Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinballRulez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20151015_184830.jpg
image.jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Hey all,

Just a thought on the backbox LCD I thought I'd throw out there. Just looking at the Hobbit pin, I do love the large screen in the backbox and was thinking how awesome this could look with a far cooler theme like Alien(s) (IMHO of course). As Heighway are showing they're open to different configurations, including an optional backbox LCD, I was wondering what about the option for a large "full size" LCD in the backbox as well? Understandably this would involve extra coding, so perhaps the small sized screen could just mirror the playfield whereas the larger one could have different code to take advantage of it's scale.

Anyhow, not looking to stir any JJP vs Heighway sort arguments, just curious about this option as I personally think the full LCD looks amazing.

#2 3 years ago

It is not that it would not be awesome to have a larger screen on the backbox but They have to draw the line somewhere and this would mess with the whole system so I would rather they focus on bringing us the goods than adding even more stuff this complicated. (it would also increase the price significantly)Maybe after 3 or 4 games but not now.

They still need to design the fiber optic lights, the chrome option, etc. Lots of stuff going on

#3 3 years ago

From my understanding, the Heighway model is for LCD in the playfield. The backbox one is optional. So it is unlikely they will do anything more with it than they already have.

Plus their system supports 50 individually addressable LEDs in the backbox, so that will add a lot to light shows as they take advantage of it.

#4 3 years ago

The giant LCD is impressive, but I can rarely look at it while playing--great for bystanders...I would rather resources went in to the playfield/components. As others have said, they have a system set up which sounds like a good one and doesn't really allow for giant hobbit-esque lcd up top.

#5 3 years ago

Totally agree on not rushing anything in now but I would like to see this at some point. I've not seen the existing LCD in the backbox going yet so maybe that will be cool enough, but I'm just going off the amazing attention grabbing use of the big screen in the JJP games. But yes of course, the actual playfield elements are the important thing right now. Particularly keen to see the fibre optic lights.

#6 3 years ago

Green you are right. Once JJP have several games on sale and plenty of second hand games are available to operators all other machines will look obsolete almost as much as what happened in 1947. What pinheads like will be secondary. From now onwards if you have great content it needs to be in your face. Jack knows this.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Green you are right. Once JJP have several games on sale and plenty of second hand games are available to operators all other machines will look obsolete almost as much as what happened in 1947. What pinheads like will be secondary. From now onwards if you have great content it needs to be in your face. Jack knows this.

I happen to think it will make even less of an impact than the transition from alphanumeric to DMD, and is far less of a big deal than people make it out to be. I'd buy a brand new game with nothing but alphanumerics if it was fun and had good rules and a kick ass art package.

I'm looking forward to what we can do with the LCD screen for Alien, I'm into color and animations too. But it's definitely not the reason I play pinball, and it's not going to make or break any game for me.

#9 3 years ago

I been in on TH and now have Full Throttle on order. I find the concept of Heighway much more appealing than that of JJP.

Do not get me wrong, the LCD of JJP is just stunning but I think in the long run the functionality of the Heighway LCD will win over the 'movie' LCD of JJP.

It is about pinall, not about watching a movie.
And indeed Heighway will also evolve when it concerns the use of their LCD. Many options have already been spoken of for implementing in Alien.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I been in on TH and now have Full Throttle on order. I find the concept of Heighway much more appealing than that of JJP.
Do not get me wrong, the LCD of JJP is just stunning but I think in the long run the functionality of the Heighway LCD will win over the 'movie' LCD of JJP.
It is about pinall, not about watching a movie.
And indeed Heighway will also evolve when it concerns the use of their LCD. Many options have already been spoken of for implementing in Alien.

One of the intriguing elements of the big LCD in TH, is the information, not the movie.

I think it's visually a vast improvement over the WOZ LCD, the way the elements are divided. There are so many modes and qualifiers, the LCD provides easy visual access to what you need to do, as well as your progress.

I think it could easily have as big of an impact as the transition from alpha numeric to dmd. Pausing a game to scroll through "instant info" will be as outdated as having to manually push up a ball from the trough on old EM's.

The high def video is only part of the allure. Games with complex rulesets will benefit the most.

#11 3 years ago

I guess I can see the positives for an operator of having a giant LCD advertisement. What % of games actually make it to location vs home use though? I have no idea, but as a home user I rarely look at the screen.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I guess I can see the positives for an operator of having a giant LCD advertisement. What % of games actually make it to location vs home use though? I have no idea, but as a home user I rarely look at the screen.

It's the big question but funnily enough what the % split is NOW is not the point. It is what will it be in future. Big screen with diagnostics on it could easily appeal more to operators than the Heighway module system IF the games take more money. I think Heighway has done great so far but they must not lose out on the location market.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

It's the big question but funnily enough what the % split is NOW is not the point. It is what will it be in future. Big screen with diagnostics on it could easily appeal more to operators than the Heighway module system IF the games take more money. I think Heighway has done great so far but they must not lose out on the location market.

Hard to tell what the future will bring.

What I do know is that Heighway has interest in new technology. As you might know they already investigated the use of a 46" transparant screen as a playfield cover. Did not make it this time, but who knows

Here is a quote from an article concerning Heighway Pinball:

'Deluxe models, due later this year, will have a 46" transparent screen that resides over the playfield surface and below the top glass. With images and video appearing and disappearing during play, the transparent screen will reportedly provide truly immersive experience. But core gameplay remains true to tradition with plenty of ramps and drop targets. The digital technology, Heighway explained, is intended to enhance traditional play, not replace. - See more at: http://vendingtimes.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=EB79A487112B48A296B38C81345C8C7F&nm=Vending+Features&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=D7587242D4C24F48A59309F15CD7DBB0#sthash.MQF20Wjv.dpuf

#14 3 years ago

What I do know is that Heighway has interest in new technology. As you might know they already investigated the use of a 46" transparant screen as a playfield cover. Did not make it this time, but who knows

Now that is a mighty interesting piece of information.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMeerkat:

Now that is a mighty interesting piece of information.

It is interesting but the article is over 2 years old and they have clearly dropped the idea for now. As mentioned above the hobbit LCD is going to be completely different class to anything before. I'm sure it will be thought of as an improvement by many pinheads but it's the in your face " you are playing a state-of-the art 21st century game not antique machinery " that counts. It's the effect on the "outside world" and consequently resale values that will in my opinion force other companies to follow suit or fold.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

It is interesting but the article is over 2 years old and they have clearly dropped the idea for now. As mentioned above the hobbit LCD is going to be completely different class to anything before. I'm sure it will be thought of as an improvement by many pinheads but it's the in your face " you are playing a state-of-the art 21st century game not antique machinery " that counts. It's the effect on the "outside world" and consequently resale values that will in my opinion force other companies to follow suit or fold.

The LCD is just a small part of the total concept and in its JJP form may not appeal to all pinheads. Dutch pinball has an interesting implementation, Heighway has one, P3 has one, Quetzal Pinball (Captain nemo) has one etc. You make it sound that JJP has invented the holy grail and are the example for all other companies. I do not think they are.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

It is interesting but the article is over 2 years old and they have clearly dropped the idea for now.

I'm pretty certain Andrew has posted on pinside that the idea is shelved for now.

#18 3 years ago

The LCD is just a small part of the total concept and in its JJP form may not appeal to all pinheads. Dutch pinball has an interesting implementation, Heighway has one, P3 has one, Quetzal Pinball (Captain nemo) has one etc. You make it sound that JJP has invented the holy grail and are the example for all other companies. I do not think they are.

I bet in 1947 someone said flippers are just a small part of the total concept. If the outside world generates enough sales "in one direction " then one company could dominate the business. It's not been tested yet and won't be until JJP has multiple games at distributors.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

It's not been tested yet and won't be until JJP has multiple games at distributors.

at the rate Hobbit is going that may be the flaw in your LCD loving plan.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm pretty certain Andrew has posted on pinside that the idea is shelved for now.

We actually revisit this every 3-6 months, and did so only a week ago.

As and when the technology and cost make options like this commercially viable, then we will re-visit it again.

However, it is worth noting that we are constantly looking at new technologies and options - and some options may well become available sooner rather than later

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We actually revisit this every 3-6 months, and did so only a week ago.
As and when the technology and cost make options like this commercially viable, then we will re-visit it again.
However, it is worth noting that we are constantly looking at new technologies and options - and some options may well become available sooner rather than later

I think the concept you now have is great and it looks that all technology is well adapted to or higher than 'current standards'.

I will report back here to confirm if my opinion matches reality when my Full Throttle has arrived

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

If your referring to what I saw a sneak preview of via your phone in Manchester

image.jpeg

#23 3 years ago

Full screen in the back box

- Jeff

20151015_184830.jpg

#24 3 years ago

Did Op know something we didn't, or just esp?....good get....

#25 3 years ago

heh no, I am clueless. Delighted to see this and Heighway's commitment to further innovation. They really are an exciting company.

#26 3 years ago

Wonder how this impacts the ugrade to the small screen in de backbox for people that already have a Full Throttle or one on order

#27 3 years ago

Wonder how this impacts the ugrade to the small screen in de backbox for people that already have a Full Throttle or one on order

They have both in that pic...? maybe scores vs animation

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

They have both in that pic...? maybe scores vs animation

No idea. Think it is for display only as shown at the expo. I have heard nothing about functionality yet.

Asked Andrew some questions by mail to shine some light on this matter.

#29 3 years ago

Oh its playable. I put on a few games on it last night.
It's just the big screen. Right below the screen is a plastic where the smaller screen option might go

Jeff

#30 3 years ago

I've just dropped them an email to upgrade my upgrade

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

I've just dropped them an email to upgrade my upgrade

Thinking of that too

Been watching YouTube videos of the big and small screen. And I must admit that the small screen is not so appealing anymore. Especially when you have in mind what cool movie clips can be added in the Alien and future pins.

#32 3 years ago

Thinking of that too
Been watching YouTube videos of the big and small screen. And I must admit that the small screen is not so appealing anymore. Especially when you have in mind what cool movie clips can be added in the Alien and future pins.

I know too many options!

That video swung it for me

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

I know too many options!
That video swung it for me

This is for sure helping me in my decision
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-rule-set?tu=aurich#post-2756498

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside