(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.
#151 6 years ago

Ohhh!...the BFB's! (Big Fuckin' Boards) Expensive, I've heard.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm referring to these light boards. Highlighted with red.

All the light boards have serviceable replacement leds that are through hole soldered. No biggie.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

All the light boards have serviceable replacement leds that are through hole soldered. No biggie.

AFAIK so did earlier LED boards. They failed quickly. Not saying they will be prone to failure, but if you have to replace them for any reason, and it's not covered by MFW, then I think you should expect them to be (very) expensive.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm referring to these light boards. Highlighted with red.

I sure the new owners are grateful for Andrew poking the stick into the wasps nest and rebirthing Rubberducks.

#155 6 years ago

Thought I would close out my open issue with HP. They ended up sending me the PF monitor replacement in 3 days (super quick) and I just installed it. Works great. Machine is 100% - even have the beacons installed. Great customer support from HP and CT.....

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

even have the beacons installed

I forgot. Are these the beacons from Heighway, or did you find your own and hook them up...They look great!

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I forgot. Are these the beacons from Heighway, or did you find your own and hook them up...They look great!

Thanks! I bought and installed myself (they are not from HP). They are the same ones Heighway buys and sells though. Mine weren't done at the factory so I didn't have a choice.

#158 6 years ago

More emails to Heighway over the last 2 weeks, all ignored, no response...

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

More emails to Heighway over the last 2 weeks, all ignored, no response...

Are you aware of this thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ok-an-alien-refund-request-for-clarity-thread#post-4072279

1 week later
#160 6 years ago

I received an email from Helmut. I wanted to note - this was the first time Heighway emailed ME - as opposed to replying to one of my emails. I also saw in the official thread Helmut called another owner today and worked through some issues, so kudo's to Heighway in attempting to address customer support.

As far as the content of my email ....stay tuned.

#161 6 years ago

I sent 4 emails. No response. Disappointed bigtime. Do not buy from this company!!!!

#162 6 years ago

Happy to say I was sent some more parts, so both my aliens and full throttle are working 100% now, glad to see communication in other threads on a path forward for machine production, and first hand focus on support of already produced games!

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

As far as the content of my email ....stay tuned

In the email I received, Heighway's proposed solution was for me to pallet/pack up my game, and Heighway would pay to have it shipped back overseas to the UK. There, in their factory, they would repair it, then ship it back to me. At a minimum, this process would take about three months. ...not to mention the risk of perhaps never getting my game back. So thanks, but no thanks.

I am currently working with Melissa and Heighway on a better solution that we can all be happy with.... and so the saga continues.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

In the email I received, Heighway's proposed solution was for me to pallet/pack up my game, and Heighway would pay to have it shipped back overseas to the UK. There, in their factory, they would repair it, then ship it back to me. At a minimum, this process would take about three months. ...not to mention the risk of perhaps never getting my game back. So thanks, but no thanks.
I am currently working with Melissa and Heighway on a better solution that we can all be happy with.... and so the saga continues.

That seems totally non-nonsensical for both CT & HW, hugely uneconomical for HW, as well as completely inadequate for you, the customer.

Why on earth, if they're now shipping half container loads to the US, do they not earmark a new one for you, and then CT can re-purpose the old one with new parts, and sell it for a lowered, 'reconditioned' price ... or just add a populated pf and new PC to the container, in a crate, and send that on to you.

#165 6 years ago

I receive the same offer and felt it was risky on a lot of levels and not very economical. So I made a proposal to them. Send me the stuff and I will upgrade mine. I will document the whole procedure and, if they are happy, become their North American customer service center. That is, you can send your game to me and I will do the upgrades here in Michigan. Opposed to sending a game back to the UK. They are thinking about it. I hope they take me up on the offer.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I receive the same offer and felt it was risky on a lot of levels and not very economical. So I made a proposal to them. Send me the stuff and I will upgrade mine. I will document the whole procedure and, if they are happy, become their North American customer service center. That is, you can send your game to me and I will do the upgrades here in Michigan. Opposed to sending a game back to the UK. They are thinking about it. I hope they take me up on the offer.

That is a fantastic idea!

#167 6 years ago

Sending a game back to the UK seems incredibly risky. Not so much because of Heighway themselves, but just the risk of bad things happening in shipping. Not to mention potential customs issues, etc etc. And it seems incredibly expensive too. I think they are wanting their games into the best possible shape, and letting someone (me) do an upgrade, they loose some control. But i'm offering to do it for free, and i think it's hard to argue with that approach...

#168 6 years ago

They know you're Shaggy, right?

top2 (resized).jpgtop2 (resized).jpg

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I receive the same offer and felt it was risky on a lot of levels and not very economical. So I made a proposal to them.

I offered up three proposals:

1. I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for a new/populated playfield and PC (assuming this is under $2,000).
2. I bring my game to the Texas Pinball Festival in March, and Heighway / Cointaker swap out for a working one.
3. Heighway send me the parts I need. I’m handy, and have restored many old games to like new condition….so I’d be willing to take on the task.

...but have not heard back yet.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I offered up three proposals:
1. I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for a new/populated playfield and PC (assuming this is under $2,000).
2. I bring my game to the Texas Pinball Festival in March, and Heighway / Cointaker swap out for a working one.
3. Heighway send me the parts I need. I’m handy, and have restored many old games to like new condition….so I’d be willing to take on the task.
...but have not heard back yet.

1) shouldn't even be a consideration, for you or for them. Andrew sold you (and others) those cobbled together, partially functioning prototypes through the company. They chose to take over the business as a going concern, so unfortunately it is now the new owners' job to make it right, not his, however unfair that may be.

Given that the biggest facilitator for all the BS that happened with HW was people's willingness to advance money when it was totally mad to do so (I was also guilty of that), it's just a generally bad idea. If so many people hadn't done that for so long, the mess would have been much smaller and fewer people would have been hurt. For other examples see Kulek & JPop. If people continue to do that, it will happen again and again.

#171 6 years ago

Yeah, I know it should be covered. But I offered to pay because (1) I'd finally get my game working and (2) I'm assuming I'd keep the old playfield/parts as spares. I would pay through Cointaker only when the parts were available, so no risk there IMHO.

But honestly, I'd prefer to just swap out games at TPF and be done with it.

#172 6 years ago

I'd be cool leaving my machine with Shaggy from this old Pinball. He's the reason I've been able to fix pretty much anything [Pinball]

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'd be cool leaving my machine with Shaggy

Of course! Clay is world renowned as a pinball repair guru - err - NINJA~! I'd be happy with that solution as well.

...any word from Heighway yet?

1 week later
#174 6 years ago

Are you guys putting Mylar in the pf screen? Or Around the edges? Is it only touching the pf screen or does it extend out onto the pf? Please advise.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Are you guys putting Mylar in the pf screen? Or Around the edges? Is it only touching the pf screen or does it extend out onto the pf? Please advise.

I did not have it on my Full Throttle, but I believe on Full Trottle someone used mylar to protect the screen and edges of the playfield. So the mylar should extend out onto the playfield a bit.

#176 6 years ago

We put removable mylar over our PF video screen, and overlapped it about an inch to the playfield.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

We put removable mylar over our PF video screen, and overlapped it about an inch to the playfield.

Would you mind linking me to this removable Mylar?

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Would you mind linking me to this removable Mylar?

Just Google, clear static cling vinyl. Comes in rolls or sheets but I prefer the 9 x 12 sheets. Most any office supply store carries it if you want it right away or search Amazon.

There's also a thread somewhere here on Pinside about personal preferences if you want to search for that also. I've been using it for a decade now and love the stuff.

Edit for Pinside Link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cling-mylar-sources#post-3999740

1 week later
#179 6 years ago

I don't think this has been posted here yet... there is now a service bulletin for Alien, written by the brilliant David Thiel, that gives guidance on how to adjust your Alien's amplifier settings to get the best results from the audio system, and also ensure that the coin door volume controls have a reasonable range.

http://www.heighwaypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/AlienAmplifierSettings.pdf

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I don't think this has been posted here yet... there is now a service bulletin for Alien, written by the brilliant David Thiel, that gives guidance on how to adjust your Alien's amplifier settings to get the best results from the audio system, and also ensure that the coin door volume controls have a reasonable range.
http://www.heighwaypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/AlienAmplifierSettings.pdf

You guys are great! Ferret daudioguy Heighway should be proud (and I think they are) to have you in the team.

#181 6 years ago

Heighway has gone dark again. For a moment there i was very excited. My hopes are dashing though... Sigh i wish they would respond to my emails once again... Please Helmut???

#182 6 years ago

Yep, I have completely given up hope that Heighway will address any of my issues. Their last 'offer' was to have my game shipped back overseas, where they will fix it in the factory and then ship it back someday. Yeah, I don't think so. Thankfully, I purchased my game from CoinTaker and Melissa has been a GREAT help. I can't say enough good things about CoinTaker customer support - like polar opposite from Heighway.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Yep, I have completely given up hope that Heighway will address any of my issues. Their last 'offer' was to have my game shipped back overseas, where they will fix it in the factory and then ship it back someday. Yeah, I don't think so. Thankfully, I purchased my game from cointaker and Melissa has been a GREAT help. I can't say enough good things about cointaker customer support - like polar opposite from Heighway.

They can't pay people refunds, but will pay to ship your game overseas and back? Crazy. They should ship Cointaker the parts and have them fix issues in the states. They are also spending funds on a NEW game to be released, but can't even fulfill FT and Alien orders? This entire business model is crazy and unacceptable. What a mess!

#184 6 years ago

These stories about Heighway support are very concerning and will prevent new sales as they are scaring potential buyers away. Alien looks very cool but I wouldn't even considering buying one when they are not supporting the games properly, and not replying to customer emails in a reasonable (or never) amount of time.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

These stories about Heighway support are very concerning and will prevent new sales as they are scaring potential buyers away. Alien looks very cool but I wouldn't even considering buying one when they are not supporting the games properly, and not replying to customer emails in a reasonable (or never) amount of time.

I have always liked FT and there is a nice one at a good price near me, but the fact there will be no code and part support is just killing it for me.

2 weeks later
#186 6 years ago

Since it's been a few months since I started this tread, figured I'd give everyone a quick update. The poll results are interesting. Honestly, I expected them to show that Heighway is terrible at support - but that's obviously not the case for everyone.

18% said support was great
32% said it was good.

...so that's exactly half of those who responded who think Heighway support is good or better.

29% said support was bad
21% said it was terrible.

I suppose my situation is much different than most, as I have a (pre)early production Alien machine that needs a ton of hardware replaced just to be able to update the code. After many months of back and forth with Heighway, they finally offered to pick up my machine and ship it back to the UK where they would eventually repair it and ship it back to me. ...hmmm - not a very good solution IMHO. I know Clay cfh is in the same boat - curious if Heighway ever responded to your offer of being US support?

Thankfully, I purchased my machine through CoinTaker and they have been VERY responsive. I am working with them on a solution, and hope to report back with good news soon.

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Thankfully, I purchased my machine through cointaker and they have been VERY responsive. I am working with them on a solution, and hope to report back with good news soon.

So, even Cointaker is having a hard time getting parts from them?

#188 6 years ago

I just opened a new alien from the shipment that arrived a few days ago to ct,I have to admit I was nervous about the game but I decided to go for it,I own a ft and it has been very fun and solid,good news is alien is working 100% working after a few loose wires were corrected and the game is fantastic but very very dark,it makes a stock Woz look like a new crazy bright stern,I hope everybody gets there games sorted and others get a chance to play this pin.

#189 6 years ago

I Question about the game,mine does not have the pop bumper mag,it is gone,is this new

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I Question about the game,mine does not have the pop bumper mag,it is gone,is this new

Glad to hear you have been problem free. Not sure I understand the question though. I can check my pops to see if I see a diff.

I wonder if CT has extras and anyone can get one. Would be great to see. This game will turn heads especially after all the stern recycles.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I need more than just a few parts...all the GI has to be replaced, the drop target mech, the xeno mech, the playfield LCD, the main PC - did I forget anything? ...it would be SO MUCH easier if I could just swap out my hobbled together pre-prod machine for a real 'yes you can update code' machine.

I suspect I won't be getting anyone in trouble if I quote this email from Heighway:

"Your game is a first-generation game which means it is very difficult to
update your game. The reason for this is your game is more a prototype and was sold from Andrew as a fully
working production game. He sold the games because he was desperate for money and lied to Customers.
Now we have to fix this to make all Customers with prototype games happy. We can't just send parts out and
let the Customer do all the work because there are so many changes to the game"

#192 6 years ago

Full Throttle audio issues ..

Turned it on one day and all you could hear was bass, and it was super loud. Drowned out everything. I have the volume now at 1, and it's still pretty loud. I had to basically turn the bass completely off. It was way to 'bassy '.

Plus a high pitch tone. Barely audible, but really bothersome. It would probably be louder if I turned the volume past 1.

Any help is appreciated.

#193 6 years ago

I heard from Helmut just before the holidays. he said after the 1st of the year he would be in touch. So far, nothing. I would really like to do that support (upgrades) here in Michigan for anyone in North America. I'm not sure why they are so hesitant to do that with me. I told them i would do it for FREE. i just don't get it...

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

the game is... very very dark, it makes a stock Woz look like a new crazy bright stern

whos laughing now at those 'dark shadows'?
barnabis collins, perhaps.
nick lane, for sure.
''ridiculous... night vision goggles don't come with this game"
during the stream, even with what appears to be a couple extra external lighting fixtures turned on, the upper right fipper can hardly be seen - even when it is moving.

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

i just don't get it...

Me either. I suspect they don't know who you are/your history. Otherwise, how could they refuse the offer?

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

the upper right fipper can hardly be seen - even when it is moving.
» YouTube video

Uh oh, greenhornet is onto the upper right flipper again.

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I think we have very similar concerns... I'm less concerned about getting the pin (I think that's going to happen), I'm worried if I received a compromised creation that will have ongoing problems that will be difficult to service. Are you still in @spfxted?

#198 6 years ago

Heard from helmet today!! He says he’s getting the parts together for my game and will ship them out shortly. I again extend the offer to do United States upgrades for them. Let’s see where this goes...

#199 6 years ago

I am loving my new aliens but could not see the ball so I installed some cheep stadium lighting,I also lost some ambience but ordered some inline devices that can dim the LEDs,or should I go with warm?

#200 6 years ago

I am loving my aliens but I could not see the ball so I installed some cheep stadium lighting in cool white,I lost some ambience so I am thinking warm may be better,I also ordered some devices that can adj the brightness and I may him them down a bit.loveing this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.