(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Explaination of lighting labels Posted by bcd (5 years ago)

Post #423 Version 1.2 notes Posted by SunKing (5 years ago)

Post #850 Game hardware diagrams Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Post #867 Updated hardware diagram Posted by Per_ (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Per_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#709 5 years ago

Adding large capacitors to the power lines involves some risks: During startup the empty capacitor draws very high current which may cause damage to switching power supplies (depending on their design) and in the long run also to the capacitors. So don't overdo it - maybe only one capacitor / less capacity is enough to improve the gameplay. Here are some explanations for those who are more deeply interesed: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva670a/slva670a.pdf

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Won't dive into parallel cap wiring benefits, but are valid...Solution proposed works fine, and inexpensive...Certainly not a hack....Great get Kneissl!!!

I also like the idea - just wanted to make you aware of the topic. Most switching power supplies (SPS) can handle overloads: Some limit the current, others shut down and immediately restart. And some even include a soft start. It would help to know the specs of the 70 Volt SPS, but i couldn't identfy the model. BTW the 12 Volt SPS in my Alien is this one: http://www.deltapsu.com/products/panel-mount-power-supply/PMC-12V150W1BA (mentioning "Start-up with Capacitive Loads: 8,000µF Max" and "Hicc-up Mode" as overcurrent protection). I might also have a look at a solution to limit the inrush current, but the high voltage is challenging.

Did you recognize that the cabinet board is prepared for the components of a transformer based solution: voltage selection, bridge rectifier etc.?

Quoted from Kneissl:

I experienced a number of blown mosfets after I ran thicker gauge wire from the power supply in my quest to fix the weak coils.

Wow, that would really be some kind of "dirty hack" to limit currents with undersized wire. I already asked myself if Heighway ran out of acceptable wire and planned the replacement together with the ridiculous thin 12V cables to the mainboard. But with the caps there should be even more blown mosfets (if it is current related)?

#733 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I see many things on the main board that weren't used.....truly wish this would have gone through proper engineering (even a schematic would have been nice).

I have to admit, that exactly these challenges are part of the "fun" I experience with my alien. I like to analyse and repair/improve things. I own my blue LE since 4 weeks and never played a single game . Currently I am installing a playfield protector which keeps me busy.

2 months later
#793 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

as the current one seems unmarked

My 70V switching power supply is marked to be a "Weho S-500-70" (70 Volt, 500W or 7 Amps). The S-500 series is listed here http://wehopower.com/products/s-500-ID29.html, but the 70 Volt version seems to be a custom order. Any switcher with similar values should work as an replacement.
Mean Well power supplies are well known for their reliability, but the standard offer also does not include a 70V model: https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=469

#799 5 years ago
Quoted from Flippers_com:

Like the game was originally wired for a 70VAC supply source - transformer based I assume - and they switched to a 70VDC CNC style power supply after the initial fuse/rectifier/regulator PCB design was laid out.

In fact very early Aliens use the same toroidal transformer as the FT. It deliveres 50VAC (resulting in approx. 65 VDC) at 6 Amp: http://www.antekinc.com/as-3450-300va-50v-transformer/ (the 15 Volt output was never used in Aliens). But the increased number of coils draw higher currents, so they replaced the transformer by the Switcher and disabled some components on the green power supply board. I am convinced that a 50VAC, 10 Amp transformer would also perfectly - if not better - do the job (with some additional modifications).
FT Transformer (resized).jpgFT Transformer (resized).jpg

1 month later
#850 5 years ago

I spent some time analyzing the I/O board and would like to share my current results with you now. I've created a document with a mix of diagrams, photos, schematics, tables and text (including many links to datasheets) that can hardly be published as forum posts due to layout constraints. So I decided to attach it here as a PDF file (which works well). I also attached the contained overview diagrams of the Alien and the I/O Board components separately, as they might be useful on their own.

I would be happy to get some feedback, especially regarding additional insights and/or corrections.

IO Board Circuitry.pdfIO Board Circuitry.pdfPlayfield Diagram (resized).pngPlayfield Diagram (resized).pngIO Board Diagram (resized).pngIO Board Diagram (resized).png

1 week later
#867 5 years ago

Here is the version 1.1 of my I/O-Board documentation: I added the description of a test adapter for live tests of an I/O-Board in combination with a (reserve) Alien mainboard. The I/O-Board works like a cabinet board with attached coin door switches, giving access to all setting menus including the coil, lamp and switch tests. Hope it helps...

DSC04346 (resized).JPGDSC04346 (resized).JPGIO Board V1.1.pdfIO Board V1.1.pdf
1 week later
#873 5 years ago

Tom,
the LED chips are connected in chains. If one chip of a chain fails, all following will get no data anymore.
The sling LEDs are all in the same chain B of I/O Board 3 (see http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Heighway_Pinball_Repair):
3-B7 GI Right Sling Bottom
3-B8 GI Right Sling Top
3-B9 GI Left Sling Bottom
3-B10 GI Left Sling Top
So if B7 (right side bottom) fails, all other sling LEDs will stay dark. During your test you replaced (by luck) the defect LED - so all were working again.

I had the same problem with the double LED boards from TimeBandit: one LED almost immediatedly stopped working. I replaced it and since then everythings looks good.
Those LED Chips are really cheap stuff - You can buy 50 of them for 3$ inluding shipment. So I am not surprised about the short life of (hopefully only) some of them.
LG Per

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Per_.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien?tu=Per_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.