(Topic ID: 201079)

Heighway Pinball support (Full Throttle and Alien)

By PartyKing

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 945 posts
  • 139 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 76 days ago by megaladon
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How well is Heighway supporting it's customers?”

• I don't own a Heighway game 118 votes
    72%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been great! 7 votes
    4%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has been OK. 14 votes
    9%
  • I own a Heighway game, and the support has NOT been OK. 12 votes
    7%
  • I own a Heighway game, and have received ZERO support despite many requests. 13 votes
    8%

(164 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

67C7010C-541D-42A2-8671-135FD90003CC (resized).jpeg
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
6E18543B-7845-4EB1-818B-B2EDDF49BF07 (resized).jpeg
E6CEDC86-F3E0-41B2-88B5-D4CC7E04493A (resized).jpeg
35C5276D-D5FB-45DF-AAD4-93325B0FD995 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190210_162802 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162848 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162824 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190210_162722 (resized).jpg
9C98192E-8FBC-4529-8D96-87ECB570C133 (resized).jpeg
EB29CE8E-3C2F-4582-8174-41512ACC7552 (resized).jpeg
B3E2BDF9-F753-47C3-A3C5-7752E4928B46 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2351 (resized).JPG
IMG_6256 (resized).JPG
IO Board V1.1.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 945 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 19.
#451 1 year ago

I've tried turning the screw a few times before, still no change there either. Is it possible that my flipper dying issue and this issue are due to me having original I/O boards? Are those incompatible with the newer computer or code?

#452 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I reduced the power of everything in the game by at least 5% slings, scoop kickouts, etc--but the troublesome flipper I put at 25% reduced power. I also put 25% lower on everything labeled "Not Used" and made sure beacon, shaker, and other features I don't have on my machine are disabled or reduced as low as possible. No change. If anything, the flipper is dying out sooner than before since now it's happening early in the first game, usually ball 2. Maybe the ball is activating a feature or contacting something on the playfield that is causing that flipper to shut down?

Did you check the flipper button switches in the cab? Mine came unscrewed and my left flipper wasn't always making contact so it seemed like it would die.

#453 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Did you check the flipper button switches in the cab? Mine came unscrewed and my left flipper wasn't always making contact so it seemed like it would die.

Everyone should probably check this. Had no problems for many months and then flipper mayhem.

#454 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Did that take out both the upper and lower flippers or just one of the left flippers? I'll see what happens, but the lower right flipper still works for me after the upper right goes out.

#455 1 year ago

This is an essential part they left off the switches, and they used the wrong screws - should be pan head...

IMG_7094 (resized).JPG

#456 1 year ago

I wanted to ask if anyone has added a Shaker motor to the SE.
Is there one that will fit now or do you need to do a bit of modding.

I was also reading that it might be possible to add the beacons to the top of an SE.
Anyway had any tried?
I vaguely remember someone saying they found where you can buy them.

#457 1 year ago
Quoted from Saber:

I wanted to ask if anyone has added a Shaker motor to the SE.
Is there one that will fit now or do you need to do a bit of modding.
I was also reading that it might be possible to add the beacons to the top of an SE.
Anyway had any tried?
I vaguely remember someone saying they found where you can buy them.

I ordered a shaker motor for my SE from Melissa at Coin Taker. You can order on eBay the beacon lights.

#458 1 year ago

Re: Alien Upgrades.. I heard that the drop targets is one of the things that needs to be upgraded/modified when you change out the PC, etc. (along with the LED's, xeno boards, etc). I haven't seen any information on exactly what is required.. Does anyone have any information on this?

#459 1 year ago

I'm not sure where to get the updated hardware - but here's a post referencing the issue.

Quoted from bcd:

Check that it's version 0.94 to be sure. That's the only version of the code that supports this particular combination of hardware.

Installing 1.00 or higher on this equipment will cause two problems: the LED numbering changed, so the lighting will be all crazy; and the drop target board has inverted signals (drop down will be detected as drop up, and vice versa). This will also be very confusing and may cause the reset coil to fire continuously.

#460 1 year ago
Quoted from brett:

I ordered a shaker motor for my SE from Melissa at Coin Taker. You can order on eBay the beacon lights.

Yea I heard that but I can't get hold of Melissa. Been emailing for over a week now.
They list 2 types.
One for Spike and one for Sam.
Do you know what one you need to get for Alien.

#461 1 year ago

Anyone know where you can buy the RBG LED chips used on Alien.
One of mine has blown and I reckon it is probably worth getting a few of them as spare.

IMG_8100 (resized).JPG

#462 1 year ago
Quoted from Saber:

Anyone know where you can buy the RBG LED chips used on Alien.
One of mine has blown and I reckon it is probably worth getting a few of them as spare.

No luck with that yet. Been in touch with helmut and fast Pinball. Might have the absolute to duplicate but still working it.

#463 1 year ago
Quoted from Saber:

Yea I heard that but I can't get hold of Melissa. Been emailing for over a week now.
They list 2 types.
One for Spike and one for Sam.
Do you know what one you need to get for Alien.

I just looked, it doesn’t say on the motor.
I do know they had some issues with some.
Mine had worked perfect.
It really adds to the game.

#464 1 year ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

No luck with that yet. Been in touch with helmut and fast Pinball. Might have the absolute to duplicate but still working it.

Cool... thx mate.
At least they can be replaced.. so that is really good news.
Just need to be able to find them.
But sounds like they might be a custom job.
Hope you have success.

#465 1 year ago
Quoted from Saber:

Cool... thx mate.
At least they can be replaced.. so that is really good news.
Just need to be able to find them.
But sounds like they might be a custom job.
Hope you have success.

ok.. Sounds like I am just gonna have to wait till I hear back from Melissa.

Was it just a plug and play install or did you have to mod the motor to work?

#466 1 year ago

I've been going through each of the popular Alien-related topic photo galleries seeking good pictures of the proper wiring for each coil. It looks like the wiring from one machine to another is inconsistent for the shooter coil, drop target coil, and even some of the flipper coils. Can I get a few hi-resolution photos of how the coils are properly wired throughout the machine? I can usually only make out which lug has the purple wire then any decent photo gets muddy as I look at other coils pictured.

#467 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Jag har gått igenom alla populära Alien-relaterade ämne fotogallerier som söker bra bilder på rätt ledningar för varje spole. Det verkar som om kablarna från en maskin till en annan är inkonsekvent för skyttespolen, släpp målspolen och till och med några av spolens spolar. Kan jag få några högupplösta bilder på hur spolarna är ordentligt anslutna i hela maskinen? Jag kan oftast bara ta reda på vilken slang som har den lila tråden, då blir ett anständigt foto luddigt när jag tittar på andra spolar som visas.

These connecters goes to the uper flipper. Have you checked the solderings on the back of the card? I think your problem is there. Some of the soldering on the games are bad.

DSC_0070 (resized).JPGScreenshot_20180531-223709 (resized).png
#468 1 year ago

Question for the Alien owners: in testing all lamps, the start button won’t light. Tried several different bulbs and make sure wiring was connected. Then, when playing the pin, both the start Button and the coin door lights don’t work (coin door lights work in all lamps test). Has anyone else run into this situation?

Thanks Michael

#469 1 year ago
Quoted from brett:

More
I just looked, it doesn’t say on the motor.
I do know they had some issues with some.
Mine had worked perfect.
It really adds to the game.

I just heard from Melissa a few days ago on this very question. Alien uses the older SAM system shaker motor. I just ordered mine. Good luck!

#470 1 year ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Question for the Alien owners: in testing all lamps, the start button won’t light. Tried several different bulbs and make sure wiring was connected. Then, when playing the pin, both the start Button and the coin door lights don’t work (coin door lights work in all lamps test). Has anyone else run into this situation?
Thanks Michael

There are two sets of wires to the start button. Regular and Aux. Check to make sure the right ones are plugged in. Check to make sure the bulb isn't loose.

#471 1 year ago

ok so you have to use the SAM stern shaker

technically, what is the difference between a SPIKE SAM DATA EAST shaker for example and why others are incompatible?

#472 1 year ago
Quoted from cyber-greg:

ok so you have to use the SAM stern shaker
technically, what is the difference between a SPIKE SAM DATA EAST shaker for example and why others are incompatible?

Sam shakers found here https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1352

#473 1 year ago

ok thank you, but what I do not understand is that the SAM uses an additional card to work, while the alien I know with shaker are connected live

#474 1 year ago

Not sure why Melissa said SAM shaker. It’s a spike shaker hookup. Direct wiring to the shaker motor, no board in between. Same harness as in my Iron Maiden.

2C482BCA-BFFD-4226-B025-D894BADE137F (resized).jpeg45DF5E4C-25C8-4531-BEE5-C1A5F57206F1 (resized).jpeg
#475 1 year ago

Oh ok that's what it seemed to me. I understand better. knockerlover, your shaker is original in your pinball

#476 1 year ago

More
I just heard from Melissa a few days ago on this very question. Alien uses the older SAM system shaker motor. I just ordered mine. Good luck!

Here’s an update. Received my Cointaker shaker kit for SAM system, and I could tell right away this wasn’t compatible. It didn’t even match the instructions I received. It included a smallcontroller board and 2 sets of molex connectors. The changeover to using this for Spike was easy. Just remove the connection to the board included with the shaker and you have the Spike system shaker, which is just one 5 pin molex connector that plugs directly into the Alien board in the bottom of the cabinet already marked for it. Installation was easy and works perfectly. So the Spike system is the way to go here, but if you already have the SAM one, you can make that work as well!

#477 1 year ago

I received and installed my SAM shaker successfully, in test everything is OK. I will give my impressions later.

I would just like to recall this thread of discussion about stern shakers which explains that SAM and SPIKE are very different.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-warning-post-shaker-motors

#478 1 year ago
Quoted from cyber-greg:

I received and installed my SAM shaker successfully, in test everything is OK. I will give my impressions later.
I would just like to recall this thread of discussion about stern shakers which explains that SAM and SPIKE are very different.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-warning-post-shaker-motors

Can you share your installation steps?

Also that thread looks like OEM vs Aftermarket shakers not Spike vs SAM?

#479 1 year ago

There was an option for shaker when purchase of a Standard edition

#480 1 year ago

it seems to me that it is in this thread that it is explained that in the motor SAM there is a capacitor connected to the motor that there is not on the spike, and that can pose big problems on spike. I may have been wrong, sorry.

so my intallation was very easy. I simply plugged the connector on the pinball card where it is written shaker. I screwed the shaker on the front right of the pinball machine. attention, it is necessary that the shaker is advanced forward of the pinball, if not the tray can be closed properly, the stretcher will touch the shaker.

#481 1 year ago

I have a problem with 5 led's. The two left "revive" inserts sometimes work, as well as the two led "bulb" lights under the lower left plastic, and the left "Scream" led. On the individual lamp test, they are A16, A17, A1GI, and A19 and A20.

Sometimes they will work correctly, but only briefly instantly after I boot up the game right as it's going into attract mode. After 1 or 2 seconds, the attract flashing for these 5 lamps stop, and one Revive insert will remain solid and never change color or go out, (as well as one other led under the plastic). The other 3 will stay unlit. I can even remove the wire connector between A16 and A17, but the led will still remain lit, like something is shorting.

I don't know what is causing a disconnect with these 5 led's. I've jiggled connectors and I don't know where the source of the problem is. I do know that the actual LED's are good, as they sometimes work briefly. Everything was working fine, but I let the game sit for awhile and things failed from not being used at all.

I really think it's a loose connector or wire (not the board because I've seen them all flash briefly at times.) I just can't pinpoint the connector or wire that is to blame.

Any suggestions on where to look, or how to troubleshoot and/or fix this?

#482 1 year ago

I've had a few LEDs go bad, and they'd work sporadically like you describe. Replace or swap with the end of a gi chain is what I'd do.

#483 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

I have a problem with 5 led's. The two left "revive" inserts sometimes work, as well as the two led "bulb" lights under the lower left plastic, and the left "Scream" led. On the individual lamp test, they are A16, A17, A1GI, and A19 and A20.
Sometimes they will work correctly, but only briefly instantly after I boot up the game right as it's going into attract mode. After 1 or 2 seconds, the attract flashing for these 5 lamps stop, and one Revive insert will remain solid and never change color or go out, (as well as one other led under the plastic). The other 3 will stay unlit. I can even remove the wire connector between A16 and A17, but the led will still remain lit, like something is shorting.
I don't know what is causing a disconnect with these 5 led's. I've jiggled connectors and I don't know where the source of the problem is. I do know that the actual LED's are good, as they sometimes work briefly. Everything was working fine, but I let the game sit for awhile and things failed from not being used at all.
I really think it's a loose connector or wire (not the board because I've seen them all flash briefly at times.) I just can't pinpoint the connector or wire that is to blame.
Any suggestions on where to look, or how to troubleshoot and/or fix this?

Try reseating the IO board and see what happens.
Also if that doesnt fix the issue, try swapping that IO board with another from the game and see if the issue is resolved.
If so, its the IO board for sure

#484 1 year ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

More
Try reseating the IO board and see what happens.
Also if that doesnt fix the issue, try swapping that IO board with another from the game and see if the issue is resolved.
If so, its the IO board for sure

They are chained together 6 per chain

Remove all the ones on that chain and test separate where you know they work to find the faulty one

#485 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

They are chained together 6 per chain
Remove all the ones on that chain and test separate where you know they work to find the faulty one

I appreciate the responses. I've already reseated connectors.

I will remove the individual led's to see if I can find the culprit. Is that what you are suggesting, that there is just one bad led?

Here is a video showing how the inserts look perfectly normal right as the game is booting up. Look closely at the left outlane area, Revive and Scream inserts.

After 1 second. The left revive insert locks on, and never changes. Scream goes out and never lights again. It seems to occur right as the game starts that xeno tongue test at bootup.

#486 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

I will remove the individual led's to see if I can find the culprit. Is that what you are suggesting, that there is just one bad led?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/9#post-4403273

It sounds like you have a flaky LED.... I ran into the same thing with my Full Throttle.

Do all of the lights work in the individual lamp tests?

#487 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/9#post-4403273
It sounds like you have a flaky LED.... I ran into the same thing with my Full Throttle.
Do all of the lights work in the individual lamp tests?

Thank you everybody! It's all working perfectly now. I really appreciate everyone's help with suggestions, and that link explaining the LED chain setup was really helpful.

Yep, it was one bad LED. The problem LED was the left REVIVE (the one that remained solidly lit after boot up).

Replaced it with a spare, and it's working great.

#489 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

Replaced it with a spare, and it's working great.

Where'd you get the spare LED?

#490 1 year ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Yes...do tell.

#491 1 year ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I had received a replacement board from Helmut while he was still providing support, and I saved all the led's from my old board before I sent it back.

#492 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

I had received a replacement board from Helmut while he was still providing support, and I saved all the led's from my old board before I sent it back.

Where can we find these replacement LEDs?

#493 1 year ago

Where can we find these replacement LEDs?

You can't... yet.... There has been talk of someone stepping up and reproducing them though....

#494 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You can't... yet.... There has been talk of someone stepping up and reproducing them though....

Working on it..

#495 1 year ago

You have a buyer here... just keep us posted!

#496 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

You have a buyer here...

Ditto...

#497 1 year ago

I'm anxious to hear about I/O Boards.. If those are out there the game will live.

#498 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm anxious to hear about I/O Boards.. If those are out there the game will live.

Don't you mean ... if the i/o boards are out your machine dies, however once replaced, the game comes alive!

#499 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Nitro in Canada will be coming out with replacement I/O boards...when exactly I don't know but they did say they would be doing it.

Quote from them: "We'll also be making replacement IO boards for those in need."

#500 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Nitro in Canada will be coming out with replacement I/O boards...when exactly I don't know but they did say they would be doing it.

I can't wait to see these up for sale.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Machine - For Sale
Los Altos, CA
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 50.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Bridgewater, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hurricane, WV
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 945 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside