(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 21.
#401 5 years ago
Quoted from shaneo:

ralphwiggum, check and re-seat USB cables to IO boards and Utilite, ensure IO boards are snug into carrier boards, if fault persists rotate IO board and retest.

Thanks, I should have mentioned what I have done to this point..... I swapped two IO boards, and the problem stayed at the same location, so I am confident the IO boards are working correctly. I also unplugged everything from the Utilite and plugged them back in. This just feels like a connector issue to me, but I can't seem to find where. When this machine was transported, the head was folded down and wrapped nicely to the body. Are there any connectors going to the head other than AV stuff that might effect this lighting chain?

I think my next step after checking any connections in the head is to pull the large PCB from the right side that the IO board is snapped into and reflow the solder joints where the IO board mates up.

#402 5 years ago

Check the power connectors to Io boards

#403 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Check the power connectors to Io boards

Can you elaborate a little more? Are you saying that if a power connector is not seated entirely, there is a chance the IO board would only partially work? I did reseat the power connector at that IO board location. Both IO boards exhibit the same behavior when seated in that controller (not really sure what that board would be called). They both appear to be communicating properly based on the leds on the IO board itself. The GI controlled lighting from that board is working properly, as are the switches, the only thing not working is the insert controlled lighting, the two flashers on the back of the playfield, the bonus lights on the back of the playfield, and the insert lighting inside the pop bumpers. Looking at this based on the board stampings, this would appear to be a daisy chain scenario where something is not carrying down the chain? The weird thing is that the inserts for the rollovers DO work, and they appear to be driven by this same board that is driving the other inserts that aren't working.

Thanks again for any pointers....

#404 5 years ago

Does anyone have an idea where the new type LED's (and clear plastic caps too if possible) can be ordered from? Or how they can possibly be replicated? I've got two games stuck on the old 5 SMD towers and would like to upgrade.

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Looking at this based on the board stampings, this would appear to be a daisy chain scenario where something is not carrying down the chain?

The lighting is indeed on a serial chain, so if one light on a chain is loose in its socket or otherwise malfunctioning, it could take out the rest of the “downstream” chain. Try using the Single Lamp test to identify the first light that’s not working properly, and then suspect that light or the one immediately previous. Certainly something could have shaken loose during transport.

#406 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The lighting is indeed on a serial chain, so if one light on a chain is loose in its socket or otherwise malfunctioning, it could take out the rest of the “downstream” chain. Try using the Single Lamp test to identify the first light that’s not working properly, and then suspect that light or the one immediately previous. Certainly something could have shaken loose during transport.

That's awesome Joe... thanks, I will run it through it's test and see what comes up. It would appear that these lights are mostly interchangeable, so if it turns out to be a flaky light, I could always put that one at the end of the chain. In the bulb test menu, when it cycles through the bulbs, does this tie directly to how the chain follows along a similar pattern? (I am assuming so, but you know what they say about assuming). I haven't looked at the flashers yet, but I am assuming these are the same style/volt lights, and not traditional flashers with different voltages, correct?

Thanks again, I really want to get to know the ins and outs of this game, it looks really incredible.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

In the bulb test menu, when it cycles through the bulbs, does this tie directly to how the chain follows along a similar pattern? (I am assuming so, but you know what they say about assuming). I haven't looked at the flashers yet, but I am assuming these are the same style/volt lights, and not traditional flashers with different voltages, correct?

Yes, single lamp test follows the chain order.

All lamps are labelled with a three-part identifier like this: 1-B2.
This means, 1st IO board, second chain (there are up to 3 chains per IO board, labeled A, B, and C), and 2nd lamp on the chain.

Cabinet lighting is slightly different. Start, launch, and extra ball buyin are simple digital outputs. Backbox and side panel lighting is controlled through the solenoid circuitry, similar to traditional flashers, but running at 12V. All of these appear in single lamp test at the end.

#408 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Yes, ......

Very helpful information. Thanks!!!

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Very helpful information. Thanks!!!

Agreed, this is awesome info and will speed up troubleshooting quite a bit. Thanks!!!!!!

#410 5 years ago

Big thanks to Ferret and BCD... because of this info, I was able to trace it back to an LED that has gone bad. No matter where I moved it to, the downstream wouldn't light after it. I pulled a LED from the back right GI that was the last in the string.... don't even notice it.

One last issue... I thought the game was resetting randomly.... It's not. My coils all stop, including the flippers when the ball passes over one particular switch. I have to reset the game to get the coils back. As long as I don't hit the left lane that goes back to the head/figurine, I can play all night..... so, reseat that switch? any other ideas?

Thanks again, I am so close!

#411 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

One last issue... I thought the game was resetting randomly.... It's not. My coils all stop, including the flippers when the ball passes over one particular switch. I have to reset the game to get the coils back. As long as I don't hit the left lane that goes back to the head/figurine, I can play all night..... so, reseat that switch? any other ideas?
Thanks again, I am so close!

There are two switches in the upper loop shot.

Are you able to go into test mode and produce a debug report (under the Actions menu) after you observe the error, but before powering off the game? You'll need to insert a USB stick first then it will write the report there - maybe that will provide some clues? If so PM me with the file and I can try to diagnose it.

The only coils affected by those switches are the two up-posts. Do those work otherwise?

#412 5 years ago

Thanks Brian... I will try to get this done tonight and shoot you a PM. I don't have enough time on a working game yet to know what the normal behavior is for those posts. I haven't run coil tests yet, just bulb tests, and now switch tests. All the switches pass the tests without issue. I will run a coil test next to see what the behavior of that up-post is by the driver.

#413 5 years ago

Hello I picked up a full throttle a couple weeks ago. Everytime I get a high score and go to put my initials in it just goes to this blue screen that says highway pinball and the code. Is there a new code I can update the machine.

20180518_123156 (resized).jpg20180518_123156 (resized).jpg

#414 5 years ago

I am pretty sure you are on the latest code. Have you tried a full factory reset to flush out any software Gremlins that may be in there?

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from shaneo:

... if fault persists rotate IO board and retest.

What does rotating the board mean and what does it do?
IMG_0274.GIFIMG_0274.GIF

#416 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What does rotating the board mean and what does it do?

He just meant to switch the io board with another one of the io boards to see if the problem followed the io board.

#417 5 years ago

I did a factory reset and it worked. Thanks.

#418 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Thanks Brian... I will try to get this done tonight and shoot you a PM. I don't have enough time on a working game yet to know what the normal behavior is for those posts. I haven't run coil tests yet, just bulb tests, and now switch tests. All the switches pass the tests without issue. I will run a coil test next to see what the behavior of that up-post is by the driver.

All coil tests worked fine. Went back to look over the cpu. The Heighway USB stick felt a little loose. Picked up the cpu, and the power cord fell right out.

I twisted in the power cord and moved the USB stick to another port. Played about 15 games without any issues. I put a USB extension cord in and a blank memory stick. If it locks up, I will run a debug.

Also, I have read where people are having problems making the right ramp from the left flipper. Watching this closely, the ball is hitting the bottom of the upper ramp. I will make a cover for the entrance and report back.

This game is super fun!

#419 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I was having the same problem as RalphWiggum. After finding every old tower style LED and replacing it with the newer style LED's every LED now registers correctly and is properly labeled in the "Single Lamp" test mode. <<EDIT>> Forgot that there is one light in the test mode that doesn't show where it is on the map--"Top PF Lights" (C-X6) doesn't do anything on my game. What is that? Also, is it a known issue that the "Left Upper Sling, Left Lower Sling" lights are reversed in test mode? Mine are reversed, but the right side registers correctly--upper lights upper, lower lights lower. Only game play issue left is to figure out the Xeno tongue not working. I'm sure it's been covered before, but once again, how do I test the tongue's motor to see if it's dead?

#420 5 years ago

side comment: ralphwiggum was the perfect person to get my Full Throttle. My heart sank when he started having issues as soon he received it. But, he's been able to diagnose things that I would never have been able to figure out. What a great pinsider. Deal with him with extreme confidence.

#421 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I was having the same problem as RalphWiggum. After finding every old tower style LED and replacing it with the newer style LED's every LED now registers correctly and is properly labeled in the "Single Lamp" test mode. <<EDIT>> Forgot that there is one light in the test mode that doesn't show where it is on the map--"Top PF Lights" (C-X6) doesn't do anything on my game. What is that? Also, is it a known issue that the "Left Upper Sling, Left Lower Sling" lights are reversed in test mode? Mine are reversed, but the right side registers correctly--upper lights upper, lower lights lower. Only game play issue left is to figure out the Xeno tongue not working. I'm sure it's been covered before, but once again, how do I test the tongue's motor to see if it's dead?

It looks like your upper/lower sling lights are wired backwards, at least according to the information that was given to me. The code looks correct. Not sure if all games are wired this way or not. I'll check my game and see what it does. This is the first I've heard of this.

Top PF Lights is a carryover from Full Throttle, which had an LED strip at the top of the playfield. Alien doesn't have this. In the upcoming 1.2 release this was renamed "Not Used" to make that clear.

To test the xeno, go into test mode, Tests, and Xenomorph Test (the last entry). Use up/down to choose the appropriate action. Choose "Shot" to test the full capture sequence. Press enter to start the action; press enter again to cancel it mid-way if necessary.

#422 5 years ago

Shot doesn't activate the tongue for me. It just gives a stuck switch error or retract error. The "Breathe" test also doesn't do anything. The rest of the tests look to be correct, aside from anything that would involve movement of the tongue.

An unrelated issue I've just rediscovered after it not popping up since I first got the game is that the upper right flipper will work fine on ball one but about a minute into ball #2 it will die. Finish the game and start another and it still doesn't work. Turn off the game, jiggle the EOS wire that connects to the large middle board and turn the game back on, it works fine again until ball #2. Strange. Edit: Played a few games trying to diagnose it and thought I had it working. Got to "How did they cut the power" quote and my flipper went out. Added realism there

#423 5 years ago

So...

I got tired of waiting for the 3D printed gear, and figured I'd just go ahead and super-glue it. While I was at it, I decided to completely take apart the Xeno mech and made a few adjustments. I also used some gun oil to lube it up.

Everything is working 100%

Oh, and despite Heighway's demise - the extra fine folks who worked so hard on this bad-ass machine have ummm...somehow released a CODE UPDATE

Version 1.2
May 9, 2018
Checksum 07141244

Changes since 1.1:

Bug Fixes:
- Improved ball handling logic when an extra ball is kicked from a ball device by mistake.
- Fixed switch processing bug that could cause switch levels to become inverted when the switch bounces between states very rapidly.
- Fixed occasional lamp bug when entering test mode during a game. Sometimes the game lamps would remain on. They should now always be turned off, except for GI.
- Fixed bug that would cause status of modes played to be lost if test mode was entered during a game.
- Fixed Ambush MB Super Jackpot lights not going away correctly at the end of multiball. The jackpot could not be scored; this only fixes a lighting problem.
- Fixed skill shot not starting if a game is restarted and a ball is already on the shooter.
- Fixed some bugs in the high score table module that would cause a player to be skipped entirely, or for their initials to appear somewhere else in the table.
- Fixed the Reset HSTD action; it was not resetting the game-specific achievements.
- Added some retry logic into the Xenomorph tongue movements to fix occasional problems where it would get stuck until the next ball search.
- Fixed Mother's "Advance Combo Value" award so it actually advances the combo value.
- Fixed bug where aborting the Mother Mystery display effect would not score the mystery award itself.
- Fixed bug where ball would never end if a tilt occurred after a ball was requested from the trough, but before it was actually ejected.
- Fixed bug where incurring a tilt warning at the same time the ball drained would prevent bonus from being awarded.
- Cancelled ball save attempts when the ball is already tilted, or the playfield wasn't validated.
- Skill shot timer will not start until the playfield is validated.
- Increase beacon pulse time during test mode.
- Ball search now runs the xenomorph through a complete ball capture sequence. This should improve the chances that it will reset correctly if a ball is stuck in the jaw or on the magnet.
- Fixed bug that would sometimes clip some of the counters displayed during Ambush MB or Sentry Guns MB.

System Features:
- Added blinking marker on the playfield diagram during Switch Tests.
- Render Pound Sterling, Euro, and Yen currency symbols.
- In Tests > Coils, the Start button can also be used to activate coils.
- Prevent games from being started if the Tilt bob is stuck closed. An appropriate operator warning message will be shown if this situation occurs.
- Changed text of "Top Playfield Lighting" to "Not Used".
- Added "INSTALL QUAKER" preset to optimize shaker actions for Quaker brand shakers.

Game Features:
- Partial credits accumulated are now displayed on the Dashboard.
- Pressing and holding either flipper will now show the main dashboard while the ball is on the shooter. This is not permitted on ball 1 when the flipper buttons are needed to select a movie. This will allow the player to see status prior to launching the ball.
- Added adjustment "Magnet Fling Pulses", which controls the number of times that the magnet is pulsed after a center shot. Default is now 2 (previously it was 1). Also adjusted default values of other adjustments to improve magnet responsiveness.
- Display timer on Airlock LCD during Loader Battle and Self Destruct.
- Moved point countdown display for hurry-up modes to the Airlock LCD.
- Added "Ambush MB Super JP Timer" adjustment. If set to a non-zero time, this controls when the next Ambush attack wave begins if the Super Jackpot has not been collected. Super Jackpot remains lit but has reduced value. Setting this to zero enables prior behavior where the Super Jackpot must be collected to start the next attack wave.
- Changed behavior of Recharge during Hypersleep Multiball: it now spots a lit jackpot (not Super) instead of increasing shot multipliers.
- Tweaked Hypersleep Multiball scoring.
- More orbit shots are now diverted to the top lanes when Vent 3 is lit for a mode or multiball shot.
- Improved display effect for combo awards.
- Changed text for some Mother and skill shot awards from "advance" to "increase".
- "Increase Combo Value" award now adds more value than before to make combos more lucrative.
- Combos and skill shots are now stopped on any ball drain.
- Skill shots are now stopped by shooting the Airlock.
- Reduced default strength of the Trough Release coil. This can still be customized via Adjustments > Coils.
- Increased duration when exercising the backbox beacons in Coil Test.
- Added Xenomorph loop test.
- Tweaked center magnet behavior to hopefully be better at catching the ball.
- Improved choreography of attract mode.
- Improved choreography of Mother Mystery awards.
- Improved choreography and callouts of Ambush Multiball.
- Improved choreography of Self Destruct.
- Improved choreography of Loader Battle.
- Added fanfares for All Out War lit arrows/weapons/vent shots.
- Added attack & repel lamp and display effects during All Out War.
- Increased brightness of GI lighting during modes, especially near the flippers.
- Rescue hurryup paused while the ball is held up.
- When collecting Extra Ball on the upper ramp, the ball will be briefly held during the Extra Ball animation.

IMG_4599 (resized).JPGIMG_4599 (resized).JPG

IMG_4605 (resized).JPGIMG_4605 (resized).JPG

IMG_4608 (resized).JPGIMG_4608 (resized).JPG

IMG_4614 (resized).JPGIMG_4614 (resized).JPG

#424 5 years ago

BCD and Ferret are "insane dudes" and they should be recognised for their efforts.

#425 5 years ago

Took apart my mechanism as well, down to just the jaw being attached. The tongue gear--will the motor still spin that gear with nothing attached or does it require the tension of the tongue bar pressing on it to move? My gear doesn't spin with nothing else attached. The old Xeno's larger gear doesn't spin freely--I can't move the tongue on it without using excessive force. When I put it all back together and activate "Shot" in test mode I can feel the motor activating which should turn the gear, but I can feel it locking up as if it's binding. With everything disassembled, I can place different amounts of tension on how it would all be mounted, but nothing is unbinding it and I'm not seeing anything that looks to be the cause other than the gear still isn't turning, so the binding would seem to be inside the black box.

#426 5 years ago

It sounds like the motor itself is frozen. Do you have the older (pre-prod) version, or the newer one? If it's the older, you can try a replacement:

Manufacturer: MotionCB
Model No: GMW32W0069

If it's the newer model - here's a link:

rinamic Motion Control GmbH QSH4218-35-10-027
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/trinamic-motion-control-gmbh/QSH4218-35-10-027/1460-1074-ND/4843425

All credit for the above information should go to knockerlover - check it out here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

#427 5 years ago

I have the newer motor. I'll see if that part fixes this.

#428 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I have the newer motor. I'll see if that part fixes this.

Before ordering, I would separate the motor from the xenomorph mechanism and try to run the "tongue" in test. If the motor spins freely then you have a mechanical issue with the stepper mechanism or gearing on the xeno head, but if it doesn't and you can hear/feel it trying to actuate than the issue is likely in the motor itself.

#429 5 years ago

I just did that and I can feel the motor activate which should turn the gear, but nothing happens. After reading about stepper motors and judging by how the original mechanism's gear is locked into place while it is out of the machine and has nothing acting on it, I probably broke the motor's ability to lock the gear while it is at rest with nothing acting on it.

#430 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I just did that and I can feel the motor activate which should turn the gear, but nothing happens. After reading about stepper motors and judging by how the original mechanism's gear is locked into place while it is out of the machine and has nothing acting on it, I probably broke the motor's ability to lock the gear while it is at rest with nothing acting on it.

How do you think you broke it?

#431 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

How do you think you broke it?

Would manually activating the jaw/tongue parts before it's installed break the motor's locking action? Isn't it supposed to be locked into place and the gear stuck in a fixed position when no power is applied to it? That's how my old mechanism is, so since the new one isn't like that, I would imagine something isn't right.

#432 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Would manually activating the jaw/tongue parts before it's installed break the motor's locking action? Isn't it supposed to be locked into place and the gear stuck in a fixed position when no power is applied to it? That's how my old mechanism is, so since the new one isn't like that, I would imagine something isn't right.

By manually activating it, I meant via the test menu, not turning it by hand.

If you go into the tests for the xenomorph head on the 1.2 code, you can activate different tests that use the tongue.

#433 5 years ago

By manually activating it, I meant via the test menu, not turning it by hand.
If you go into the tests for the xenomorph head on the 1.2 code, you can activate different tests that use the tongue.

I understand. I've done it that way as well. When everything is connected and in test mode, I can activate "Shot" and feel the motor engage as if it should move the tongue, but it doesn't. The gear and the bar that the gear rests on doesn't spin unless I manually move the tongue. The motor never seems to activate a lock function to keep the tongue in place.

I was talking about how when both the old mechanism and new mechanism are disconnected from the machine the old mechanism's motor seems to be locked into place--the only way to move the tongue in and out of the old mechanism is to use pliers to turn the gear which seems to be forcefully grinding the gears of the motor. On the new mechanism, it can be moved freely, so I was assuming that the new motor's locking mechanism is now faulty.

#434 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I understand. I've done it that way as well. When everything is connected and in test mode, I can activate "Shot" and feel the motor engage as if it should move the tongue, but it doesn't. The gear and the bar that the gear rests on doesn't spin unless I manually move the tongue. The motor never seems to activate a lock function to keep the tongue in place.
I was talking about how when both the old mechanism and new mechanism are disconnected from the machine the old mechanism's motor seems to be locked into place--the only way to move the tongue in and out of the old mechanism is to use pliers to turn the gear which seems to be forcefully grinding the gears of the motor. On the new mechanism, it can be moved freely, so I was assuming that the new motor's locking mechanism is now faulty.

Sounds like your gearbox is jammed up.. sounds like a replacement motor/box is in your future.

#435 5 years ago

Part ordered and for now, that issue will marinate for a bit. Any ideas as to why my upper right flipper would cut out after a game or two? Reboot the machine and the flipper will work fine again for a game or two. Doesn't sound like a connector issue, does it? I was hoping the update to 1.2 would reset any wonky stuff going on with my software or boards, but the issue persists.

It sounds like my machine is a mess of errors, but if the Xeno and this flipper issue are fixed, there isn't anything other than cosmetics and tidying up the wiring under the playfield. Game plays fine for me beyond the two items being discussed here.

#436 5 years ago

When the UR flipper dies, do lights in that area also “freeze” (not necessarily go dark, but stop updating)?

Next time the flipper dies, try immediately hitting the operator Enter button, and let it scroll through the info pages... it should indicate if an IOBoard is missing.

#437 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Version 1.2
May 9, 2018
Checksum 07141244

Changes since 1.1:

Bug Fixes:
- Improved ball handling logic when an extra ball is kicked from a ball device by mistake.
- Fixed switch processing bug that could cause switch levels to become inverted when the switch bounces between states very rapidly.
- Fixed occasional lamp bug when entering test mode during a game. Sometimes the game lamps would remain on. They should now always be turned off, except for GI.
- Fixed bug that would cause status of modes played to be lost if test mode was entered during a game.
- Fixed Ambush MB Super Jackpot lights not going away correctly at the end of multiball. The jackpot could not be scored; this only fixes a lighting problem.
- Fixed skill shot not starting if a game is restarted and a ball is already on the shooter.
- Fixed some bugs in the high score table module that would cause a player to be skipped entirely, or for their initials to appear somewhere else in the table.
- Fixed the Reset HSTD action; it was not resetting the game-specific achievements.
- Added some retry logic into the Xenomorph tongue movements to fix occasional problems where it would get stuck until the next ball search.
- Fixed Mother's "Advance Combo Value" award so it actually advances the combo value.
- Fixed bug where aborting the Mother Mystery display effect would not score the mystery award itself.
- Fixed bug where ball would never end if a tilt occurred after a ball was requested from the trough, but before it was actually ejected.
- Fixed bug where incurring a tilt warning at the same time the ball drained would prevent bonus from being awarded.
- Cancelled ball save attempts when the ball is already tilted, or the playfield wasn't validated.
- Skill shot timer will not start until the playfield is validated.
- Increase beacon pulse time during test mode.
- Ball search now runs the xenomorph through a complete ball capture sequence. This should improve the chances that it will reset correctly if a ball is stuck in the jaw or on the magnet.
- Fixed bug that would sometimes clip some of the counters displayed during Ambush MB or Sentry Guns MB.

System Features:
- Added blinking marker on the playfield diagram during Switch Tests.
- Render Pound Sterling, Euro, and Yen currency symbols.
- In Tests > Coils, the Start button can also be used to activate coils.
- Prevent games from being started if the Tilt bob is stuck closed. An appropriate operator warning message will be shown if this situation occurs.
- Changed text of "Top Playfield Lighting" to "Not Used".
- Added "INSTALL QUAKER" preset to optimize shaker actions for Quaker brand shakers.

Game Features:
- Partial credits accumulated are now displayed on the Dashboard.
- Pressing and holding either flipper will now show the main dashboard while the ball is on the shooter. This is not permitted on ball 1 when the flipper buttons are needed to select a movie. This will allow the player to see status prior to launching the ball.
- Added adjustment "Magnet Fling Pulses", which controls the number of times that the magnet is pulsed after a center shot. Default is now 2 (previously it was 1). Also adjusted default values of other adjustments to improve magnet responsiveness.
- Display timer on Airlock LCD during Loader Battle and Self Destruct.
- Moved point countdown display for hurry-up modes to the Airlock LCD.
- Added "Ambush MB Super JP Timer" adjustment. If set to a non-zero time, this controls when the next Ambush attack wave begins if the Super Jackpot has not been collected. Super Jackpot remains lit but has reduced value. Setting this to zero enables prior behavior where the Super Jackpot must be collected to start the next attack wave.
- Changed behavior of Recharge during Hypersleep Multiball: it now spots a lit jackpot (not Super) instead of increasing shot multipliers.
- Tweaked Hypersleep Multiball scoring.
- More orbit shots are now diverted to the top lanes when Vent 3 is lit for a mode or multiball shot.
- Improved display effect for combo awards.
- Changed text for some Mother and skill shot awards from "advance" to "increase".
- "Increase Combo Value" award now adds more value than before to make combos more lucrative.
- Combos and skill shots are now stopped on any ball drain.
- Skill shots are now stopped by shooting the Airlock.
- Reduced default strength of the Trough Release coil. This can still be customized via Adjustments > Coils.
- Increased duration when exercising the backbox beacons in Coil Test.
- Added Xenomorph loop test.
- Tweaked center magnet behavior to hopefully be better at catching the ball.
- Improved choreography of attract mode.
- Improved choreography of Mother Mystery awards.
- Improved choreography and callouts of Ambush Multiball.
- Improved choreography of Self Destruct.
- Improved choreography of Loader Battle.
- Added fanfares for All Out War lit arrows/weapons/vent shots.
- Added attack & repel lamp and display effects during All Out War.
- Increased brightness of GI lighting during modes, especially near the flippers.
- Rescue hurryup paused while the ball is held up.
- When collecting Extra Ball on the upper ramp, the ball will be briefly held during the Extra Ball animation.

Jesus...with all of those updates this shouldn't be 1.2 but more like 3.0!

#438 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

When the UR flipper dies, do lights in that area also “freeze” (not necessarily go dark, but stop updating)?
Next time the flipper dies, try immediately hitting the operator Enter button, and let it scroll through the info pages... it should indicate if an IOBoard is missing.

I just tried it and as soon as it died, I hit the operator enter button. It scrolled through a few pages but the list of I/O boards all showed as being active--no "I/O board disconnected" error or anything to indicate they weren't all being seen. The lights near the upper right flipper looked normal too. Power off, reboot, and it'll play fine again for a few minutes without even adjusting the connectors or messing with anything else.

I/O boards and IOC are all HW: 1.4 and SW: 0.9 versions.

#439 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Jesus...with all of those updates this shouldn't be 1.2 but more like 3.0!

The team kinda informally agreed that we would label it as 2.0 when it was *done*, when everything we'd imagined was in place. 1.2 isn't quite there, but it's close.

Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I just tried it and as soon as it died, I hit the operator enter button. It scrolled through a few pages but the list of I/O boards all showed as being active--no "I/O board disconnected" error or anything to indicate they weren't all being seen.

Hmmm, OK. So continuing the same line of thinking, at that point can you try going into coil test and activating the UR flipper -- does it fire that way?

And since you didn't mention otherwise, I assume when the game gets into this state, the other three flippers work as expected, it's only the UR that's inoperative, is that correct?

#440 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The team kinda informally agreed that we would label it as 2.0 when it was *done*, when everything we'd imagined was in place. 1.2 isn't quite there, but it's close.

Hmmm, OK. So continuing the same line of thinking, at that point can you try going into coil test and activating the UR flipper -- does it fire that way?
And since you didn't mention otherwise, I assume when the game gets into this state, the other three flippers work as expected, it's only the UR that's inoperative, is that correct?

It fires fine in test mode when it works in game, but once it dies it no longer fires in test mode. It's like it just needs a reboot. It's strong and works as it always has until it ceases to work without any indication. All other flippers are normal and the game can still continue being played as if that flipper never existed.

#441 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It fires fine in test mode when it works in game, but once it dies it no longer fires in test mode. It's like it just needs a reboot.

The upper right flipper is the only flipper on IO board #2, so I suspect something wrong with just that I/O board.

I'm curious if other coils on that board (vent #1/left eject, drop target reset) also don't work. There is some protection circuitry on the IO board that will disable all coils if it detects a fault. This might be kicking in and keeping all the coils disabled until the next power cycle. Sorry but I don't really understand how that works.

#442 5 years ago

I changed back to .08 on the Io boards

#443 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It fires fine in test mode when it works in game, but once it dies it no longer fires in test mode. It's like it just needs a reboot. It's strong and works as it always has until it ceases to work without any indication. All other flippers are normal and the game can still continue being played as if that flipper never existed.

The upper right flipper plugs directly into the middle PCB, and looking at the middle PCB schematics that flipper power is routed directly to the I/O board that piggybacks that middle PCB. I would do a complete solenoid test as bcd suggested the next time the flipper goes dead, my guess is the other solenoids are out as well. If this is the case, the problem likely resides with that I/O board #2.

You could carefully try to reseat the USB cables on the I/O board, and reseat the I/O board itself. You could also temporarily swap I/O boards from some other place in the game to validate this. Keep in mind, these connections are known to be fragile so proceed with extreme caution.

#444 5 years ago

You could carefully try to reseat the USB cables on the I/O board, and reseat the I/O board itself. You could also temporarily swap I/O boards from some other place in the game to validate this. Keep in mind, these connections are known to be fragile so proceed with extreme caution.

It's unlikely that the USB is a problem. A loose USB will cause the connection to reset, which will cause all LEDs to go off briefly and then come back on. It's very noticeable when this happens. This seems to be coil-only, which is either a power connector problem or there was an overcurrent condition that causes the board to disable coils. As it only happens after a while, and it is fine after reset, the connectors are probably OK, so my guess is it's a large power draw at some point that shuts down the board. I'd recommend going into the service menus and reducing the UR flipper power (and maybe other coils on that board too) and see if that fixes it.

#445 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

It's unlikely that the USB is a problem. A loose USB will cause the connection to reset, which will cause all LEDs to go off briefly and then come back on. It's very noticeable when this happens. This seems to be coil-only, which is either a power connector problem or there was an overcurrent condition that causes the board to disable coils. As it only happens after a while, and it is fine after reset, the connectors are probably OK, so my guess is it's a large power draw at some point that shuts down the board. I'd recommend going into the service menus and reducing the UR flipper power (and maybe other coils on that board too) and see if that fixes it.

Another suggestion on this note. Granted this is rare and likely not the issue, but it doesn't hurt to check as I have run into this once before with a flipper blowing a fuse. It's possible the coil didn't get enough windings when it was manufactured or it was mis-labeled (my case) so it's impedance is lower, causing it to draw more current. With the game off, measure the power and hold coil resistance on the suspect coil and compare to the rest of the flipper coils in the game. If you find the resistance is the same or very close then all is well. I would also check to see how hot the coil is versus the rest immediately after the flipper stops working.

#446 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

bcd my thought was if it is a "loose" USB that became disconnected only briefly, that the connection could become unsync'd and a reboot would solve it in that case.

I agree an overcurrent situation is highly likely as well.

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

I reduced the power of everything in the game by at least 5% slings, scoop kickouts, etc--but the troublesome flipper I put at 25% reduced power. I also put 25% lower on everything labeled "Not Used" and made sure beacon, shaker, and other features I don't have on my machine are disabled or reduced as low as possible. No change. If anything, the flipper is dying out sooner than before since now it's happening early in the first game, usually ball 2. Maybe the ball is activating a feature or contacting something on the playfield that is causing that flipper to shut down?

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

So...
CODE UPDATE
Version 1.2
May 9, 2018

Sorry if this is stated somewhere, but what's the url to get the update? I've searched for it (google, heighway website, this board, etc) but couldn't locate it.

#449 5 years ago

New motor came today. No change, same symptoms, so I'm out of ideas.

#450 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

New motor came today. No change, same symptoms, so I'm out of ideas.

Try turning the screw on the stepper board a little bit clockwise to increase the strength of the unit and see if it changes anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.