123_1(88) (resized).jpeg
123_1(87) (resized).jpeg
123_1(90) (resized).jpeg
20240125_163420 (resized).jpg
jaws_date (resized).jpg
jaws_delivery (resized).jpg
elton_john3 (resized).jpg
elton_john2 (resized).jpg
There are 1,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 34.
#601 4 years ago

Wow, those are some awesome additions. I’ve always wanted to play Tommy - huge fan of The Who - can’t wait.

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

Wow, those are some awesome additions. I’ve always wanted to play Tommy - huge fan of The Who - can’t wait.

There is already a Tommy at Voodoo in Homestead.

#603 4 years ago

Brought my wife and son out yesterday. Awesome time! Beer was great as usual! Got to support the local fire department and the games were awesome as usual! Black Knight was really cool!!!!

#604 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Brought my wife and son out yesterday. Awesome time! Beer was great as usual! Got to support the local fire department and the games were awesome as usual! Black Knight was really cool!!!!

Cheers pgh!!

Thanks for the support all around. Sorry for the few units down. I had a date with my 2 daughters. I'll be back this week to tidy up!

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Cheers pgh!!
Thanks for the support all around. Sorry for the few units down. I had a date with my 2 daughters. I'll be back this week to tidy up!

No worries!!! There were plenty to play!!!!

#606 4 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

No worries!!! There were plenty to play!!!!

For certain but there is much much more to come! Stay in touch

#607 4 years ago

ToPS tournaments are now live at Helicon! ToPS = (To)urnament (P)inball (S)ystem, a built in feature of all newer Stern pinball games.

ToPS tournaments are now active on Munsters LE, Deadpool LE, Mustang LE, and Batman 66 Premium. This round of tournaments runs until July 14, 2019 at 11:00pm. We will be running these tournaments monthly from now on with different games each month.

How it works:

The four tournament games can be played as usual by all visitors of the brewery with no changes to the game. Any player wishing to enter the tournament can add a second credit to the game and then press the yellow, square "Tournament Start" button instead of the usual start button. Tournament games are three balls with "competition" game settings--no randomness on mystery awards, etc.

The top four high scores are paid out at the end of the tournament. The top four high scores and the payout amounts are tracked automatically by the game and are displayed when the game is idle. 100% of all second credit amounts used to start tournament games are paid out.

ToPS tournament buttons will be disabled during free play nights.

If anyone has any questions about the tournaments, please let me know!

Cheers,
Chris

#608 4 years ago

Awesome Chris! Can't wait to get out there and take you down on Munsters LE!

New games are coming soon. Just getting some of the finishing touches done on a few units and they will be present at the brewery.

Cheers!

#609 4 years ago

Gorgar and Royal Flush added. Everything appears to be in tip top shape. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for all the support. We can't wait to unleash Cosmic Carnival on you guys also Wonka is confirmed next week! See it at Helicon and Starport!

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Gorgar and Royal Flush added. Everything appears to be in tip top shape. Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks for all the support. We can't wait to unleash Cosmic Carnival on you guys also Wonka is confirmed next week! See it at Helicon and Starport!

Yes, yes YESSSSS!!!

Knew you guys would nab these Oompas by the Loompas before anyone else. Woohoo!!!

#611 4 years ago

Wow Wonka next week? Damn. Great to hear

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wow Wonka next week? Damn. Great to hear

That's what I'm being told. Hope to see you there!

#613 4 years ago

For everyone wondering, it looks like Wonka tomorrow afternoon at Helicon Brewing and tomorrow evening at Starport! We are beyond excited. Congrats to Jack and crew!

#614 4 years ago

The Wonkas have arrived. Packaging looks fine. Will have them up and running within the hour.

20190625_131230 (resized).jpg20190625_131230 (resized).jpg
#615 4 years ago

So, how is Wonka playing? Is it any good?

#616 4 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

So, how is Wonka playing? Is it any good?

Folks are loving it for sure. Very much a JJP style game. No one has got the GC score yet but I'm sure it will happen tonight.

#617 4 years ago

THE absolute best. Unbelievable guys!

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

THE absolute best. Unbelievable guys!

Thanks Delt. We feel like we have provided our customers with a great selection of games to choose from. The collection is really shaping up into something special.

#619 4 years ago

It’s time

B5A5DF1A-2F9E-47EE-B22C-C392B05A87AF (resized).jpegB5A5DF1A-2F9E-47EE-B22C-C392B05A87AF (resized).jpeg
#620 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

It’s time[quoted image]

Nice I'll be stopping by later tonight to play it.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

It’s time[quoted image]

Let me know what you think guys! Thanks for the support!

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Nice I'll be stopping by later tonight to play it.

Stopped by to see you and your dad. Cool collection at the shop but your dad definitely has way cooler toys! Let me know what you think Alek!

#623 4 years ago

Played about ten games of Wonka put up four million.

20190626_213809 (resized).jpg20190626_213809 (resized).jpg
#624 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Played about ten games of Wonka put up four million.[quoted image]

Come on alek..... Need a much better review than that! I'm hearing mostly bad reviews so far but I won't judge till I play.

#625 4 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Come on alek..... Need a much better review than that! I'm hearing mostly bad reviews so far but I won't judge till I play.

I really want to like this game it's a top five dream theme for me and it's a beautiful looking game. Unfortunately the sounds are obnoxious and the lack of assets stink wish I could see more movie clips with voices.

#626 4 years ago

I played a few games on it and I feel that there is innovation in the lock. I'm always surprised when a new feature is released on a pin just because....well... I feel like I should have already seen them all. Haha

Anyway I do think the game needs to be polished up in a few ways so I will wait and see where the journey of code ends up.

Either way you slice it, the game is at Helicon Brewing for your enjoyment. Thank you to each of you for supporting what we do at the brewery. I hope the game grows into something that everyone is happy with.

#627 4 years ago

Nice summary. Will check it out tomorrow as tonight wasn't in the cards

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I played a few games on it and I feel that there is innovation in the lock. I'm always surprised when a new feature is released on a pin just because....well... I feel like I should have already seen them all. Haha
Anyway I do think the game needs to be polished up in a few ways so I will wait and see where the journey of code ends up.
Either way you slice it, the game is at Helicon Brewing for your enjoyment. Thank you to each of you for supporting what we do at the brewery. I hope the game grows into something that everyone is happy with.

I appreciate your honest opinion. Hearing the word hope in a review is the most polite and scary word you could of chosen. It’s easy to discount haters and owners but a polite “hope” it gets better is chilling.

#629 4 years ago

I have fun playing games and respect all the effort that goes into making these games come to life. Jack, Gary, Gerry and the rest of our manufacturers all have a passion for what they do. Talk to them at shows. You can hear it in their voices. The new blood in the industry all have a similar dedication from what I can tell so I think we are in good hands. Wonka seems to be a well rounded game at launch but there are definitely some improvement needed and I would like to believe it will be coming with updates down the line. One thing JJP has never let me down personally on, is code. Their games give an immersive feel and that is why I pay the 'big bucks' for em.

Come check it out. Judge for yourself. PM me anything you are concerned on and I will do my best to relay those concerns to our manufacturers. They do listen if you relay the message properly.

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I appreciate your honest opinion. Hearing the word hope in a review is the most polite and scary word you could of chosen. It’s easy to discount haters and owners but a polite “hope” it gets better is chilling.

Yeah but as JJP has proven in the past they have done a good job with software updates. This was huge with The Hobbit. The last update made it a great game to play! Problem is, buyers spend all this money on machines (not just JJP) and then have to wait for the updates to happen. This sometime takes years to occur.

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah but as JJP has proven in the past they have done a good job with software updates. This was huge with The Hobbit. The last update made it a great game to play! Problem is, buyers spend all this money on machines (not just JJP) and then have to wait for the updates to happen. This sometime takes years to occur.

Vince that point is certainly valid and I have done as much as possible to convince the new devs on software from our manufacturers to stick to a schedule. If we know we will have 6-8 updates total per title, we will have 1. Base game 2. Additional modes and mini wizard modes 3. Bug check 4. Polish of existing code. 5. Expansion of base game, new objectives 6. Scoring balance 7. Bug check 8. Last call on all bugs and polish. ---- enjoy your game. 8-12 months total.

#632 4 years ago

After 10 plays, I actually think that I may like Wonka, eventually. I'm not a JJP guy, but I found myself wanting to play it more. But, with so many great titles at Helicon, I had to play others. For example, Oktoberfest is fun, but the ball flies off the wireform 50% of the time after the barrel ramp shot. That shot is hard enough for it to fail in this regard. That needs to change from AP. But ANCN and so many others, all with up to date code, are so fun. Thank goodness for Helicon - and the beer is friggin awesome, too.

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

After 10 plays, I actually think that I may like Wonka, eventually. I'm not a JJP guy, but I found myself wanting to play it more. But, with so many great titles at Helicon, I had to play others. For example, Oktoberfest is fun, but the ball flies off the wireform 50% of the time after the barrel ramp shot. That shot is hard enough for it to fail in this regard. That needs to change from AP. But ANCN and so many others, all with up to date code, are so fun. Thank goodness for Helicon - and the beer is friggin awesome, too.

I will work on this issue further on Oktoberfest. The solution is not the best from AP ATM but I will keep adjusting until it is right. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks as always for all the support!

#634 4 years ago

Frontier added. Next up Eight Ball Deluxe, Medusa, Cosmic Carnival and more!!

123951(64) (resized).jpg123951(64) (resized).jpg123951(65) (resized).jpg123951(65) (resized).jpg
#635 4 years ago

Helicon and Starport are fantastic venues and the only opportunity I have to try and play the games I want to own before I buy them.

Stopped by and got about 45 minutes of uninterrupted play on Wonka. After reading the reviews over the past week and the negativity surrounding the sounds etc..I went in with low expectations. I had stopped at Starport over the weekend and that Wonka was down and I heard Kaneda had a similar experience at Sunshine laundry Mat in NYC. I was very nervous to be in on an LE.

I was pleasantly surprised and blown away by the shots and flow of the game. I have owned 3 of the 4 previous JJP’s. The Hobbit, Dialed In and Pirates of the Caribbean. The Hobbit lasted less than 2 months, Dialed In lasted 15 months and Pirates 7 months. Dialed In was my favorite of the three and Wonka feels like an improvement in my opinion. I’m not a great player and the shots and ramps were easier to hit. I like the TV giving instructions because of the speed and flow of the the game, I felt it difficult to look up. The game modes felt intuitive and I really think my wife and kids will enjoy it. I finalized payment on my LE and suggest everyone play it themselves. I would like to see the video synchronized with the audio but when I looked at the other games currently available I felt it was definitely the most interesting game currently available. I have gotten very comfortable buying and selling games so I am taking the leap and starting the clock.

Thanks Chris M and Chris B.

#636 4 years ago
199E5902-295A-4216-8B1D-9AAA8AB6BB8C (resized).jpeg199E5902-295A-4216-8B1D-9AAA8AB6BB8C (resized).jpeg
#637 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Helicon and Starport are fantastic venues and the only opportunity I have to try and play the games I want to own before I buy them.
Stopped by and got about 45 minutes of uninterrupted play on Wonka. After reading the reviews over the past week and the negativity surrounding the sounds etc..I went in with low expectations. I had stopped at Starport over the weekend and that Wonka was down and I heard Kaneda had a similar experience at Sunshine laundry Mat in NYC. I was very nervous to be in on an LE.
I was pleasantly surprised and blown away by the shots and flow of the game. I have owned 3 of the 4 previous JJP’s. The Hobbit, Dialed In and Pirates of the Caribbean. The Hobbit lasted less than 2 months, Dialed In lasted 15 months and Pirates 7 months. Dialed In was my favorite of the three and Wonka feels like an improvement in my opinion. I’m not a great player and the shots and ramps were easier to hit. I like the TV giving instructions because of the speed and flow of the the game, I felt it difficult to look up. The game modes felt intuitive and I really think my wife and kids will enjoy it. I finalized payment on my LE and suggest everyone play it themselves. I would like to see the video synchronized with the audio but when I looked at the other games currently available I felt it was definitely the most interesting game currently available. I have gotten very comfortable buying and selling games so I am taking the leap and starting the clock.
Thanks Chris M and Chris B.

I am glad you have some comfort in playing the game. Bill is a great friend of ours and I can't wait until Penn State Starport is final so you can play these games on every lunch break.

As I always say, thanks for the support. We do work extremely hard to make sure you have a great experience at Helicon and Starport. The Penn State Starport will be no exception. Cheers Bill!

#638 4 years ago

Iron Man, Cosmic Cart Racing, and Jokerz have been pulled to make room for some new arrivals. Today Eight Ball Deluxe (1984 version) arrived along with a shopped out Flintstones that was here before.

Cheers!
Chris

20190703_131536 (resized).jpg20190703_131536 (resized).jpg
#639 4 years ago

What is the pricing on games at Helicon and can you hear the sounds well there? Thinking about skipping replay on Sunday this year and just going to Helicon instead.

#640 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhorn1:

What is the pricing on games at Helicon and can you hear the sounds well there? Thinking about skipping replay on Sunday this year and just going to Helicon instead.

$.50 per game for either of those 2 games. I would say you can hear the games pretty well. It can get crowded and when you have 50 games playing at once, then it will be slightly more difficult to hear. I would say I have been here many times during crowded events and I have still heard the games well so I would say the volume on each game is adjusted well.

Any other questions be sure to ask. We are happy to hear you may be stopping by!

Cheers!

#641 4 years ago

To clarify a little further on pricing. EM games are .25 per play, early solid state games all the way through 90's DMD games are .50. New Stern LE's and other releases are .75 or 3 games for $2. Our newest offerings are $1/play but that is just a few games that are brand new arrivals.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

#642 4 years ago

Happy 4th all!

