(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Explaination of lighting labels Posted by bcd (5 years ago)

Post #423 Version 1.2 notes Posted by SunKing (5 years ago)

Post #850 Game hardware diagrams Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Post #867 Updated hardware diagram Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#609 5 years ago

Does anyone have the dimensions of Alien? Specifically, the length and width of the glass-frame.

#611 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Outer dimensions are 48 1/4" by 25 3/4" .

Excellent. Thank you!

2 weeks later
#665 5 years ago

Obviously, the Heighway site is down so the above amplifier settings doc is unavailable. I though someone had re-posted this document, but I can't seem to find a link/reference to in in the Heighway/Alien threads.

Just curios if this doc is available someplace as I'd like to tune my amplifier per DDT's instructions?

#670 5 years ago

Is the plastic piece in the upgraded air lock scoop something that can be added to a non-upgraded scoop or is the entire scoop different? If it can be added, has anyone done a 3D model for printing?

Mine didn't come with the upgrade, so I was curious about the upgrade and what it helps with. Is it just to help prevent damage to the scoop hole or does it help eject more consistently (both I'm guessing)? Is installing a cliffy enough or should I try to upgrade the scoop?

#675 5 years ago

So, I got my Alien from Australia. I put a standard PC power cord on it and it seems to power up and work for the most part. Is there any need to change the power internally on the power supply when using it in the USA? I didn't think you did with the switching power supply.

I ask because I'm having an issue with all the coils. They fire fine once, then they have very little to no power until I wait a few seconds and then the are able to fire at full force then no power.. repeat.. It reminds me of a capacitor charging up or something like that. I've replaced all the USB cables and I was hoping that would solve the issue. The cables still seem loose to me, but they should be decent quality cables with ferrite cores.

Any help is appreciated.

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes, we switched two voltage switches in the bottom of the cabinet. A sliding switch on the square power supply, and another switch on the supply about the middle of the cabinet. Sorry, I don't have the game in front of me to be specific, but we definatly switched TWO supplies.
I believe there was a piece of paper stating this too

Doh. Yep. That was it. Thanks!

I looked right over that piece of paper. Good to go now!

#691 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

[quoted image]

Much appreciated!

1 week later
#695 5 years ago
Quoted from Knightman:

I am trying to find a model number for main PC and SSD, I want to keep some spares on hand...I live in Florida, and we get storms.

If you have the newer PC then this is a replacement:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/AMD-A10-Quad-Core-industrial-motherboard_60781335264.html

Additionally, you want to upgrade it to 8GB ram (DDR3) and a 32GB msata drive.

If you haven't seen it, there is the PC I listed above as well as other parts listed in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

#701 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Mhh .. I searched whole pinside but can not find the post:
On the left ramp was aplastic planned. The ballguides under the ramp have holes to mount this "lost plastic" ... anybody has a picture or scan of this "lost plastic" ??

Do you mean these "tab" things?

alien ramps (2) (resized).jpgalien ramps (2) (resized).jpg
#703 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Yep !
I heard there is a plastic gate missing, a sign or something ... or it is just a bad coonstruction ... ??

Maybe someone from the Alien team can chime in, but my recollection is that Andrew mentioned ramp gates. However, I don't think any where made, other than a prototype(?). I never saw an actual gate, so I don't know if any where ever made. I thought Aurich said they were never created, but I can't seem to find that post.

#714 5 years ago

I haven't noticed any issues with my flippers, but I haven't played all that much: Still waiting on a scoop protector. Although I'm sure the capacitor solution works, seems a bit "hacky" to me. Is this something that can be resolved/upgraded with a different power supply?

#717 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's not "hacky".
Switching power supplies have a hard time responding to instant high-demand current draw. This helps a lot, and is pretty standard practice in pinball machines.
Check out Stern Part #520-5343-01, or this: https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/item/fast-power-filter-board, or this: https://www.multimorphic.com/store/circuit-boards/power-entry/

Appreciate the response; that makes sense.

Now to wait and see what TimeBandit comes up with!

2 months later
#808 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Anyone have any face huggers / leds / io boards or any other parts?

https://www.free-play.se/search/alien

2 months later
#912 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Hey guys, I just got an Alien SE today, I am running the latest 1.2 firmware.
Sometimes when I hit the bumpers my flippers gets disabled and the ball just drains.
Is this a part of the ruleset or am I having a different kind of trouble?
Thanks!

I'd suggest getting newer high-quality USB cables and see if that helps. They can come lose and cause weird intermittent issues,

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,999 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien?tu=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.