DSC09359.JPG
gorgar6.jpg
gorgar5.jpg
gorgar4.jpg
gorgar3.jpg
gorgar2.jpg
gorgar1.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Not much of a story.. My name is Joe (justjoe13) and my wife (Darth Ripley) have been interested in Pinball games since I was young, and never really imagined being able to purchase a Pinball machine until 9/13/2011. I was at a Christian ReSale (think of a Christian Goodwill) and spotted a Williams Gorgar machine for $199. After some bargaining, I was able to pay just $150 for it. It powers on, but only works 85%.. some lights are out, and does not play 100%.. but "GORGAR SPEAKS!". And from the people at the store.. it WAS working a week ago.. so there is hope!
I swapped out some old AA batteries.. and got the dreaded 1496 error.. quick off/on makes it come up OK.. checked the voltage at the batteries.. each one is OK.. but the main +/- show no voltage.. so I have to re-solder the pins.. or replace the holder and +/- .. any ideas??

I just ordered the manuals for it.. but is there a difference from the operating manual or owners manual? So I can help troubleshoot the rest of the pinball not working properly.

This goes right next to my 1983 Williams Joust Arcade machine that I picked up for $50 (but is currently down for repairs).. shame that someone doesn't have replacement boards for those machines like Rottendog makes. =(

More machines to come once I have a bigger house!

gorgar1.jpggorgar1.jpg gorgar2.jpggorgar2.jpg gorgar3.jpggorgar3.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Nice and what a steal! Good for you. Im sure they were thrilled to get rid of that machine from there Christian store. Its on my want list but whenever one pops up, Im either short of funds or short of room but defintiely plan to have one, one day.

#3 12 years ago

Fantastic, this machine was one of the first i ever played many years ago.
It owns a little piece of pinball history.
And for that price, you got a bargain, enjoy and well done.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from pintastic:

Its on my want list but whenever one pops up, Im either short of funds or short of room but defintiely plan to have one, one day.

Ditto, I would love to get my hands on one. That was an awesome deal!

#5 12 years ago

Good deal, you can fix that error with a chip that will eliminate the need for batteries

#6 12 years ago

Sweet! Just bought a gorgar about a month ago and have been tinkering ever since. Me got you!!!

#7 12 years ago

Thanks all, it is nice to have encouraging words. Been on too many forums full of haters.
This seems like a nice community. My wife just joined also (Darth Ripley)

Will the Owners Manual have everything I need to troubleshoot the pinball not working properly?
I might post over on the technical section for help on that.

#8 12 years ago

welcome and nice find

#9 12 years ago

thanks for the nice welcome everyone, i'm justjoe's wife & co-owner of Gorgar

i nearly fainted when we saw it in the resale shop as it is a pinball that holds tons of memories for me. i practically shouted OMG GORGAR!!!
my father never played video games in an arcade - the only game he ever played was Gorgar & i remembered so well the sound effects and talking, and also the fact that it was a tough pinball to play.

the machine is in decent shape - needs a very good cleaning to start with then we will wax the playfield, replace the rubbers, replace burned out lights & most importantly get it working 100% again.

once we can get a larger house i'll be adding a few more pins & a few more classic video games as well. i love pinball & video games as much if not more than my husband!

#10 12 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!! Gorgar is a great game and thats a super low price. Congrats. The owners manuals are must have for first pins and will provide invaluable info. Unfortunately they dont always explain why certain things are occurring. Or not. But knowledge runs deep here on Pinside and everyone is quite helpful. Just ask and as members see your post the answers will come.

#11 12 years ago

Welcome #7000. Cool #

#12 12 years ago

Nice score! I love the art on that machine. I'm just laughing like crazy though picturing gorgar at a christian resale shop. Maybe I'll have to go up there and look for some black sabbath records and a sinistar machine!!

#13 12 years ago

Gorgar was my 1st pin also love the heart beat

#14 12 years ago

One thing that my wife and I cannot believe is that someone donated the mahcine, especially to a Christian store.
In fact, after talking with the employees.. it was in the back.. and was "in use" until it stopped working, that is when they decided to put it on the floor for sale.. which is the same day we visited the store. So.. we timed it just right..=)

Where do you see the member #?

#15 12 years ago

Just hover your mouse arrow over your member name and it magically appears

#16 12 years ago

Welcome to the inside of the pinside. It's nice to see another couple on here. This is the best site for a friendly pinball community. I'm sure you will find everyone very helpful and respectful.
Good luck with the Gorgar, it's a great classic pin.

#17 12 years ago

Download the manual from the net and learn how to put it on all test modes: lamp, switch, solenoid, and display. Tells you how to set free play too.

#18 12 years ago

Great find, when you say it is at 85%, what problems are you running into?

If it is a power problem, make sure your connectors are tight.

#19 12 years ago

Not sure how handy you are with the ole soldering iron, but you will want to replace the 40 pin connector and the row of resistors on the bottom right section of your driver board. I guess if the Pin is working then just plan to do those things. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh, BTW....WELCOME!

#20 12 years ago

Excellent price! Great find. This is a solid late 70s/early 80s game. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

#21 12 years ago

welcome to pinball! Nice looking gorgar, looks fun.

Love your avy pic, Trigun just happens to be my favorite Manga of all time, and is an excellent anime also. Love Vash the stampede and Nicholas D. Wolfwood

#22 12 years ago

Congrats on your purchase! You can download the instruction booklet from ipdb.org. Click on Gorgar and look for the Documentation files.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=gorgar&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1062

The manual will help with some troubleshooting. Just post any other questions you have on here and I bet someone will be able to help you out. pinwiki.com is a good site for help as well as Clay's old guides.

Good luck!

#23 12 years ago

Thanks guys!! It is really appreciated.

So.. here are some of the things that I was having a problem with..
only 1/2 of the main table was lighting up, and the score area was not lighting up..
but a 20A fuse solved those problems.. other than some odd bulb here and there that is out/gone.
How expensive would it be to convert to LED?

But this is what I am facing now..
1. Drop targets are not working
2. Pop bumpers are not working
3. a couple of various bumpers are not registering
4. At the start of gameplay, the pinball does not pop into play
5. Ball lock does not kick the ball back into play
6. I have 2 balls, different sizes.. I was thinking about purchasing a "Gorgar Pinball Overhaul, Rebuild &Refurbish Kit" from Authentiarcade on Ebay.. which would have 2 new balls.
7. 1496 1 battery error.. but I measured across all 3 batteries (fresh batteries) and I am reading 0.00 volts.. so something happened, and I will have to replace the battery holder with a replacement holder.. a Trick that worked on the Williams arcade boards was to solder on a coin battery holder and use a cr2032 batt in its place.. but not sure if that has enough voltage.

What does everyone think?
I am just wanting to repair things and then Clean the heck out of it.. as it is pretty dirty.. and as almost all older pinballs, has had drinks spilled on it.

Now for lit up picsgorgar6.jpggorgar6.jpggorgar5.jpggorgar5.jpggorgar4.jpggorgar4.jpg.

#24 12 years ago

For all of these games you must address certain things. Every single Sys 3 - Sys 7 game needs these things done or they will not be reliable.

Replace the 40 pin interconnect between the MPU and Driver board. Replace the female side and resolder the male pins. This is Mandatory before you can accurately diagnose the rest of your issues.

If your MPU has any acid damage on it from the battery, you must neutralize it and then repair/replace the affected components. Usually this will mean the 5101 in a new socket at a minimum.

Next you need to make sure you have the proper power at your power supply board going to the rest of the game. You can refer to the manual and verify with your DMM each voltage at each Test Point.

After this you need to assess the health of your connectors. The IDC connectors used in this series of games are junk and at minimum I replace the connectors for the Switch Matrix, Switch Row, both sides of the MPU to Sound Board interface, and the Special solenoids/Flipper connector. While your driver board is out of the game make sure to check the header pins for cold solder joints and resolder where necessary.

Complete all of these and if you still have issues we can take it from there.

PS> Don't waste money on an "overhaul kit". Buy the parts you need from Pinball Life, Marco, Little Shop of Games, Planetary Pinball/BAA or the other great vendors. Gorgar only uses one ball by the way. The smaller ball is used in the roll tilt mechanism inside the cabinet on the left.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from justjoe13:

shame that someone doesn't have replacement boards for those machines like Rottendog makes. =(

Someone does! Gorgar is a Williams Sytem 6. You can find replacement MPU and driver boards at http://www.pinballpcb.com/index.html

Direct link to MPU: http://www.pinballpcb.com/System3-7MainBoard.html
Direct link to Driver Board: http://www.pinballpcb.com/System3-7DriverBoard.html
Direct link to Sound Board: http://www.pinballpcb.com/System6-7SoundBoard.html

I can recommend these boards. I got the Driver and MPU boards for my Firepower, and they work great!

#26 12 years ago

Craigmack, I am fine with inspecting the boards, and re-soldering and getting new connectors and what not. The whole machine needs a good once over to clean it up, as it has been neglected for quite some time.

SunKing, thanks for the info.. and if I need to for Gorgar, then I will deff look into this.
I was stating for my Williams Joust Standup Arcade machine.. I wish that someone made replacement boards like Rottendog for my arcade machine, not a Joust pinball. that is all.. =(
Those are nice looking boards.

#27 12 years ago

OK.. I was able to download the Gorgar Instruction booklet and according to all I read there, it talks about the solenoid.. and I do not think that any of those are working.. which means that whatever controlls the solenoid (driver board?) is not working.. so I just need to figure out what controls that.

At the same time, I am cleaning the machine up.. as it has been pretty neglected for some time.. but I am not going to replace EVERYTHING.. as it would be expensive, and I want to keep some of the character that the machine has. I am just going to focus on the things that need to be replaced, like rubber bumpers and other missing things here and there.

I read about the #47 bulbs.. which I will look into getting, and then saw the "resistor kit"...
http://www.marcospecialties.com/customkititems.asp?kc=WPRK-1
Do you guys recommend it? But I need to figure out why my solenoids are not working first.. So many things.. I just want to play it! =)

UPDATE..
After looking at the fuses.. I noticed that there is a 2.5A fuse for the Solenoids.. it "Looked" OK.. but I ran a continuity tester on it, and it was blown! .. answering why the Solenoids are not working.. now, I replaced the fuse, not once, but twice with a 3A fuse.. and it still blew.
So, now the question is.. Why is it still blowing? is there something like a faulty bridge that is causing this?
Please help.. I am soo close to getting this working.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from justjoe13:

SunKing, thanks for the info.. and if I need to for Gorgar, then I will deff look into this.
I was stating for my Williams Joust Standup Arcade machine.. I wish that someone made replacement boards like Rottendog for my arcade machine, not a Joust pinball. that is all.. =(

D'oh!~ Must have read through your post too quick - sorry 'bout that.

Quoted from justjoe13:

UPDATE..
After looking at the fuses.. I noticed that there is a 2.5A fuse for the Solenoids.. it "Looked" OK.. but I ran a continuity tester on it, and it was blown! .. answering why the Solenoids are not working.. now, I replaced the fuse, not once, but twice with a 3A fuse.. and it still blew.

Just a couple quick suggestions - make sure you are using the recommended fuse. Also, make sure to notice the distinction between a regular and a 'slow-blow' fuse (SB). And finally, if you haven't looked over the re[pair guides - I found them to be VERY helpful: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7

#29 12 years ago

Maybe I missed it but did you check your batteries? Are they fresh and no prior leakage?

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from jrrdw:

Maybe I missed it but did you check your batteries? Are they fresh and no prior leakage?

