(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,031 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DawnP
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 127 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 14 votes
    8%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien Playfield Display (resized).jpg
2022-03-18 17.41.44 (resized).jpg
9880B0A4-37D8-4B71-A87F-11FAA5E6B209 (resized).jpeg
20210521_183012 (resized).jpg
20210523_132732 (resized).jpg
20210523_132749 (resized).jpg
20210522_204926 (resized).jpg
E4C76FFF-24EE-488B-AA32-E92469F3CCF9.jpeg
IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.
#701 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Mhh .. I searched whole pinside but can not find the post:
On the left ramp was aplastic planned. The ballguides under the ramp have holes to mount this "lost plastic" ... anybody has a picture or scan of this "lost plastic" ??

Do you mean these "tab" things?

alien ramps (2) (resized).jpgalien ramps (2) (resized).jpg
#702 5 years ago

Yep !
I heard there is a plastic gate missing, a sign or something ... or it is just a bad coonstruction ... ??

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Yep !
I heard there is a plastic gate missing, a sign or something ... or it is just a bad coonstruction ... ??

Maybe someone from the Alien team can chime in, but my recollection is that Andrew mentioned ramp gates. However, I don't think any where made, other than a prototype(?). I never saw an actual gate, so I don't know if any where ever made. I thought Aurich said they were never created, but I can't seem to find that post.

#704 5 years ago

Thanks so far ...
Maybe a nice place for a extra plastic

#705 5 years ago

I think it was originally for a ramp entrance switch that didnt get used, not for a plastic - but could be wrong.

#706 5 years ago

Kneissl what is the wiring for your capacitor mod?

#707 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

kneissl what is the wiring for your capacitor mod?

I'll do a write up on the mod tomorrow.

#708 5 years ago

Here's a pic that should clearly show how these capacitors are hooked up.
for cut and paste ease: order Two Digikey part # 399-14322-ND
Edit: Special thanks to @wolfmarsh!

AlienCAP (resized).pngAlienCAP (resized).png

positive (resized).pngpositive (resized).png

#709 5 years ago

Adding large capacitors to the power lines involves some risks: During startup the empty capacitor draws very high current which may cause damage to switching power supplies (depending on their design) and in the long run also to the capacitors. So don't overdo it - maybe only one capacitor / less capacity is enough to improve the gameplay. Here are some explanations for those who are more deeply interesed: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva670a/slva670a.pdf

#710 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Adding large capacitors to the power lines involves some risks: During startup the empty capacitor draws very high current which may cause damage to switching power supplies (depending on their design) and in the long run also to the capacitors. So don't overdo it - maybe only one capacitor / less capacity is enough to improve the gameplay. Here are some explanations for those who are more deeply interesed: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva670a/slva670a.pdf

Me too scared. I'll just stick with my 9volt.

#711 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

New project..integrate load switch to address inrush current. On it.

#712 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

New project..integrate load switch to address inrush current. On it.

Let me know when the kit is ready to ship!

#713 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Power supply may be current limited. You could put a current probe on the line feeding the caps to see what their current profile looks like during start up.

#714 5 years ago

I haven't noticed any issues with my flippers, but I haven't played all that much: Still waiting on a scoop protector. Although I'm sure the capacitor solution works, seems a bit "hacky" to me. Is this something that can be resolved/upgraded with a different power supply?

#715 5 years ago

It's not "hacky".

Switching power supplies have a hard time responding to instant high-demand current draw. This helps a lot, and is pretty standard practice in pinball machines.

Check out Stern Part #520-5343-01, or this: https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/item/fast-power-filter-board, or this: https://www.multimorphic.com/store/circuit-boards/power-entry/

#716 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Per_,

Glad you brought this up, it is a valid issue. As you pointed out by your link, there's plenty of ways around it (a simple resistor/diode might work too)

I don't own an Alien, but I do tend to take notice when people install electrical mods. Sometimes 'a lot more' is not better than 'just enough'.

#717 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's not "hacky".
Switching power supplies have a hard time responding to instant high-demand current draw. This helps a lot, and is pretty standard practice in pinball machines.
Check out Stern Part #520-5343-01, or this: https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc/item/fast-power-filter-board, or this: https://www.multimorphic.com/store/circuit-boards/power-entry/

Appreciate the response; that makes sense.

Now to wait and see what TimeBandit comes up with!

#718 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's not "hacky".

You and Kneissel are Da Mans Wolfy!

#719 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You and Kneissel are Da Mans Wolfy!

I can't take credit for much on this, it's all @Kneissl. I've just been giving him text message pointers and he is running with it.

#720 5 years ago

Hey guys my switch (just left to the right drop ship ramp), keeps getting stuck. Its like the plastic front of it gets stuck near the metal right next to it. Does anyone have a fix for this situation? This is an important switch to hit during command drop!

#721 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Cap values and parallel wiring quite sound , engineering wise for this application. Caps a bit oversized, but headroom and tolerance are acceptable.

Won't dive into parallel cap wiring benefits, but are valid...Solution proposed works fine, and inexpensive...Certainly not a hack....Great get Kneissl!!!

( Undercurrent can cause as much, if not more damage than overcurrent in certain situations....Something to think about)

#722 5 years ago

I experienced a number of blown mosfets after I ran thicker gauge wire from the power supply in my quest to fix the weak coils. One might make an argument that the current factory configuration is more of a hack.

#723 5 years ago

Strange, I haven't noticed weak flippers on my game. Are they weak at the start or after playing for a long time? Also, do you have one of the later games?

#724 5 years ago

They're not weak like you get with worn mechs or hot coils, I didn't notice till I was playing with my daughter on one side me on the other. If you flip left and right at the same time you should notice it. After I noticed it, I started to recognize it happening in multiball.

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Strange, I haven't noticed weak flippers on my game. Are they weak at the start or after playing for a long time? Also, do you have one of the later games?

My machine was built 2/18, so last run of LE's, though a few more have popped up w later builds......mine is wired a bit different than kneissl's, and some board differences, as well.

I noticed the effect after he mentioned experiencing it on his.....most pronounced when in mb .....noting the launch loses power and doesn't make it up the wireform on the first try.

started paying attention, and definitely a sag when everything going......the caps keep things nice and crisp throughout gameplay...literally night and day after installing.....

#726 5 years ago

Good to know, I'll look for it.

#727 5 years ago

I know we possibly couldn't have picked a worse machine for a first pin (full throttle) but refuse to believe that there's nothing we can do to get it running properly again. Please guys way out of my league here, any help is appreciated.

Used to have larger issues with full throttle blowing fuses. But have now just got it down to ball not launching everytime out of the shooter lane maybe 55% of the time it works.
The rest nothing happens /doesn't try and only when the game cycles through processes looking for the ball does it get ejected and put on playfield - when it does this it launches ball 100% of the time.

Now reading above posts could this be something similar? Power related, not getting enough power to launch ball? But why does it work half of the time, doesn't make sense. And it's not during multi ball or anything taxing on power.

Anyone had this problem, something similar? I don't know too much about pinball but wouldn't have imagined this to have been such a hard issue.

Can anyone give me some ideas, things I can try for a game that doesn't launch ball everytime? Surely this is an issue that can occur in other games aswell and a known fix.no?

Shooter Lane coil needs to be replaced? Idk guys ideas please.

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

I know we possibly couldn't have picked a worse machine for a first pin (full throttle) but refuse to believe that there's nothing we can do to get it running properly again. Please guys way out of my league here, any help is appreciated.

Does the shooter fire reliably in coil test? maybe a loose connection somewhere?

#729 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Used to have larger issues with full throttle blowing fuses. But have now just got it down to ball not launching everytime out of the shooter lane maybe 55% of the time it works.
The rest nothing happens /doesn't try and only when the game cycles through processes looking for the ball does it get ejected and put on playfield - when it does this it launches ball 100% of the time.
Now reading above posts could this be something similar? Power related, not getting enough power to launch ball? But why does it work half of the time, doesn't make sense. And it's not during multi ball or anything taxing on power.
Anyone had this problem, something similar? I don't know too much about pinball but wouldn't have imagined this to have been such a hard issue.
Can anyone give me some ideas, things I can try for a game that doesn't launch ball everytime? Surely this is an issue that can occur in other games aswell and a known fix.no?
Shooter Lane coil needs to be replaced? Idk guys ideas please.

