Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Joshmx19
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dalbok.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hello all!

I'm a new member to pinside.com and wanted to say hello and seek some advice.

I'm not new to pinball growing up in the 70s and 80s and I've always been a big fan. However, recently I've been very interested in becoming an owner myself and I've been reading these forums for the last month or so. I'm been ver interested and been inquiring about some of the newer pins that have come out (or coming out): WOZ, XMEN, ACDC, etc... but I want to limit my spending on my first pin as I anticipate this being the first of many. That being said, my thought is trying to find a pin in the $1000 - $1500 range that is hopefully shopped and in good working condition. Ive modded some arcade games (Galaga, etc...) and have been comfortable doing so, but I know modding/maintaining a pin is not quite comparable with the mechanical aspects to it, so I want to start with something that is in good shape and work myself into maintaining/modding them.

Are there any recommendations anyone can provide on a fun machine that I can expect to pay in my range that is in good condition.

I've been interested in the Data East Star Wars because of the theme and being an avid Star Wars fan and peaked my interest more after reading the thread by ChadW about developing the mods to improve gameplay.

In any case, I look forward in becoming a participant on these forums and becoming a pinball owner myself.

Thanks,

Dalbok (aka Sam)

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That is going to be tight, but with patience, it's doable.

Thanks for the feedback vid1900. I meant to say in my original post that if you think my budget is unrealistic for what I'm looking for then please let me know. I'm not hard set on that exact amount but somewhere relatively close. As much as I'd like to I couldn't afford a $6k+ machine right now.

#20 11 years ago

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and the suggestions. I will ping Black Rose and see where they are located. And thanks for the suggestion about demo man. Also thanks for pointing me to the bang for your buck list. I haven't seen that yet in my time checking out this site.

As fas being a pinball noob, is there a specific section of the forum that would be good for me to review? A couple of questions I have based on things I've been reading are

1.). Is there an acronym listing for pins? Most of them I can figure out but there are several I'm not 100% sure on. I can usually use the ipdb to cross reference and figure it out, but didn't know if there were some noob threads for members like myself.

2.). Are there any guides to setting up a new pin? My main question is if all pins are leveled at the same angle? From what I understand I should use an inclinometer to level my pin and it should be leveled around 6.5-7 degrees but wasn't sure if that was a standard angle or if it varies by pin.

I'm sure I will have tons of questions and appreciate that a forum like this exists.

Dalbok

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Welcome! On the main page there is a sticky for "Pinball abbreviation Definitions". Thats what you're looking for. Good luck hunting!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Not sure how I missed that thread.

Thx

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dalbok.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hello-all-1?tu=dalbok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.