the face of the player so that in different parts of our venue you can sit and relax and watch others play without needing to be right next to them.

14 more retrofit IC kits should be on the way, currently have two online of our 16:
    https://insider.sternpinball.com/insider/locations/1184

1 week later
    #30 2 years ago

We opened the doors on Thursday and so far...not too bad. They aren't flooding in, but there have been a few times where multiple machines were getting a workout.

And just added two more to Insider, and I have two more kits to install...

The next two (resized).jpgThe next two (resized).jpg
    #31 2 years ago

Went to Bank of Pinball today in Terre Haute, IN. I was excited to see a new push for pinball in the community however the entire experience was underwhelming. There was no effort in building a fun environment for customers to be in. Zero decor on the walls, exposed old bank wires behind the counter, the floors looked like they didn't even vacuum after the previous tenants. Guardians of the Galaxy was out of order and the guy behind the counter was very disengaged and spent most of his time outside of the entire mall.

Pinball is always going to be fun to play but would like to see an effort made to create an atmosphere of an arcade.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeReview:

Went to Bank of Pinball today in Terre Haute, IN. I was excited to see a new push for pinball in the community however the entire experience was underwhelming. There was no effort in building a fun environment for customers to be in. Zero decor on the walls, exposed old bank wires behind the counter, the floors looked like they didn't even vacuum after the previous tenants. Guardians of the Galaxy was out of order and the guy behind the counter was very disengaged and spent most of his time outside of the entire mall.
    Pinball is always going to be fun to play but would like to see an effort made to create an atmosphere of an arcade.

I think the owners are still finding their footing with the place, based on their posts here so far… I’d give them a little time to get the essentials lined out so they can focus on the rest of the experience. Definitely feels like the announcement here was more of a “Work in Progress” than a “Grand Opening,” so gotta keep that in mind when setting expectations.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeReview:

Thanks for the honest review. Our grand opening isn’t until January 6th, but we opened for now with just being able to play the machines. As for everything else...

The mall actually doesn't want us changing much in that space for now. One thing they literally told us not to change was the wall paper. We have signs and other decor ordered, but again...it just hasn't arrived yet. Heck, I think we are just now getting the paperwork sorted to get us drink coolers from Pepsi.

As for the carpet, I personally scrubbed the hell out of it for over a day. You should have seen it before I went after it with a carpet cleaner. We even have a local carpet place coming in to see what they can do to tighten the carpet up in places to smooth it out...but you know...holidays. And again, the mall wouldn't let us just change the carpet....for now.

I haven't been made aware that GotG was even out of service. The last report of any issues was from the previous evening and that was that the Iron Maiden's left coin mech has a couple of coins jammed in it. I had them just cover that coin slot until I can get up there Sunday and get it sorted out. I'll find out why GotG was off and why I wasn't notified about it from that employee that now has some questions to answer....

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Looks awesome! Will definitely have to check it out— good luck!

Road trip.lol

#35 2 years ago

Interesting...the employee that worked today has already responded to my question and he is puzzled about GotG being out of service because it was on all day today and he says that he never stepped outside of the mall.

GotG was off earlier this week for a couple of hours when one of the employee's noticed a screw on the play field. I just had her turn off the machine until I stopped in after work and I found where it had came from. I had GotG back up and running shortly after. And I know that employee that was working that day is engaging with just about everyone that walks in there.

And I just noticed...that account is brand new and that is their first and only post so far.

#36 2 years ago

Smelling fishy…..

#37 2 years ago

I guess I can also say that we now have 16 machines running.

Aerosmith Pro, with Insider installed.
    Avengers: Infinity Quest Premium, with Insider installed.
    Batman 66 Premium
    Beatles Gold
    Black Knight: Sword of Rage Pro
    Elvira's House of Horros Premium, with Insider installed.
    Godzilla Premium, obviously with Insider.
    GotG Pro
    Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast Premium
    Jurassic Park Premium, with Insider installed.
    TMNT Premium, with Insider installed.
    Led Zeppelin Premium
    The Munsters Premium
    The Mandalorian Premium
    Star Wars Premium
    Stranger Things Pro

Insider kits have been ordered for all remaining machines. And hopefully our signage will be installed next week.

And then there is this: https://bankofpinball.square.site/product/pin-the-beginning-package/233?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false&fbclid=IwAR1wxP7qRsacHGZFa6NKqBr_EuLFVXMXE5BfKBZXH0PiPs13fVi0vG8W9tk

Sorry, the shirts are currently only available for pickup at the store.

#38 2 years ago

I've been playing on location for about 50 years now and interior decor means nothing to me. You don't serve food or drinks, so it's all about the games. Casual players however might not like exposed wires. If you want to give it an old school vibe, put a 4' black light on one wall.

Interesting that you're going with an all IC lineup. Googled for a website and couldn't find one. You guys should get at least a website or FB page. If you have tournaments there, you'll need a place to advertise and give event details. Wish I was closer. Best of luck.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I've been playing on location for about 50 years now and interior decor means nothing to me. You don't serve food or drinks, so it's all about the games. Casual players however might not like exposed wires. If you want to give it an old school vibe, put a 4' black light on one wall.
    Interesting that you're going with an all IC lineup. Googled for a website and couldn't find one. You guys should get at least a website or FB page. If you have tournaments there, you'll need a place to advertise and give event details. Wish I was closer. Best of luck.

https://www.bankofpinball.com/ https://www.facebook.com/bankofpinball

The exposed wires in question are just some old network and CCTV wires. I'll get them all cleaned up soon enough, but for now they aren't any type of hazard at all.

And drinks and snacks are coming...

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

Interesting...the employee that worked today has already responded to my question and he is puzzled about GotG being out of service because it was on all day today and he says that he never stepped outside of the mall.
    GotG was off earlier this week for a couple of hours when one of the employee's noticed a screw on the play field. I just had her turn off the machine until I stopped in after work and I found where it had came from. I had GotG back up and running shortly after. And I know that employee that was working that day is engaging with just about everyone that walks in there.
    And I just noticed...that account is brand new and that is their first and only post so far.

Yeah and the username is “Arcade Review” with no location and decided to visit your place that’s doing a soft opening for its first review? Bullshit. I would hope there’s no correlation with the other place in town, but who knows? I just hate that people can just anonymously create new accounts and leave reviews on social media. Good luck with your place guys, if I’m ever down there I’ll definitely stop by.

#41 2 years ago

I'm unsure why you are so seemingly "obsessed" with the insider trading thing?

There are many many players that just are not the slightest bit interested in it....each to their own I guess???

For sure, the casual 'off the street' customer is not going to care one iota about insider trading so I wouldn't be too hell bent on promoting that as your best feature for the place.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

I'm unsure why you are so seemingly "obsessed" with the insider trading thing?
    There are many many players that just are not the slightest bit interested in it....each to their own I guess???
    For sure, the casual 'off the street' customer is not going to care one iota about insider trading so I wouldn't be too hell bent on promoting that as your best feature for the place.

Probably because BoZack was one of the beta testers for Xbox Live and is completely obsessed with achievements. We have talked off and on the past couple of years about how to create a system that could do something similar for arcade machines. When Stern announced Insider…it checked off the basics we were looking for.

Some of the future features look promising as well.

1 week later
    #43 2 years ago

Making progress, we have a quote to rework the kitchen so we can get some food items on the menu and apply for our beer/wine permit. We are already looking at taking over more space next door and connecting the two sides to add more machines. The soft opening has gone extremely well in my opinion (as one of the owners our opinions are really the ones that matter! hahahaha) because I have seen families with 3 generations show up and have fun playing for 30-60 minutes or more, kids, parents and grandparents. That is why I love pinball, the demographics are so big!

We still are waiting on the mall to change the outside door locks so that we can offer private events after hours when the mall closes, I believe those will be really popular when 15-25 folks can rent out the place and play for 3 hours on free play for one rate. During the day the quarters are working great having folks use the change machine in the old vault is such a cool feel.

Most likely when the kitchen work starts we will also replace the carpet, while we wanted to keep things authentic to the old bank, it isn't dirty as much as it is stretched and wrinkled. We will try to put something back in to keep the vibe/feels of the old bank.

Attached are the Before and After pictures of the front doors leading into the mall. I am super happy with our sign guy, he was able to very closely match new vinyl for "Of Pinball" in the same style of gold leafed signage from the old bank.

Bank of Pinball Front Doors After (resized).jpgBank of Pinball Front Doors After (resized).jpgBank of Pinball Front Doors Before (resized).jpegBank of Pinball Front Doors Before (resized).jpeg
    #44 2 years ago

Looks awesome! Great potential…

#45 2 years ago

Dunno….do you think people will be able to find the place?

7037B9F6-3F9B-4D81-8992-63C0C1610208 (resized).jpeg7037B9F6-3F9B-4D81-8992-63C0C1610208 (resized).jpeg
    #46 2 years ago

Funny why anyone would complain about the decore etc? That is what is drawing me to drive 2 hours and check it out. Don't change a thing! This is classic! A place with a theme! Finally, its been years, so tired of the boring strip malls and loud concrete tombs that are all the same.
    May I suggest a few older games as well eventually to fit the theme and mix it up?
    Champion Pub
    Fire!
    Cactus Canyon
    Great work,best of luck

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Funny why anyone would complain about the decore etc? That is what is drawing me to drive 2 hours and check it out. Don't change a thing! This is classic! A place with a theme! Finally, its been years, so tired of the boring strip malls and loud concrete tombs that are all the same.
    May I suggest a few older games as well eventually to fit the theme and mix it up?
    Champion Pub
    Fire!
    Cactus Canyon
    Great work,best of luck

We are already looking at making a hallway to extra spaces behind the bank for more machines. We will be adding some classics over the next few weeks, looking for kind of keeping a bit of a theme for each new room we expand. Next might be 90s machines for example but we are also looking at setting up rooms for machines from other manufacturers.

Next up is getting leaderboards going to award 4 week champion awards for each machine.

#48 2 years ago

This is a good poster to hang, maybe.

Pinball Tips Poster (resized).pngPinball Tips Poster (resized).png
    #49 2 years ago

You need to get a Safecracker pin in there.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from MonsterFish:

You need to get a Safecracker pin in there.

Nah - they only want pinball machines with Insider Trading - I feel that idea is limiting the appeal to a wider audience BUT it's their playground/their rules!

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hello-bank-of-pinball-opening-in-terre-haute-indiana?hl=gorditas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.