Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jungle
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FT_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Really elevates the whole game.

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

Installation was easy. The translite slides out and is replaced (modular game system) quick. The old LCD had its hdmi and power disconnected, new one placed in and secured and reconnected. Easy peasy.

#2 3 years ago

Ha thought you were sticking with the little one? Looks great.

#4 3 years ago

That's nice. Only way to go on my Alien order. Thanks for posting the pics!

#5 3 years ago

I'm working on the Big Boy LCD backglass design for Alien now.

#6 3 years ago

Nice.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm working on the Big Boy LCD backglass design for Alien now.

Send me your secret pictures!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The old LCD had its hdmi and power disconnected, new one placed in and secured and reconnected. Easy peasy.

So what happens to your "old" small LCD? It looks like it's still lit--or is that a piece of art that you slip back in?

#9 3 years ago

Tangential question, but, question remains. If large screen LCD is in backboard, and playfield is same on LE and standard Alien game: what (art wise) differentiates LE from standard? Please elucidate.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Tangential question, but, question remains. If large screen LCD is in backboard, and playfield is same on LE and standard Alien game: what (art wise) differentiates LE from standard? Please elucidate.

Side art and backglass frame. And of course the goodies (beacons, fiber optic lights, shaker) and armor.

You could just get the standard and upgrade and powdercoat your own armor I guess. No idea if that would actually save you any money.

#11 3 years ago

UAU!!!
That's it.. if Alien turns out to be amazing as it looks (I only buy machines after I see them..), I'm getting one!

#12 3 years ago

Congrats on your purchase, Frolic.

I saw all the configurations of Full Throttle (big screen, little screen, static backglass) side by side the other day, and there's no question that the Big Boy is the way to go in my opinion. Notice that nobody is bothering to play the static backglass version on the right.

Your games room is beyond awesome by the way...

FT_(resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

So what happens to your "old" small LCD? It looks like it's still lit--or is that a piece of art that you slip back in?

The translite fits the entire backbox, with the large rectangular opening for the LCD. So the little Full Throttle art at the bottom and the top part are what remains visible on the translite. Both are illuminated by the existing leds that were in the backbox.

#14 3 years ago

If they are not bothering to play a version of this pin because of the size of the DMD then they need to have a word with themselves...

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

If they are not bothering to play a version of this pin because of the size of the DMD then they need to have a word with themselves...

All 4 games were played almost non-stop for most of the show.

However, there was a period of a couple of hours on both Wednesday and Thursday when that wasn't the case as the show was very quiet.

#16 3 years ago

Does the large lcd just mimic the small lcd on the pf? Seems redundant if that is the case and it would be nice if they were integrated differently.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

All 4 games were played almost non-stop for most of the show.

However, there was a period of a couple of hours on both Wednesday and Thursday when that wasn't the case as the show was very quiet.

They certainly were popular - didn't mean to imply otherwise and apologies if it came across that way. I was just pointing out that when there's a choice of machines, people naturally seem to go for the ones with the Big Boy in first. The one with the static backglass is still one amazingly fast game.

#18 3 years ago

Perhaps a video, Frolic?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Does the large lcd just mimic the small lcd on the pf? Seems redundant if that is the case and it would be nice if they were integrated differently.

Honestly I'm not sure that's really the way to go. The big screen is really nice, and it's handy to be able to look up to it to get the info, we're just used to looking up. But it's also for the audience around the pin. And they want to see all the same stuff the player does. Scores, ball #, the mode animations, etc.

I just can't think for Alien what I'd want to show on the big screen that's different, it's all really useful info, and everyone wants to see the animations and instructions.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly I'm not sure that's really the way to go. The big screen is really nice, and it's handy to be able to look up to it to get the info, we're just used to looking up. But it's also for the audience around the pin. And they want to see all the same stuff the player does. Scores, ball #, the mode animations, etc.
I just can't think for Alien what I'd want to show on the big screen that's different, it's all really useful info, and everyone wants to see the animations and instructions.

It will be at least a bit different because of the resolution though, right? Like you can take that larger form factor and spread out the information more and such.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

It will be at least a bit different because of the resolution though, right? Like you can take that larger form factor and spread out the information more and such.

The playfield screen actually has more pixels than the backbox screen. Playfield is 16:10, and the backbox is 16:9. Not a problem to address that or anything, but it's not like the backbox screen actually has more room for information, it's just physically larger. And it's further away, and the people watching it are likely standing behind the player.

So I wouldn't spread the information out differently really, no.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The playfield screen actually has more pixels than the backbox screen. Playfield is 16:10, and the backbox is 16:9. Not a problem to address that or anything, but it's not like the backbox screen actually has more room for information, it's just physically larger. And it's further away, and the people watching it are likely standing behind the player.
So I wouldn't spread the information out differently really, no.

Ah interesting. In my mind's eye I was seeing the playfield LCD as more square-shaped, but evidentially it isn't.

#23 3 years ago

I think the large format lcd works well just with blown up info. It isn't or shouldn't try to be a computer monitor.

I think about when I take my kids to Dave & Buster's, and the types of lcd displays I see there. Big, bright, colorful and simple. This seems to be in the spirit of that and would be right at home there.

#24 3 years ago

I'm probably in the minority and I do love Aliens, the first film is the best for me by far but I like all of them and yet I really don't want too many clips from the films, if it ends up being strictly the score and other info with some homemade animation then that would be cool with me, in fact better. If there were to be clips then I would prefer they were used in the attract mode and beginning and ending sequences, maybe to begin a mode and starting multi's so I could watch it then quickly back to info. Curious to see how many of you agree and disagree.

#25 3 years ago

I could see the GI turn off except for some low level mean green, then and animation kicks in just before multiball launches...something along those lines would be cool

#26 3 years ago

BAM!!!.....big screen rules.....and w Alien ( and Aurich's art around it)? Win, Win, Win!!!

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm probably in the minority and I do love Aliens, the first film is the best for me by far but I like all of them and yet I really don't want too many clips from the films, if it ends up being strictly the score and other info with some homemade animation then that would be cool with me, in fact better. If there were to be clips then I would prefer they were used in the attract mode and beginning and ending sequences, maybe to begin a mode and starting multi's so I could watch it then quickly back to info. Curious to see how many of you agree and disagree.

I've addressed this before, but it's buried in a long ass thread, so to summarize:

We are using movie clips, but in a "DMD" like fashion, nothing long, no sitting there watching cut scenes, it's all fast paced and meant to not distract you from the ball. When you start a mode you get a few second animation, ball pops out, instructions or info are on screen, and you play the mode. Hit the shots or make goals you get a little clip and some animated text, and you keep moving.

At all times except for big animations (say a mode start or extra ball) you will see your score, the other player's score, your ball #, extra balls, credits, etc.

So basically I think you'll be very happy.

If you want to watch the films pop in the Blu-ray, we're here to play pinball. We'll of course immerse you in the world, but the ball is the important part.

1 week later
#28 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think the large format lcd works well just with blown up info. It isn't or shouldn't try to be a computer monitor.
I think about when I take my kids to Dave & Buster's, and the types of lcd displays I see there. Big, bright, colorful and simple. This seems to be in the spirit of that and would be right at home there.

Very good point. "...And simple " the key at these locations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
$ 35.00
$ 109.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside