(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By PartyKing

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 921 posts
  • 135 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by WeirPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 115 votes
    71%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 7 votes
    4%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 14 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 13 votes
    8%

(161 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 138 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190210_162802 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162848 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162824 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162722 (resized).jpg
9C98192E-8FBC-4529-8D96-87ECB570C133 (resized).jpeg
EB29CE8E-3C2F-4582-8174-41512ACC7552 (resized).jpeg
B3E2BDF9-F753-47C3-A3C5-7752E4928B46 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2351 (resized).JPG
IMG_6256 (resized).JPG
IO Board V1.1.pdf (PDF preview)
DSC04346 (resized).JPG
IO Board Circuitry.pdf (PDF preview)
IO Board Diagram (resized).png
Playfield Diagram (resized).png
IMG_0063 (resized).JPG
DSC_0001 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 19.
#901 65 days ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Ok i have a spare I/O board. I thought the issue with a spare CPU was the compatible software is not available for release?

If you are talking alien - got that covered, FT not so much

#902 64 days ago
Quoted from bcd:

You should see a reading of approximately 70000mV on each I/O board. None of them show that. Even on boards 1 and 2, you're only seeing about 12V.
I would check all of the wiring that carries power to make sure it is firmly inserted everywhere. Also might be a good time to pull out a multi-meter and probe where the voltage is falling out.

Sorry, that's my fault. Those were with coin door open and high voltage off. With the high voltage on they're reading around 71,000.

Here's where I'm at. I've got all I/O showing ok voltages. I've unplugged one leg of the plunger coil. All other switches and coils seem fine. With the plunger coil plugged in, the coil fires when the game is turned on and it will blow one of the high power fuses. The game ends the skill shot without the launch button being pressed.
The launch button seems to work fine in switch test as does the shooter lane switch. Neither show up in the active switches unless pressed.

The game auto firing the ball into play as soon as the ball was ejected into the shooter lane was happening intermittently since I got the game. I'd played less than 10 games on it.

Any ideas?

#904 63 days ago
Quoted from Willathrilla:

Sorry, that's my fault. Those were with coin door open and high voltage off. With the high voltage on they're reading around 71,000.
Here's where I'm at. I've got all I/O showing ok voltages. I've unplugged one leg of the plunger coil. All other switches and coils seem fine. With the plunger coil plugged in, the coil fires when the game is turned on and it will blow one of the high power fuses. The game ends the skill shot without the launch button being pressed.
The launch button seems to work fine in switch test as does the shooter lane switch. Neither show up in the active switches unless pressed.
The game auto firing the ball into play as soon as the ball was ejected into the shooter lane was happening intermittently since I got the game. I'd played less than 10 games on it.
Any ideas?

When I got my FT it would autolaunch sporadically as well. I found the wiring to the shooter lane switch was routed so it was super tight with no slack. I rerouted the wiring and tightened the spade connecters with some pliers.... Havent had a problem since then.

#905 63 days ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Where did you get a spare CPU? I'd like to have a drop in spare ready to go if anyone is selling.

https://www.free-play.se/en/game-specific-parts/heighway-pinball/alien/alien-game-computer.html

They claim the SSD might be blank, however, so keep that in mind....think there are some in the community here that can help you w that, if needed

#906 63 days ago

A bit cheaper if you get off alibaba

#907 57 days ago

Just completed loading up the software on 6 more computers. Get 'em while they are hot!

Added 50 days ago:

SOLD OUT

#908 57 days ago

At some point could the proprietary board designs be offered for sale by the liquidator so another company could produce and sell them?

1 week later
#909 49 days ago

Hey guys, I just got an Alien SE today, I am running the latest 1.2 firmware.
Sometimes when I hit the bumpers my flippers gets disabled and the ball just drains.

Is this a part of the ruleset or am I having a different kind of trouble?

Thanks!

#910 49 days ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Sometimes when I hit the bumpers my flippers gets disabled and the ball just drains.
Thanks!

This is definetely not part of the ruleset.

#911 49 days ago

Hey Webdiddy

When i got my Full Throttle all these years ago I had the exact same problem.

I believe to remember that it was only a loose connector somewhere, maybe one of the USB cables.
Wish i would remember in detail, my man.

Good luck!

#912 49 days ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Thanks!

I'd suggest getting newer high-quality USB cables and see if that helps. They can come lose and cause weird intermittent issues,

#913 49 days ago

Check my post on the flipper cabinet buttons. Mine would stop working in a game and it was because of the flipper button switch in the cabinet

#914 44 days ago

I have a new problem with my Alien pin guys.
During normal ball play the through just starts kicking out new balls, it continues to do so forever it seams, everything else (flippers/lights) looks like it's working as it should during this.

Any clue on what could be causing this?

#915 43 days ago

I had the same problem with mine on occasion until I switched out the crappy cables that came with it for shielded ones. Works fine now.

#916 43 days ago
Quoted from swenny:

I had the same problem with mine on occasion until I switched out the crappy cables that came with it for shielded ones. Works fine now.

I have replaced all the cables except one, the one on the bottom of the cabinet, I need to get a new cable for that one too.

#917 43 days ago

It is exhausting to read about all this in several posts ... would it not be easier to post all this issues in only one post ?!

I am sure that most Alien owners read all the topics concerning Alien pinball, so there is no need to post the same in every thread !!

Good luck on fault finding !

#918 42 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

It is exhausting to read about all this in several posts ... would it not be easier to post all this issues in only one post ?!
I am sure that most Alien owners read all the topics concerning Alien pinball, so there is no need to post the same in every thread !!
Good luck on fault finding !

I'm guessing you are talking about me.
No, I post in different threads because it steams to that people are reading different threads. If it is exhausting for you just keep scrolling when you see my avatar.

#919 37 days ago

Down to one pre-loaded ssd for alien left. All configured computers are sold out.

Added 34 days ago:

SSDs sold out

#920 36 days ago

This *might* be the code for the microcontroller used on the Heighway inductive sensors ...

http://www.micro-examples.com/articles/index.php/PicoDetector

The microcontroller used in that example is available in a package that seems to be the same as the one on the sensor. I can't see the part number on the sensor itself.

Also, if someone is making replacements, they might want to check out a TI LDC0851

http://www.ti.com/product/LDC0851

These are a lot less expensive than the microcontroller. They basically do everything the microcontroller does at a fraction of the cost. The catch is that you need both a sense and a reference coil ... however, I suspect if you'd mount some cheap, smaller inductors on the top and bottom of the board, this device would work great (put the sense inductor on the top of course) ... the cost of a replacement switch, in low quantity, including the PCB, should be ~ $1USD (that's just the BOM ... but even marked up 5x, you're still half the price of a current replacement ... assuming the chip would work.

Does anyone know what that three terminal device on the Heighway sensor does? Is it a FET?

4 weeks later
#921 6 days ago

Been getting some more inquiries about another run of Alien replacement/spare computers - if there are about 5 buyers - I'll get cranking one one more run.

Scott

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
16,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nidderau, HE
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
9,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Goteborg
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 921 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside