New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 123776)

Heighway hinting at South Park for an upcoming release?

By Law

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frolic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Butters.jpg
    sp.jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Just listened to Coast 2 Coast 153 and Andrew Heighway had some interesting things to say about their upcoming titles 3+4. This is just me guessing but here's what was stated in the interview:

-Titles 3+4 are licenses
    -They are wary of doing too many of the same thing, for example "too many cartoon themes".
    -Something about a cartoon with adult language.
    -Theme that has been done before as a pinball machine and has the staying power to be revisited.

To me, at least, I really got the South Park vibe from the comments. I'll re-listen and see if I can get some more relevant quotes.

Relevant bits start around 13 minutes in, thoughts?

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-153-an-evening-with-andrew-heighway_44154

#2 5 years ago

I hope not! Something else please.

#3 5 years ago

Ask Aurich

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Just listened to Coast 2 Coast 153 and Andrew Heighway had some interesting things to say about their upcoming titles 3+4. This is just me guessing but here's what was stated in the interview:
    -Titles 3+4 are licenses
    -They are wary of doing too many of the same thing, for example "too many cartoon themes".
    -Theme that has been done before as a pinball machine and has the staying power to be revisited.
    To me, at least, I really got the South Park vibe from the comments. I'll re-listen and see if I can get some more relevant quotes.
    Relevant bits start around 13 minutes in, thoughts?
    http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-153-an-evening-with-andrew-heighway_44154

Good guess I would say.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

The Flintbones confirmed.

#6 5 years ago

Its Mad Max, or godzilla.......ok, im just hoping

#7 5 years ago

Don't look at me man, you'll get no rumors or dirt from me!

I can think of a list of dream "cartoon" themes, but none of them have been done before.

#8 5 years ago

I can't imagine that South Park would be a financially viable theme. The Sega South Park isn't wildly popular, from what I can tell.

[edit]: What other current "adult" animated shows are there? Futuama?

#9 5 years ago

I would still vote for Team America.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can't imagine that South Park would be a financially viable theme. The Sega South Park isn't wildly popular, from what I can tell.

It's popular on location. It was a great earner. It's not popular with collectors because the game kinda sucks. Theme is great though. Just like DE Simpsons vs. Stern TSPP. Simpsons is a great theme...DE Simps sucks, Stern Simps rules. If anyone were to do a TSPP-quality SP game, it would do great.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I can think of a list of dream "cartoon" themes

Looney Tunes!

#12 5 years ago

Looney Tunes? BBBB has been done. As much as I like South Park I do not really want another pin of the same title.

Get some space ghost coast to coast or muppets.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

space ghost coast to coast

ooooh, that would be nice ..... Zorak could do the call outs

#14 5 years ago

Man, Andrew talks *really* fast. Here are a couple I pulled, but it took a lot of rewinding and such.

“we’re really going after the coin-op market”
    “not a game targeting collectors”
    “second two licenses are very strong”
    “three games released a year”
    “games that’ve been in the past”
    “maybe that game got made but really wasn’t as good as it could have been, maybe if we took it on and maybe it’s been a long period of time since that last game, maybe we could, maybe we could do something really good with that.”
    “we’ve gone after licenses that we think are going to interest as big a demographic as possible”
    “it’s all very well having a family pin, but sometimes you just want to have some beers with your friends and enjoy a bit of pinball that’s got some profanity in it, it’s entertainment.”

#16 5 years ago

From what I've heard operators loved south park when it was out, made money hand over fist for them.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

[edit]: What other current "adult" animated shows are there? Futuama?

There are some obvious ones:
    Family Guy
    American Dad
    The Simpsons
    ...and anything on Adult Swim

Two of the above also have Pins already, though they are more recent.

#18 5 years ago

On consideration, I'd like to see Archer done.

Not an older theme that's been done before so out of the running for this guess-fest though.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

This couldn't be farther from the truth. SP kills it on route, still to this day. The game is not that great, but it earns just as well (or better) than any new Stern here. SP was made during the first season or two of the show too, it has TONS of material it could use now in a pinball machine. A well done new SP pin would be a killer earner.

#20 5 years ago

Archer may be out of the running but it ought to be the one made.

#21 5 years ago

SP seems like a perfect title to revisit. The first game is generally considered poor, and it came early in the series.

And it is well known SP earned a ton on route and Heighway is aiming at operators, so to go with a title known to already earn, but give it an update. This could be TSPP to the original Simpsons.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Archer may be out of the running but it ought to be the one made.

Archer would be killer. I don't know how many people I've gotten hooked on that show.

#23 5 years ago

Also, with his interview, if they really do produce 400 to 500 a month at that 6k price point, someone is going out of business...it'll be really hard to convince someone to buy a $7500 Stern LE or a $9k Hobbit if there's a $6k Alien with LCD screen available. Question is, can he deliver on that?

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Also, with his interview, if they really do produce 400 to 500 a month at that 6k price point, someone is going out of business...it'll be really hard to convince someone to buy a $7500 Stern LE or a $9k Hobbit if there's a $6k Alien with LCD screen available. Question is, can he deliver on that?

Someone is going out of business IF the market isn't expanded by location games.

If they're all fighting over trying to sell to us, then yeah it will get ugly.

The biggest blood bath will be on the high end. JJP/DP .... such a small pool of buyers for $8k+ pins. At least Heighway is positioned to compete with the Stern Pros and the modular games are very competitive.

#25 5 years ago

I m in for a revisited South Park

#26 5 years ago

Signing Aurich points more towards a chuck norris themed pin.

#27 5 years ago
    #28 5 years ago

South Park done well would be epic. I'd be all over that title.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

“three games released a year”

Are they really at Stern capacity or is this the 10 year stretch goal?!

#30 5 years ago

Any adult swim show please

#31 5 years ago

Man

A reboot of South Park could be SICK!

I'm in. Would totally put that bitch next to FGY & TSPP

#32 5 years ago

A New South Park has the chance to be awesome!

#33 5 years ago

So many new SP characters. I would love to see a new one made.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Don't look at me man, you'll get no rumors or dirt from me!
    I can think of a list of dream "cartoon" themes, but none of them have been done before.

Tom & Jerry?
    Thunder Cats?
    Cops?
    Inhumanoids?

Which one?

#35 5 years ago

Speed Racer?

#36 5 years ago

New South Park is cool but man plus a thousand for Team America F Yea!!

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Tom & Jerry?
    Thunder Cats?
    Cops?
    Inhumanoids?
    Which one?

If I had to name a few cartoons on the top of my head that would make great pins, I'd probably go with:

Adventure Time
    Metalacolypse
    Archer

I could see any or all of those being awesome.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If I had to name a few cartoons on the top of my head that would make great pins, I'd probably go with:
    Adventure Time
    Metalacolypse
    Archer
    I could see any or all of those being awesome.

They would make fine pins, but it is my opinion that Andrew needs to have licenses that appeal to the largest possible markets. IMO, Simpson's and FG are the only adult theme cartoons with that level of mass appeal.
    Now, time to start working on some Alien artwork.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

They would make fine pins, but it is my opinion that Andrew needs to have licenses that appeal to the largest possible markets.

Yeah, as much as I love those themes, and think they have wonderful pinball potential I'd never pitch them to Andrew. Oh, Venture Bros too! But same deal.

I could make a compelling argument for everything but the catch: they just don't have wide enough market appeal. Licenses can be awesome, it's the Alien theme that made me say yes to being involved, but they need a big enough fan base to really pay their own way.

Anyways, I honestly don't know the other licenses he has. And if I find out I still won't say. But I'm going to stop naming cool cartoons just to be safe, don't want anyone to misread my comments. Still, Venture Bros? How sweet would that be?!

#41 5 years ago

FUTURAMA or perhaps bobs burgers.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Metalacolypse

YES!^

#43 5 years ago

Sounds like South Park to me. I love the Zen Pinball versions on the PS4 If they could just make that SP table into reality at a $6k price

#44 5 years ago

Futurama would be my guess. It's recognizable but not ridiculoudly expensive to license.

#45 5 years ago

South Park would be great. Gameplay aside, original pin was made after the first two seasons, and the show didn't really hit its creative stride until season 4.

#46 5 years ago

Robot chicken

#47 5 years ago

I quote South Park all the time, would love to see a new game that plays better than the old one (not exactly a tough measuring stick) and incorporates all the stuff they've done since that one was made. Scott Tenorman Must Die multi-ball is just one example that comes instantly to mind.

#48 5 years ago

Wow between the chance of Heighway making South Park and spooky doing rob zombie I can't stand it!!! Best year ever if they happen.

#49 5 years ago

Just the thought of Timmy, Jimmy Vollmer and Butters with his Bottom Bitch has me drooling.

#50 5 years ago

TIMMY!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 88.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 43.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rocket City Pinball
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 12.95
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 93.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Electronics
    Lermods
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside