(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Explaination of lighting labels Posted by bcd (5 years ago)

Post #423 Version 1.2 notes Posted by SunKing (5 years ago)

Post #850 Game hardware diagrams Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Post #867 Updated hardware diagram Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radius118.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 6 years ago

Hey I'm glad I found this thread as I was just about to post a Heighway bash thread..

Sorry, but these guys are a F______ joke. I have been trying to get parts for my FT from both Helmut and Morgan with nothing but empty promises about when they will get back to me etc..

The worst part? This started in MAY of 2017!!! So yeah.. *8* months and I *still* haven't gotten any parts information or pricing!

And of course since there are NO manuals I can't even look up a part number on my own. I have to depend on them to get the right part. Assuming they even respond to their emails.

Just ridiculous. Plain and simple.

So, I would really really like to elevate this beyond Morgan or Helmut. Anyone know who I can contact above them to try to get some parts?

Thanks.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear that. Heighway should be offering far better support, especially if they are trying to change how people view the company now that there are new investors.
Support stories like this are preventing myself and others from considering a Heighway pinball purchase. Communication needs to be far better.

Buying this game has been a real regret for me. These guys *have* to know they are losing out on potential sales and customers because of the woeful support. If not then they are completely clueless.

I am halfway tempted to take a big loss, fire sale this thing off and be done with this company.

So frustrated.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Almost makes me afraid to play mine (what if it goes down!).

At least you *can* play yours. Mine is basically a big pretty box to look at right now.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

I really wanted a FT but after reading this I am not so sure any more. Anyone have thoughts on if they would by a HUO FT again?

I bought mine used. The game is fun and the theme is right up my alley being a former motorcycle road racer. But the parts support is really making me regret the purchase.

At this point, I don't think I could recommend any Heighway product with a straight face.

Edit: Forgot to say that if some way some how HP gets their &*it together and starts to support their products then I might be willing to follow through on the original plan I had to purchase an Alien kit to put in my FT cabinet.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

New Heighway isn't actually making any FT's yet. But they have helped some existing owners with parts.

They are? Congratulations to those who have managed to get parts.

I've been trying to get parts for my FT since May of 2017. Doesn't sound like help to me.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Seems like they are targeting key industry folks and people who are screaming the loudest first while others who are patient are getting screwed.

Right.. Which is why I have switched from being nice and patient to complaining on the forums every chance I get.

It's really ridiculous. If you can't - or won't - support existing customers how do you expect to generate further sales?

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm really not sure they follow the forums to be honest. I think you need to change your strategy and bombard their emails (all of them), phones, and maybe their Facebook page until they submit.

You're probably right. I only have 2 of their email addresses. Helmut's and Morgan's and I am getting ignored on both. Do you have other addresses you can PM me?

The problem with bombarding their FB page is it's easy for them to block me, so it doesn't do much good unfortunately.

Too bad I don't have a good friend living near them. It's a LOT harder to ignore people who are there in person.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Phone calls seem to be the way to go.

That's next.....

#251 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I’ll bet it’s something completely unexpected that is causing the lack of response, like the people getting ignored using an AOL email address and going into the Spam filter.

If only that were the case... :/

2 months later
#277 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

This past week's Texas Pinball Festival marks my one year anniversary as an owner of Alien -

<snip>

I am really excited to finally get to see this machine as it was meant to be! I guess I should also mention that a lot of people ARE getting updated parts from Heighway, so perhaps they are turning the corner. But regardless, I will never buy anything directly from Heighway.

I am really glad to hear you are getting taken care of by CT.

Personally, I *still* cannot get HP to even answer my emails regarding parts and support for my FT. I have owned the game for 11 months and I can't get any parts.. That is seriously messed up.

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Posting here because title says full throttle/alien support. Does anyone know if Heighway sells replacement plastics for full throttle? I have a plastic over a ramp entrance that cracked from an air ball. Super glued it but it didn't hold and broke again. Thanks.

I hope you have better luck than I have had. My experience so far is that after owning a FT for 11 months I can't even get them to answer emails about parts, let alone actually purchasing and having them shipped.

I swear if I was going to the UK for any reason whatsoever I'd be seriously tempted to pay HP a visit in person.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

You are 100% correct. That is messed up. If it weren't for CT, I'm sure I'd be screwed as well.
I'm torn - came here to post positive vibes about my Alien, because it's playing great (minus the Xeno) and I'm enjoying the BADASS new code I've been waiting a full year to see. ...but hard to enjoy when folks like radius118 are stuck with no support...

Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. I'm genuinely happy you got your Alien issues (mostly) resolved.

Unfortunately, at this point I think HP is having enough trouble just trying to get Alien bugs worked out, parts shipped, games made, etc. Right now, in the state the company is in, I don't think they could care less about issues FT owners are having. At least my game boots up and plays. I have read other posts about FTs that are dead.

I'd be tempted to sell my game and be done with HP but I suspect I'd be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for it. Besides, I really do like the game and I have fun playing it. I'm just afraid to play it much in case it breaks.

Hey! Maybe HP has seen my bitching and moaning and has blacklisted me!

1 week later
#284 6 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

If it makes it any better they won’t answer a single of my support emails either

It doesn't make it any better at all. Sorry to hear you are in the same boat I'm in.

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Posting here because title says full throttle/alien support. Does anyone know if Heighway sells replacement plastics for full throttle? I have a plastic over a ramp entrance that cracked from an air ball. Super glued it but it didn't hold and broke again. Thanks.

HP sells *nothing* for FT...

Go ahead, email them looking for parts. If you get answer please let us all know.

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I don't understand this. Here is a company that needs cash, and could make some $$ selling parts - but they don't. I've offered several times to PAY for parts. ...nope... Why not throw up a quick store on your website? They can print replacement plastics in house easily. They could also stock other parts - like for example - the gear I need to make my Xeno mech work. It's simple plastic gear that probably costs Heighway less than $0.50. They could sell it for $20 and I'd still buy three.

That's kind of the rub isn't it? In order to have parts to sell you must have money to buy the parts to put into inventory. As it is, I suspect every part HW buys right now is going into Alien production or updates to Alien customers with machines that don't work right.

It's unfortunate as I would be willing to dump some more $$ down that rabbit hole called Full Throttle.

Why?

Cause I actually enjoy the game and it's fun. Plus the theme is right up my alley.

As it is I rarely play the game because I'm afraid that *this* is the time I switch it on and something breaks that I can't get a replacement part for. Now THAT is sad.

1 week later
#307 5 years ago

So now that Heighway's status is "stick a fork in them" I wonder what the chances are of Ferret or "someone" releasing FT code that's been ported to run on a PC instead of the failure prone Utilite?

#309 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

A pc can't run real time hardware like pops and slings

Isn't that what the I/O boards are for? The Utilite is just a small form factor ARM processor based PC running Ubuntu..

JJP machines run PC hardware also with an I/O board.

So really FT software could be ported to run on i386 architecture running Ubuntu as the OS. The issue is getting the source code in order to make it happen.

#317 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Heighway still owns the source code. Whatever happens next, it will be up to them or the future owners to decide what to do with it. It's not up to the developers.
As both ferret and I own the game, we are both interested in seeing updates beyond the current 1.2 release. But we can't make any promises until we see how this plays out.

I understand there are legal ramifications regarding the code on these games. I'm hoping that something can be done since the Utilite's are prone to failure and NLA.

Hopefully the new owners of Heighway's IP will allow some work on this front and even possibly game updates. All HP games are basically orphans at this point, but especially FT.

3 weeks later
#445 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

It's unlikely that the USB is a problem. A loose USB will cause the connection to reset, which will cause all LEDs to go off briefly and then come back on. It's very noticeable when this happens. This seems to be coil-only, which is either a power connector problem or there was an overcurrent condition that causes the board to disable coils. As it only happens after a while, and it is fine after reset, the connectors are probably OK, so my guess is it's a large power draw at some point that shuts down the board. I'd recommend going into the service menus and reducing the UR flipper power (and maybe other coils on that board too) and see if that fixes it.

Another suggestion on this note. Granted this is rare and likely not the issue, but it doesn't hurt to check as I have run into this once before with a flipper blowing a fuse. It's possible the coil didn't get enough windings when it was manufactured or it was mis-labeled (my case) so it's impedance is lower, causing it to draw more current. With the game off, measure the power and hold coil resistance on the suspect coil and compare to the rest of the flipper coils in the game. If you find the resistance is the same or very close then all is well. I would also check to see how hot the coil is versus the rest immediately after the flipper stops working.

6 months later
#786 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

It would take approval from Pinball Brothers to release it, and a huge disclaimer that they are not responsible for anything that might go wrong. I can certainly ask.

Any more information on this? Would love to have a pathway to replace the Utilite.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radius118.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien?tu=radius118 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.