This sounds like a shooter lane switch issue. I know when I got my Full Throttle, the previous owner was having sporadic issues with the ball just randomly launching once it entered the lane. (A little different than your issue, but still somewhat similar in function). After I examined the issue, I noted the wire routing for the shooter lane switch was far too tight via the path they did from the factory. I rerouted it to give it some slack, and then tightened the connectors so they were snug on the switch spades. I haven't had a single issue since then. I don't want to jinx myself, but my FT has been bulletproof since I tightened everything up and went through the whole game.

What version of software are you running?

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Won't dive into parallel cap wiring benefits, but are valid...Solution proposed works fine, and inexpensive...Certainly not a hack....Great get Kneissl!!!

I also like the idea - just wanted to make you aware of the topic. Most switching power supplies (SPS) can handle overloads: Some limit the current, others shut down and immediately restart. And some even include a soft start. It would help to know the specs of the 70 Volt SPS, but i couldn't identfy the model. BTW the 12 Volt SPS in my Alien is this one: http://www.deltapsu.com/products/panel-mount-power-supply/PMC-12V150W1BA (mentioning "Start-up with Capacitive Loads: 8,000µF Max" and "Hicc-up Mode" as overcurrent protection). I might also have a look at a solution to limit the inrush current, but the high voltage is challenging.

Did you recognize that the cabinet board is prepared for the components of a transformer based solution: voltage selection, bridge rectifier etc.?

Quoted from Kneissl:

I experienced a number of blown mosfets after I ran thicker gauge wire from the power supply in my quest to fix the weak coils.

Wow, that would really be some kind of "dirty hack" to limit currents with undersized wire. I already asked myself if Heighway ran out of acceptable wire and planned the replacement together with the ridiculous thin 12V cables to the mainboard. But with the caps there should be even more blown mosfets (if it is current related)?

#731 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Wow, that would really be some kind of "dirty hack" to limit currents with undersized wire. I already asked myself if Heighway ran out of acceptable wire and planned the replacement together with the ridiculous thin 12V cables to the mainboard. But with the caps there should be even more blown mosfets (if it is current related)?

I'll have to find an O scope or something to try and figure out what is going on with the blown mosfets.

#732 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

I also like the idea - just wanted to make you aware of the topic. Most switching power supplies (SPS) can handle overloads: Some limit the current, others shut down and immediately restart. And some even include a soft start. It would help to know the specs of the 70 Volt SPS, but i couldn't identfy the model. BTW the 12 Volt SPS in my Alien is this one: http://www.deltapsu.com/products/panel-mount-power-supply/PMC-12V150W1BA (mentioning "Start-up with Capacitive Loads: 8,000µF Max" and "Hicc-up Mode" as overcurrent protection). I might also have a look at a solution to limit the inrush current, but the high voltage is challenging.
Did you recognize that the cabinet board is prepared for the components of a transformer based solution: voltage selection, bridge rectifier etc.?

Yep, and like you, I couldn't find the specs on the 70v SPS....looks suspiciously inexpensive. I believe a proper transformer would also work ( and more $$$), but this approach is fine. (the 12v supply is legit, as you mention).

I see many things on the main board that weren't used.....truly wish this would have gone through proper engineering (even a schematic would have been nice).

No failures on my machine, just noticeable power sags on 70v side (not even convinced it needs 70v).....

#733 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I see many things on the main board that weren't used.....truly wish this would have gone through proper engineering (even a schematic would have been nice).

I have to admit, that exactly these challenges are part of the "fun" I experience with my alien. I like to analyse and repair/improve things. I own my blue LE since 4 weeks and never played a single game . Currently I am installing a playfield protector which keeps me busy.

#734 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

I have to admit, that exactly these challenges are part of the "fun" I experience with my alien. I like to analyse and repair/improve things. I own my blue LE since 4 weeks and never played a single game . Currently I am installing a playfield protector which keeps me busy.

Spot on, and agreed....In addition to being a grail theme for me, I enjoy challenges to improve the game ( primarily for personal use, as I don't sell mods and such)

This is a special game for me on many levels....And some great people in the community to support it....Blue?!?... That's what I wanted, but was fortunate ( and happy) to grab a green one....

We press on.....

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Does the shooter fire reliably in coil test? maybe a loose connection somewhere?

Hi thanks for the suggestion, on testing the auto launch coil it works everytime in test mode... Strange right?

1537465753975147340669622200689 (resized).jpg1537465753975147340669622200689 (resized).jpg
#736 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

This sounds like a shooter lane switch issue. I know when I got my Full Throttle, the previous owner was having sporadic issues with the ball just randomly launching once it entered the lane. (A little different than your issue, but still somewhat similar in function). After I examined the issue, I noted the wire routing for the shooter lane switch was far too tight via the path they did from the factory. I rerouted it to give it some slack, and then tightened the connectors so they were snug on the switch spades. I haven't had a single issue since then. I don't want to jinx myself, but my FT has been bulletproof since I tightened everything up and went through the whole game.
What version of software are you running?

Will try this thanks! Running latest software.

#737 5 years ago

Routing path was fine not too tight. The connectors was loose on the spades but after tightening if anything has made it worse. not 100% sure but seems like it's now not launching at a higher %.

Can get it to fire everytime in testing the coil and works everytime once not launching and then going through all coils to find the ball (someone please put me out of my misery and tell me how to properly reference this process). but just refuses to work reliably on the first ball launch on each new ball....

A while back we tried and failed to update our io boards via USB and that's when this issue first started. So sounded like a software issue right, something got fucked up when we tried to update one of the io boards? ... Well thing is we factory reset the game and are now on a completely different set of blue io boards with the new software on them, so how on earth is that possible software issue still following us? !

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Routing path was fine not too tight. The connectors was loose on the spades but after tightening if anything has made it worse. not 100% sure but seems like it's now not launching at a higher %.
Can get it to fire everytime in testing the coil and works everytime once not launching and then going through all coils to find the ball (someone please put me out of my misery and tell me how to properly reference this process). but just refuses to work reliably on the first ball launch on each new ball....
A while back we tried and failed to update our io boards via USB and that's when this issue first started. So sounded like a software issue right, something got fucked up when we tried to update one of the io boards? ... Well thing is we factory reset the game and are now on a completely different set of blue io boards with the new software on them, so how on earth is that possible software issue still following us? !

Have you tried replacing the switch? In switch test, when you put a ball in the shooter lane, does it flash twice on the test menu?

#739 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Have you tried replacing the switch? In switch test, when you put a ball in the shooter lane, does it flash twice on the test menu?

Do you mean in "single switch test" menu?
Once in there and navigating to "shooter" it says "inactive" I'm not sure how to test it/ activate that?

Ball is in shooter lane but no flashes on test menu

15374706766335380738533626265797 (resized).jpg15374706766335380738533626265797 (resized).jpg
#740 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Ball is in shooter lane but no flashes on test menu

Sounds like that may be your problem. Get that switch working - and I suspect your ball will launch 100%.

#741 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Sounds like that may be your problem. Get that switch working - and I suspect your ball will launch 100%.

Agreed, this switch should flash in test when activated.

Take the ball out, and depress switch with your finger to see if you can get it to flash. If so, it probably just needs bent upwards slightly. In the test menu, you should see it flash with a ball in the lane.

#742 5 years ago

OK thanks guys looking at it now think we're onto something.

Don't think the switch was activating everytime when ball was on it. Trying to adjust it now

#743 5 years ago

Holy shit guys, thank-you that's done it!

I can't tell you how many restless nights me and my dad have had over our first pin this machine and dealing with Heighway Pinball.

Seriously everything had seemed to go against us since we first got into this hobby, from picking up a full throttle with immediate issues, no solutions and crap HP support, to waiting years and loosing our deposit on Alien #314 we didn't know what to do with ourselves.

Alien is what made us want to purchase a pin for home, the first two movies mean alot to us and full throttle was to serve as a little distraction for the wait. Well you could say we got a distraction all right...

Anyway thanks again to everyone that helped us just now, in the past and I'm sure in the future. And to everyone that helps out in this pinball community in general, seriously you guys are what makes it great.

Full throttle serves as a constant reminder of what was never to be, and a lesson well learnt. But as much as I'd like to say it's finally time to move on... We've been through too much to just leave Alien behind....

#744 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Holy shit guys, thank-you that's done it!
I can't tell you how many restless nights me and my dad have had over our first pin this machine and dealing with Heighway Pinball.
Seriously everything had seemed to go against us since we first got into this hobby, from picking up a full throttle with immediate issues, no solutions and crap HP support, to waiting years and loosing our deposit on Alien #314 we didn't know what to do with ourselves.
Alien is what made us want to purchase a pin for home, the first two movies mean alot to us and full throttle was to serve as a little distraction for the wait. Well you could say we got a distraction all right...
Anyway thanks again to everyone that helped us just now, in the past and I'm sure in the future. And to everyone that helps out in this pinball community in general, seriously you guys are what makes it great.
Full throttle serves as a constant reminder of what was never to be, and a lesson well learnt. But as much as I'd like to say it's finally time to move on... We've been through too much to just leave Alien behind....

Cool man, glad you got it worked out. You definitely picked a very undocumented game to start out on....LOL..... I will say, I have had a lot of machines, and fixed a lot of machines, and honestly, Full Throttle doesn't make me too nervous. Other than the IO Boards (which people are working to reproduce), this machine has a lot of off the shelf parts. Would a manual be nice? Absolutely. but, for the most part, a lot of stuff is easy to see, or is labeled, and you can visually work your way through a lot of the game.

I *really* enjoy my Full Throttle. Lots of different shots, and very fast, especially for a widebody.

#745 5 years ago

Full throttle is a great really fun game. You know I can't believe it was something so simple stupid in the end for this issue. We didn't stop to think whether the shooter lane could actually tell when a ball is in the lane or not and wouldn't fire unless certain conditions are met. Makes perfect sense now, we was too worried with other thoughts in our head from reading tons of negative things about the quality of Heighway's pinball games to just take a briefer and go back to basics.

Got alot of learning to do, but as I keep on hearing that's part of the fun.

#746 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

then going through all coils to find the ball (someone please put me out of my misery and tell me how to properly reference this process)

“Ball search”

#747 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

“Ball search”

and that was the moment I realised it was right there in front of me the whole time...

#748 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

and that was the moment I realised it was right there in front of me the whole time...

It can also be used as a pejorative term when you are playing badly and don’t hit a single switch for five or six seconds, vis, “I got ball searched”. Very embarrassing in tournament play.

#749 5 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Full throttle is a great really fun game. You know I can't believe it was something so simple stupid in the end for this issue. We didn't stop to think whether the shooter lane could actually tell when a ball is in the lane or not and wouldn't fire unless certain conditions are met. Makes perfect sense now, we was too worried with other thoughts in our head from reading tons of negative things about the quality of Heighway's pinball games to just take a briefer and go back to basics.
Got alot of learning to do, but as I keep on hearing that's part of the fun.

The games are actually really well built, Alien was a bit rushed so had more issues, but guys are getting them worked out. I spent hours and hours getting my Alien playing 100%. Sometimes its small things like this that make the game not play properly.

The funniest part I find is the community support for these games is much better than the factory support ever was.

#750 5 years ago

One of my Alien switches under the playfield doesn't work. It's the one behind the drop targets on the right side (the difficult facehugger shot... even harder without a working switch

How can I fix these switches? Are there any replacements available (in Europe)?

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,031 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/15?hl=take2-take5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.