(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By SunKing

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,004 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 days ago by QuickSilverShelby
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 124 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 8 votes
    5%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 16 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 13 votes
    8%

(173 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 148 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200910_133453 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200910_133506 (resized).jpg
P1020769 (resized).JPG
P1020767 (resized).JPG
67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg
E6CEDC86-F3E0-41B2-88B5-D4CC7E04493A (resized).jpeg
35C5276D-D5FB-45DF-AAD4-93325B0FD995 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190210_162802 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162848 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162824 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162722 (resized).jpg
9C98192E-8FBC-4529-8D96-87ECB570C133 (resized).jpeg
EB29CE8E-3C2F-4582-8174-41512ACC7552 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1004 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 21.
#601 2 years ago

Some owners have recommended replacing the USB cables with better quality ones. I've bought Anker brand from Amazon in the past and was happy with their quality.

#602 2 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

1. There have been times when I power up the game and it freezes on the screen that says booting. I have to turn the power button off/on again and usually it will complete booting up to game play. What’s happening here and can it be fixed?

I'm aware of this. The solution is just to power-cycle the game.

Quoted from rlslick:

2. Right upper flipper at times will just stop working. If a ball drains...the flipper will work again. No consistency on when it will stop working. What could the issue be??
3. During a player 1 game play I hit start to add player 2. When the player 2 game started...I noticed that some of the lights were off. Shot the ball into the top left scoop and it didn’t recognize it. It eventually went through ball check and knocked it out. Shot it into another scoop off to the left and the same thing happened. I believe had I shot at any target, the same would have been an issue. Help on understanding what may be the issue here would be helpful.

I suspect both of these issues are due to poor quality USB cables. If a USB cable wiggles enough to interrupt its connection, a full USB reset of the associated IOBoard needs to take place, which takes a few seconds... while that happens, all elements (switches, lamps, coils) on that IOBoard will be unresponsive.

I have also heard customer comments that this problem can be caused by a poor power supply connection to the IOBoard... I don't have personal experience with that. I'd at least give a shot to swapping USB cables if you're having this problem on a chronic basis.

(If you do replace the USB cable, I need to give my standard disclaimer: be VERY CAREFUL when handling the USB cable going to the IOBoards. The mini-USB port on the IOBoard is only held on with a couple solder points, so it's relatively easy to rip the USB port off the IOBoard... obviously, that would pretty much kill the IOBoard.)

Good luck!

#603 2 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

1. There have been times when I power up the game and it freezes on the screen that says booting.

Afaik this is a known issue. No known fix, but the work around is easy enough.
Your other two problems sound like you need to replace the USB cables with something of better quality. The ugreen ones the game comes with look ok; they're junk.

#604 2 years ago

I've seen all these issues at various times.

1. The boot-up freeze seems to hit everyone occasionally. I see it about 1 out of every 20 times. As you mentioned, turning power off/restarting usually works. Not sure of any fix here...

2 and 3 may be attributable to bad or somewhat loose USB cables. First, double check that all connections are good and tight. If you're still seeing issues, you may want to consider buying some higher end USB cables and replacing all the USB connections to the I/O boards and CPU.

Good luck!

EDIT: hahah - I didn't see all the replies to this post on the next page - thought I was the first to reply. Glad I didn't say anything different than anyone else.

#605 2 years ago

Ok so I think I finally got my sound/music optimized to the best i can. That vibration noise is mostly gone.. only really happens when I hit the airlock scoop and that exclamation comes up. If it comes back worse I may try replacing the amplifier as per other users. Now to work on the launcher. Two things happen either it launches finally then goes back into the launcher because it bounces back from from the wireform thingy, or the ball gets hung up from the apron area. I will try to find that pinball deadening foam that people talked about for the wireform, but the links are dead. Anyone know where I can get that?
Thanks!

#606 2 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Upon setting my game up and playing a few I noticed some issues. Seem like bugs and maybe one mechanical issue. Can anyone chime in if they have or are having similar issues.
1. There have been times when I power up the game and it freezes on the screen that says booting. I have to turn the power button off/on again and usually it will complete booting up to game play. What’s happening here and can it be fixed?
2. Right upper flipper at times will just stop working. If a ball drains...the flipper will work again. No consistency on when it will stop working. What could the issue be??
3. During a player 1 game play I hit start to add player 2. When the player 2 game started...I noticed that some of the lights were off. Shot the ball into the top left scoop and it didn’t recognize it. It eventually went through ball check and knocked it out. Shot it into another scoop off to the left and the same thing happened. I believe had I shot at any target, the same would have been an issue. Help on understanding what may be the issue here would be helpful.
Thanks - A

Do these three things first:

1) Make sure you are running the latest game software and IO board software.

2) gently unplug the mini usb cable from the top-most IO board and plug it back in.

3) move the upper flipper by hand. Does it move freely and quickly snap back to original position when you extend and let go? If not, it doesn’t have enough gap. Increase the gap and you are good to go.

#607 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

My Frendsfull throttle has a problem.
Got the yellow warn led stuck on IO board 1.
Reset button won't help.
Can i fix this?.
Or do i need a new one.
revision 1.4b 0.6
Help needed.

Quoted from PinBackpacker:

I have a handful of 1.4B I/O boards for sale. PM me if interested. Thanks.

#608 2 years ago

Have any Full Throttle owners found either of the Easter eggs hidden in the plastics art?

#609 2 years ago

Does anyone have the dimensions of Alien? Specifically, the length and width of the glass-frame.

#610 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Does anyone have the dimensions of Alien? Specifically, the length and width of the glass-frame.

Outer dimensions are 48 1/4" by 25 3/4" .

#611 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Outer dimensions are 48 1/4" by 25 3/4" .

Excellent. Thank you!

#612 2 years ago

Does anybody know where the infamous actual "screw" is located?

"For me it was the screw. would not even calibrate correctly.
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would extend but wouldn't retract (magnet too strong on field).
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would retract, but wouldn't drop the ball.
Turned the screw clockwise more and now it drops the ball."

#613 2 years ago

Is it safe to buy an Alien (showroommodel) so maybe it is one from the first runs...

#614 2 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Is it safe to buy an Alien (showroommodel) so maybe it is one from the first runs...

I guess it depends on if it all works and plays, most early ones needed sub cables replaced and had old xeno mech

#615 2 years ago

A friend of mine has a early game. It took some work but this machine is working fine right now.
If you buy the machine from RS in Austria, they take care on theit customers !
If you buy the machine in Germany .. compare prices

#616 2 years ago

Hey guys when I activate the right flipper the scream again lights flash... some sort of interference noise ? Anyone have a fix?

#617 2 years ago

the noise there is no fix for

the lights flashing not sure about

#618 2 years ago

Is the building date mentioned on the box?
Thanks

#619 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Does anybody know where the infamous actual "screw" is located?
"For me it was the screw. would not even calibrate correctly.
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would extend but wouldn't retract (magnet too strong on field).
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would retract, but wouldn't drop the ball.
Turned the screw clockwise more and now it drops the ball."

That did the trick. Thanks to folks that pointed out location of the screw.

Its so tiny it doesn't even look like a screw. I used a tiny phillips and it was hard to tell if i was even turning but Xeno head is fully functional for now and quite awesome!

#620 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey guys when I activate the right flipper the scream again lights flash... some sort of interference noise ? Anyone have a fix?

My game had a similar issue, and was fixed when I replaced a neighboring bad light board. (It was not the scream again light that was replaced - I think it was the right revive insert.)

Try checking to see if some connections are loose on that board. Go through the lamp test to see if any led's are bad. Swap or bypass boards to check.

My symptom also included a few other inserts that were out when the one board was replaced, so it may not be the same thing.

#621 2 years ago

My Xenomoprh tongue keeps getting stuck, switch error and won't calibrate. Although when I test the switch it works. Anyone familiar with this issue and any fixes? Thanks in advance. Also having trouble with the Jaw, it's very intermittent.

#622 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Install the 14.09 firmware update on each of the playfield IO boards. The flippers are controlled by IO board #3, so start with that one first. You don't need to update the cabinet board to 14.09 although it doesn't hurt.

14.09 changes the way that coils are pulsed to minimize noise which gets into the LED wiring. You may get an occasional flicker still but it should be much, much better.

There are other posts around here which explain how to do the firmware update.

#623 2 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Install the 14.09 firmware update on each of the playfield IO boards. The flippers are controlled by IO board #3, so start with that one first. You don't need to update the cabinet board to 14.09 although it doesn't hurt.
14.09 changes the way that coils are pulsed to minimize noise which gets into the LED wiring. You may get an occasional flicker still but it should be much, much better.
There are other posts around here which explain how to do the firmware update.

Hey thanks for the reply, do you know where I can get download this update?
Thanks
MM

#624 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey thanks for the reply, do you know where I can get download this update?
Thanks
MM

The 14.09 firmware was shipped as part of the last software release, 1.2. So it's already on the SSD and just needs to be manually installed on the IO boards.

#625 2 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

The 14.09 firmware was shipped as part of the last software release, 1.2. So it's already on the SSD and just needs to be manually installed on the IO boards.

Oh I did that part already.. I went through every board and updated it.. still does this scream again flashing thing when I hit the right flipper.. Thanks

#626 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

My Xenomoprh tongue keeps getting stuck, switch error and won't calibrate. Although when I test the switch it works. Anyone familiar with this issue and any fixes? Thanks in advance. Also having trouble with the Jaw, it's very intermittent.

Make sure the jaw isn't hitting the top of the targets.

#627 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Make sure the jaw isn't hitting the top of the targets.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't appear to be.

#628 2 years ago

I am looking for some instruction for cloning the OS and game files from the SSD, or...purchasing SSDs and mobos used in Alien since Heighway is no more and no longer offers support. What is the best resource?

#629 2 years ago
Quoted from Knightman:

I am looking for some instruction for cloning the OS and game files from the SSD, or...purchasing SSDs and mobos used in Alien since Heighway is no more and no longer offers support. What is the best resource?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive/page/4#post-4417562

Looks like those don't work anymore. The instructions are valid though

Try this

http://www.rs-pinball.at/alien/

#630 2 years ago

I cloned my spare pc (source in the other thread)with this instruction http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html
and it worked perfectly ....

#631 2 years ago

Finally fixed my ball launch problem. Had to put a piece of electrical tape to block an area that the ball kept hanging in. It works, not very visible. Ball launches have improved about 80-90%

IMG_0949 (resized).jpg

#632 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Finally fixed my ball launch problem. Had to put a piece of electrical tape to block an area that the ball kept hanging in. It works, not very visible. Ball launches have improved about 80-90%
[quoted image]

Well it worked great for about 3-4 days then the ball started to get stuck again in that groove.. must be the tape didn't keep the tension. Anyone else have a simple solution? Should I put a small piece of wood in that gap? Its like right between the apron and the metal part of the ball launcher I hope its clear in the photo above

#633 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Well it worked great for about 3-4 days then the ball started to get stuck again in that groove.. must be the tape didn't keep the tension. Anyone else have a simple solution? Should I put a small piece of wood in that gap? Its like right between the apron and the metal part of the ball launcher I hope its clear in the photo above

On my game, it's not the gap so much as that goofy screw head sticking up. But it only happens 10% of the time for me, so I haven't tried to address it.

You are perfectly level and have a nice aggressive 8ish percent incline, right? Just doing those things really helped mine initially.

#634 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

On my game, it's not the gap so much as that goofy screw head sticking up. But it only happens 10% of the time for me, so I haven't tried to address it.
You are perfectly level and have a nice aggressive 8ish percent incline, right? Just doing those things really helped mine initially.

I will evaluate that, yes perhaps my incline is not set right. Thanks for the tip

#635 2 years ago

I was thinking about trying to put one of these passive ball stops in. Looks like I'd have to cut the apron tho.
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1168

#636 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I will evaluate that, yes perhaps my incline is not set right. Thanks for the tip

my guess is the switch wire is bent up to high, try bending it down a bit

#637 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I shoved a couple of empty toilet paper tubes in mine and that has held up.

#638 2 years ago

How can you update the io boards from 1.3 06 to 1.4 06.
I have the latest version 141 software and 1,4b io boards.
But my FT has not the option to upgrade de io to1.4 only downgrade.
I need to upgrade board1. board 2,3 and 4 have 1.4 06.

#639 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

How can you update the io boards from 1.3 06 to 1.4 06.
I have the latest version 141 software and 1,4b io boards.
But my FT has not the option to upgrade de io to1.4 only downgrade.
I need to upgrade board1. board 2,3 and 4 have 1.4 06.

I have the instructions on my website -
http://weirpinball.com/full%20throttle/Service%20Bulletin%20004b%20-%20Software%20Update%201.41.pdf
http://weirpinball.com/full%20throttle/fullthrottle.html

#640 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I'd check the gears, as they can wear down. Take the Xeno head off (screw on each side) and check to see if the gears that move the tongue have worn down. If they are worn, I know there are people on this board who have 3D printed new gears and can probably hook you up with them.

#641 2 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

I'd check the gears, as they can wear down. Take the Xeno head off (screw on each side) and check to see if the gears that move the tongue have worn down. If they are worn, I know there are people on this board who have 3D printed new gears and can probably hook you up with them.

What's strange is that this issue was happening out of the box before I even played the game.

#642 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

What's strange is that this issue was happening out of the box before I even played the game.

Gotcha. Mine sometimes gets stuck when the ball is on the tongue. The tongue goes back into the mouth, but doesn't pull the ball all the way back, so the ball/tongue is stuck in the mouth. To fix it, I just manually push the tongue all the way back into the mouth. Sometimes takes a couple tries. This usually lets me play about 20 or more games before I have to push the tongue back in again. If this is the issue you're having, I'd like a more permanent fix for it as well.

#643 2 years ago
Quoted from legionsoup:

Gotcha. Mine sometimes gets stuck when the ball is on the tongue. The tongue goes back into the mouth, but doesn't pull the ball all the way back, so the ball/tongue is stuck in the mouth. To fix it, I just manually push the tongue all the way back into the mouth. Sometimes takes a couple tries. This usually lets me play about 20 or more games before I have to push the tongue back in again. If this is the issue you're having, I'd like a more permanent fix for it as well.

Go to the two Xeno boards on the back board of the PF

"I took off the one on the left as you are looking back to the front of the pin.

It was easier to get at the silver tiny screw that way.

I used a tiny Phillips head to turn the screw a couple of what felt like quarter clockwise turns

Works great now

Also look at the switch on that board that stays depressed against the back board to make sure it’s situated properly."

#644 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Go to the two Xeno boards on the back board of the PF
"I took off the one on the left as you are looking back to the front of the pin.
It was easier to get at the silver tiny screw that way.
I used a tiny Phillips head to turn the screw a couple of what felt like quarter clockwise turns
Works great now
Also look at the switch on that board that stays depressed against the back board to make sure it’s situated properly."

Would you be willing to take a picture of the screw and the depressed switch?

#645 2 years ago

I ordered a new amplifier as per other users, my current one, once I turn that black dial up to get more bass.. starts rattling the whole cabinet like crazy and making weird noises. Not sure if its the amplifier or something else, anyone else had this problem?
Thanks

#646 2 years ago

Reed first before you give a answer.
Look at the picture i have 141 but there is no 104 6 io option.
So wat to do to get this.
So how can i reset every thing so the computer acept 1.41 as a new software.

FJIMG_20180812_183750 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20180812_183812 (resized).jpg
#647 2 years ago

I don't have a full throttle, but did you read the instructions? It mentions updating each board individually - so it looks like you have to update your 101 board. As far as the software update, I would try installing again and see if it takes.

#648 2 years ago

Hi there,
I will be a new Alien pin owner at the end of month.
This game has some issues and I guess I will have them too.
Is there a way to have a post that resumes all issues and fixes known currently?
I know it is some work but it would prevent to ask several time for the same issue.
Thanks a lot.

#649 2 years ago

Got my backup rig tested!

1534192062984443954998 (resized).jpg
#650 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

I have a handful of 1.4B I/O boards for sale. PM me if interested. Thanks.

Thanks for the io board, its working perfectly.
My amber flashing board is reloaded so it works also now.
So i have a spare one now.
Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 4.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 23.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Professor Pinball
$ 6.50
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
There are 1004 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside