(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.
#901 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Ok i have a spare I/O board. I thought the issue with a spare CPU was the compatible software is not available for release?

If you are talking alien - got that covered, FT not so much

#902 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

You should see a reading of approximately 70000mV on each I/O board. None of them show that. Even on boards 1 and 2, you're only seeing about 12V.
I would check all of the wiring that carries power to make sure it is firmly inserted everywhere. Also might be a good time to pull out a multi-meter and probe where the voltage is falling out.

Sorry, that's my fault. Those were with coin door open and high voltage off. With the high voltage on they're reading around 71,000.

Here's where I'm at. I've got all I/O showing ok voltages. I've unplugged one leg of the plunger coil. All other switches and coils seem fine. With the plunger coil plugged in, the coil fires when the game is turned on and it will blow one of the high power fuses. The game ends the skill shot without the launch button being pressed.
The launch button seems to work fine in switch test as does the shooter lane switch. Neither show up in the active switches unless pressed.

The game auto firing the ball into play as soon as the ball was ejected into the shooter lane was happening intermittently since I got the game. I'd played less than 10 games on it.

Any ideas?

#904 5 years ago
Quoted from Willathrilla:

Sorry, that's my fault. Those were with coin door open and high voltage off. With the high voltage on they're reading around 71,000.
Here's where I'm at. I've got all I/O showing ok voltages. I've unplugged one leg of the plunger coil. All other switches and coils seem fine. With the plunger coil plugged in, the coil fires when the game is turned on and it will blow one of the high power fuses. The game ends the skill shot without the launch button being pressed.
The launch button seems to work fine in switch test as does the shooter lane switch. Neither show up in the active switches unless pressed.
The game auto firing the ball into play as soon as the ball was ejected into the shooter lane was happening intermittently since I got the game. I'd played less than 10 games on it.
Any ideas?

When I got my FT it would autolaunch sporadically as well. I found the wiring to the shooter lane switch was routed so it was super tight with no slack. I rerouted the wiring and tightened the spade connecters with some pliers.... Havent had a problem since then.

#905 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Where did you get a spare CPU? I'd like to have a drop in spare ready to go if anyone is selling.

https://www.free-play.se/en/game-specific-parts/heighway-pinball/alien/alien-game-computer.html

They claim the SSD might be blank, however, so keep that in mind....think there are some in the community here that can help you w that, if needed

#906 5 years ago

A bit cheaper if you get off alibaba

#907 5 years ago

Just completed loading up the software on 6 more computers. Get 'em while they are hot!

Added over 5 years ago:

SOLD OUT

#908 5 years ago

At some point could the proprietary board designs be offered for sale by the liquidator so another company could produce and sell them?

1 week later
#909 5 years ago

Hey guys, I just got an Alien SE today, I am running the latest 1.2 firmware.
Sometimes when I hit the bumpers my flippers gets disabled and the ball just drains.

Is this a part of the ruleset or am I having a different kind of trouble?

Thanks!

#910 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Sometimes when I hit the bumpers my flippers gets disabled and the ball just drains.
Thanks!

This is definetely not part of the ruleset.

#911 5 years ago

Hey Webdiddy

When i got my Full Throttle all these years ago I had the exact same problem.

I believe to remember that it was only a loose connector somewhere, maybe one of the USB cables.
Wish i would remember in detail, my man.

Good luck!

#912 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Thanks!

I'd suggest getting newer high-quality USB cables and see if that helps. They can come lose and cause weird intermittent issues,

#913 5 years ago

Check my post on the flipper cabinet buttons. Mine would stop working in a game and it was because of the flipper button switch in the cabinet

#914 5 years ago

I have a new problem with my Alien pin guys.
During normal ball play the through just starts kicking out new balls, it continues to do so forever it seams, everything else (flippers/lights) looks like it's working as it should during this.

Any clue on what could be causing this?

#915 5 years ago

I had the same problem with mine on occasion until I switched out the crappy cables that came with it for shielded ones. Works fine now.

#916 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

I had the same problem with mine on occasion until I switched out the crappy cables that came with it for shielded ones. Works fine now.

I have replaced all the cables except one, the one on the bottom of the cabinet, I need to get a new cable for that one too.

#917 5 years ago

It is exhausting to read about all this in several posts ... would it not be easier to post all this issues in only one post ?!

I am sure that most Alien owners read all the topics concerning Alien pinball, so there is no need to post the same in every thread !!

Good luck on fault finding !

#918 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

It is exhausting to read about all this in several posts ... would it not be easier to post all this issues in only one post ?!
I am sure that most Alien owners read all the topics concerning Alien pinball, so there is no need to post the same in every thread !!
Good luck on fault finding !

I'm guessing you are talking about me.
No, I post in different threads because it steams to that people are reading different threads. If it is exhausting for you just keep scrolling when you see my avatar.

#919 5 years ago

Down to one pre-loaded ssd for alien left. All configured computers are sold out.

Added over 5 years ago:

SSDs sold out

#920 5 years ago

This *might* be the code for the microcontroller used on the Heighway inductive sensors ...

http://www.micro-examples.com/articles/index.php/PicoDetector

The microcontroller used in that example is available in a package that seems to be the same as the one on the sensor. I can't see the part number on the sensor itself.

Also, if someone is making replacements, they might want to check out a TI LDC0851

http://www.ti.com/product/LDC0851

These are a lot less expensive than the microcontroller. They basically do everything the microcontroller does at a fraction of the cost. The catch is that you need both a sense and a reference coil ... however, I suspect if you'd mount some cheap, smaller inductors on the top and bottom of the board, this device would work great (put the sense inductor on the top of course) ... the cost of a replacement switch, in low quantity, including the PCB, should be ~ $1USD (that's just the BOM ... but even marked up 5x, you're still half the price of a current replacement ... assuming the chip would work.

Does anyone know what that three terminal device on the Heighway sensor does? Is it a FET?

4 weeks later
#921 5 years ago

Been getting some more inquiries about another run of Alien replacement/spare computers - if there are about 5 buyers - I'll get cranking one one more run.

Scott

1 week later
#922 5 years ago

Looking at buying an early alien and wondered what kind of cost am I looking at to upgrade it to use the 1.2 code? Are all the parts currently available?

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Looking at buying an early alien and wondered what kind of cost am I looking at to upgrade it to use the 1.2 code? Are all the parts currently available?

Generally yes all the needed parts can be sourced, cost really depends on what the game needs? Does it have the new 2 board Xeno design? Which LEDs, the 5 light towers? They won’t work with new code, so they have to be swapped to the one light design.

#924 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If you're really thinking of doing it, now is the perfect time since parts are available to get it where it needs to be! Worth the effort!! Good luck and plenty of people on here to help with questions

#925 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

You need favorite this thread also!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread

#926 5 years ago

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info. Looks like a pricey upgrade so trying to figure out where i need to be on the game relative to my trade and info like this always helps.

#927 5 years ago

I have the strange behavior: The sling shot led no longer turn off and one off them swith from yellow to white. They re not always changing colors anymore.

It used to work great. Any idea?
I checked the connection and everything was ok. I’ve changed the setting for the led power to the minimum. I wonder if it’s linked to that but it used to work properly though.

#928 5 years ago

Regarding the slingshot led:I had 2 spares led pcb and i realized one led was bad. However during attract mode when i turn on the pin, the led change colors normaly but once they turn white, they stay white forever without even reacting with the gameplay anymore.
Any idea what could go wrong?
Anyone else has this issue?

I though it could come from a bad led but they turn to all colors at first and how do you even know they are bad in this case?

4 weeks later
#929 4 years ago

Anyone experienced game stop on Alien during gameplay and go back to the attract mode?
Seems to happen on mine when multi running or queen nest.

I can’t figure out what’s wrong

I m running 1.2 with all latest boards.

#930 4 years ago

First, not a tecnical guy but had opportunity to pick up an alien today. Early build .94 software, original computer I suspect. The airlock LCD turns on but doesn’t show any graphics for the game. Also is there a cheat sheet list somewhere that explains everything you need to purchase to upgrade to the latest software? Lastly, a ton of lights are out, mostly inserts, I know they are serial but is there a way to check them, a fee appear to be stuck on

35C5276D-D5FB-45DF-AAD4-93325B0FD995 (resized).jpeg35C5276D-D5FB-45DF-AAD4-93325B0FD995 (resized).jpegE6CEDC86-F3E0-41B2-88B5-D4CC7E04493A (resized).jpegE6CEDC86-F3E0-41B2-88B5-D4CC7E04493A (resized).jpeg
#931 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Anyone experienced game stop on Alien during gameplay and go back to the attract mode?
Seems to happen on mine when multi running or queen nest.

Mentioning Queens Nest may be a clue... do you have the backbox beacon? If so, try disabling it in adjustments, and see if that helps. Could be a power problem.

#932 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Mentioning Queens Nest may be a clue... do you have the backbox beacon? If so, try disabling it in adjustments, and see if that helps. Could be a power problem.

Thanks for the tip. I ll try that.
Do you know if it’s possible to get the report from USB? I’ve tried on a non empty usb and no report so does that need that the USB key need to be pluged during the reboot to get a report? Anyway i ll try again.

#933 4 years ago

when you say multi is that during sentinel MB b/c if so, beacons go off during those as well....Could be the issue. Although beacons are such a must in this game. so good.

#934 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

when you say multi is that during sentinel MB b/c if so, beacons go off during those as well....Could be the issue. Although beacons are such a must in this game. so good.

it happen during multi and since Ambush is the easiest multiball, I'll experienced more with that mode.

Does anyone ever tried to load the report from the USB device from the option? I can't get it to work. I pluged an empty USB select export in the menu and no report.txt or log files are created...
Does this function even work?

edit: i pluged an empty USB before turning on the pin, played. The game stopped like the other times: go to the menu, export report... and nothing.
IT seems that this function does nothing.

I don't know why but the pin stopped now every long play so I can no longer play a game more than 10 minutes without a stop.
Everything else seems to work like it should.

Since I cannot get the report, I've no clue what could make this happen. I'm thinking retrofitting the caps and the PS... since the pin looks more unstable now.

Edit. After rereading this great thread, i realized i was running .6 version o all my IO board. I ve updated to .9. I hope it will help.

#935 4 years ago

Help. Did a factory reset and broke the game! Now it won’t boot and asks for Heighway login?! It’s an alien running 0.94 early game.

6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg
#936 4 years ago

Eww, uhh, that’s a special kind of broke... paging Ferret and bcd

#937 4 years ago

So frustrating haven’t even owned it for a week. Any help would be appreciated. This is the zbox computer.

#938 4 years ago

Maybe a reinstall of the whole software ?!

http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html

#939 4 years ago

I’m running .94, can’t run thatsoftware right? Any earlier version out there I can install?

#940 4 years ago

hello.
looking for help for my Alien which constantly reboot now. running the 1.2. I've update my IO boards recently to .9 version. This didn't solve this issue but now the right flipper, once pressed during gameplay, make some leds to bright with it...

here are the traces from the log file:

during gameplay:
8980 ERROR: ioboard_thread(2): ERR: 18
3100 ERROR: ioboard_thread(2): ERR: 18
3104 ERROR: ioboard_thread(2): ERR: 18
5464 ERROR: ioboard_thread(0): ERR: 18
9844 ERROR: ioboard_thread(0): ERR: 18
6944 ERROR: ioboard_thread(1): ERR: 18

just before the reboot, I have this infinite loop

2888 deff_start 141 AMBUSH MB JACKPOT
2896 Stopping leff 41
2896 Closing leff 41 (idx 10)
2896 Started leff 70
2900 replay award
2908 replay award
2920 replay award
2928 replay award
2940 replay award
2948 replay award
2956 replay award

….
End... with reboot

5588 replay award
5588 replay award
5588 replay award
5588 deff_start 69 ACID MODE WIN
5588 queueing[0]
5588 Hurry 75 exiting
5588 deff_start 31 WEAPON AWARDED
5588 ignoring[0] 58 < 147
5588 AIRLOCK: kicking now

Any Idea?

#941 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

I’m running .94, can’t run thatsoftware right? Any earlier version out there I can install?

Update: got the game up! Got the weir update to work. It’s running 1.02, how do I update the iO boards since some lights that were working b4 in .94 are not now?

#942 4 years ago

From my alien website "After you install the software go into the test menu and select I/O boards and select update. Do this for all 3 boards."

#943 4 years ago

Shaker questions:

Due my shaker in Alien was powerless I changed it with the one from my BKSOR.
So in testmenu the new shaker is much much more powerfull but in game ... still nothing. I made some very nice games, complete ALIEN-side but not one single shake .... in the menü the shaker is on "strong"and "enabled".

Any idea ?! Software is 1.2 on a late model.

The shaker from Alien is now in the BK , it runs but does not shake. The motor is working, the metallweights are moving but no effect. All screws are tigtehned and the weights are pointing both to one side .. any idea ??

Pics: The original Alien shaker ...

IMG_3414 (resized).JPGIMG_3414 (resized).JPGIMG_3415 (resized).JPGIMG_3415 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#944 4 years ago

Any one have instructions and the software to update the IO boards in a FT? I have the IO boards running on HW 1.3 SW 0.6 right now and the game in it self is working fine but it just that the LED's are effected sometimes when any 70v parts are being used(flipper/magnet)

I tried the software that Weirpinball posted (thanks for sharing ) but the instructions is not referring to the same software according to the picture in the bulletin. I managed to do a new SD card and I took all the files and put on a USB and then tried all different combinations. But never did I get to the point that there was a upgrade in the IO card menu. I did get once an error when booting saying "ERROR: Failed to install updates!". I restarted as the instructions said but same issue until I put back the original USB.

My cards did have HW 1.4 before but as mentioned in my previous post I tried to upgrade them but they down graded them self to HW 1.3....bummer

Any help with instructions and and software is much appreciated since I just want to get rid of the flickering LEDs.

1 week later
#945 4 years ago

Anyone know where I can get the backboard plastic with the space jockey? Any help would be appreciated!

67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#946 4 years ago

For some reason lately I have noticed that the proximity sensors under the ball save hyperspace chamber out lanes on the left have just been activiating mid game in stead of when the ball rolls over them.

It seems to be random and it happens to both of them if they are light.

It has the effect of activating the ball save until the ball finally drains. So it could say register mid game then if you have a center drain you will get the ball back as if it had gone over the sensors. Not that I am complaining, who does’t love a mid game ball save!!!

I have tired resetting them and check the USB cables etc all all seems to be ok. They also work fine when a ball actually does go over them.
Anyone got any thoughts.
Could the sensors be faulty?

#947 4 years ago

Hey All.

I was wanting to get one of the computers that WeirPinball made up but I missed the last couple batches.
He was happy to do another run but we need to get at least 5 to make it worthwhile doing.

So throwing it out there to see if anyone else wants one so we can get to 5.

2 weeks later
#948 4 years ago

Hey all, I need some help. I've had Alien out on location, got a service call about weak flippers, start checking it over and all the group 3 coils (lower flippers and other lower playfield) are firing but very weak. Found a cooked transistor and some scorching on the back side of one of the i/o boards. No other visible issues, looks to me like it's just a fault on the i/o board but any suggestions as to what else to check are welcome.

Also, does anyone know of an i/o board currently for sale or someone that can repair it?

P1020767 (resized).JPGP1020767 (resized).JPGP1020769 (resized).JPGP1020769 (resized).JPG
#949 4 years ago

Ask him

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/68745

or freeplay.se

I saw also an other board with this burning marks, so this seems to be a design issue.
You have a Alien out on location .. uhhh ... very risky !! But good that people can play this excellent machine !!

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from Jawa:

Hey all, I need some help. I've had Alien out on location, got a service call about weak flippers, start checking it over and all the group 3 coils (lower flippers and other lower playfield) are firing but very weak. Found a cooked transistor and some scorching on the back side of one of the i/o boards. No other visible issues, looks to me like it's just a fault on the i/o board but any suggestions as to what else to check are welcome.
Also, does anyone know of an i/o board currently for sale or someone that can repair it?[quoted image][quoted image]

https://www.free-play.se/en/electronics/circuit-boards/alien-full-throttle-io-board-v14b.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/19?hl=olaa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.