(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Explaination of lighting labels Posted by bcd (5 years ago)

Post #423 Version 1.2 notes Posted by SunKing (5 years ago)

Post #850 Game hardware diagrams Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Post #867 Updated hardware diagram Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Am unable to play a full game as it freezes constantly. Have to switch it off on to have it working again.

Are there any commonalities about when it freezes, like when starting a mode or a multiball? Was it freezing before you did the playfield swap, or is this a new symptom since you switched playfields?

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

New symptom since swapped playfields. Does occur random it seems. Sometimes just a few seconds in the game, sometimes at ball three for instance.

I'd encourage you to check all the cable connections, including both sides of the USB cables between the CPU and the I/O boards, and connections out of the power board. This just kinda has the sound of something getting bumped partially loose when you switched playfields, so it works until vibrations (whether from nudging the game, or solenoids/etc in the machine itself) jostle <whatever> enough to cause a problem. Perhaps interrupting power to the CPU? I note that all three screens in your photo are totally black, which makes me wonder if the CPU is turned off -- if the game software hung, I'd expect all the screens to be frozen with whatever the last thing was they were showing.

Good luck, let us know if you find anything!

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Got a multiball that seemed to ball save for much too long

There have been multiple reports of multiballs with infinite (or at least exceedingly long) ball savers. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this problem on my game. We are trying to get field data to help identify and fix the problem. If anyone encounters what seems to be an infinite ball saver or infinite multiball and want to lend a hand, it'd be very helpful if you:

- Jump into the operator menu (during the game, while it's infinite multiball-ing)

- Insert a USB thumb drive into the game's computer. (Not sure how easy or difficult this is, e.g. if they've run an extension USB cable to somewhere near the coin door...)

- Select Reports > Debug Report. It should advise that it's writing pinprog.log to your USB drive.

- Once it exits back to the menu, you can remove the USB thumb drive.

- Put the thumb drive into your regular computer, where as promised you should see a file called "pinprog.log". Mail that to me at alien<at>joe.tater.org.

The only cause I'm aware of for infinite ballsaver is a hyperactive outlane or trough switch, but if there's some other issue (like a software bug), I would love to fix it ASAP. Meanwhile, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks!

#117 6 years ago

Thanks, I’ll touch base with Brian.

1 month later
#179 6 years ago

I don't think this has been posted here yet... there is now a service bulletin for Alien, written by the brilliant David Thiel, that gives guidance on how to adjust your Alien's amplifier settings to get the best results from the audio system, and also ensure that the coin door volume controls have a reasonable range.

http://www.heighwaypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/AlienAmplifierSettings.pdf

3 weeks later
#210 6 years ago

We're working with MightyGrave to figure out what happened and get the machine back up and running.

2 months later
#255 6 years ago

The reason for the can’t-update-Pre-1.0 prohibition is that some game hardware changed between early games and production, and the post 1.0 software doesn’t drive the old hardware correctly. So work with Helmut at Heighway to get the required production hardware for the game, and current software will come along with it.

#257 6 years ago

Sorry, I’ll have to defer this one to Helmut, since I don’t know exactly what you’ve got... I’m really at a loss to understand how you could have code 0.96 on a current CPU and playfield. (And Nov 2017 should certainly be current for both.)

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

One question for owners, had a xeno Multiball starting where the ball went so fast that the magnet didn’t grab it and than the tongue remained out during the rest of the multoball. Is that normal? All other plays it was fine.

Should be fixed in 1.2, currently in testing.

#265 6 years ago

Yeah, the weird inverted switch glitch is (we hope) fixed in v1.2, which should be coming along soon.

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

2. The small lcd has a white line on the top that is visible. Is it possible to stretch the image or move it up two pixels like other pins (Jersey jack) allow ? If not what is the solution ?

This is on my queue to fix in a future code update.

1 month later
#405 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Looking at this based on the board stampings, this would appear to be a daisy chain scenario where something is not carrying down the chain?

The lighting is indeed on a serial chain, so if one light on a chain is loose in its socket or otherwise malfunctioning, it could take out the rest of the “downstream” chain. Try using the Single Lamp test to identify the first light that’s not working properly, and then suspect that light or the one immediately previous. Certainly something could have shaken loose during transport.

#436 5 years ago

When the UR flipper dies, do lights in that area also “freeze” (not necessarily go dark, but stop updating)?

Next time the flipper dies, try immediately hitting the operator Enter button, and let it scroll through the info pages... it should indicate if an IOBoard is missing.

#439 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Jesus...with all of those updates this shouldn't be 1.2 but more like 3.0!

The team kinda informally agreed that we would label it as 2.0 when it was *done*, when everything we'd imagined was in place. 1.2 isn't quite there, but it's close.

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I just tried it and as soon as it died, I hit the operator enter button. It scrolled through a few pages but the list of I/O boards all showed as being active--no "I/O board disconnected" error or anything to indicate they weren't all being seen.

Hmmm, OK. So continuing the same line of thinking, at that point can you try going into coil test and activating the UR flipper -- does it fire that way?

And since you didn't mention otherwise, I assume when the game gets into this state, the other three flippers work as expected, it's only the UR that's inoperative, is that correct?

2 months later
#602 5 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

1. There have been times when I power up the game and it freezes on the screen that says booting. I have to turn the power button off/on again and usually it will complete booting up to game play. What’s happening here and can it be fixed?

I'm aware of this. The solution is just to power-cycle the game.

Quoted from rlslick:

2. Right upper flipper at times will just stop working. If a ball drains...the flipper will work again. No consistency on when it will stop working. What could the issue be??
3. During a player 1 game play I hit start to add player 2. When the player 2 game started...I noticed that some of the lights were off. Shot the ball into the top left scoop and it didn’t recognize it. It eventually went through ball check and knocked it out. Shot it into another scoop off to the left and the same thing happened. I believe had I shot at any target, the same would have been an issue. Help on understanding what may be the issue here would be helpful.

I suspect both of these issues are due to poor quality USB cables. If a USB cable wiggles enough to interrupt its connection, a full USB reset of the associated IOBoard needs to take place, which takes a few seconds... while that happens, all elements (switches, lamps, coils) on that IOBoard will be unresponsive.

I have also heard customer comments that this problem can be caused by a poor power supply connection to the IOBoard... I don't have personal experience with that. I'd at least give a shot to swapping USB cables if you're having this problem on a chronic basis.

(If you do replace the USB cable, I need to give my standard disclaimer: be VERY CAREFUL when handling the USB cable going to the IOBoards. The mini-USB port on the IOBoard is only held on with a couple solder points, so it's relatively easy to rip the USB port off the IOBoard... obviously, that would pretty much kill the IOBoard.)

Good luck!

3 weeks later
#679 5 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

When I push the right flipper button there are some lights (inserts and GI) that are flickering.
It's random, not always the same lights but Always the lower half of the playfield.

This is fundamentally a hardware design problem. However, version 0.9 of the IOBoard firmware tries to work around that hardware problem, and on most machines it's totally or almost-totally successful at doing so. If your IOBoards have older firmware, you should be able to update them via the operator menus, if you have game code 1.2 installed.

1 week later
#693 5 years ago
Quoted from shaneo:

Is there any hope of @BCD or @Ferret completing a cross-compile (or port) of the ARM Full Throttle code to AMD x64 (or whatever Alien is) and making it available please? I like my Utilite's but time it's to move on.

Brian did this and it’s working fine AFAIK. (This was a necessary part of the intended game swap system.) He’ll have to comment further as I had nothing to do with Full Throttle.

8 months later
#931 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Anyone experienced game stop on Alien during gameplay and go back to the attract mode?
Seems to happen on mine when multi running or queen nest.

Mentioning Queens Nest may be a clue... do you have the backbox beacon? If so, try disabling it in adjustments, and see if that helps. Could be a power problem.

5 months later
#959 4 years ago

First thing I’d check is if the sensors are securely seated in their PCB. If so, a faulty sensor is certainly possible... not sure if they’re available from free-play.se (listed there as “limited supply”) and/or if TimeBandit reproduced them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien?tu=ferret and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.