7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Joshmx19
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hello all!

I'm a new member to pinside.com and wanted to say hello and seek some advice.

I'm not new to pinball growing up in the 70s and 80s and I've always been a big fan. However, recently I've been very interested in becoming an owner myself and I've been reading these forums for the last month or so. I'm been ver interested and been inquiring about some of the newer pins that have come out (or coming out): WOZ, XMEN, ACDC, etc... but I want to limit my spending on my first pin as I anticipate this being the first of many. That being said, my thought is trying to find a pin in the $1000 - $1500 range that is hopefully shopped and in good working condition. Ive modded some arcade games (Galaga, etc...) and have been comfortable doing so, but I know modding/maintaining a pin is not quite comparable with the mechanical aspects to it, so I want to start with something that is in good shape and work myself into maintaining/modding them.

Are there any recommendations anyone can provide on a fun machine that I can expect to pay in my range that is in good condition.

I've been interested in the Data East Star Wars because of the theme and being an avid Star Wars fan and peaked my interest more after reading the thread by ChadW about developing the mods to improve gameplay.

In any case, I look forward in becoming a participant on these forums and becoming a pinball owner myself.

Thanks,

Dalbok (aka Sam)

#2 7 years ago

Welcome and good hunting on your pins!

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dalbok:

$1000 - $1500 range that is hopefully shopped and in good working condition

That is going to be tight, but with patience, it's doable.

#4 7 years ago

Welcome!

Depends on what kind of theme's you like aside from Star Wars, but check out the Bang for your Buck list and see what you think.

I got a Gorgar as my first machine and while it's simple, the art package and sound are amazing and the gameplay is really fun, especially for a first pin.

#5 7 years ago

Hello back to you. As vid indicated, with the rise of pin prices lately, you may find some titles in your price range but not very many. If you are willing to do some clean up and repair your choices should broaden. The other thing I would recommend is following this guy

http://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/black_rose

He doesn't live THAT far away. Always seems to have great titles for sale. Seems very fair on his prices.

Good luck!

#6 7 years ago

Welcome Dalbok!
    Lots of pin guy's in Va and Nc.

#7 7 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!!!!

#8 7 years ago

Welcome! You will find most here are very helpful, and you can talk about pins till you drop!

#9 7 years ago

Welcome home!

#10 7 years ago

welcome to pinside

#11 7 years ago

Yes Welcome

#12 7 years ago

Welcome to Pinside Dalbok. You should take a look at the bang for your buck list under the top 100. This will help give you an idea of whats desirable in your budget. Happy hunting

#14 7 years ago

Dal,

Contact nomadwitnot. He has the perfect pin for you and in south jersey so not a far ride.

Demo man. Good guy! I want it but I just can't swing it now.

#15 7 years ago

Welcome to pinside Dalbok.

#16 7 years ago

Welcome to Pinside Sam. Although it is very unlikely that you will find a clean DE SW for $1,500 don't be discouraged. There are some really fun pins in your price range. Acampero's suggestion to review the Bang for Your Buck list is a very good one. The prices there are a bit lower than the real world, but they will give you a good idea of what to pay.

The Gorilla is right about Black Rose. He is a very knowledgeable guy who will steer you right. You're entering this hobby/obsession at a very exciting time. Those new pins you referenced are/will be amazing. Enjoy!

#17 7 years ago

Welcome Sam !!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That is going to be tight, but with patience, it's doable.

Thanks for the feedback vid1900. I meant to say in my original post that if you think my budget is unrealistic for what I'm looking for then please let me know. I'm not hard set on that exact amount but somewhere relatively close. As much as I'd like to I couldn't afford a $6k+ machine right now.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dalbok:

Thanks for the feedback vid1900. I meant to say in my original post that if you think my budget is unrealistic for what I'm looking for then please let me know. I'm not hard set on that exact amount but somewhere relatively close. As much as I'd like to I couldn't afford a $6k+ machine right now.

Check my post. Not unrealistic at all. Quality pins in that 1500 range

#20 7 years ago

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and the suggestions. I will ping Black Rose and see where they are located. And thanks for the suggestion about demo man. Also thanks for pointing me to the bang for your buck list. I haven't seen that yet in my time checking out this site.

As fas being a pinball noob, is there a specific section of the forum that would be good for me to review? A couple of questions I have based on things I've been reading are

1.). Is there an acronym listing for pins? Most of them I can figure out but there are several I'm not 100% sure on. I can usually use the ipdb to cross reference and figure it out, but didn't know if there were some noob threads for members like myself.

2.). Are there any guides to setting up a new pin? My main question is if all pins are leveled at the same angle? From what I understand I should use an inclinometer to level my pin and it should be leveled around 6.5-7 degrees but wasn't sure if that was a standard angle or if it varies by pin.

I'm sure I will have tons of questions and appreciate that a forum like this exists.

Dalbok

#21 7 years ago

Welcome! On the main page there is a sticky for "Pinball abbreviation Definitions". Thats what you're looking for. Good luck hunting!

#22 7 years ago

As far as the angle goes... It's really fair game. Whatever you like. You just have to make sure all the kickouts and ramp shots still work. You can fine tune it for fast or slow. I prefer right in the middle to slow side.... Since I usually drink when I play....

#23 7 years ago

Hello from Richmond, VA. A lot of pinheads running around up in NOVA.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Welcome! On the main page there is a sticky for "Pinball abbreviation Definitions". Thats what you're looking for. Good luck hunting!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Not sure how I missed that thread.

Thx

#25 7 years ago

Welcome! If you are willing to do the work you can find some good pins in that price range that need some help.I was told to steer clear of later gottliebs and data east and I disagreed with that until my lethal weapon 3 exploded. You have about the same drive as I do but if you want to play a lot of games and see what you like go to pittsburgh this weekend!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 157.00
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 9.99
    Various Other Swag
    Circus Maximus
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.50
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside