(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Explaination of lighting labels Posted by bcd (5 years ago)

Post #423 Version 1.2 notes Posted by SunKing (5 years ago)

Post #850 Game hardware diagrams Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Post #867 Updated hardware diagram Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#209 6 years ago

MightyGrave, did it work at all after the update? Is the USB still in the Zotac? Looks like a simple file system error so perhaps try logging on and poking around.
The credential used for FullT is root/password so I'd give those a try. If not, plug a keyboard in and boot into recovery and see what's happening.
It's just a Linux box but if you are not comfortable with checking file systems, bribe or blackmail a propeller head mate to take a look.

4 months later
#400 5 years ago

ralphwiggum, check and re-seat USB cables to IO boards and Utilite, ensure IO boards are snug into carrier boards, if fault persists rotate IO board and retest.

#424 5 years ago

BCD and Ferret are "insane dudes" and they should be recognised for their efforts.

2 months later
#652 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Have any Full Throttle owners found either of the Easter eggs hidden in the plastics art?

Only thing I could find was the FU on the helmet on the LH sling plastic. How about a hint?

2 weeks later
#692 5 years ago

Is there any hope of @BCD or @Ferret completing a cross-compile (or port) of the ARM Full Throttle code to AMD x64 (or whatever Alien is) and making it available please? I like my Utilite's but time it's to move on.

4 months later
#824 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Count me in for one of those as well, please

Quoted from PinChatt:

I would also be in if it will work on Full Throttle.

Me too please. Utilites can be made to boot from USB, TFTP, SSD, etc but a pain in the foot.

PinChatt, re your I/O board there is an avrdude.conf baked into the the FT Yocto image. It has references only to to the PIC32MX795F512, which is the heart of these boards, so perhaps PICKit 3.5 would help to read the state of the polyfuses, or wipe the PIC32 and stick fresh code on, although I would think there are avrdude logs to be found. You can login to the Utilite by plugging in a USB keyboard or SSH. User is root with no password.

Another theory is a busted FTDI231x USB-I/O chip, I'm looking at PIC32 hex now and it shows USB VBUS offloaded to the this little chip. You can easily test it with with software available on FTDIchip site and connecting the the USB cable from the I/O to your laptop but the board will need power from the game.

#836 5 years ago
Quoted from PinChatt:

Thanks. Do you know anything about loading firmware onto the IO boards using a PC? I've got one board that I believe has corrupted firmware. The game froze while updating the IO board. After restarting, that IO board is blinking the amber WARN LED and is no longer recognized by the game.

Be careful messing with these IO boards. I killed the bootloader on one of mine when messing with it on the weekend and have the warn led also, however when I open a term to the Utilite and run Avrdude, it sees the board, and when I connect the PicKit and read, the IO's info led blinks so all seems OK, and all that's needed is a new bootloader via programmer.U

IO updates definitely invoke Avrdude. The update package installer freewpc_1.41-r0_armel.deb contains "Reopening %s %s -C %s -p32MX795F512L -cstk500v2 -P %s -b %u 2>&1 avrdude /etc/avrdude.conf dude %s cmdline %s .
The programmer in /etc/avrdude.conf is hardly likely to work but I'm not sure where the override is, or if it's just using avrftdi or nix gpio. If the bootloader is shot this doesn't matter anyhow and it needs to be erased and re-progg'd.

Where's Romain when you need him?

Be aware .100 pin holes on the boards near the 4 way dip switch do not connect to the PIC32's MCLR, nor do the data and clock pins.

I'll get to my board on the weekend and accurately document the procedure.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#838 5 years ago

PinChatt, the ICSP pins do indeed connect to 25&26 on the PIC. My bad.
I haven't figured a bootloader yet, but connected the Pickit this morn however MPLAB IPE saw the Pickit but said no 3.3V on VDD & VSS.
Can you share your term cmds please? I'll take another look tonight.

#839 5 years ago

Can now get MPE IPE to see VDD & VSS with dip switch 1 on, however "unable to read device ID". Will set logging to "finest" and retest.

With dip switch 2 off, ICSP pin 1 - pic pin 13 (/MCLR) is 50K ohm, switch on it's 1.8K ohm. Forget to check voltages.

#841 5 years ago

Can't seem to get the Pickit doing what I want it to.
Board on bench, 5V applied, dip switch 1 on, have nice 3.3V on VDD, /MCLR is low.
Drive /MCLR high breifly via dip switch 2, when low again send cmd to enter prog mode, drive high again and not in prog mode.
Can't see anything in the .hex. It's compiled .c.
Just looked at some routines from "the other game", it also uses avrdude to talk/update IO's. Does however use STKv2 as prog. Will try with it's .conf

#842 5 years ago

I have successfully re-programmed the PIC32 on an I/O board which the game would not recognize and had the warn LED blinking. With board on bench, 5V applied, I used avrdude 5.1 on a 64 bit Win 10 with the avrdude.conf from Linux package 6.3 .
I used the update.hex (renamed to hpio.hex) from the last of the released updates.
The board is now recognized and works in the game.
Pickit was useless, old avrdude binaries baked into the Utilite the same and would not use recent .conf, Linux machines also no good. Windows with 5.1 and 6.3 .conf was the combination that worked.

The command issued below declares the part to be programmed "-p 32MX795F512L", the programmer to use "-c stk500v2", it then erases then re-programs the PIC with the file hpio.hex "-U flash:w:hpio.hex" using com port 3 "-P COM3" and uses the specified .conf from the *nix 6.3 package " -C avrdude.conf"

Command:
avrdude -p 32MX795F512L -c stk500v2 -U flash:w:hpio.hex -P COM3 -C avrdude.conf

Result:
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.09s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x504943
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "hpio.hex"
avrdude: input file hpio.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (520196 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 6.20s

avrdude: 520196 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against hpio.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file hpio.hex:
avrdude: input file hpio.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: input file hpio.hex contains 520196 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 95.71s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 520196 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

#851 5 years ago

Great work Per. Thank you.

1 week later
#869 5 years ago

Genius work again Per

1 week later
#887 5 years ago

Check the pinprog logs. Plug in a micro serial cable. SSH to the thing admin/no password. Poky around.
Try a new uSD with a fresh image. Funny file systems on these games.
Be very delicate with the Utlitie if change uSD card. Very, very delicate.
Update the uBoot env make it boot from mSata or USB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
9,999 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien?tu=shaneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.