(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Explaination of lighting labels Posted by bcd (5 years ago)

Post #423 Version 1.2 notes Posted by SunKing (5 years ago)

Post #850 Game hardware diagrams Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Post #867 Updated hardware diagram Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WeirPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#297 6 years ago

Having problems with the left flipper losing power. Sent the logs to Brian but no word back yet. Also broke the launch wireform and have yet to hear back about a replacement, but it has only been 2 days.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Have you checked your I/O board for the "error" light when the flipper goes week? Are the dip switches in the correct spot? I had something similar and it turned out they had the dip switches wrong from the factory. Once I adjusted them I never had the issue again.

How do I know they are correct? Is there a manual somewhere I don't know about?

Think I found the problem both flipper switch stacks were loose, no pressure plate on either. The left was so loose it was barely making contact. Think I'm going through the whole game and making sure everything is tight.

#302 6 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

They should all be "OFF". See picture.

Yep all off - must have been the switch

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

So now that Heighway's status is "stick a fork in them" I wonder what the chances are of Ferret or "someone" releasing FT code that's been ported to run on a PC instead of the failure prone Utilite?

A pc can't run real time hardware like pops and slings

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Heighway still owns the source code. Whatever happens next, it will be up to them or the future owners to decide what to do with it. It's not up to the developers.
As both ferret and I own the game, we are both interested in seeing updates beyond the current 1.2 release. But we can't make any promises until we see how this plays out.

Hoping this happens - would love to see the game move forward - Alien "continued" code!

1 week later
#387 5 years ago

If anyone has problems with the Xeno head tongue dropping the ball, the rubber comes off, then push the magnet inside to the end of the rubber and re-install. Mine got hammered in too far until it wasn't picking the ball up anymore.

2 weeks later
#452 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I reduced the power of everything in the game by at least 5% slings, scoop kickouts, etc--but the troublesome flipper I put at 25% reduced power. I also put 25% lower on everything labeled "Not Used" and made sure beacon, shaker, and other features I don't have on my machine are disabled or reduced as low as possible. No change. If anything, the flipper is dying out sooner than before since now it's happening early in the first game, usually ball 2. Maybe the ball is activating a feature or contacting something on the playfield that is causing that flipper to shut down?

Did you check the flipper button switches in the cab? Mine came unscrewed and my left flipper wasn't always making contact so it seemed like it would die.

#455 5 years ago

This is an essential part they left off the switches, and they used the wrong screws - should be pan head...

IMG_7094 (resized).JPGIMG_7094 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#527 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

It seems that there still might a problem remaining with my Alien.
In test mode the left post does not come up at all.
But maybe I am testing this in a wrong way as I do not understand, why the test menu here gives the opportunity to launch a ball - the ball launcher would hit the ball in the rubber damper in any case?
Some pics of the left post's coil attached - they seem ok to me.
Sorry for being a nuisance in this thread, I am sure soon the issues with my Alien are sorted and I won't be asking that many questions!
Thank you again for any help!

Are you holding in the coin door button to give the coil power?

2 weeks later
#558 5 years ago

Made a webpage and repository for the software/hardware upgrades and re-image.
http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html

Scott

2 weeks later
#560 5 years ago

Full Throttle software is up on a new page. If anyone has installation instructions let me know and I'll update the page.

http://weirpinball.com/full%20throttle/fullthrottle.html

Scott

#566 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Hi Scott,
Send me your e-mail in a PM and I will send you the installation instructions.

Software update instructions for Full Throttle software version 1.41 loaded on the webpage.

3 weeks later
#639 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

How can you update the io boards from 1.3 06 to 1.4 06.
I have the latest version 141 software and 1,4b io boards.
But my FT has not the option to upgrade de io to1.4 only downgrade.
I need to upgrade board1. board 2,3 and 4 have 1.4 06.

I have the instructions on my website -
http://weirpinball.com/full%20throttle/Service%20Bulletin%20004b%20-%20Software%20Update%201.41.pdf
http://weirpinball.com/full%20throttle/fullthrottle.html

#647 5 years ago

I don't have a full throttle, but did you read the instructions? It mentions updating each board individually - so it looks like you have to update your 101 board. As far as the software update, I would try installing again and see if it takes.

1 week later
#666 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Obviously, the Heighway site is down so the above amplifier settings doc is unavailable. I though someone had re-posted this document, but I can't seem to find a link/reference to in in the Heighway/Alien threads.
Just curios if this doc is available someplace as I'd like to tune my amplifier per DDT's instructions?

If anyone has the document, I can post it on my website

#668 5 years ago

see the instructions on my website. I've done it and it works. Another thing I did was take out the drive on the computer and clean the contacts.

#690 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

[quoted image]

pdf version available on the website - thanks to Jvspin

2 months later
#784 5 years ago

I have 2 Alien replacement computers completely configured for sale - with memory and ssd and software loaded. Plug an play for spare or repair. Will have more stuff in the near future.

Scott

one left

Added over 5 years ago:

sold - may have one more in the future

1 week later
#785 5 years ago

Update on Alien parts available:

4 face huggers
2 sets of sling replacement leds
1 replacement (or backup) ssd drives for the original computer preloaded with software
1 replacement (or backup) memory stick for original computer
1 replacement led screen for the playfield - sold

#787 5 years ago

Guaging interest in building more fully configured replacement/spare computers for alien. It would take a few weeks to get more, but should be in the range of 375 to 400. Will come with memory and SSD loaded with 1.02 software.mplug and play. I have one left that will be available soon, but would have to get a new contract for more. I can also configure motherboards bought a that need memory and or SSD loaded with software. I have preloaded SSD drives available now.

Scott

1 week later
#802 5 years ago

Still have 7 back-up (replacement) SSD disk drives pre-loaded with 1.02 software. $45 shipped to US. If your computer won't boot, just take the plexi cover off (4 screws) take 1 screw out of the drive and swap them out. I probably won't make any more at this point since I sold all the extra computers I had.

4 left

#803 5 years ago

Anyone know the pinout of the individual leds for Alien? I would like to try and build a test rig. Soldering them is definitely a PITA

#805 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I found them relatively easy to solder after making a solder rig out of a foam pad, specifically a harbor freight carpet slider. Used that to hold the pins and then set the led on them and soldered away.
To test, I just swapped them into the single lamp base green bord on the left of the playfield (unscrewed it from the bottom of the PF). You can swap them out to test while the game is on.
[quoted image]

I thought about using foam, but didn't want to get any residue on the pins from the heat. Currently using a wood block. Sold the game, so I don't have an easy test rig...

#806 5 years ago

Still have 2 facehuggers left at 55 each and 2 set of 4 sling lamp boards 35 each set. Down to 4 preloaded 1.02 alien SSD replacement drives at $40 each.

Added over 5 years ago:

facehuggers sold
1 set of sling lamps left
2 preloaded ssd drives for alien left

Added over 5 years ago:

only 1 ssd left

Added over 5 years ago:

everything is sold

1 week later
#811 5 years ago

Digging through my stuff and found a set of beacons I had ordered with the quiet belt drive. 12V rotating beacons. $30 gets my money back and I'll pay the shipping.

Added over 5 years ago:

Sold

2 weeks later
#817 5 years ago

If anyone wants to get on the list for a new/replacement computer for alien (drop right in includes memory and ssd loaded with software), let me know. I'd like to get another 4 people to make the order so I can turn them for $375 each again.

Scott

#819 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I'd be in if it worked on Full Throttle

maybe we can figure that one out as well...

#826 5 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Put me on the list.

Got enough people to get parts ordered

#830 5 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

So this is a backup in case the original goes bad at some point? Has that been a problem with FT?

I have no idea on ft, just had people ask if someone could make some to have as spares

#832 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

AFAIK, no one at the company ever tested FT with the new computer. But it worked for me without any issues. In fact since I didn't have an ALIEN for the longest time, many of the generic code changes were actually tested on my FT before being ported to ALIEN.
I believe when we finally released 1.0, the FT code was stripped out of the ALIEN image. A new ALIEN-style package for FT was created and never released. I'll bring this up to the current ownership and see what they think about releasing this. The Utilite-style update packages won't work for sure on the new CPU.

Any info about the new/old hardware will help me see if I can source a replacement spare for FT.

Scott

1 week later
#844 5 years ago

building computers today for alien...

IMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPG
#845 5 years ago

Have 2 more pre-loaded ssd replacement drives for alien - if your ssd goes out, just take out one screw and drop the replacement in. $40 + shipping

Scott

#849 5 years ago

OK done with this build - I have 4 replacement computers for alien complete with memory and pre-loaded ssd - drop in replacement. 3 were spoken for, but if they don't follow up, they will be available. So, short story - 1 computer available now.

Also have a total of 5 pre-loaded ssds - drop in replacements if yours goes toast. Pre-loaded with 1.02 software ready to go.

Scott

#857 5 years ago
Quoted from PinChatt:

Scott,
Do you know if anyone plans to test one of these computers out on FT? I'm willing to buy your last one if there's a good chance it will work on FT.

I don't think it will be compatible with FT. I just need someone to get some good info on the hardware so I can see if we can get some ordered and built. I don't have an FT, so I have no clue what is in them.

#858 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Can someone confirm for me which board is I/O 1. I believe it's the one that goes to the xeno mech, but not positive. My game keeps saying it can't find board 1. Trying to figure out why. Thanks

There are a few I/O boards in the game. If it says it can't find one, I'd try the usb cables first - try re-seating them then if that doesn't work, try replacing them. Cheapest and easiest option to do first.

#860 5 years ago

Sold out of alien computers again, but still have 5 spare ssds pre-loaded with software.

#861 5 years ago

Got another request for spare computers - If I can get 3 more commitments, then I have enough to purchase another batch to build.

Scott

#864 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Could someone point me to where I can find the Alien v1.2 software download? I'd like to try and update my game and have searched without success for the location of the download.
Thanks

It's on my website with instructions

http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html

Scott

2 weeks later
#899 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Where did you get a spare CPU? I'd like to have a drop in spare ready to go if anyone is selling.

I'm putting some more together as soon as I get another batch from China. Should have 6 in a few weeks.

#901 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Ok i have a spare I/O board. I thought the issue with a spare CPU was the compatible software is not available for release?

If you are talking alien - got that covered, FT not so much

1 week later
#907 5 years ago

Just completed loading up the software on 6 more computers. Get 'em while they are hot!

Added over 5 years ago:

SOLD OUT

1 week later
#913 5 years ago

Check my post on the flipper cabinet buttons. Mine would stop working in a game and it was because of the flipper button switch in the cabinet

1 week later
#919 5 years ago

Down to one pre-loaded ssd for alien left. All configured computers are sold out.

Added over 5 years ago:

SSDs sold out

1 month later
#921 5 years ago

Been getting some more inquiries about another run of Alien replacement/spare computers - if there are about 5 buyers - I'll get cranking one one more run.

Scott

1 month later
#942 4 years ago

From my alien website "After you install the software go into the test menu and select I/O boards and select update. Do this for all 3 boards."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WeirPinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien?tu=WeirPinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.