(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.
#951 4 years ago

Anyone know where I can score original LE Beacons? Pinball life is out.

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks for this. Do you know if there's an English version of this website?

Here
https://www.free-play.se/en/cabinet-parts/misc-cabinet/alien-warning-lights-beacon.html

#955 4 years ago

Thanks, I have a pair of i/o boards coming from free-play. I had checked there but they were out of stock when I looked. If it turns out to have been anything other than a board issue I'll post back with what I found.

#956 4 years ago

Reading and searching pinside would save cash money .. there was a thread about the original beacons but direct from the manufacturer in China .. was 20 bucks or so .....

1 week later
#957 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Reading and searching pinside would save cash money .. there was a thread about the original beacons but direct from the manufacturer in China .. was 20 bucks or so .....

I went hunting today for it and there is lots of post about beacon lights but none of them look like the original ones.
Did you happen to have the link handy.

#958 4 years ago
Quoted from Saber:

For some reason lately I have noticed that the proximity sensors under the ball save hyperspace chamber out lanes on the left have just been activiating mid game in stead of when the ball rolls over them.
It seems to be random and it happens to both of them if they are light.
It has the effect of activating the ball save until the ball finally drains. So it could say register mid game then if you have a center drain you will get the ball back as if it had gone over the sensors. Not that I am complaining, who does’t love a mid game ball save!!!
I have tired resetting them and check the USB cables etc all all seems to be ok. They also work fine when a ball actually does go over them.
Anyone got any thoughts.
Could the sensors be faulty?

No takes on my little problem??
Don't even know where to start looking.

#959 4 years ago

First thing I’d check is if the sensors are securely seated in their PCB. If so, a faulty sensor is certainly possible... not sure if they’re available from free-play.se (listed there as “limited supply”) and/or if TimeBandit reproduced them.

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

First thing I’d check is if the sensors are securely seated in their PCB. If so, a faulty sensor is certainly possible... not sure if they’re available from free-play.se (listed there as “limited supply”) and/or if timebandit reproduced them.

I think timebandit was adding a trim pot? .... or auto calibration like other aftermarket eddy boards?

1 week later
#961 4 years ago

I'm the one person that actually liked Full Throttle. For years I've wanted one, but have always backed away due to the Heighway situation. Even though they're dead and gone, I've recently been thinking about this game again. From the standpoint of reliability vs. dead-in-the-water potential, should I even consider this game? I know there has been some aftermarket support for Alien, but it has much more of a cult following than Full Throttle, and I'm not sure how universal the aftermarket stuff is.

I don't currently have a lead on a game, but before I get further vested in the idea, I'd like to know exactly how risky it is to buy a Heighway game at this point. Last thing I want is a $4k paperweight.

#962 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm the one person that actually liked Full Throttle. For years I've wanted one, but have always backed away due to the Heighway situation. Even though they're dead and gone, I've recently been thinking about this game again. From the standpoint of reliability vs. dead-in-the-water potential, should I even consider this game? I know there has been some aftermarket support for Alien, but it has much more of a cult following than Full Throttle, and I'm not sure how universal the aftermarket stuff is.
I don't currently have a lead on a game, but before I get further vested in the idea, I'd like to know exactly how risky it is to buy a Heighway game at this point. Last thing I want is a $4k paperweight.

I feel the same way about this game. I actually like it too but not sure about the support. As an Alien owner parts that are available to work on FT but I know FT has its own specific parts too.....

4k is a steal for this game.

#963 4 years ago

Heighway is dead and gone ?! Oh boy, now I know why nobody ansers the phone the last 2 years .....

Right now you can cover most problems with parts, also on FT. Read the posts here on pinside about Heighway games ... the community supports great !
In Germany was also a FT sold for 4K in mint condition ... if you like the machine (for me boring) .. grab it, play it and IF you have problems .. they will be solved within the community. Otherwise we should all sell our Aliens !!

Muahaha .. sell the Alien .. harrharr .. never.

#964 4 years ago

It would be nice if people could help pinwiki with repair and parts information. There isn't much there right now. Pictures of the power supply would be helpful.

#965 4 years ago

In Finland one guy is selling his FT for 4200 EUR, but I have no clue, if he would be willing to ship it. I can try to put one in contact with him, if someone wants. The electric systems won't work right away in the US, something must be done for them, but I do not know what.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I feel the same way about this game. I actually like it too but not sure about the support. As an Alien owner parts that are available to work on FT but I know FT has its own specific parts too.....
4k is a steal for this game.

Disagree, they sit at 3500. If you change your mind few want it.

#967 4 years ago

Full throttle for sale on kijiji Saskatchewan in Canada

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from Saber:

For some reason lately I have noticed that the proximity sensors under the ball save hyperspace chamber out lanes on the left have just been activiating mid game in stead of when the ball rolls over them.
It seems to be random and it happens to both of them if they are light.
It has the effect of activating the ball save until the ball finally drains. So it could say register mid game then if you have a center drain you will get the ball back as if it had gone over the sensors. Not that I am complaining, who does’t love a mid game ball save!!!
I have tired resetting them and check the USB cables etc all all seems to be ok. They also work fine when a ball actually does go over them.
Anyone got any thoughts.
Could the sensors be faulty?

An update to my above problem incase anyone ever comes across it.
Took hours to nail down but got it all working now.

So a while back I changed the sling leds with TimeBandit improved LED towers.
On each of the slings there are two leaf switches one at the top and one at the bottom.
As it turns out when the bottom leaf on the left sling when back far enough it would touch the LED tower and for a brief second all the leds on the left would go out. I assume it was creating a short and when this happened it also activated the proximity sensor.
I tested on the other LED towers and there was no problem when the leaf touched them. It was only on this one.
So wrapped a little bit of electrical tap around the top of the leaf switch and BOOM!!! no more short and no more proximity sensor tripping.

Hope this might help someone else.

#969 4 years ago
Quoted from Saber:

An update to my above problem incase anyone ever comes across it.
Took hours to nail down but got it all working now.
So a while back I changed the sling leds with timebandit improved LED towers.
On each of the slings there are two leaf switches one at the top and one at the bottom.
As it turns out when the bottom leaf on the left sling when back far enough it would touch the LED tower and for a brief second all the leds on the left would go out. I assume it was creating a short and when this happened it also activated the proximity sensor.
I tested on the other LED towers and there was no problem when the leaf touched them. It was only on this one.
So wrapped a little bit of electrical tap around the top of the leaf switch and BOOM!!! no more short and no more proximity sensor tripping.
Hope this might help someone else.

Yep mine didn't short out but that leaf would get stuck under the top LED so I just put the regular back in....

#970 4 years ago

I have the ball sensors if anyone needs some

1 month later
#971 4 years ago

NOS cabs ............get em quick .........headed for the furnace

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/heighway-pinball-cabinets.44881/

1 month later
#972 4 years ago

Hello,

Having issues with our Full Throttle, During the game both flippers became unresponsive. We restarted the machine, but now when pressing the left and right flipper only the wheels spins and the engine revs. Also when trying to shoot the ball, nothing happens and there is no ball ready to be fired.

in test mode the flippers did not move.

Any tips or ideas on where to begin troubleshooting?

Many thanks

#973 4 years ago

Check the schematics for the responsible IO-Boards and check wiring and fuses.

#974 4 years ago

Agreed, this sounds like a bad fuse.

#975 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Disagree, they sit at 3500. If you change your mind few want it.

Ouch I'm gonna take a beating if I sell. But at that price if accurate, buy two and have spare parts if something serious goes wrong. There's a lot of value in that game for that price. Agreed that it's not deep, but it's a fast, fun game. Theme is blah.

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from sulakd:

Ouch I'm gonna take a beating if I sell. But at that price if accurate, buy two and have spare parts if something serious goes wrong. There's a lot of value in that game for that price. Agreed that it's not deep, but it's a fast, fun game. Theme is blah.

There is. I kept debating buying the one out in Colorado if he would go down to 3200, but he didn't and it sat for a year (seriously). I stopped looking awhile ago as I have too many games now.

1 week later
#977 4 years ago

Anyone have a suggestion as to what could replace the "CO10" flipper coils as there doesn't seem to be anyone that sells them?? Pinball Life and FreePlay both sell the low power (CO30) and high power (CO20) coils, but I can't find anyone selling the CO10's

Thanks!

1 month later
#978 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

If. Still interested I have a nice working FT in MD for sale can help with Fastenal shipping $4200 plus shipping

#979 4 years ago

Where are updates currently available? I assume Heighway site is null ,haven't updated in 2 yrs most likely ,don't have as much time as I like ,will never lose the passion .last time I played it it froze up on me ,hoping update might fix if it's a big, trying to update all my games during quarantine,thank you for the help ,have a FT aswell if update is available

#980 4 years ago

You know that Heighway pinball is out of business ? The chance to get updates ... mhhh.
On the aline is a little different, there is a very active community. Including the programmer who also ownes a Alien.

4 weeks later
#981 3 years ago

Where can I find a fresh image for a new uSD for full throttle? Does the uSD card need to be formatted or anything?
Thanks in advance.

2 months later
#982 3 years ago

I need an Alien expert!

I have a machine and it seems to work perfectly...except for the coils.

When no coil has fired, the next coil fired is strong as it should be...but if you fire another coil immediately, it's very weak and if you keep trying to fire one (like a flipper) they become weaker and weaker.

If you wait a few seconds, the first coil to fire is strong again.

I've replaced all 4 USB cables with double shielded and ferrite.
I have also done the capacitor mod.

#983 3 years ago

I'm in touch with my expert.
After lots of testing...the next step is to buy a new 70V power supply.
My expert is currently looking for a suitable replacement.

#984 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

I'm in touch with my expert.
After lots of testing...the next step is to buy a new 70V power supply.
My expert is currently looking for a suitable replacement.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32812372400.html

I believe this is the updated 70v psu.

Upgrade the buss wiring for 70v to a heavier guage, if it has not been done already..

2 weeks later
#985 3 years ago

With regarding to the power issue...here's what I've done.

Exchanged all 4 I/O boards with new board (I moved them around one at at time)
Exchanged Power Driver Board with new
Exchanged 70V Power Supply with new
Checked power wiring to each I/O board area
Updated all USB cables with new shielded w/ferrite
Added capacitor mod
Unplugged 1 I/O board at a time and rebooted (2 board wouldn't allow a ball to eject)

I'm still having all the coils lose power after repeated firings.
They seem to get weaker with consecutive firings....but if I wait about 4 seconds...I get full power again.

1 week later
#986 3 years ago

How do you update Full Throttle? I downloaded the zip file from Weir's site, but the contents of the zip folder do not match the instructions. If I put the thumbdrive in and have it run I get an error when it tries to update.

Did try burning the sdcard file using hddrawcopy to a new sd card. Insterting that into the utilite. Copying the targetsysupdate files to a fresh fat32 thumbdrive. Boots to two linux penguins on one screen and sits.

#987 3 years ago

Just wanted to update.

If the hdmi cables are swapped on the utilite it will not boot.

Burn a new sd card from the included sdcard image, my 1.3 would not work. Copy the contents of targetsysupdate to a fat32 usb. Using those two got it working.

4 weeks later
#988 3 years ago

I've completely spaced on this. Could swear that I posted this last night, but damned if I can find it. Anyways. Can someone put up a picture of your FT keys? I'm trying to pick the lock on mine so I don't need to drill it out. Having a little bit of trouble on it. Would like to have a better idea of what I'm looking at inside via the transitive properties of seeing the key

#989 3 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

I've completely spaced on this. Could swear that I posted this last night, but damned if I can find it. Anyways. Can someone put up a picture of your FT keys? I'm trying to pick the lock on mine so I don't need to drill it out. Having a little bit of trouble on it. Would like to have a better idea of what I'm looking at inside via the transitive properties of seeing the key

Here you go,

IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpgIMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpgIMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpgIMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#990 3 years ago

Hello, are the I/O bords for a Full Throttle still available ?

#991 3 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

Hello, are the I/O bords for a Full Throttle still available ?

As far as I know the FT has all over old IO-Boards.
So many people with early ALIENS switched to new boards so there is a chance to get usen old boards.
You should start an advertising here on pinside.

New boards are available but hard to find. Mr Pinball ustralia seems to be able to get them remade.

#992 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

As far as I know the FT has all over old IO-Boards.
So many people with early ALIENS switched to new boards so there is a chance to get usen old boards.
You should start an advertising here on pinside.
New boards are available but hard to find. Mr Pinball ustralia seems to be able to get them remade.

Thanks alot TomDK

2 weeks later
#993 3 years ago

Could a full throttle owner post some pics of the IO boards voltages from the test menu? My 12v is running at about 10.5v I'm wondering if that's normal ( I'm having issues with the game).

#994 3 years ago
Quoted from Willathrilla:

Could a full throttle owner post some pics of the IO boards voltages from the test menu? My 12v is running at about 10.5v I'm wondering if that's normal ( I'm having issues with the game).

What is that under? Mine is on the latest software and the io test does not show voltages.

#995 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

What is that under? Mine is on the latest software and the io test does not show voltages.

Pressing the right flipper button will page through some additional information, including measured voltages. I've seen 11.7, 11.8 before but never that low.

#996 3 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Pressing the right flipper button will page through some additional information, including measured voltages. I've seen 11.7, 11.8 before but never that low.

Thanks guys. I'm going to start a thread with my issues so I don't further derail this one.

1 month later
#997 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

How do you update Full Throttle? I downloaded the zip file from Weir's site, but the contents of the zip folder do not match the instructions. If I put the thumbdrive in and have it run I get an error when it tries to update.
Did try burning the sdcard file using hddrawcopy to a new sd card. Insterting that into the utilite. Copying the targetsysupdate files to a fresh fat32 thumbdrive. Boots to two linux penguins on one screen and sits.

https://www.gameroom.no/2020/12/need-parts-we-got-it/

By the sounds, Full Throttle owners have not been forgotten either!!

#998 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

https://www.gameroom.no/2020/12/need-parts-we-got-it/
By the sounds, Full Throttle owners have not been forgotten either!!

That is an old post to quote and is not related to spare parts.

#999 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

That is an old post to quote and is not related to spare parts.

I only quoted there because being a known FT owner. Where it has some specific reference to FT in the linked page.

May be older, but like only a few posts up though. The tread doesn't get heaps of posts obviously, but I thought it was worth spreading to here.

Also it may be relevant to the post anyway, as the reference may well infer continuing code support, and perhaps the ability to use the Alien PC.

#1000 3 years ago

Reaching man. Could have just posted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/20?hl=jeffreyjonesbsme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.