Parade in Oakdale today!

This week's schedule:

Thursday: OPEN 11am-5pm, come to Oakdale for the parade and then stay for a beer!

Friday: Hummus food truck noon-8pm

Saturday: Mi Empanada food truck noon-8pm

We hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend!

#643 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhorn1:

As cjmjmm2006 mentioned, the brand newest games (7 of 48) are $1/play. The rest are $0.75/1, $2/3 or less with almost half of the collection at $0.50 or $0.25.

Our Sundays are pretty laid back and it should be no problem to hear the games. It is no problem to turn the volume up on any game if you flag me down.

Cheers,
Chris

#644 4 years ago
Quoted from chrisb:

As cjmjmm2006 mentioned, the brand newest games (7 of 48) are $1/play. The rest are $0.75/1, $2/3 or less with almost half of the collection at $0.50 or $0.25.
Our Sundays are pretty laid back and it should be no problem to hear the games. It is no problem to turn the volume up on any game if you flag me down.
Cheers,
Chris

I have heard from many many patrons of Helicon that chrisb is a tremendous asset. He looks through issues thoroughly and reports them to our route techs. We truly have a collection of games that is as close to a home use environment as you can get. He's available 90% of the time to address concerns with the games. Keys are on site.

Aside from having the best collection of current games from every manufacturer, we have classics in conditions that will certainly exceed your expectations. The games are gone through thoroughly prior to arrival.

Either way, chrisb had suggested Sunday as a great time to have the space quiet and exclusive in some manner. He will certainly provide you with a great space to play and better beer than you have at your house. Or your buddy's house. Lol

Have fun and let us know what you think!

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I have heard from many many patrons of Helicon that chrisb is a tremendous asset. He looks through issues thoroughly and reports them to our route techs. We truly have a collection of games that is as close to a home use environment as you can get. He's available 90% of the time to address concerns with the games. Keys are on site.

I definitely agree with everything said here. ChrisB listens to the patrons and gives me a bullet point list of each and every problem and concern with the games. I've gotten lists with everything from "this light flickers a little" to "the shooter rod is a little off center" to "the slingshot coil isn't rebounding as well as it should". ROM updates are a priority as well so you should expect a game with the latest code.

I love working off checklists, and it's easy to cross off all the issues with a single machine at once when you know what the problems are before work even begins.

ChrisM has the largest collection of games in Pittsburgh (and probably within 500 mile radius), so I'm sure you're going to find the latest releases and older classics at Helicon sooner later, or at Starport, or any of his other locations nearby.

Both Chris's are very approachable so make sure you let them know the great job they're doing and any requests you have!

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

I definitely agree with everything said here. ChrisB listens to the patrons and gives me a bullet point list of each and every problem and concern with the games. I've gotten lists with everything from "this light flickers a little" to "the shooter rod is a little off center" to "the slingshot coil isn't rebounding as well as it should". ROM updates are a priority as well so you should expect a game with the latest code.
I love working off checklists, and it's easy to cross off all the issues with a single machine at once when you know what the problems are before work even begins.
ChrisM has the largest collection of games in Pittsburgh (and probably within 500 mile radius), so I'm sure you're going to find the latest releases and older classics at Helicon sooner later, or at Starport, or any of his other locations nearby.
Both Chris's are very approachable so make sure you let them know the great job they're doing and any requests you have!

Thanks for the kind words Brian. I will certainly give a huge tip of the cap to chrisb. He has the best collection of games around hands down and to elevate that collection of games even further, the functionality of each machine is basically flawless or on its way to being flawless. It is truly a sight to see, he is now working on the lighting to better improve the players experience. Wow. Let's also not forget, he treats the beer and it's quality control the same way.

Huge thanks to everyone that comes by. Drops some coins. Enjoyed themselves in an effort to keep location pinball alive.

PS - wanted to throw out there that chrisb is also meticulous about other people's games on site. He's called me before to discuss issues at our sites I operate to give insight on potential fixes. This guy LOVES pinball!

#647 4 years ago

It's team league night at Helicon. Stop by and find out what it's all about!!

#648 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

It's team league night at Helicon. Stop by and find out what it's all about!!

What time? I had no idea that Helicon was doing a league.

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

What time? I had no idea that Helicon was doing a league.

It's a friend of ours. Helicon league will start miss summer. It's an all brewery league. Gonna be fun!

#650 4 years ago

Any new word on Cosmic Carnival's arrival?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 72.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 14.95
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/helicon-brewing-just-outside-pittsburgh-pa/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.