I did check the batteries.. thanks. I was in luck, and there was no leakage that I can see..which is nice. The battery holder was a B!^@# to get the batteries out and in.. I think that is what caused my 1496 01 (battery error) to show up in the first place.. so I will be replacing those..

Sunking.. thanks for the links..
My wife and I are still surprised to find the sheer amount of support for these Pins out there.. again much more than normal arcade machines.. and you would think the opposite would be true.. but not. Not that I can find.

#31 12 years ago

those warped plastics are easy to fix in the oven on a flat tray, nice score good luck

#32 12 years ago

I flatten the plastics by putting them beween 2 pieces of flat glass and put them out on the driveway for a couple hours.

No over heating like that. Easy and foolproof. Especially with the hot days weve been having in TX lately.

#33 12 years ago

Thanks for all the help & kind words everyone - it is nice to be a part of such a helpful and friendly community.

way2wyrd - sounds like a fantastic idea with the plastics, plan on doing that tomorrow.
how do you remove the metal "stands" (sorry don't know the correct terminology) from the plastics in the back? they don't seem to want to twist out & I don't want to damage those larger rear plastics.

also in the process of stripping the playfield. what do you all use to clean & wax the pf?
it has some wear & very light damage. i just want it cleaned up nicely, doesn't have to be super duper clear coat restored.

making a list of parts to order & also testing to see what is causing the solenoid fuse to keep blowing.
so far it looks like the coil for the door coin knocker is all burned up & needs to be replaced, but just testing out a lot of them with the multimeter.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from darthripley:

how do you remove the metal "stands" (sorry don't know the correct terminology) from the plastics in the back? they don't seem to want to twist out & I don't want to damage those larger rear plastics

I think what my wife means is that on the plastics.. there are some with "metal posts" underneath to help support when mounted.. they do not want to seem to want to come out.. and I didn't know if it would be OK to try to pry them out or not. Don't want to break any of the plastic parts.. as they are in pretty good condition, just warped.

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from darthripley:

also in the process of stripping the playfield. what do you all use to clean & wax the pf?
it has some wear & very light damage. i just want it cleaned up nicely, doesn't have to be super duper clear coat restored.

Novus 2 for cleaning plastic and Mylar. Cp100 for rubber. Any carnuba wax is great for the play filed, paste is better, but turtle wax will work.

#36 12 years ago

OK.. just an update..
I was able to OHM out the solenoids.. and all checked out except for the credit knocker.. came out at like 1 ohm.. so I think it is pretty nasty.. You can see in the pic..

Then I went ahead and replaced the solenoid fuse with the 2.5a slow blow fuse.. and then unplugged the solenoids and then powered it up.. and nothing blew.. So.. it has to do with the solenoid(s)..
So, I just clipped the wires to the credit knocker, and will plug everything in and see what happens.. I will let you guys know.

DSC09359.JPGDSC09359.JPG

#37 12 years ago

left in the toaster too long. crispy.

#38 12 years ago

Good News Everyone!
Well, after clipping off the credit knocker coil (see pic above) and plugging in all of the connectors (I think).. I powered it up, and it did NOT pop a breaker.. which means that it was that nasty coil to make it flip out. I thought that it looked quite susspect.. but now I know for sure.
So.. Once I am able to get this bad boy all cleaned up and replace that coil.. will cross my fingers that it all works.. I did have some of the things on the right side of the playfield not "respond" during my testing.. but it looked like everything else worked, including the pop-bumpers and the drop targets reset.. etc. Which is great to have.
The ONE thing that I am really having a hard time with is with the "ball" switch when the ball is "out of play" at the bottom of the playfield.. HOW am I to get this to hit the switch and notify the CPU the ball is there?? It is soo sensitive, and I do not know how that little guy us to be wired.. if anyone could give me a pic or anything, it would be appreciated.
I will continue to keep everyone up to date on Gorgar's status.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hello-all-first-pinball-gorgar?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.