• 42 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Bjorn_DK
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What would you like to see on the Heighway backglass?”

• Speaker cutouts on the plastic translite (as per left picture) + no backbox screen 5 votes
    5%
  • Speaker cutouts on the plastic translite (as per left picture) WITH optional backbox screen 22 votes
    21%
  • Shiny metal mesh speaker grills (as per right picture) + no backbox screen 6 votes
    6%
  • Shiny metal mesh speaker grills (as per right picture) WITH optional backbox screen 64 votes
    62%
  • No opinion 6 votes
    6%

(103 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

full-throttle-full-screen.jpg
ft speaker panel 3.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone,

As many of you will know, we really value the feedback and opinions of Pinsiders. Over the development process, we have made a number of modifications, including key artwork changes, based on your feedback.

Our translite area is changing, and we would love to know your opinion. Please take a look at this photo. The old version is on the left, with cutouts in the plastic panel for the speakers, and the new version - with shiny metal mesh covering the speakers - is on the right

We are also evaluating a second 10.1" LCD screen, which would mirror the playfield screen, and would be located between the speakers. Currently, this is planned to be an optional extra.

So, please vote, and let us know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Heighway Pinball

ft speaker panel 3.jpg
#2 4 years ago

I much prefer the one on the right, has a more polished look to it.

#3 4 years ago

I guess it depends of functionality and upgradability, The one on the right appears more functional in that you can put in larger speakers and is easier to change and upgrade later on if needed.You can also put in custom grills in those spots as per themes.

#4 4 years ago

I think the optional screen is a good idea. While watching the game at expo I found myself continually looking up to the backbox for score and progress information.

I guess old habits are hard to break.

#5 4 years ago

New speaker panel with optional screen but I would prefer black mesh rather than shiny silver mesh. Also please paint the speaker holes black so that the wood/particle board is not glowing.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We are also evaluating a second 10.1" LCD screen, which would mirror the playfield screen, and would be located between the speakers.

This is a great idea. Had totally not considered it over the years of watching you build this machine, but for spectators (especially on location) the second display would be a huge benefit.

#7 4 years ago

Is the panel 1 piece? Meaning, is the black banded portion the same piece as the above artwork? If not, then I like the right with the mesh grills, it feels more like a traditional backbox. However, it appears these may be one piece, in which case, I would actually argue to extend the artwork down to the bottom and go with the layout on the left. This would have more of a Cirqus Voltaire full backbox feel and the small holes from the left option would blend into the artwork and would look less intrusive than the black bar at the bottom.

#8 4 years ago

I'm all for the additional LCD. I was planning on kludging together a mod, so if this can be done at factory i'm all for it. Since the system is modular that extra expense is carried forward to other games.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

New speaker panel with optional screen but I would prefer black mesh rather than shiny silver mesh. Also please paint the speaker holes black so that the wood/particle board is not glowing.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Those speaker holes on the right picture stick out like a sore thumb.

#10 4 years ago

New style is great, very nice look, but to take it up a notch i would definetely paint the speaker cutouts black so they dont stick out so much. Great work!

#11 4 years ago

Gonna be a big market for alt translite on this one.

#12 4 years ago

I like the original backbox style and not that it would matter to me but another small display between the speakers could be nice. Either way I think this game is going to be great and judging from the beauty of FThrottle and with the theme of Aliens it could become a classic very quickly.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Is the panel 1 piece? Meaning, is the black banded portion the same piece as the above artwork? If not, then I like the right with the mesh grills, it feels more like a traditional backbox. However, it appears these may be one piece, in which case, I would actually argue to extend the artwork down to the bottom and go with the layout on the left. This would have more of a Cirqus Voltaire full backbox feel and the small holes from the left option would blend into the artwork and would look less intrusive than the black bar at the bottom.

I suspect that the desire for an optional LCD screen in the backbox would squish this idea, which I've suggested before too. It would really make the Heighway games stand out in a great way though if they had a slim backbox like they do now, but with the translite graphic taking up the whole space like CV.

#14 4 years ago

Either is great just please have the optional back box LCD screen!!!! I agree with several above though, option C - black mesh speakers if done with mesh

#15 4 years ago

Here, mockup of what a full screen might look like, CV style, just for fun.

full-throttle-full-screen.jpg

#16 4 years ago

The playfield LCD should be the optional one.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I suspect that the desire for an optional LCD screen in the backbox would squish this idea, which I've suggested before too. It would really make the Heighway games stand out in a great way though if they had a slim backbox like they do now, but with the translite graphic taking up the whole space like CV.

Quoted from Aurich:

You're right the optional LCD might push this option out, but as your mock-up shows, the full screen looks SO much better than with the black bar at the bottom.

#18 4 years ago

Yes yes yes I LOVE the upper LCD idea! I think the old style looks a bit more slick, to be honest, but as long as that center LCD is an option I'll be happy with either

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

This is a great idea. Had totally not considered it over the years of watching you build this machine, but for spectators (especially on location) the second display would be a huge benefit.

The idea probably came from people saying one should've been as standard?

You have no idea how strange it is to play or spectate without a display there. In before "you don't look at screen when playing"... some people do and it's a habit you come accustomed to from playing over the years.

#20 4 years ago

I loved the game when I played it but have to admit I kept looking up. Hard habit to break. Also when watching someone else play it was hard to follow.
Either way I still love the game and have one coming.

#21 4 years ago

The problem with the speaker grill being part of the translite means that the plastic is subject to breakage due to thin "spaces" between the holes.

#22 4 years ago

Black speaker grills w/LCD please. The cut out plastic holes look cheap.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The problem with the speaker grill being part of the translite means that the plastic is subject to breakage due to thin "spaces" between the holes.

Never seen that problem on CV.

#24 4 years ago

Why not Aurich's full screen mock-up with the optional LCD?

The thing about the backbox LCD/display is that it is there just as much for people watching as it is for the player. It's also an attention grabber on location for people walking by. It really needs to be there in addition to the PF. I care much more about that than the aesthetics of the speaker grills.

#25 4 years ago

The full screen mock-up by Aurich looks very nice - but it doesn't allow for the placement of an LCD screen - that's one of the problems. The other problem is that it is very difficult to light the translite panel evenly when you are dealing with speakers and speaker brackets at the bottom of the backbox.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

The full screen mock-up by Aurich looks very nice - but it doesn't allow for the placement of an LCD screen - that's one of the problems. The other problem is that it is very difficult to light the translite panel evenly when you are dealing with speakers and speaker brackets at the bottom of the backbox.

Yeah, I figured the LCD screen would make it tough, only works if you stick to your guns about the playfield screen.

But for the other part, it worked great on CV. So it's obviously possible. Just a design challenge. I even gave a nod to that in my mockup by darkening the area where the speakers are.

With LED tech it would be easier to solve I imagine. And you just make it part of your design process, knowing what that area is like.

Not trying to throw a wrench into your poll or anything, just think it would be a really awesome look that would make your games stand out in a great way. Gives the backbox a lot more punch. I can't wait to see the Aliens art, but I'm just imagining how it would look filling that whole area ...

#27 4 years ago

It's be cool if the two options were full art (probably preferable for a home) and then non-full art but with LCD (probably preferable for operators).

I don't know how challenging/practical it would be for Heighway to be producing it both ways like that, though.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Black speaker grills w/LCD please. The cut out plastic holes look cheap.

This would be my vote as well.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was thinking Road Kings when I read it. Same as CV, though with displays in the backbox: those are just positioned behind the translite. It would ask for a translite with 'white' behind the pics and 'transparent' where the LCD goes. If that's possible, I'd prefer that!

In Road Kings, the lower part is made darker, I'm not sure if you can make that fit with the art of Full Throttle?
See: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1970&picno=14947&zoom=1

#30 4 years ago

Well.... actually it's not a translite in Road Kings but printed hard plastic.

#31 4 years ago

Andrew,

great topic. First off, I'm liking the new panel/metal mesh grille version. Looks more "balanced".

But, the main point is definitely kudos on the idea of a second LCD between the speakers. After playing it/watching it at Chicago Expo, it definitely brought to the fore the idea having something for spectators.

I was playing my brother, and wanting to see how he was doing. Couldn't tell if he was rocking it, if he had an extra ball, or anything. I can definitely see even more of a benefit for competetive play. The second screen would allow the other players to see how things are going without crowding the player currently at the flippers...

Keep up the good work!

Later,
EV

#32 4 years ago

As do many others, I too like the idea of a display in the backbox as it does give something for others to see. However, I just can't help but feel a totally replicated display is so...well...redundant.

Mainly because of the swappable system, I'm seriously considering the first couple Heighway games, and I supposed I'd pop for the extra display. I just feel like broadcasting the same thing in 2 places 3 feet away from each other seems so repetitive. Now, if the screens had different info on them, that would be cool, but understandably would increase the animation requirements which may not be feasible either.

#33 4 years ago

Andrew,

I quite enjoy your proactive and positive approach to discussions here on pinside. It is nice to see a company at least trying to listen to potential customers. Good communication and feedback is key. I am quite looking forward to seeing and playing your products. As an avid motorcyclist and Aliens fan, both of your themes appeal to me. I am not a pre-order kind of guy just as I am not a Vegas gambler, however, if these pins achieve their potential (as it looks like they will) then I will have a very hard time not buying at least one of them. I would probably buy both but my wife would furrow her eyebrow and send me scrambling to the next room. Now if you could create a pin similar to a Murphy's Bed (that folds away into the wall), I might be able to sneak another one by her.

Seriously though, well done and I am really looking forward to Aliens and FT.

Cheers.

#34 4 years ago

Still think the backbox is the worst part of the whole pin and system.

Which by the way is a great achievement that the rest looks so great. But the backbox, to me, just does not look good. A bit cheap and goofy.

Think the size, not sticking out on the sides, makes a big differance.

Good thing is, i think this is on about the most easy part to change, if they want to.

#35 4 years ago

Old panel with optional backbox screen for me.

#36 4 years ago

I much prefer the full screen translite as posted by Aurich.

The design of the cabinet's is my least favourite thing though. I appreciate the effort to stand out and look different but we're living in an era where things like TV's and monitors are now going for ultra thin bezels, or being near bezel-less.

The chunky look isn't as appealing.

You know, if Apple designed pinball cabinets I wonder what they would look like?

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from PeteB:

I much prefer the full screen translite as posted by Aurich.
The design of the cabinet's is my least favourite thing though. I appreciate the effort to stand out and look different but we're living in an era where things like TV's and monitors are now going for ultra thin bezels, or being near bezel-less.
The chunky look isn't as appealing.
You know, if Apple designed pinball cabinets I wonder what they would look like?

I feel like the reason for that is for the changeable artwork, but I agree that it is just ugly and makes the game less appealing. There must be some way to have less bezel but still have the art be swappable.

#38 4 years ago

Cover the recess caused by the cutout. Either front mounted grills or flush mounted grills.

#39 4 years ago

Either of them will work for me, but I LOVE the idea of the additional LCD screen. Hopefully, this is the last step before you go into production. I am ready!

#40 4 years ago

Last Friday, and today, we made some significant modifications to the backbox and speaker area to accommodate a second screen in the backbox area. We will begin testing this shortly.

The pre-production backbox should be built by the end of this week - the pre-production cabinet the week after, and the first batch of production cabinets the week after that.

If testing is successful with the backbox screen, then output will mirror the playfield screen initially - however, we are also looking into two separate feeds in the future

#41 4 years ago

Great news

2 weeks later
#42 4 years ago

The info about the possibility of 2 different screen feeds is great news!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
5,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside