(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 21.
#751 5 years ago

Hello. I have a friend who has a problem with his full throttle. overnight he did not want to start anymore. it stops on the display of 3 penguins. an idea?

#752 5 years ago

Hello! it's good I fixed the problem with the image SD card online.

thank you very much for sharing it!

#753 5 years ago

So the loop / fast lap shot on FT doesn't register when making the shot. I need to adjust the sensor underneath the playfield but how do I get to it? Think I need to take off the ramps? and a few boards underneath the PF just to get to the sensor? That sounding right?

#754 5 years ago

roll the ball through the loop and then the left lane, see if they register in the switch test mode

yes you can try pushing the sensors closer towards the playfield to make them more sensitive, the one in the outline you can probably just reach but the one in the loop is on a large board - you may have to drop it to tweak

#755 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

So the loop / fast lap shot on FT doesn't register when making the shot. I need to adjust the sensor underneath the playfield but how do I get to it? Think I need to take off the ramps? and a few boards underneath the PF just to get to the sensor? That sounding right?

There are 3 switches for this shot: the bottom of the loop, the top of the loop, and the top of the side lane that it feeds. The shot will score when any 2 of the 3 are made in a row.

Make sure to check all 3 switches for proper detection. A really fast shot will often skip one of the first two, but should still score if all 3 switches are good.

#756 5 years ago

I should be getting some more I/O boards next week. They are $250 shipped in the US, a bit more than that to send international. Shoot me a note if you're interested.
Thanks,
Chris

#757 5 years ago

My Xeno head mech doesn't work properly. On start up, the tongue will come all the way out, and then go all the way in, but when I reach multiball, when the tongue takes the ball, it doesn't pull it all the way in, and the ball gets lodged in the Xeno mouth. Wondering what I need to do to repair this.

I've taken the head off and looked at the gears. All of the gears have a full thread on them. What else could it be?

#758 5 years ago

I had the same problem. My fix isn't elegant, in fact, it's kind of a hack - but it worked. Basically, the magnet strength holding the ball to the tongue was too strong, and the ball wasn't dropping off when the tongue retracted. What I did was wrap some thin strips of electrical tape around the end of the tongue magnet, and then some more around the sides to make sure everything stayed in place. What this did was to add more material between the magnet and the ball - reducing the hold strength. ....works 100% now.

#759 5 years ago

I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work for me. I did a little trial and error and came up with the following.

-the tongue will go all the way out, then in, if there is no ball on it
-however, when the tongue goes out and gets a ball, it seems to have trouble dealing with the extra weight, and moves in slowly
-because the tongue moves in slowly, the lower jaw raises back up before the tongue can re-enter the Xeno head
-the bottom gets hung up on the rubber part of the tongue and the ball gets stuck in that spot

After opening the head up, I found a motor that runs the tongue. I'm not sure if I have to replace it (that'll be a challenge, I'm sure) or something else. The gear that moves the tongue looks to be in perfect shape, but that motor seems to struggle when pulling the ball back in. Please see pictures for the motor. Also, I tried re-seating the wires that go to the motor, but that didn't help.

The motor for the tongue is the black box with the red/green/blue/black wires.

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#760 5 years ago

Here's something to check - take a look and see if the tongue motor shaft is slipping within the gear that's attached. This has been covered before - the gear isn't 'keyed' to the shaft - it's only glued on. Over time, that glue can weaken, and the motor shaft can turn - but doesn't turn the gear 100%. This sounds like what you are seeing - runs fine until it hits some resistance, and then seems to slip. If your gears are not stripped - there's no reason for it to be 'slow' unless something is slipping. ....I'll see if I can go back and find the original posts (with pictures).

Here's one of those posts: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/412#post-4337595

EDIT: I never did receive the promised 3d printed replacement. Instead, I just used some superglue to refasten the gear to the shaft. ...it's still working.

#761 5 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work for me. I did a little trial and error and came up with the following.
-the tongue will go all the way out, then in, if there is no ball on it

1. Check the connectors by wiggling them on the small zeno board as you cycle the test for the tongue (I forget the name right now). If you can get the tongue to stop then obviously reseat the wire in the connector.
2. While cycling in the same test try it with a ball and adjust the Potentiometer (small sunken screw) with a jewelers screwdriver clockwise until it can drop the ball. This can take some fiddling as if I remember correct if you go too far it will lose power.
xeno_board_small (resized).pngxeno_board_small (resized).png

#762 5 years ago

When my tounge did that I think it was a board issue apparently there is an adjustment screw on one of the boards on the back of the rear backboard on the playfield

#763 5 years ago

In my image the screw marked with the red arrow is to the right of my yellow thunderbolt on the raised board. Like I said you will need a jewelers screwdriver or equivalent.

xeno_board_small (resized).pngxeno_board_small (resized).png
#764 5 years ago

Okay - so first off - you guys are awesome. I actually tried re-seating the clip with the blue wires and this fixed the immediate issue.

However, now, it seems the tongue magnet never turns off. So it just sits there and holds the ball.

I tried the trick of putting on electrical tape over the tongue and it didn't work (1, 2, 3, and 4 layers acted exactly the same, and 5 layers of tape made it so the ball wasn't picked up). I could manually knock the ball away, but the tongue magnet never turns off. I looked in the settings and didn't see anything for the tongue magnet behavior. So I'm not sure what to do to make it work properly.

#765 5 years ago

You are correct in that magnet is always on. It never switches off and that is normal.

#766 5 years ago

So what makes it drop when it's supposed to?

Before I had these issues, the tongue would grab the ball, pull it into the Xeno head, and drop the ball so it could cycle into the multiball mode .

#767 5 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

Before I had these issues, the tongue would grab the ball, pull it into the Xeno head, and drop the ball so it could cycle into the multiball mode .

Like Budroosker is explaining above, its really really delicate that screw and actuator.

The voltage is probably tightened too high where its holding onto the ball?

Mine was doing the exact same thing, at first it didn't have the power to pull the ball back. Then i did a quarter turn of that screw and it picked it up and held it. Had to back off the turn a tiny bit before it dropped just right.

Now 100%

#768 5 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

The ball is 'scraped' off the magnet by the metal bracket.

The xeno magnet is just a permanent magnet on the moving rod - not an electromagnet.

Maybe yours isn't pulling back far enough

#769 5 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

Okay - so first off - you guys are awesome. I actually tried re-seating the clip with the blue wires and this fixed the immediate issue.
However, now, it seems the tongue magnet never turns off. So it just sits there and holds the ball.
I tried the trick of putting on electrical tape over the tongue and it didn't work (1, 2, 3, and 4 layers acted exactly the same, and 5 layers of tape made it so the ball wasn't picked up). I could manually knock the ball away, but the tongue magnet never turns off. I looked in the settings and didn't see anything for the tongue magnet behavior. So I'm not sure what to do to make it work properly.

Slide the Black Rubber sleeve down more so that the Ball is farther away from the actual end of the tongue and this should fix your issue

B86B0ADA-D314-492C-96F4-CDA9B084ED82 (resized).jpegB86B0ADA-D314-492C-96F4-CDA9B084ED82 (resized).jpeg

#770 5 years ago

Also, did you try the turning the screw clockwise gradually and testing as you go? because on mine more power and it would drop the ball. That is why I mentioned it. It worked for me.

Power (resized).jpgPower (resized).jpg
#771 5 years ago

You were all correct. And I appreciate the many thoughtful and easy to follow (with all of the photos) replies.

The tongue wasn't going back far enough, so I started messing with that screw. At one point, I got it so the Xeno worked perfectly twice in a row (dropped the ball both times), but on the third try, it held the ball.

I spent the next 30 minutes slowly turning that screw and testing multiball mode. Didn't get it perfect, but I'll try again next time I have some time to fiddle with it. But I'm pretty sure that weird little screw is the key to fixing it.

#772 5 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

But I'm pretty sure that weird little screw is the key to fixing it.

yes

#773 5 years ago

My experience:

The rubber sleeve at the end of the tongue is there primarily to nerf the power of the permanent magnet. When I got a loaner Alien from Nitro the ball did not get dislodged by the tongue movement.
My solution was classic. 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch squares of black duck tape over the magnet. It took two of them and the mech always worked after that.
This was a very early production machine (Andrew was still there).
The position of the rubber sleeve is crucial. At some point they either built a jig or somebody was the "Alien Tongue Rubber Sleeve Installer" in Wales.
My own machine has never exhibited this problem.
No matter how you set the screw I doubt that the stepper motor has enough torque to dislodge the ball if the magnet is not nerfed properly.

ddt

#774 5 years ago

I was able to get another small batch of the IO boards. They are $250 ea shipped in the US, slightly higher for international. Shoot me a message if you'd like one or more. Thanks, Chris

IMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPG
#775 5 years ago

Very strange ...
Today I played with a friend on the Alien. Second Ball player 2 ... sudeenly the pin is quite ... no sound, no background music.
We opened the door and .... sound volume was on 0 , brought it up and sound was back.
What the hell .... what happened here ?

I am happy that it was no real problem, but i dont understand how the pin could adjust the soundlevel to zero ... ?!

#776 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Very strange ...
Today I played with a friend on the Alien. Second Ball player 2 ... sudeenly the pin is quite ... no sound, no background music.
We opened the door and .... sound volume was on 0 , brought it up and sound was back.

Never seen that before either. The volume buttons do work when the coin door is closed, so if the button or the switch got stuck "on", it would drop the volume to zero almost instantly. Maybe a loose wire or connector?

#777 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

I was able to get another small batch of the IO boards. They are $250 ea shipped in the US, slightly higher for international. Shoot me a message if you'd like one or more. Thanks, Chris
[quoted image]

received (2x) today...thanks!!! anti-static bags and silica packs..tucked away....Alien lives!!!

#778 5 years ago

Yes, very strange .... will have an eye on it, happened only one time so far.

Cheers
Tom

#779 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Yes, very strange .... will have an eye on it, happened only one time so far.
Cheers
Tom

Additional .. made some games today and could enter new highscores .... mhhh .... all current scores were deleteted !!
Something happened to my machine ! Should it not hold highscores on the HDD ?! I am confused .... in the settings "clearing highscores" is marked out !

#780 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Additional .. made some games today and could enter new highscores .... mhhh .... all current scores were deleteted !!
Something happened to my machine ! Should it not hold highscores on the HDD ?! I am confused .... in the settings "clearing highscores" is marked out !

That's strange, but I had that problem once (in March). But it reseted only the "Top Marines Highscores", other highscores still remained.
But may be you already made 3000 games on your Alien (then it should reset)?
Whatever, it never happened again and I#m still far away from 3000.

#781 5 years ago

I guess my machine did kind of reset for any reason ... volume down, highscores killed. Delete after x games is off. And I am on around 150 games so far.

#782 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

I guess my machine did kind of reset for any reason ... volume down, highscores killed. Delete after x games is off. And I am on around 150 games so far.

My Alien also was around 150 games and "delete after x games" was off. Did it delete all your highscores or only your Top Marines?

#783 5 years ago

Does ft have a match feature,mine always has 10-20-30.

3 weeks later
#784 5 years ago

I have 2 Alien replacement computers completely configured for sale - with memory and ssd and software loaded. Plug an play for spare or repair. Will have more stuff in the near future.

Scott

one left

Added over 5 years ago:

sold - may have one more in the future

1 week later
#785 5 years ago

Update on Alien parts available:

4 face huggers
2 sets of sling replacement leds
1 replacement (or backup) ssd drives for the original computer preloaded with software
1 replacement (or backup) memory stick for original computer
1 replacement led screen for the playfield - sold

#786 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

It would take approval from Pinball Brothers to release it, and a huge disclaimer that they are not responsible for anything that might go wrong. I can certainly ask.

Any more information on this? Would love to have a pathway to replace the Utilite.

Thanks!

#787 5 years ago

Guaging interest in building more fully configured replacement/spare computers for alien. It would take a few weeks to get more, but should be in the range of 375 to 400. Will come with memory and SSD loaded with 1.02 software.mplug and play. I have one left that will be available soon, but would have to get a new contract for more. I can also configure motherboards bought a that need memory and or SSD loaded with software. I have preloaded SSD drives available now.

Scott

1 week later
#788 5 years ago

As OP I figure it's OK to post this here - the time has come for me to sell my Alien.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-alien-10

#789 5 years ago

Anyone have a QUICK source for the 70VDC switching supply?

One failed in our customers machine and while I didn't have time to check it carefully on Saturday I strongly suspect the fan failed. Will post followup tomorrow once I have examined it on the bench, but the primary bridge rectifier looks like it ran rather hot - enough to melt the solder so it could lift out of the PCB leading to arcing and major trace failure...

Alien_70VDC_Smokin (resized).JPGAlien_70VDC_Smokin (resized).JPGAlien_70VDC_Smokin_Bridge_lifted (resized).JPGAlien_70VDC_Smokin_Bridge_lifted (resized).JPG
#790 5 years ago

I'm not aware of any enclosed 70 volt power supplies.

Mean Well SE-600-48 (48 volt @ 12 amps) is what Spooky uses in their machines and you can buy that at Jameco Electronics.

#791 5 years ago
Quoted from Flippers_com:

Anyone have a QUICK source for the 70VDC switching supply?
One failed in our customers machine and while I didn't have time to check it carefully on Saturday I strongly suspect the fan failed. Will post followup tomorrow once I have examined it on the bench, but the primary bridge rectifier looks like it ran rather hot - enough to melt the solder so it could lift out of the PCB leading to arcing and major trace failure...[quoted image][quoted image]

Drats!!...Not off hand, but was next up on my Alien radar, as the current one seems unmarked and has always been a bit of a concern for me. Good luck, and let us know what you find...

#792 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

As OP I figure it's OK to post this here - the time has come for me to sell my Alien.

Sad to see you leave the club, but happy for new owner.... you'll definitely be noted as one of the early pioneers....mark

#793 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

as the current one seems unmarked

My 70V switching power supply is marked to be a "Weho S-500-70" (70 Volt, 500W or 7 Amps). The S-500 series is listed here http://wehopower.com/products/s-500-ID29.html, but the 70 Volt version seems to be a custom order. Any switcher with similar values should work as an replacement.
Mean Well power supplies are well known for their reliability, but the standard offer also does not include a 70V model: https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=469

#794 5 years ago

Having trouble finding a 70VDC supply that is rated UL, not to mention one that will work at 115VAC.

Thanks for the link, MeanWell is UL as well as CUL approved, which meats Canadian electrical safety laws which are stricter than the UL alone for fire risk...will be digging into the supply today and I will test the fan first.

#795 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I'm not aware of any enclosed 70 volt power supplies.
Mean Well SE-600-48 (48 volt @ 12 amps) is what Spooky uses in their machines and you can buy that at Jameco Electronics.

Hi Ken,

You should have dropped by our little (only 5,500sq ft) shop here in Burnaby while we had the Alien in testing mode. We aren't that far away - about 195 miles due north of you.

There are a few things in the game you wouldn't have seen before. Like the game was originally wired for a 70VAC supply source - transformer based I assume - and they switched to a 70VDC CNC style power supply after the initial fuse/rectifier/regulator PCB design was laid out.

John :-#)#

#796 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

My 70V switching power supply is marked to be a "Weho S-500-70" (70 Volt, 500W or 7 Amps). The S-500 series is listed here http://wehopower.com/products/s-500-ID29.html, but the 70 Volt version seems to be a custom order. Any switcher with similar values should work as an replacement.
Mean Well power supplies are well known for their reliability, but the standard offer also does not include a 70V model: https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=469

Sure wish there was a nice "analog" transformer that could be upfit. Seems I saw earlier that this was the attempt on earlier FT games, but Alien doesn't like it?

#797 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Oh no! Why are you selling?

#798 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Why are you selling?

It's a combination of several reasons.

1. I have limited space.
2. I have owned Alien for almost two years.
3. It was time to change things up.
4. I didn't like having so much $$ tied up in one pin.
5. Bills, bills and more bills. I've got a daughter going off to college next year, my son is turning 14 this month and the wife wants new hardwood floors.
6. The market was right to sell.

I may end up regretting the decision...but...such is life.

#799 5 years ago
Quoted from Flippers_com:

Like the game was originally wired for a 70VAC supply source - transformer based I assume - and they switched to a 70VDC CNC style power supply after the initial fuse/rectifier/regulator PCB design was laid out.

In fact very early Aliens use the same toroidal transformer as the FT. It deliveres 50VAC (resulting in approx. 65 VDC) at 6 Amp: http://www.antekinc.com/as-3450-300va-50v-transformer/ (the 15 Volt output was never used in Aliens). But the increased number of coils draw higher currents, so they replaced the transformer by the Switcher and disabled some components on the green power supply board. I am convinced that a 50VAC, 10 Amp transformer would also perfectly - if not better - do the job (with some additional modifications).
FT Transformer (resized).jpgFT Transformer (resized).jpg

#800 5 years ago

Further exploration of the blown supply. The fan appears to be just fine. I've had it running on the bench for about twenty minutes and it is good and strong, and it also turns freely by finger when off.
I'm back to a bad solder connection for either the bridge rectifier or one of the filter caps...

This supply is beyond normal repair, and I did find what appear to be good quality ones here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-DC-Power-Supply-70V-7A-500w-Led-Driver-Transformer-SMPS-for-Engraving-machine-laser-cutting/32812372400.html What I liked was it claims to meet proper international electrical standards, and that is rare in these units. Price isn't bad either.

I may restore the burnt supply, but with the badly charred PCB it is not a good candidate for anything other than for testing purposes. Certainly can't be good enough after being repaired to be running in any game again.

Alien_70DC_Cooked_Underside (resized).JPGAlien_70DC_Cooked_Underside (resized).JPGAlien_70DC_Cooked_Underside_Clean (resized).JPGAlien_70DC_Cooked_Underside_Clean (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/16?hl=legionsoup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.