(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Explaination of lighting labels Posted by bcd (5 years ago)

Post #423 Version 1.2 notes Posted by SunKing (5 years ago)

Post #850 Game hardware diagrams Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Post #867 Updated hardware diagram Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SunKing.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've created this thread to discuss the support that customers receive from Heighway Pinball. I'd like to hear from as many folks as possible - both positive and negative. I also added a poll above.

I'll start. Despite MANY promises from both old and new Heighway, I still have not received the updated parts I need for my Alien. I have a pre-production machine that needs updated LED's, a new Xeno mech, and new drop targets in order to update the software. Until then, I'm stuck on version 0.94.

So as of now, I'd give new Heighway a failing grade on customer support, and you may want to consider that when thinking of buying a Heighway game.

EDIT: As of 2017/11/04, I have received some good communication from Heighway. So I would give them a 'B' on communication, but at the moment still failing on following through.

#4 6 years ago

I posted on Heighways Facebook page, and received a reply from Helmut a short time later.

"Hi Brad, Sorry for the delay. I will get in contact with you shortly. Thanks"

So yes, at least for me, the communication hasn't been bad. But the actual follow-up .....still waiting.

#21 6 years ago

Well, delt31 just had his playfield LCD crap out on him... see his pic below.

29974151f23ac49798cbc454d398a59a9e446701 (resized).jpg29974151f23ac49798cbc454d398a59a9e446701 (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I didn’t expect he would look me in the eyes and lie so flagrantly.

Me either, but you are not alone. At TPF, Andrew told me several times that all I needed was a new board for the Xeno, and that it should be available "in a couple weeks". I asked him "are you sure it's not months away?" "No, no, it won't be months - promise"

I was optimistic when new ownership was announced, but here it is over seven months later, and I'm still stuck on code version 0.94. Turns out I need much more than just a new Xeno board. In order to update code I need an all new Xeno mech, replace every GI LED, replace the drop target mech - and I'm hearing a new PC too. And that's not to mention the other issues like the playfield LCD that doesn't work, or the broken facehuggers. I've been 'promised' a completely populated playfield replacement with new PC - was promised that would be in the container Cointaker received last week. ....I'm loosing count of the broken promises.

1 week later
#119 6 years ago

Just to update, today I received a lengthy email from Helmut. While he did not specify exactly when I'd receive updated parts, he was very candid of the current situation, and did assure me they are working on a solution. The frank communication was very much appreciated.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

From what others are being told, you'll likely need a full populated playfield replacement and new PC ... I don't think they have shipped any of these replacements yet. So no-one in your position has yet been served AFAIK. So you're probably not forgotten, though that does not excuse their lack of communication.

This is correct. I received a long, detailed email from Helmut on November 4. I'm not going to paste the entire email - but here are the relevant parts:

"I know your case and the case many others are an ongoing story and I work with the new owners together to get
as soon as possible your game fixed. Your game is a first-generation game which means it is very difficult to
update your game. We can't just send parts out and let the Customer do all the work because there are so many changes to the game and it isn't fair at all to let the Customer deal with it. Just to give you an idea of what we have changed on the games:
New PC, new xeno head, new xeno motor, new xeno PCB's, new game Software, new LED (no tower LED),
new cables under the playfield, new IO Boars, new playfield PCB's).

We are looking forward to swapping the Alien playfields out and to do this we need a special designed transport
box to make sure the playfield is not getting damaged. We had some prototype boxes here, but they weren't good
enough for our playfields. I have no idea what the plan is about the boxes and I have to talk to our design team
on Monday. I will have an answer by the end of next week.

Many thanks
Helmut

1 week later
#160 6 years ago

I received an email from Helmut. I wanted to note - this was the first time Heighway emailed ME - as opposed to replying to one of my emails. I also saw in the official thread Helmut called another owner today and worked through some issues, so kudo's to Heighway in attempting to address customer support.

As far as the content of my email ....stay tuned.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

As far as the content of my email ....stay tuned

In the email I received, Heighway's proposed solution was for me to pallet/pack up my game, and Heighway would pay to have it shipped back overseas to the UK. There, in their factory, they would repair it, then ship it back to me. At a minimum, this process would take about three months. ...not to mention the risk of perhaps never getting my game back. So thanks, but no thanks.

I am currently working with Melissa and Heighway on a better solution that we can all be happy with.... and so the saga continues.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I receive the same offer and felt it was risky on a lot of levels and not very economical. So I made a proposal to them.

I offered up three proposals:

1. I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for a new/populated playfield and PC (assuming this is under $2,000).
2. I bring my game to the Texas Pinball Festival in March, and Heighway / Cointaker swap out for a working one.
3. Heighway send me the parts I need. I’m handy, and have restored many old games to like new condition….so I’d be willing to take on the task.

...but have not heard back yet.

#171 6 years ago

Yeah, I know it should be covered. But I offered to pay because (1) I'd finally get my game working and (2) I'm assuming I'd keep the old playfield/parts as spares. I would pay through Cointaker only when the parts were available, so no risk there IMHO.

But honestly, I'd prefer to just swap out games at TPF and be done with it.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'd be cool leaving my machine with Shaggy

Of course! Clay is world renowned as a pinball repair guru - err - NINJA~! I'd be happy with that solution as well.

...any word from Heighway yet?

3 weeks later
#182 6 years ago

Yep, I have completely given up hope that Heighway will address any of my issues. Their last 'offer' was to have my game shipped back overseas, where they will fix it in the factory and then ship it back someday. Yeah, I don't think so. Thankfully, I purchased my game from CoinTaker and Melissa has been a GREAT help. I can't say enough good things about CoinTaker customer support - like polar opposite from Heighway.

2 weeks later
#186 6 years ago

Since it's been a few months since I started this tread, figured I'd give everyone a quick update. The poll results are interesting. Honestly, I expected them to show that Heighway is terrible at support - but that's obviously not the case for everyone.

18% said support was great
32% said it was good.

...so that's exactly half of those who responded who think Heighway support is good or better.

29% said support was bad
21% said it was terrible.

I suppose my situation is much different than most, as I have a (pre)early production Alien machine that needs a ton of hardware replaced just to be able to update the code. After many months of back and forth with Heighway, they finally offered to pick up my machine and ship it back to the UK where they would eventually repair it and ship it back to me. ...hmmm - not a very good solution IMHO. I know Clay cfh is in the same boat - curious if Heighway ever responded to your offer of being US support?

Thankfully, I purchased my machine through CoinTaker and they have been VERY responsive. I am working with them on a solution, and hope to report back with good news soon.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

So, even Cointaker is having a hard time getting parts from them?

I need more than just a few parts...all the GI has to be replaced, the drop target mech, the xeno mech, the playfield LCD, the main PC - did I forget anything? ...it would be SO MUCH easier if I could just swap out my hobbled together pre-prod machine for a real 'yes you can update code' machine.

I suspect I won't be getting anyone in trouble if I quote this email from Heighway:

"Your game is a first-generation game which means it is very difficult to
update your game. The reason for this is your game is more a prototype and was sold from Andrew as a fully
working production game. He sold the games because he was desperate for money and lied to Customers.
Now we have to fix this to make all Customers with prototype games happy. We can't just send parts out and
let the Customer do all the work because there are so many changes to the game"

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

i just don't get it...

Me either. I suspect they don't know who you are/your history. Otherwise, how could they refuse the offer?

2 months later
#258 6 years ago

This past week's Texas Pinball Festival marks my one year anniversary as an owner of Alien - and four months since I started this thread. It's been an interesting year to say the least. Andrew made a lot of promises to me as we were discussing Alien at last year's TPF. He looked me in the eye and promised it was production ready with the small exception of the Xeno board. He promised that would be ready in 'about two weeks'. Months passed, and we all know what eventually happened to Andrew and Heighway.

I should stop here and give props to Ferret and daudioGuy (Joe and David). They tried to help, and were great with communicating what they could - not to mention the FANTASTIC job they have done with code/sound. ....to bad I couldn't update my Alien from version 0.94 to see it.

Once the new (old) investors took over, I was hopeful we would see an improvement in customer support. I continued to email Helmut (poor guy seems like he is trying as hard as he can under the current limitations), and also emailed the new investors. Helmut would reply - but I never received an email form the new owners. Despite all my efforts, I never did receive any updated parts. Turns out I needed MUCH more than just an updated Xeno board. I needed all new GI lighting, new drop targets, new Xeno mech, boards, new PC - not to mention the broken stuff like my playfield LCD, some lights and both facehugger tails. Heighway's best offer to me (via Helmut) was they would pick up my machine, ship it overseas back to the UK for repair, then return it to me someday...like many months later?? Not a good solution IMHO.

Thankfully, I purchased through Cointaker as opposed to direct from Heighway. I had been in contact with Cointaker throughout the year, and they also tried to work with Heighway. Eventually, we came to an agreement, and per the FedEx tracking, my updated Alien I should arrive TODAY!

So a big THANK YOU to Cointaker!! I am really excited to finally get to see this machine as it was meant to be! I guess I should also mention that a lot of people ARE getting updated parts from Heighway, so perhaps they are turning the corner. But regardless, I will never buy anything directly from Heighway.

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Balls goes into scoop and isn’t detected. During ballsearch it comes out of scoop, reshoot scoop and not seen again.

I saw this tonight as well. A reboot fixed it. I also saw a time where the shooter button stopped working. Again, reboot fixed it.

1 week later
#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Coming soon!

...in about......Two weeks?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

On another note - regarding support ..... My updated, actual production machine came without the EL side blades. The artwork is there, but the EL Inverter box and actual EL blades were not included. I'm working with Cointaker/Heighway to PURCHASE these parts. Let's see how long it takes to receive them - even with $$ on the table.

1 week later
#276 6 years ago

Here's a pic of the EL inverter delt31 sent me- the long silver box. I'm missing that part, and the actual lighted blades that install behind the artwork (don't have a pic of those).

On a positive note, I just played several games - and I'm not seeing any of the strange behavior I was a couple weeks ago. I was freaking out, because I'd invited some friends over to play 'a completely working' Alien, and two days before it just started going bonkers - spitting out extra balls, ending balls early...had to be something flakey with the ball trough. I cleaned/tightened it up - and thankfully it worked for my little party. I haven't turned it on since then - so had my fingers crossed when I booted up tonight. Came up fine and played several games without problems. ...fingers crossed I won't see that crazy behavior again.

I still have my Xeno disabled...so my game isn't 100% - but it is fully functional otherwise... I'll dig into the Xeno issues when I have more time.

20180329_213004 (resized).jpg20180329_213004 (resized).jpg

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

I *still* cannot get HP to even answer my emails regarding parts and support for my FT. I have owned the game for 11 months and I can't get any parts.. That is seriously messed up.

You are 100% correct. That is messed up. If it weren't for CT, I'm sure I'd be screwed as well.

I'm torn - came here to post positive vibes about my Alien, because it's playing great (minus the Xeno) and I'm enjoying the BADASS new code I've been waiting a full year to see. ...but hard to enjoy when folks like Radius118 are stuck with no support...

1 week later
#287 6 years ago

I don't understand this. Here is a company that needs cash, and could make some $$ selling parts - but they don't. I've offered several times to PAY for parts. ...nope... Why not throw up a quick store on your website? They can print replacement plastics in house easily. They could also stock other parts - like for example - the gear I need to make my Xeno mech work. It's simple plastic gear that probably costs Heighway less than $0.50. They could sell it for $20 and I'd still buy three.

#289 6 years ago

In an attempt to keep this thread somewhat relevant - here's an update. Helmut has left heighway. Also, Cointaker has suspended new Alien orders until Heighway can improve their customer support (sending out spare parts, providing a schematic, etc). I still have an outstanding support request, as my Xeno needs a replacement gear and I'm waiting for EL blades.

If you need to contact Heighway - here's the most current contact info I have:

Heighway Pinball Ltd
UNIT 35 RASSAU INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
EBBW VALE NP23 5SD
UNITED KINGDOM

T: +44 1495 305634
Email: [email protected]
http://www.heighwaypinball.com

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Here is the part to order.

Thanks! I'm not having any trouble now, but since I plan to keep my Alien long term - never hurts to have a few spare parts on hand.

#305 6 years ago

Ok guys, with Heighway's demise (please post about that in those threads) it seems we will need to lean on each other even more than before.

As such, here's some info on the gear mech that drives the Xeno tongue:

Quoted from SunKing:

NICE GUY ALERT!!
Many thanks to ilushka85 for taking the time and effort to tear down his Xeno mech so he could scan the gear. Want to know something crazy? My gear isn't stripped in the center - because there is NOTHING holding this gear to the motor other than some glue. Yep, just glue. Take a look at the pics below. The first is from my machine, and you can see how the motor shaft is notched on one side. Now look at the second picture ilushka85 sent me - the center is completely round. There is no 'indent' or 'tab' that would seat against the notch on the motor shaft - it's just glued on there.
I was tempted to try and re-glue mine, but ilushka85 is researching a better alternative. I'm sure he will post his results here in a bit.

Quoted from Ilushka85:

Yes so as stated above it is glued on. As you can see from the pic partyking posted of my gear, i scratched it up quite a bit in trying to pull the stupid thing off. Glue covers the entire shaft and thats what essentially hold its in place. The gear is a tight fit originally to begin with, but that will not hold it in place alone so they used glue instead of a proper gear with a set screw.
The shaft is designed with a flat side which is designed for gear with set screw to go against the flat side. I have ordered a bunch from china with set screw and with the gear made of metal instead of plastic (the drive shaft its teeth connect to is also metal). All in all it should be fine once they arrive.
For those who are interested in a replacement gear. It is a standard stock gear that is 0.8 MOD with 28T. I believe the bore diameter is 5mm but will double check it today.
I highly recommend whoever has this game to replace this glued on piece of crap.

Quoted from Ilushka85:

For what its worth i 3d printed this thing on PLA and ABS and have a perfect fit including the notch! No more glue required

image1_gear (resized).JPGimage1_gear (resized).JPG

IMG_4482 (resized).JPGIMG_4482 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#366 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I also hate the inductive switches. I have a few that need adjustment every 50 games or so.

Just curious - how do you adjust these? I had one that stopped working because it wasn't close enough to the playfield. Tightening up the mounting screws of the entire boardset fixed it for me, but would be nice ot know how to adjust individually if possible.

1 week later
#393 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Xeno appears to do all of its taunting movements properly, but no tongue action

Look back earlier in this thread - there is some discussion regarding the gear that moves the tongue. It is only glued to the shaft, and can come loose. If this happens, the motor will work/spin, but the tongue won't move. The fix is to replace the gear with a better version with lock/screw (I'm still hopeful I will receive the 3D printed version) or re-glue it.

#408 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Yes, ......

Very helpful information. Thanks!!!

#423 5 years ago

So...

I got tired of waiting for the 3D printed gear, and figured I'd just go ahead and super-glue it. While I was at it, I decided to completely take apart the Xeno mech and made a few adjustments. I also used some gun oil to lube it up.

Everything is working 100%

Oh, and despite Heighway's demise - the extra fine folks who worked so hard on this bad-ass machine have ummm...somehow released a CODE UPDATE

Version 1.2
May 9, 2018
Checksum 07141244

Changes since 1.1:

Bug Fixes:
- Improved ball handling logic when an extra ball is kicked from a ball device by mistake.
- Fixed switch processing bug that could cause switch levels to become inverted when the switch bounces between states very rapidly.
- Fixed occasional lamp bug when entering test mode during a game. Sometimes the game lamps would remain on. They should now always be turned off, except for GI.
- Fixed bug that would cause status of modes played to be lost if test mode was entered during a game.
- Fixed Ambush MB Super Jackpot lights not going away correctly at the end of multiball. The jackpot could not be scored; this only fixes a lighting problem.
- Fixed skill shot not starting if a game is restarted and a ball is already on the shooter.
- Fixed some bugs in the high score table module that would cause a player to be skipped entirely, or for their initials to appear somewhere else in the table.
- Fixed the Reset HSTD action; it was not resetting the game-specific achievements.
- Added some retry logic into the Xenomorph tongue movements to fix occasional problems where it would get stuck until the next ball search.
- Fixed Mother's "Advance Combo Value" award so it actually advances the combo value.
- Fixed bug where aborting the Mother Mystery display effect would not score the mystery award itself.
- Fixed bug where ball would never end if a tilt occurred after a ball was requested from the trough, but before it was actually ejected.
- Fixed bug where incurring a tilt warning at the same time the ball drained would prevent bonus from being awarded.
- Cancelled ball save attempts when the ball is already tilted, or the playfield wasn't validated.
- Skill shot timer will not start until the playfield is validated.
- Increase beacon pulse time during test mode.
- Ball search now runs the xenomorph through a complete ball capture sequence. This should improve the chances that it will reset correctly if a ball is stuck in the jaw or on the magnet.
- Fixed bug that would sometimes clip some of the counters displayed during Ambush MB or Sentry Guns MB.

System Features:
- Added blinking marker on the playfield diagram during Switch Tests.
- Render Pound Sterling, Euro, and Yen currency symbols.
- In Tests > Coils, the Start button can also be used to activate coils.
- Prevent games from being started if the Tilt bob is stuck closed. An appropriate operator warning message will be shown if this situation occurs.
- Changed text of "Top Playfield Lighting" to "Not Used".
- Added "INSTALL QUAKER" preset to optimize shaker actions for Quaker brand shakers.

Game Features:
- Partial credits accumulated are now displayed on the Dashboard.
- Pressing and holding either flipper will now show the main dashboard while the ball is on the shooter. This is not permitted on ball 1 when the flipper buttons are needed to select a movie. This will allow the player to see status prior to launching the ball.
- Added adjustment "Magnet Fling Pulses", which controls the number of times that the magnet is pulsed after a center shot. Default is now 2 (previously it was 1). Also adjusted default values of other adjustments to improve magnet responsiveness.
- Display timer on Airlock LCD during Loader Battle and Self Destruct.
- Moved point countdown display for hurry-up modes to the Airlock LCD.
- Added "Ambush MB Super JP Timer" adjustment. If set to a non-zero time, this controls when the next Ambush attack wave begins if the Super Jackpot has not been collected. Super Jackpot remains lit but has reduced value. Setting this to zero enables prior behavior where the Super Jackpot must be collected to start the next attack wave.
- Changed behavior of Recharge during Hypersleep Multiball: it now spots a lit jackpot (not Super) instead of increasing shot multipliers.
- Tweaked Hypersleep Multiball scoring.
- More orbit shots are now diverted to the top lanes when Vent 3 is lit for a mode or multiball shot.
- Improved display effect for combo awards.
- Changed text for some Mother and skill shot awards from "advance" to "increase".
- "Increase Combo Value" award now adds more value than before to make combos more lucrative.
- Combos and skill shots are now stopped on any ball drain.
- Skill shots are now stopped by shooting the Airlock.
- Reduced default strength of the Trough Release coil. This can still be customized via Adjustments > Coils.
- Increased duration when exercising the backbox beacons in Coil Test.
- Added Xenomorph loop test.
- Tweaked center magnet behavior to hopefully be better at catching the ball.
- Improved choreography of attract mode.
- Improved choreography of Mother Mystery awards.
- Improved choreography and callouts of Ambush Multiball.
- Improved choreography of Self Destruct.
- Improved choreography of Loader Battle.
- Added fanfares for All Out War lit arrows/weapons/vent shots.
- Added attack & repel lamp and display effects during All Out War.
- Increased brightness of GI lighting during modes, especially near the flippers.
- Rescue hurryup paused while the ball is held up.
- When collecting Extra Ball on the upper ramp, the ball will be briefly held during the Extra Ball animation.

IMG_4599 (resized).JPGIMG_4599 (resized).JPG

IMG_4605 (resized).JPGIMG_4605 (resized).JPG

IMG_4608 (resized).JPGIMG_4608 (resized).JPG

IMG_4614 (resized).JPGIMG_4614 (resized).JPG

#426 5 years ago

It sounds like the motor itself is frozen. Do you have the older (pre-prod) version, or the newer one? If it's the older, you can try a replacement:

Manufacturer: MotionCB
Model No: GMW32W0069

If it's the newer model - here's a link:

rinamic Motion Control GmbH QSH4218-35-10-027
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/trinamic-motion-control-gmbh/QSH4218-35-10-027/1460-1074-ND/4843425

All credit for the above information should go to knockerlover - check it out here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

1 week later
#459 5 years ago

I'm not sure where to get the updated hardware - but here's a post referencing the issue.

Quoted from bcd:

Check that it's version 0.94 to be sure. That's the only version of the code that supports this particular combination of hardware.

Installing 1.00 or higher on this equipment will cause two problems: the LED numbering changed, so the lighting will be all crazy; and the drop target board has inverted signals (drop down will be detected as drop up, and vice versa). This will also be very confusing and may cause the reset coil to fire continuously.

1 week later
#489 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Replaced it with a spare, and it's working great.

Where'd you get the spare LED?

#496 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You have a buyer here...

Ditto...

2 weeks later
#551 5 years ago

I've retrofitted my Alien with EL blade lighting. I was able to source the parts I needed from https://elpanelandtape.co.uk/ Here's a couple pics...
1 The parts: IMG_4839 (resized).JPGIMG_4839 (resized).JPG
2 IMG_4840 (resized).JPGIMG_4840 (resized).JPG
3 IMG_4841 (resized).JPGIMG_4841 (resized).JPG
4 Before IMG_4846 (resized).JPGIMG_4846 (resized).JPG
5 After IMG_4845 (resized).JPGIMG_4845 (resized).JPG
6 IMG_4849 (resized).JPGIMG_4849 (resized).JPG

On picture #6 - you will notice I removed the plastics along the rail. I figured if I was going to spend all this $$ on EL blades, I wanted to be able to see them.

#559 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Made a webpage and repository for the software/hardware upgrades and re-image

IMG_4861 (resized).JPGIMG_4861 (resized).JPG

IMG_4857 (resized).JPGIMG_4857 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#573 5 years ago

Anyone else having problems getting the pops tweaked correctly? I have a fix - just played a game and it's night and day difference when your pops actually work 100%.

The problem with Heighway design is there was too much 'slop' between the spoon and the skirt stick. For me, even when I gapped the switch super perfect - it still wasn't registering every hit. To fix, I loosened the two screws holding the switch and spoon. Don't take them all the way out - just loosen. On the screw farthest away from center, go ahead and unscrew until it's free. Find a couple small washers, and place them between the spoon and blue mounting plate - to be secured with that back screw. When you tighten it back up, the spoon is slightly tilted a bit towards center, and is more flush with the skirt stick. Now you can gap the switch - and BAM - Snappy Pops.

1 week later
#604 5 years ago

I've seen all these issues at various times.

1. The boot-up freeze seems to hit everyone occasionally. I see it about 1 out of every 20 times. As you mentioned, turning power off/restarting usually works. Not sure of any fix here...

2 and 3 may be attributable to bad or somewhat loose USB cables. First, double check that all connections are good and tight. If you're still seeing issues, you may want to consider buying some higher end USB cables and replacing all the USB connections to the I/O boards and CPU.

Good luck!

EDIT: hahah - I didn't see all the replies to this post on the next page - thought I was the first to reply. Glad I didn't say anything different than anyone else.

3 weeks later
#688 5 years ago

If that is the only thing wrong with our Alien, you should rejoice!

3 weeks later
#740 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Ball is in shooter lane but no flashes on test menu

Sounds like that may be your problem. Get that switch working - and I suspect your ball will launch 100%.

2 weeks later
#758 5 years ago

I had the same problem. My fix isn't elegant, in fact, it's kind of a hack - but it worked. Basically, the magnet strength holding the ball to the tongue was too strong, and the ball wasn't dropping off when the tongue retracted. What I did was wrap some thin strips of electrical tape around the end of the tongue magnet, and then some more around the sides to make sure everything stayed in place. What this did was to add more material between the magnet and the ball - reducing the hold strength. ....works 100% now.

#760 5 years ago

Here's something to check - take a look and see if the tongue motor shaft is slipping within the gear that's attached. This has been covered before - the gear isn't 'keyed' to the shaft - it's only glued on. Over time, that glue can weaken, and the motor shaft can turn - but doesn't turn the gear 100%. This sounds like what you are seeing - runs fine until it hits some resistance, and then seems to slip. If your gears are not stripped - there's no reason for it to be 'slow' unless something is slipping. ....I'll see if I can go back and find the original posts (with pictures).

Here's one of those posts: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/412#post-4337595

EDIT: I never did receive the promised 3d printed replacement. Instead, I just used some superglue to refasten the gear to the shaft. ...it's still working.

1 month later
#788 5 years ago

As OP I figure it's OK to post this here - the time has come for me to sell my Alien.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-alien-10

#798 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Why are you selling?

It's a combination of several reasons.

1. I have limited space.
2. I have owned Alien for almost two years.
3. It was time to change things up.
4. I didn't like having so much $$ tied up in one pin.
5. Bills, bills and more bills. I've got a daughter going off to college next year, my son is turning 14 this month and the wife wants new hardwood floors.
6. The market was right to sell.

I may end up regretting the decision...but...such is life.

1 month later
#870 5 years ago

EDIT: These have sold

A couple weeks ago I received a tracking email from Cointaker. Hmmmm, I don't remember buying anything recently. Another drunk purchase perhaps?? I just got Iron Maiden so ....maybe I bought a mod I don't remember??

I was really surprised when the package arrived, and it was filled with spare parts for Alien. Well, I *had* been pestering Heighway and Cointaker for spare parts since I purchased an Alien prototype off the floor of TPF back in 2017. But since then Cointaker replaced my proto with a true production machine, and I eventually sold that and moved on. I'm guessing they were cleaning house and found the parts with my name on them.

So anyway, I have two original Heighway Pinball I/O boards (ver 1.4b), a complete Xeno head assembly with motors, some spare induction switches, and various LEDs. Since the I/O boards alone are going for over $200 - I think it's fair to ask $500 (obo) for the lot. PM me if you're interested.
IMG_6256 (resized).JPGIMG_6256 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SunKing.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien?tu=SunKing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.